PDA

View Full Version : Lizard Temple Guard vs Fear...

LanceB
04-06-2007, 21:06
Unsure about situation where Temple Guard (with Slann in second rank with BSB) are in combat with a fear-causing enemy, let's say VC Grave Guard.

Grave Guard outnumber me and win combat resoultion by one.

Normally you auto-fail break tests (except for double-one Insane Courage), but does the Temple Guard's Sacred Duty mean I can take leadership test on Slann's Ld9?

I'm thinking it's a no, auto break...

If so, is the BSB any use in this scenario?

Many thanks for any help...

theunwantedbeing
04-06-2007, 21:25
Unless the unit causes fear,if beaten by an outnumbering fear causing enemy you only pass your break test on a roll of double 1.
You still get your cold blooded ability which gives you more chance to stick around though.

If you get beaten by a fear causing unit you dont fear(either you cause fear or terror or are simply immune to one or both) then you take your break test normally using the highest available leadership.

Being stubborn doesnt help you against being beaten by a fear causing enemy that ounumbers you.

LanceB
04-06-2007, 21:26
Yikes, thanks.

(I just tried to get double one on three dice - just 31 attempts and I did it!)

ZomboCom
05-06-2007, 00:38
On average it should take about 14 attempts on 3 dice, giving the temple guard around a 1 in 7 chance of holding thanks to the bsb.

Give the slann the totem of prophesy if you're worried about being autobroken.

MarcoPollo
05-06-2007, 02:41
Either that special totem or just tone down to regular saurus and move the slann in and out at your wishes. This is a good bait and switch trick where he sends a pile of forces to dispatch a cheapish unit of saurus with an expensive slann, and you pop the slann out of trouble and put his units out of position.

Nice little trick play. If you do it well

Goq Gar
05-06-2007, 04:01
Take the banner of Sunlight, Cause fear. Simple solution.

ZomboCom
05-06-2007, 12:31
Take the banner of Sunlight, Cause fear. Simple solution.

You mean the Totem of Prophesy...

nyahuma
07-06-2007, 04:14
A scar vet on a cold one also makes the unit essentially immune to fear. Neat trick that.

ReveredChaplainDrake
07-06-2007, 23:41
A scar vet on a cold one also makes the unit essentially immune to fear. Neat trick that.

Hahaha, this is rich! Of course, with a Scar-Vet, a Cold One, and about 4x Temple Guard (give or take), why are you losing combat to anything?

Oh, and the Totem of Prophecy only works if the Slann is in the fighting rank. The Lizardmen book makes no reservations about the Slann's banner still working in the second row, but the magic still does.

However, one thing that does work is the spell "Walking Death" (Lore of Death) with the Slann. Make your Temple Guard cause fear through magic! Unfortunately, anybody with a lot of fear causers is likely going to have lots of dispel power, like VCs, TKs, or other Lizards.

Gorbad Ironclaw
08-06-2007, 05:51
Hahaha, this is rich! Of course, with a Scar-Vet, a Cold One, and about 4x Temple Guard (give or take), why are you losing combat to anything?

Not so hard really. Since there are so many points in that unit, the opponent can often times slaughter the rest of the army, then gang up on the temple guards.

The Slann is really much better off on his own, he gets much harder to catch and kill. And if you really want, keep some normal Saurus warriors around he can join if for some reason he needs to.