PDA

View Full Version : Venice 40k build diary (city fight project) *pictures!*

Pages : [1] 2 3

Anvils Hammer
11-08-2005, 14:19
Over the next week or so, i intend to turn this-
my board so far (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/vendice1.jpg)
into this-
venice! ( www.photo.net/.../venice-bridge-of-sighs-84)
a city fight board based on venice, with canals, bridges, archs and high, narrow buildings.

In this thread I will document my progress, techniques used etc etc, hopefully inspiring others to create city fight boards, becasue I love city fight.

day 3

so far i have cut out and sanded all the foundation blocks that will support the buildings, i am now starting on construction, one building at a time, untill the whole city is finnished.

my first sucess- i have manage to get the brick wall shown in this picture out of the mould, creating a mould which will allow me to duplicated this wall lots of times.
this shows roughly what parts of the city will look like, but with a second story and an arch facade in front of the pavement.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/vendice2.jpg

plasmadaemon
11-08-2005, 14:22
Very nice, are you moulding all of the bits that are going to be on the board?

make sure you make some nuildings which one can open up to see the insides :chrome:

mirakel_jocke
11-08-2005, 14:37
It looks nice so far Anvil!

Gaah! All the cityfight Boards that people are making make me sick! It is not like I don't like them, infact I do lie 'em, but this I am on the brink of making my own, wich will delay my (so called) painting schedule...

I will keep an eye on this thread cause it is interesting to see how it goes...

/Mirakel_Jocke

Hercco
11-08-2005, 14:49
Very interesting project. And looks really good so far. Don't forget to keep us posted.

Here's correct URL for the second link: http://www.photo.net/photo/pcd3610/venice-bridge-of-sighs-84.4.jpg

Anvils Hammer
11-08-2005, 15:00
da dah!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/vendicedoor.jpg

ive taken the original peice, cut out a door and added the arch, i will now make a mould for this one as well.

hercco, thanks

plasmadeamon, Im not going to mould all of it, it would be too difficult as i want some variention, the palace espeicially will be a scratch buiult center peice.
stuf like bridges, fountains and some walls will be carved individually, the moulds are just a way of saving time on the wall sections.
EVERY building and EVERY floor will have removable tops, so the entire city will be A. accessable and B. interior detailed.
i might rig some working LED street lamps for really atmostpheric night fights.

mirakel_jocke
11-08-2005, 15:20
Oh, street lamps would be nice!

And about alll the interior detail, sweet!

/Mirakel_Jocke

plasmadaemon
11-08-2005, 15:23
hell yeah! :D awesome arch!

And the LED idea is very good, maybe put some 'under' the water to make an underwater light effect? Also you will need quite a lot of random bitz for the interior detail, to make the whole board seem very detailed and lovely :wtf:

x-esiv-4c
11-08-2005, 15:26
looking geat so far!

Anvils Hammer
11-08-2005, 17:39
ok experiment results are in,
the mould dint work, i now have some excellent brick rubble, but nothing more,
Im now considering other building techniques...

Thoume
11-08-2005, 17:48
...the mould dint work, i now have some excellent brick rubble, but nothing more...
Yea... I was going to warn you about that one... I remember mixing some filler on a blister pack and knew that the only way I was going to get it out would be with a chisel or a hammer. I take it you used the latter?

Anvils Hammer
11-08-2005, 18:10
Yea... I was going to warn you about that one... I remember mixing some filler on a blister pack and knew that the only way I was going to get it out would be with a chisel or a hammer. I take it you used the latter?

you read my mind!, i did put pleanty of oil in the mould, but in the end i resorted to hammering it.

Democritus
11-08-2005, 18:21
It looks awesome, what material did you use to make the foundations and the wall-sections?

Thoume
11-08-2005, 18:26
I'm guessing some sort of foam, right?

you read my mind!, i did put pleanty of oil in the mould, but in the end i resorted to hammering it.
Well, I didn't use oil for the plaster of paris example I shown earlier. It's not as if I've done proper molding before...

speaking of which, it would be a good idea to use plaster of paris for thick small/medium sized details and stuff rather than huge pieces like walls (I just hate to think what would happen if you dropped one...)

Anvils Hammer
11-08-2005, 19:15
It looks awesome, what material did you use to make the foundations and the wall-sections?

im using sheets of inch think loft insulation foam, its foil coated, so its a pain in the ass to saw off the foil, but its all i could get locally, its like polystyrene, made of the samestuff, but much denser so you can cut better details into it.

Im currently working on builidng the bottom floor and interior of the first building, plus the roof of the second story and an an arch facade around the bottom. in front of the building.

checm back in a few hours to see it if all goes to plan

dugaal
11-08-2005, 19:50
You mention that the building materials are similiar to polystyrene foam, im curious how you intend to paint it in the end. Do you know if it is spraypaint safe? id hate to see the city get melted to the ground at the painting stage, and if it is safe, i will definitely have to look into getting some myself.

Anvils Hammer
11-08-2005, 20:06
no, its not spray paint safe, however, Im well aware of the problem, and i will be painting it with pva glue first to seal it, or just hand undercoat the thing.

Gaebriel
11-08-2005, 20:28
The day I first read about it, I thought cool. Now I see the layout, and the first parts, it's simply amazing! :)

Will you add what goes to sections 1-15? Or at least the non-standard parts? (If one can talk of standard here...)

Keep that up, do it for those of us who have two left hands or no time for terrain-building... :(

edit:
GWs Roughcoat is supposed not to melt styrofoam or similar materials. Though rough is possibly not suited here. But if GW can do it, probably other companies have a similar product?

Anvils Hammer
11-08-2005, 20:42
The day I first read about it, I thought cool. Now I see the layout, and the first parts, it's simply amazing! :)

Will you add what goes to sections 1-15? Or at least the non-standard parts? (If one can talk of standard here...)

Keep that up, do it for those of us who have two left hands or no time for terrain-building... :(

you had me scared for a few milli seconds there, for some reason, i read the first part of you post and assumed i was about to get slated eg "but now its just rubbish".
maby im just really paranoid!
thanks for the encoragment!

here is the plan Im currently working from-
Im open to suggestions for replacing some of the standard buildings with more interesting ones.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/vendiceplan.jpg

Crozius Arcanum!
11-08-2005, 21:11
Looks very nice, good luck with the project! I hope to see more pictures soon, great work so far :)

Anvils Hammer
11-08-2005, 21:21
ok ive just finnished carving one 30 cm peice of brick wall..

one 30cm peice... 400 individual cuts with the stanly knife.... this project is going to slowly drive out my sanity as the week progresses....

on the better note.. pictures within the hour...

Anvils Hammer
11-08-2005, 22:49
woohoo!

I reckon this building took just short of 1000 separate cuts so far, and it was so worth it!.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/vendicebuildingframe.jpg

the inside is totally smooth and ready to be have wooden frames put up/be painted, i think I will put a dividing wall of some kind inside to make two rooms and more windows/doors etc.

Vberg
11-08-2005, 22:58
This is one ambitious project and its good to see your not al mouth and no trousers. This is looking brilliant. Very inspirational. Looks like hard work but the results speak for themselves. Well done i will follow your prgress religously.

Thoume
11-08-2005, 23:10
Now, will you be painting them as they are or do you think it would be a good idea to texture-paint them? Just a suggesting, as it would depend on if you wanted a cleanish looking city or a rough one...

Anvils Hammer
11-08-2005, 23:11
the city at the end of day three (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/vendiceday3.jpg)
goodnight warseer.

Gaebriel
11-08-2005, 23:21
This is getting better each picture. If you start lacking motivation or similar, just post here, we'll surely pull you through... :)

Captain Brown
11-08-2005, 23:33
Impressive, most impressive.

A warning about sealing your foam, you will often need several coats before you can use any form of spray (otherwise small areas will melt, which if you want a ruined city from centuries of industrial pollution is ok but rather depressing when all the hard work shrinks).

For the foam in my city I hand painted it with a larger brush and for paint I used some cheap acrylics from a hardware store (much more affordable than GW and foam will soak up allot of paint). Some people have painted their foam in watered down PVA first, but I have never tried that.

Sleep is good otherwise terrain building gamer may lose tips of fingers to extra sharp knife...

CELS
11-08-2005, 23:53
I've got some experience with foam. Painting it with watered down PVA is alright. Painting it with undiluted PVA is better.

Awesome work, Anvil's Hammer. You have inspired me.

Anvils Hammer
12-08-2005, 07:22
morning everyone, for some reason, I woke up really early and couldent get back to sleep.... and so begins day 4 of the project..

thanks for all your advice and encoragement, Gaebriel, Im well motivated at the moment, but i have a feeling i will be begging to die befoer the end of this... we will see.

Alco Engineer
12-08-2005, 07:32
Very ambitious nut looking fantastic so far keep up the good work, I look forward to some more progess shots!

Mike Johnson
12-08-2005, 09:33
amazingly talented

Vberg
12-08-2005, 11:28
morning everyone, for some reason, I woke up really early and couldent get back to sleep.... and so begins day 4 of the project..

thanks for all your advice and encoragement, Gaebriel, Im well motivated at the moment, but i have a feeling i will be begging to die befoer the end of this... we will see.

How awful would that be dieing before you get to play on your lovingly crafted board. Just keep the end product foremost in your mind and dreams of the hours, days, weeks of pleasure you will get gaming on this board. Unless your as lazy as me then your beyond help ;) .

The boyz
12-08-2005, 11:41
Wow thats looking good so far Anvils Hammer, cant wait to see more pictures of your progress.

Good luck.

Anvils Hammer
12-08-2005, 12:25
ok, not really an update, but im going down town to do some errands so expect some more pictures around 3 oclock, im currently making a building out of MDF, its alot of cutting, but my jigsaw speeds up the process somewhat(its like a craft knife through paper).

im currently constructing this building in an adjacent square to the first building, and then im going to make a second story that covers both buildings and the gap between. then.. then..

etc..

The boyz
12-08-2005, 12:40
Ideal cant wait to see some photos of it.

Setomidor
12-08-2005, 13:20
Take a look at tthis (http://www.hirstarts.com/) site. This is someone selling great premade molds for projects like yours. Start by browsing the "Projects" page for inspiration. (Big yellow thing that doesnīt look like a button, located just under the word instructions.

Good luck :)

//Seto, who canīt stop planning a plaster Mordheim board with a ruined cathedral...ruined....cathe...drooool

Puffin Magician
12-08-2005, 13:46
one 30cm peice... 400 individual cuts with the stanly knife....
Only now do I notice how much work you're putting into this. Sweet merciful Jesus.

Why on earth are you doing that to yourself? It's either going to wear you out and rub away all your motivation or you'll get 1/4 of all the buildings done and you'll be sick and tired of doing do much damn cuts. Find another way to do this or skip it altogether, for the sake of your mind and this beautiful board. Maybe making some sort of mold to press against it and leave the imprint of bricks/cobblestones?

So far the map looks pretty good, and I know you said this is not a tank-friendly board, but it looks hideously claustrophobic. Unless you plan on leaving 6" spaces on the sections where the large bridges go, there's going to be no room for tanks to get anywhere.

Example: You're currently working on Section #3, which the map shows will have a large bridge joining it, yet there's no room on the front of the section to allow anything bigger than a Sentinel from walking onto it.

I think you should get some decent-sized paper [A3], draw a scale map and figure out exactly where every street will go. Plan where the bridges, side-streets, alleyways and main roads will go, then design the structures around that. There'll be plenty of room for factories, palaces, and everything else you desire [especially on the second level where I guess there'll be no vehicles at all], and you'll allow big vehicles from moving about the table. It's great to have a board that's so densely covered in terrain, but it shouldn't punish people who bring a Land Raider or Leman Russ and have them never fire a shot because they're unable to leave their deployment zone.

I think the Eldar would do rather well on this board; skimmers ignore the water, plenty of cover for Guardians to hide behind before blasting away with their Shurcats... and it discourages units like Dark Reapers, Wraithlords and Rangers. Would be interesting to see.

Another thing you may want to consider is that if you use Flyers on this table, their bases will need to go somewhere. Remember to leave some areas flat simply for this purpose; don't cover the tops of all your buildings with rubble, pipes, etc, and leave your resin water relatively flat so things can be placed there as well.

Anvils Hammer
12-08-2005, 14:11
Puffin you make some excellent points, but first your questions,
yes, it is a whole lot of work,
yes, I am working on finding shortcuts
Im doing it to myself because of the final product.. the final product... i can see it in my mind, its only 150 hours away....
anyway you can talk, you do all sorts of insanly sized projects.

when i said not tank friendly, i meant- "bring a tank and you will lose"
when i say large bridge, i mean- big enough for 3 25mm based to stnad next to each other on it, or a sentinal/dreadnought etc.

a few points for you to consider with reguard to terrain-
-there are no roads, no side streets, no allyways, this is based on venice, its allwater!
-tanks can move in the water, the grand canal was mesured specifically to allow a land raider to move down it, the second biggest canal can fit smaller tanks like russes, chimeras and rhino chassis tanks.
-there will be lots of flat areas for bases.

I ve just though of a way of A. making it more practical for normal games and B. reducing the ammount of work i have to put in.
If if have less proper buildings and more flattish ruined areas, both problems are solved...

Anvils Hammer
12-08-2005, 14:14
setomido, thanks for that link, i am very interested in the roman pillars and the brick wall mould, i wil see about costs and delivery times and consider getting some moulds.

Setomidor
12-08-2005, 14:22
No problem, canīt wait to hear how they turn out for you as Iīd really want to do some myself :)

Good luck!

//Seto

Anvils Hammer
12-08-2005, 14:55
ok ive just phoned up wargames world and ordered a brick mould, its exactly what i need and for Ģ25 its a bargine in terms of labour saved. i now need to get some plaster of paris.
the best bit is that they can send it today, it should arrive in a few days time....

now i must leg it to the bank and put some more money in my debit card account

bty pics will be quite soon, im a little behind shedual.

Setomidor
12-08-2005, 16:16
I read somewhere you should use something called hard plaster as opposed to normal as the normal plaster is too...not exacly fragile but donīt know a better word :)

You can buy that stuff from a hobby grosist but theyīre kind of expensive. There is a company called Cebex in sweden that sells hard plaster, donīt know about england :P

//Seto

Vberg
12-08-2005, 16:37
I read somewhere you should use something called hard plaster as opposed to normal as the normal plaster is too...not exacly fragile but donīt know a better word :)

//Seto

Brittle is the word i think your looking for. Dont worry your English is certainly better than my Swedish :p .

I have noticed that with normal plaster it is very brittle and will chip at the slightest of contact. Also another thing wouldnt the board get rather heavy if large sections were to be made in plaster?

Setomidor
12-08-2005, 17:44
Oh well, you learn something every day they say... ;)

Yeah the bord will probably be kind of heavy. If it was me I'd tro to make it as modular as possible to keep the cumberness down and to make it possible for different layouts in different games.

Interesting project tho :)

//Seto

Anvils Hammer
12-08-2005, 17:55
WOOHOO!!

almost 3 hours behind schedual, the promised update pics, I hope it was worth the wait.

Im very glad to have made some progress, every time i finnish a part I get a better idea of the finnished board and it keeps me motivated through all the mindless mesuring hacking sawing and carving.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/buildingfloorcomplete.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/roofoff1.jpg

Gaebriel
12-08-2005, 18:10
I don't find the words... So what shall I do once you're finished?

This is officially one of the most ambitious projects I've witnessed. :)

I hope the people playing on that board will truly appreciate it.

And on playing, I would probably make it a non-vehicle board, so no vehicles allowed. Or only water-vehicles made by VDR.

malika
12-08-2005, 18:12
Dammit I wish I could see the pictures, but my computer doesnt open photobucket

Setomidor
12-08-2005, 18:17
it looks really really good! :)
Keep up the good work

//Seto

Anvils Hammer
12-08-2005, 18:20
I don't find the words... So what shall I do once you're finished?

This is officially one of the most ambitious projects I've witnessed. :)

I hope the people playing on that board will truly appreciate it.

And on playing, I would probably make it a non-vehicle board, so no vehicles allowed. Or only water-vehicles made by VDR.

Thank you for your praise, when im finnished, put some welding googles on or somthing to dampen the effect :D

no tanks might be a nice idea, im certainly going to make some generic boats fo use with the map.

you do realise.. this board will be the ultimate kill-team senario!

Anvils Hammer
12-08-2005, 18:26
Dammit I wish I could see the pictures, but my computer doesnt open photobucket

if you like, PM me your email adress and I will send you a picture. its not as good as gaebriel thinks though.

Puffin Magician
12-08-2005, 18:32
Remember, there are races more advanced than you Imperial types with skimmer vehicles... :p

I'd say that Chimeras get the Amphibious upgrade for free [can't remember if they do already], or allow other vehicles [with their highest armour value under 14] to buy it for +xpts. That'll allow some vehicles to play around in the water.

I didn't realize that's what you planned to do for the 'roads'; 3" wide bridges are, as you say, only really big enough for squads and small vehicles [Land Speeders, Dreadnoughts, War Walkers].

Updates are impressive, although I think you'd get more finished if you weren't posting here!

Vberg
12-08-2005, 18:55
Yet again its looking good. I like the MDF building and the way the building stradles the waterway. Just ignore puffin keep posting! ;) This thread is your motivation and it keeps me from getting bored. Keep it up.

Anvils Hammer
12-08-2005, 20:11
two battle feilds??

looking at the board and how its devloping, you have the ground floor, the second floor, and in many places, the 3rd floor.
Ive just noticed somthing about fire arcs, because of the extreemly narrow gaps between buildings, it is ipossible to fire from the ground floor to the second floor and vice versa, there is also extreemly resticted mobility between levels.
I think when it is finnished, there will be two battle fields, one will be ground level including the canals, and the other will be the upper bridges, second floor and up and the roof tops. this creates exciting tactical posibilitys and missions.

*stops thinking and starts builidng again*

Vberg
12-08-2005, 20:29
Build monkey boy build!

Setomidor
12-08-2005, 20:31
yeah, get back to it. We havenīt got all week :|

Anvils Hammer
12-08-2005, 20:34
yeah, get back to it. We havenīt got all week :|

I've got all week!
, I have the house to myself and nothing to do untill carnage toruney next weekend, so my build diary will be updated regularly i assure you.

Thoume
12-08-2005, 20:58
Sounds like me, except the tourney I'm going to is tomorrow! lol!

well, I've got at least 3 weeks before college starts...

Vberg
12-08-2005, 21:11
I've got all week!

Ive got a whole bloody month :mad: . Just think what could be done with a whole month and a skip load of loft insulation :p .

Setomidor
12-08-2005, 21:44
Hehe, iīve got a ******** of Darkelves to do until the 28:th, but Iīm gonna suprise my GF with a new Human bloodbowl team (painted Pink / white :) ), and sheīs here in like 20 hours so itīll be a long night for me aswell :P

//Seto

Anvils Hammer
13-08-2005, 09:40
ok, moving back onto topic...

the mould i ordered yesturday afternoon arrived this morning, how good is that, and the mould is exactly what i need, now i have to aquire some plaster of paris...

this photo shows the facade of this new building im making, it fits into place rather nicly!
im working on all 3 storys at once, with solid outer walls. im going to cut a system of bricks and archs into these bits of foam, and then add wooden pillars. checkback later this mornig for more pictures.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/facadetest.jpg

StugMeister
13-08-2005, 10:20
That board is coming on very nicely Anvil'sHammer!

Disposable Hero
13-08-2005, 10:32
Oh man, and I have to leave for Scotland in an hour or two and will not be online for two weeks!
I want to see how the mould-bricks come out!

plasmadaemon
13-08-2005, 10:36
I'd like to see this board finished when i come back in two weeks time :p :mad:

Anvils Hammer
13-08-2005, 11:00
I'd like to see this board finished when i come back in two weeks time :p :mad:

if all goes to plan, it will be.

but my plans never work out... ah well... it will be nearly finnished*

*half?

edit- more pics in 25 minutes- garanteed!

Disposable Hero
13-08-2005, 11:18
As the man said before, build monkey boy, build!

Anvils Hammer
13-08-2005, 11:24
*vows to kill the next person who uses the phrase "monkey boy"*

Disposable Hero
13-08-2005, 11:24
Easy Leonard, it was meant in a good way, trust me!

Anvils Hammer
13-08-2005, 11:47
ok 25 mins have elapse, turns out my garantee is worth virtually nothing, i will be finnished soon! ish!
then i will edit this post to add the photos.

Disposable Hero
13-08-2005, 11:51
Thanks man, much appreciated!

The boyz
13-08-2005, 12:12
Wow, the buildings are looking great so far Anvils Hammer.

mirakel_jocke
13-08-2005, 12:31
Wow!

Looks better and better every time I check in!

Keep the fantastic wotk up Anvil!

/Mirakel_Jocke

Vberg
13-08-2005, 12:34
Still looking good......Monkey Boy :D ;) .

Rabid Bunny 666
13-08-2005, 12:40
sweet, nice work so far, maybe have a dead guardsman floating upside down in the water :evilgrin:

looks cool so far, but sods law dictates somethings gonna go wrong with your timing

Anvils Hammer
13-08-2005, 12:47
dah dah!

best update so far in my opinion.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/facadecomplete.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/facdecomplete2.jpg

just so you apreciate it.. you are looking at 4.5 hours of solid carving and cutting.

Legion
13-08-2005, 13:11
Very Nice Anvil, Be VERY sure you cover the foam with sealant before you add resin water, ( I assume you intend to, shame not to after 4.5 hrs for one building)

Im sure you are aware of Hirst arts, if not Bruce has added a nice water tutorial on the web site http://www.hirstarts.com/tips17/tips17.html#water
you may also want to check out the rest of the site , very handy page , and lovely moulds for building stuff, I have 35 moulds and there ace http://www.hirstarts.com/

hope that helps , Rick

Vberg
13-08-2005, 13:11
Im going to break my keyboard by drooling on it if the stuff your churning out keeps getting better.I admit i was quite worried when you mentioned using wooden rod in one of your earlier posts, but i needent of been. That is just brilliant. Well done.

Setomidor
13-08-2005, 13:16
Very well done, keep working :) Canīt wait to see when its done!

Anvils Hammer
13-08-2005, 13:18
thanks for the support everyone, as it happens Rick, the first of two hirst arts moulds im getting arrived this morning, ill be testing it later today, thanks for the water tutorial link.

vberg, get a bucket or somthing :p

Legion
13-08-2005, 13:29
Anvil, read the casting tutorials , about the wet water technique, and glass no scrape method, the only other advice I can give is teeny drop of detergeant kills the surface tension to produce wet water, and cd cases are great for the not scrape method.

I use a casting plaster called Crystalcast Alpha K, IIrc its 18,000, psi rated

Anvils Hammer
13-08-2005, 15:50
my ad hoc molding area is set up!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/plaster1.jpg

Legion, i used wet water, though i think it had to much detergent in it, it seemed to work we ll though, whats the glass no scrape method? i cant find it on the site.

im using normal plaster of paris atr the moment but i will try this other stuff i also bought called "hard plaster"

Setomidor
13-08-2005, 15:58
Hrm those plaster bags look very swedish :|

Vberg
13-08-2005, 16:01
I hope its your house and not you mum and dads or what ever, i have a feeling this project will be rather messy!

Anvils Hammer
13-08-2005, 16:34
its their house, but they are on holiday so i will have cleaned up by next friday, ignorance is bliss.

Rabid Bunny 666
13-08-2005, 16:40
so thats your failing! its not going to get cleaned and your parents will think it was a house party/drug bust! :evilgrin: :D

that last piccy was awesome, stop typing, start hacking :D

Vberg
13-08-2005, 16:47
Yeah be carefull with that white powdery plaster you dont want you parents to get the wrong impression about what you have been up to.

Commander X
13-08-2005, 16:49
I almost don't dare to ask, but what is the use of the very large wooden hammer?

All the rest looks good great, I wish I had the patience to do such things...

Verergoca
13-08-2005, 16:49
*checks latest updates*

*drools some more*

Keep up the good work dude!

starlight
13-08-2005, 16:54
Very nice. Less talking, more working and pictures! :p

Anvils Hammer
13-08-2005, 17:08
fine.. no more talking unless im answering questions.

the next pics, quite late this evening, will be even better.

and just to whet your appetites.. some time next week.. the 4 story high cathedral of the red redemptionist cult

starlight
13-08-2005, 17:34
Ghahahahahahah.........

<faints on keyboard>

gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg ggggggggggggggg......

Anvils Hammer
13-08-2005, 17:36
are you ok there star light?

yerpo
13-08-2005, 17:39
I'm sure he'll come to. Then faint again as he looks up on his screen and sees the whole thing again :D

If you don't mind me asking (dunno if you mentioned it before), but how are you going to protect all the areas from damage? Sealant?

Anvils Hammer
13-08-2005, 17:45
If you don't mind me asking (dunno if you mentioned it before), but how are you going to protect all the areas from damage?

sealant!

a couple of coats of watered down pva, or i might just paint it with a brush.

EDIT-
an update on my progress with the mould, ive done 3 so far, each takesroughly 35 minutes, the 1st and 3rd went perfectly, the 2nd made nice rubble. i have two perfect brick wall sections so far, its saving me an unbelievable ammount of time, as well as makingbetter bricks than i can with foam.

starlight
13-08-2005, 17:54
All this makes me look forward to my new place, where I'll have a whole room dedicated to hobbies and gaming.

<crosses fingers and prays>

Soon!

Gaebriel
13-08-2005, 18:28
I'm glad you found some "help" with this. I'm excited about the first building made by these moulded parts.

Oh, and could you make an all-board picture this evening, as you did on Thursday? I'm interested in how it looks in perspective to the board.

You know we will all want to visit you, and test this board? ;)

Anvils Hammer
13-08-2005, 18:30
I'm glad you found some "help" with this. I'm excited about the first building made by these moulded parts.

Oh, and could you make an all-board picture this evening, as you did on Thursday? I'm interested in how it looks in perspective to the board.

You know we will all want to visit you, and test this board? ;)

yes i will make an all board picture

and you are al welcome to visit any time, heck, ill visit you, ive got lots of spare time in my gap year.

Makaber
13-08-2005, 19:15
This is crazy. I'm impressed beyond words. I wish I could get to play on it, so I could realize my dream of VDR river patrol boats for my guard, 'nam-style.

Pertinax
13-08-2005, 19:27
I'm impressed. Care to write us an article about how to cast up walls and such?

mirakel_jocke
13-08-2005, 19:32
Yeah that would be a good idea!

/Mirakel_Jocke

Uriel
13-08-2005, 19:37
awesome work.

Anvils Hammer
13-08-2005, 19:49
well i will happily write an article about general building construction, mdf, foam board, wood etc and tools to use, but i cant really do anything about molding buildings cos im not actually doing anything except filling the mold I bought. i doubt ill be making any more casts for this city fight board, though in the future im sure ill use the technique.

Pertinax
13-08-2005, 19:57
Well, terragenesis is good too!

StugMeister
13-08-2005, 22:32
So, any more updates tonight Anvil's Hammer? Its looking great.

Vberg
14-08-2005, 00:20
He has to sleep sometime!

Mike Johnson
14-08-2005, 00:59
How do you work so quickly? It took me 13-14 months to finish one crappy ruined building.

Anvils Hammer
14-08-2005, 01:09
He has to sleep sometime!

sleep!!!

i never sleep! heres an update for you, heretical sleep worshipper!

im so tired... and ive cut loads of corners like not doing the widows yet, but i really wanted to get pics of this up tonight because my sister is taking my didigital camera (tecnically hers unfortunatly) on holiday and i wont be able to buy a new camera untill monday morning.

mike, i dont work that quickly, i simple do long hours, with a 3 hour break in the middle (to go and buy materials) i have worked non stop today from 9 till 1 in the morning, thats 13 hours.....

da dah!

3 storys high!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/3storys.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/day5.jpg

Anvils Hammer
14-08-2005, 01:11
i am going to sleep.. sleep... see you all tomorow at about 9.30

starlight
14-08-2005, 01:20
Dear Lord that's impressive! My hat's off to you. :)

Uriel
14-08-2005, 03:18
drooooool,

Legion
14-08-2005, 03:24
my ad hoc molding area is set up!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/plaster1.jpg

Legion, i used wet water, though i think it had to much detergent in it, it seemed to work we ll though, whats the glass no scrape method? i cant find it on the site.

im using normal plaster of paris atr the moment but i will try this other stuff i also bought called "hard plaster"

Pm sent with my email addy. looking good so far !

Mike Johnson
14-08-2005, 06:23
ahh fair enough. I generally work for 1 hour and have 5 hour breaks -_-''

Lurker
14-08-2005, 06:48
Dude, when I 1st saw you’re out line for this city, I was a bit skeptical… but I have to say this is best piece of scenery I’ve seen, its going to be simple amazing when its finsihed. Keep up the good work.

Spacejens
14-08-2005, 08:13
The latest overview picture gives a good idea of how the board will look when completed. If you keep this up, you will end up with a board that people might travel to play on. Incredible so far. :eek:

Anvils Hammer
14-08-2005, 08:54
wow, thanks for the support guys, its appreciated.

i dont have access to a camera so today i will work on the buildings ive already started, putting in floors, interior details, finnishing the facades etc, as well as builidng the 2nd and 3rd storys on the first builidng i did.

photos of all this should come some timetomrow, or i might dig out the crap didgital camera and see if i can convince it to take one nice photo.

Gaebriel
14-08-2005, 09:08
..., you will end up with a board that people might travel to play on. Incredible so far.I'm pretty sure this is a board that can easily find it's way into any White Dwarf and to any convention.

:) :) :)

Anvils Hammer
14-08-2005, 11:19
heres a rough 3D diagram,

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/plan.jpg

Heero-Severus
14-08-2005, 11:24
This is absolutly phenominal work. cant wait to see the finished product :) well done :D

mirakel_jocke
14-08-2005, 12:14
Must... see.... progress....

Looking very good with the new section on the building. Try to dig up that crap camera and take some photos later today. Hey it is atlest a camera, right? :D

/Mirakel_Jocke

Rabid Bunny 666
14-08-2005, 12:36
heres a rough 3D diagram,

looks like pop art :D

progress is sweet, my dad was saying last night that you could cast the walls up, but i can't remember what he said

keep up the good work

Wolf Scout Ewan
14-08-2005, 14:05
Wow!!

I'll be interested to hear how this pans out.

Lord-Warlock
14-08-2005, 14:15
You, sir, are my hero.

This is jaw-dropping...

Hideous Loon
14-08-2005, 14:23
Awesome. Well and truly awesome. When do you expect to be done with this wee project, anvils hammer?

Anvils Hammer
14-08-2005, 14:53
i really dont know, id like to think ill be done by the end of next week, i really hope so, becaseu then im going away and wont be able to work on it for a whole month.

if i work really hard, i should be able to finnish the modleing and get it undercoated before i go away, but im really not sure, i dont want to rush it, but at the same time i want to get it finnished. we will see.

ArtificerArmour
14-08-2005, 16:01
i bet that'll make a phenomenal game of necromunda.

but perhaps it'll be too busy for a cityfight game.

Anvils Hammer
14-08-2005, 16:50
you think? mabyi should have more of it in ruins/open space, it would certainly make it easier to finnish on schdual, i will give some thought ot layout, arcs of fire, movement lanes etc.
i want it to make for a very tense game of 40k without being to dense to fight in.

athamas
14-08-2005, 17:00
he is right you know, no tank could ever opperate in those areas... but there are no bomb craters on yopur map...

are you attaching everything... if not areas like the red and brown buildings could be made twice [more work i know] but once as the building [possibly finished later] and oncce as a bomb crater...

possibly also the blue building...

the idea being that the two armies would most likely face each other over the open craters are there would be more room to monouver, and would enable quick advances....

it would also be very difficult to play large games on this board.. [above 1000pts will bacome interesting...] though i can see landspeeder squadrens and the like being highly effective in that terain!

Anvils Hammer
14-08-2005, 18:55
athamas, making some semi modular areas may be a good idea, i will think about it, ive thought of a good way of doing it atleast.

tanks arnt supposed to operate in this city, its venice based, there isnt a single car in venice.

uriel style update :D -

no camera=no pics untill tomorow morning, but, ive added an arch facade and an inner wall to the first builidng I was working on. and ive added the windows to the other, taller building, Im about to add the roof and inner floors to the tall building.

wait till tomorow!, blame my sister!

Anvils Hammer
14-08-2005, 19:07
look at that!!!
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/resources/korn/Bordeaux-cathedral-aerial.jpg
im definatly basing my chathdral on this builidng!

athamas
14-08-2005, 19:32
i would love to see you make that.....

its just a case of how....

ArtificerArmour
14-08-2005, 19:35
i think you need a central plaza. where everything leads upto.

everybody loves a bloodbath under the gaze of a famous monument.

Anvils Hammer
14-08-2005, 19:44
there will be a central plaza, a very small one, in front of the cathedral.

im going to biuld that.. or somthing like it anyway.. with a couple of silicone molds, some very accurate MDF cutting and lots of foam, balsa wood etc.
its gonna be hard work, but anythings possible with enough cuts and precise measurments.

athamas
14-08-2005, 19:57
ooo.. if you are going mad with thin MDF, it might be worth marking each out of 3, 1 centeral one, and 2 thinner ones on each side...

ill find a link of something i mean for you...

found it...

http://www.warfactory.co.uk/scenery/gothicruin.php

something like the glass windows there

TracerBullet
14-08-2005, 20:07
I'm stunned!!!
Just as soon as I snap out of it, I'm going to have to grab me a sketchbook and a pencil...

Anvils Hammer
14-08-2005, 20:19
to sketch what tracer?

athamas, thank you very much for that link, it will be VERY usefull in making my cathedral.

*bookmarks link*

malika
14-08-2005, 20:48
I PM'ed you my email adress :) Im very curious about those pictures!

Messiah
14-08-2005, 21:01
Im speechless.

Anvils Hammer
14-08-2005, 21:17
I PM'ed you my email adress :) Im very curious about those pictures!

did you not receive them.. i definatly sent them to you as soon as i got your pm a day ago..

ill send it again, sorry about that.

EDIT- my fauilt entirely, for some reason i "sent" the email, but didnt click "send and recive", and outlook express is vindictive.
ive sent it now, sorry!

malika
14-08-2005, 21:30
Wow...totally awesome, if you are able to mass produce that for cheap you could easily compete with GW and FW :evilgrin:

Anvils Hammer
14-08-2005, 22:21
humm.. for some reason, ive bbe nabit lazy all day, but ive suddenly got a new rush of energy, i wish it had come at 4 oclock this afternoon, ah well, another late night!

nurgle_boy
14-08-2005, 22:23
id say that you wouldnt just compete with forge world, and GW, but utterly blow them away (ok, maybe not all of the stuff, but some of it as a lower quality than what you come up with!)

still, looking forward to more pics.

now go away and make some more buildings :p

Anvils Hammer
14-08-2005, 22:29
thank you nurgle_boy, in accordance with your wishes, i will now continue building.

Puffin Magician
14-08-2005, 22:40
I have to say that your inspiring work has led me to re-start my thoughts about a gaming table that can be altered to make nearly a dozen different terrain types. First big idea was fortress walls but that's not too special, but then... there was the idea for a multi-platformed starport capable of holding 3 Thunderhawks and 5 Valkyries simultaneously. I'm very very eager to start work, but first there's waiting for the cash to buy materials [as currently I have none, hence no projects]. It should be nearly 4' tall when finished and over a foot wide at the base, but that's not carved in stone and I'm still working on the idea.

To further fuel your progress, here's a link I've had on my harddrive for a while but only recently opened it again. Check it out (http://www.tabletopwelten.de/content/gallery/heiko/tetgal.htm). I popped it open earlier today and immediately thought of your equally stunning terrain.

Go go go! Build build build!

Anvils Hammer
14-08-2005, 22:47
wow.. i hope mine looks that good when its finnished. humm...

that star port sounds fantastic, have the platforms rotate around a central spire, so they can morve to point in different directions or to make space for taller craft.

Hideous Loon
14-08-2005, 23:46
anvils hammer: What are you doing here? Get busy with your styrofoam and craft knife!

Puffin: Where would a, I imagine, quite regular person like you dig up enough teef for three Thunderhawks and five Valkyires?

Edit: Grammar is your friend.

Makaber
15-08-2005, 04:13
Puffmag never buys. Puffmag makes. Oh yes. Once, he made a cat out of cardboard paper, but it caught fire and died.

Anvils Hammer
15-08-2005, 10:58
AAAAHHHHRRGGGG!!!

disaster strikes again, the camera shop man is on holiday this week!
option one- borrow my neighbours one
option two- drive 10 miles to the nearest electrical goods retailer and buy a camera

pictures WILL be up soon!

and on a better note, ive just aquired two new tools, a very nice scaple and a "360 degree swivel point" scaple for precision curve cutting (the stained glass windows, amonghst other things).

Gaebriel
15-08-2005, 11:13
Hmm, I didn't realize so many three stories in plan... If you think you could get into time troubles, why not build the first level everywhere, then the second, then the third. That way you can pause at a convenient step, where the board is kinda playable/looks finished, and later come back and do the next overall section. Just a thought...

On topic free battle space. If you're inclined to change plans, why not make higher buildings around the borders of the board, and a free space in the middle? That way every opponent has a suitable deployment zone, as well as relatively free fire arcs. Though I think the planned layout will be fine for 40k games.

How are the moulded parts turning out?

And how do you plan to paint it? Standard greyish, or more whitish?

The boyz
15-08-2005, 11:14
AAAAHHHHRRGGGG!!!

disaster strikes again, the camera shop man is on holiday this week!
option one- borrow my neighbours one
option two- drive 10 miles to the nearest electrical goods retailer and buy a camera

Thats a bit of a bugger. :(

I cant wait to see more pictures of your progress. This is going to be one hell of a board when it is done. :)

Anvils Hammer
15-08-2005, 12:26
woohoo

my new camera! (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/Sony/sony_dscw534right.jpg)

pictures in a few seconds...

haha! my new camera is awesome...!

finally...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/bottomstorycomplete1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/tallbuilding1.jpg

Puffin Magician
15-08-2005, 12:30
Puffin: Where would a, I imagine, quite regular person like you dig up enough teef for three Thunderhawks and five Valkyires?
I think your first error is assuming that I'm a regular person. You can make 40k vehicles for comparitively nothing if you have the right materials and enough free time. Makaber is right [that poor kitty :(], I make nearly all my models. $10 worth of Foamcore and cardboard and you've got yourself a Thunderhawk Gunship*. Valkyries are a bit tricker but still pretty easy.

And Anvil, about the camera problem, I think we can all wait. I know I'd rather be building than taking pictures of what I've already done. You can concentrate on working [or taking a well-deserved rest] today and take pictures when the next convenient time comes around. No need to run out and buy a camera just to appease us impatient Warseers; that money can be spent on more terrain materials.

*some assembly required

Anvils Hammer
15-08-2005, 12:35
i was getting a camera for my 18th birthday any way... i was just waiting for the right moment and motivation to buy one.

now im going to concentrate on building...

mirakel_jocke
15-08-2005, 12:48
It looks nice as hell!

If you can read this, get back to working! No, do not post more here until you have done another building. Or else... *pics up automatic sniper rifle* Haha, I see you!

*laughes maniacally* *someone comes in and "convince" me to put on a white very uncomfortable jacket*

/Mirakel_Jocke

Anvils Hammer
15-08-2005, 12:54
It looks nice as hell!

If you can read this, get back to working! No, do not post more here until you have done another building. Or else... *pics up automatic sniper rifle* Haha, I see you!

*laughes maniacally* *someone comes in and "convince" me to put on a white very uncomfortable jacket*

/Mirakel_Jocke

or else what.... :p

*sees red dot appear from nowhere between his eyes*

ah i see...

*gets back to working*

mirakel_jocke
15-08-2005, 13:33
Good Hammer...*Chew annoying jacket to pieces and stops aiming with my feet* *Throws forth cookie*

:p

/Mirakel_Jocke

Gaebriel
15-08-2005, 14:32
finally...:eek:

If this does not beat everything I've seen before, I don't know what. Wow! :)

Luke
15-08-2005, 14:48
anvils hammer, that building is somethimng else! good stuff, i cant wait to see it painted. actually, i cant wait to see the board finished! can i come over and play one day? ;)

x-esiv-4c
15-08-2005, 14:59
That really is some excellent work! Is this for a gamesday or something?

Anvils Hammer
15-08-2005, 17:10
That really is some excellent work! Is this for a gamesday or something?

no, im just making it for my own personal satifaction,
i will probably sell it, but i really want to keep it, so i will set the asking price at 50% over what its worth to discorage potential buyers :D

of course ill take it to events if peopel ask me to.

luke, you can come as play on it when ever you like (within reason)

more pics as soon as the glue on this latest add on has dried...

Nazerth
15-08-2005, 17:55
Holy crap on a ten foot pole!

You are a madman!

If I were wearing a hat, it would go off to you, sir. This is incredible work.

Anvils Hammer
15-08-2005, 18:16
more progress.. not much.. but some...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/smallbuildingone.jpg

EmperorsChamp01
15-08-2005, 18:20
I think that maybe you should make some Gondola riders to troll around in the moat and cannals.

Zark the Damned
15-08-2005, 19:26
I'm very impressed with your work Anvil. So impressed, I finally got round to signing up to Warseer!

Can't wait to see it finished.

Lady Hope
15-08-2005, 20:39
Anvil, I've been following your work closely since my boyfriend showed me the thread, and I am mightily impressed...
I'm not even worthy of cleaning up under the desk you made that on!
My boyfriend suggested making some balcony-type-things, f.ex on the last picture you posted, the smallest building could have an open space with a banister round on part of the top. Nice place to snipe from :) Just an idea...
Keep up the good work, we love it!

nurgle_boy
15-08-2005, 20:43
looking supreme there anvils hammer.

the multistory buildings look perfect!

EDIT: lady hope, a completely off topic question. as a woman, do you think squigs are awsome? im just gathering some data...

Lady Hope
15-08-2005, 21:01
lady hope, a completely off topic question. as a woman, do you think squigs are awsome? im just gathering some data...

Sorry for answering this on your topic Anvil, but I feel obliged to... Yes, I find Squigs are awesome, they're probably my favorite "crazy" race in Warhammer.
And may I ask, what's the data for?

nurgle_boy
15-08-2005, 21:04
ah, just seeing if chocks really do dig squigs :p

it says so on the GW us website, and i wanted to make suere it was true.
what a silly person i am :D

sorry for wandering off topic, and if you like, anvils hammer, i would delete my posts

Anvils Hammer
15-08-2005, 21:11
off topic is fine to a degree, just make sure every post contains atleast one positive comment about my work, for motivational purposes you see.

lady hope, you are welcome to clean up under the des kany time you like, its not a task im looking forward to doing before my parents get back on saturday.
and thanks bty.

im currently working on a ruined builidng using the hirst arts plaster molds, they are an absolute dream from making ruins with.

Iron-Father S.N
15-08-2005, 21:56
Wow! This is some seriously awesome work man:)
Might be a bit hard for armies who depend on their transports though.. But just the thought of fielding an all infantry IG army with maxed out numbers on that table can make any man start to drool:D

Anvils Hammer
15-08-2005, 22:47
a very wip shot of one of the ruins im making, made from the hirst arts mold

this one is going to have bit of a second floor still intact and some more wal on top, then its going to be covered in absolutly masses of rubble. plaster, bricks, wood, plasticard, sand, LOTS of rubble, some of which will be falling into the canals around the sides.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/rubble.jpg

Zark the Damned
15-08-2005, 22:56
That looks somewhat brittle... is that the stuff made from the moulds?

Anvils Hammer
15-08-2005, 23:21
yes, and yes it is very brittle indeed. its easy to carve into good looking rubble though, but will need several coats of varnish/pva before its strong enough.

Uriel
16-08-2005, 03:54
anvil your pro at this, I can't believe how ******* awesome this is.

TracerBullet
16-08-2005, 07:22
to sketch what tracer?Well, it seems your project has gone and inspired me into getting on with my own urban terrain project.

I've dug out a veritable pile of loose sheets with notes, ideas and sketches, and am in the process of going through them. The ideas I like are going into the sketchbook - refined and with notes.

Basically, Im putting Pen to Paper so that I know what I'm trying to build before putting Blade to Styroforam.

I'll build my ruined city yet! <insert manic laughter>

Ehrm... Anyways... Keep up the sterling work! ;)

Spacejens
16-08-2005, 09:55
yes, and yes it is very brittle indeed. its easy to carve into good looking rubble though, but will need several coats of varnish/pva before its strong enough.

For the HirstArts moulds, I suggest getting dental plaster. It is not that expensive really, and it is much stronger.

To find a place that sells this stuff, I went to a dentist and asked where they got their plaster castings (used for showing the patient how his mouth looks, and how to floss) made. Then, I went to that dental technician lab and asked what kind of plaster they used. I got a sample (about half a litre) and contact information for the retailer. When I had tried casting using the sample I got instead of ordinary plaster of paris, I bought myself a nice 22 kilogram box of dental plaster from the retailer :)

Friendly people, those dental technicians. And a bit amused when I explained what I wanted to use the plaster for.

CaputMortuum
16-08-2005, 09:56
Anvils, you already know it, but I have to say it too: You are the KING of cityfight terrain!!!
And having been to Venexia, I might add that you have really cathed the feel of the city. Remember that there are also pretty badly constructed buldings there. Even the most luxorious buildings, seen from the smaller canals running behind them, look like some backalley in between two collapsing buildings.

Anvils Hammer
16-08-2005, 10:22
thanks, caput mortumm, ive been trying to think of a name for my city that is based on "venice" but not,
i had "vendice" already, i think ill tack on the "ia" from your typo, the city of "vendia"
humm sounds to much like cadia.
maby just "venexia"

ok people the official "name anvils city" competition, is now open, the best suggestion gets used.

spacejens, ill go to the dentist now on my way to tesco, thanks for the idea.

.... currently working on a fortified administration builidng.

devolutionary
16-08-2005, 10:41
ok people the official "name anvils city" competition, is now open, the best suggestion gets used.

Vexin
Niceve
Cenive
Avenais

urrrrrr *thinks some more, head explodes, shakes fist and mutters*

Anvils Hammer
16-08-2005, 10:45
note- i reserve the right to combine multiply names from different people.

the ultimate blag- sucess- i just walked into my local dentists, a short conversation and a phone call to the technician later and im picking up 3 kilos of dental plaster later this afternoon, for a tenner!

Neknoh
16-08-2005, 11:07
Hrm those plaster bags look very swedish :|

I have to agree with you, those bags look VERY swedish... where did you get them?

As for the board. . . I am speechless, it is so... so... FANTASTIC!!!!

I stopped reading after the 9th page and just began drooling over all the pictures

Anvils Hammer
16-08-2005, 11:15
i got them from a localish art and craft shop in the UK, i presume they were imported excess stock or somthing.

and thanks, but do read as well, i ocasionally write stuff that is almost as interesting as the pictures (yeah right)

Gaebriel
16-08-2005, 11:45
What about asking how several languages name Venice around the world? Perhaps there's something suitable amongst it?

Venecia (spanish)
Venedig (german)
Veneza (portuguese)
Venezia (italian)
Venise (french)

These HirstArts moulds look good. I'll consider them whenever making some Cityfight terrain - though I'd rather have you flown in (what do you charge?)

Anvils Hammer
16-08-2005, 11:58
(what do you charge?)

just food and lodging plus air ticket, you provide the materials, ill build for free.
a holiday in hanova would be great! :D

as for city names,
not sure about vendig but the others sound promising. i like the idea. perhaps a really unusual language, how do the chinese say it i wonder

StugMeister
16-08-2005, 11:59
Looking very good still Anvils Hammer - hows about some updated photos!

We crave the photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TracerBullet
16-08-2005, 12:04
ok people the official "name anvils city" competition, is now open, the best suggestion gets used.It's been a known fact for a while now that Venice is sinking. So how about using Latin* for 'sinking city'; 'Urbis Demergo'?

*Or rather: My closest approximation. I'm no linguist.

ml2sjw
16-08-2005, 12:43
Atlantis ? or an imperialised version of the name?

Runs away before the throwing starts...........

Anvils Hammer
16-08-2005, 13:04
so far my favorite name is "urbis Venexia"

just to keep stugmeister happy, here is a very WIP shot of the armoured administration builidng, the square door will be filled with plasticard doors.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/adminwip.jpg

EmperorsChamp01
16-08-2005, 13:38
AHBACFB should be the name of the board. and It stands for
Anvil Hammers Bad Ass City Fight board. That would be a kool name right?? Well it was worth a try.
Really what do you think about "ImperaisVactionis" lol. Any tips for a first time board maker like myself??

CaputMortuum
16-08-2005, 14:03
Urbis Venexia sounds good.
Or maybe Venexia Demergo district.

Actually Venexia wasn't a typo, I never make mistakes. (Yeah, right! :p )
I was in Venice couple years back on an intensive program workshop, kind of an art students gathering endorsed and funded by EU. I learned there that the local young artists' underground wrote it Venexia, instead of Venezia. I guess it was just a cool thing to do.

Caput

Hideous Loon
16-08-2005, 14:34
I support EmperorsChamp01 on this one. AHBACFB sounds good.

Anvils Hammer
16-08-2005, 14:44
ah fair enough on the typo, i will not be calling the board AHBACFB, unfortunatly, as it is too long to say, and sounds stupid as..... yeah this is "my bad ass city fight board"

making progress on the bottom level of the administration, but its now an adaptus Arbites courthouse.

Neknoh
16-08-2005, 15:00
Venexia Fatalis/Mortuum?

St.Germaine
16-08-2005, 15:04
This is one of the most amazing projects I've seen a single individual take on and stay with. Lots of of us have grandiose ideas for terrain and conversions but only a small portion of them ever see completion. I'm a huge fan of the long out-of-print (I think) Merovingen Nights by C.J.Cherryh which takes place in a city much like Venice only lots taller and more gothic. In moments of madness I have toyed with doing a table based on this theme and seeing the spectacular progress that you're making has started the creative juices flowing. But then lucidity returns and I know that I'd never actually complete this beastie. Keep on, dude! I'm rooting for you in a major way. I just wish that I lived somewhere remotely close enough to ever play on this table.

Barbarossa
16-08-2005, 16:02
Venexia Demergo sounds good.

A local shop owner has started a city board with about 30 houses/ruins on it. While he and another hardcore terrain builder are doing most of the work, he is enlisting other people to add their own building to the board. I gotta do a generatorium/power plant thingy next week.

Anvils Hammer
16-08-2005, 17:48
ok here is the admin builindg bottom floor, the exterious is complete but it still needs internal details like wall support columes, doors, hatches, prison cells etc.

Im really pleased with how the molded bricks worked for this section.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/admincomplete.jpg

Zark the Damned
16-08-2005, 17:52
I just had an idea which may help with the brittleness problem: stick plasticard to the back of the wall. It wont stop surface details from chipping, but it'll stop the thing collapsing if knocked around a bit.

I'm likking the new buildings, keep up the good work!

Puffin Magician
16-08-2005, 19:21
That's looking pretty good, and Zark's suggestion [good to see you back, btw] is a good one. You wouldn't want a heavy mini falling against your building and splitting a big line or a crack in your beautiful structures. Anything will do so long as it's solid; plasticard, cardboard, balsa wood, etc.

Something I noticed straight away was the front corner in the latest photo; the white styrofoam isn't cut to match the ~120° angle of the corner. It's minor, but focussing on small details is what projects like this are all about. Please fix that!

Progress is stellar as usual... this table's looking almost too good to play on!

Makaber
16-08-2005, 19:28
Maybe a layer of PVA over the bricks can act as a "super-varnish" of sorts and prevent chipping?

Otherwise, might I make the humble suggestion of a Adeptus Arbites HQ building somewhere? A heavily armoured, imposing-looking tower with some com arrays on top, and a big whooping Imperial Eagle somewhere on it. Every precinct needs one!

Anvils Hammer
16-08-2005, 19:34
dontworry puffin, id seen it, it will be fixed. dont worry, i let many details slip, but not ones as ugly as that.

i like the idea of the arbites tower, i also like puffins idea of the anti air tower.....

arbites HQ with hydra battery on top... humm... complete with big wooping imperial eagle of course.

makaber, i will certainly be "super varnishing" any and all plaster. any chiips will simple be repainted as "battle damage", the more realsitic, the better!

Wolf Scout Ewan
16-08-2005, 19:38
Wow man thats some amazing work!!!

Anvils Hammer
16-08-2005, 19:54
right.. i vow i will not go on this thread at all untill i have finnished the next stage NOT INCLUDING the roof.

Anvils Hammer
16-08-2005, 19:54
the vow starts now.. right after i get post 200

Patchkit
16-08-2005, 20:00
I love this project. That said.
Plaster suggestion since i noticed you were worried about it chipping. Mix the paster with less water, it will take more work to get it into the cracks but it will also make it stronger.
Also, plaster is not the best material to use here unless weight is really a factor. Try getting hydrocal, it mixes and pours the same but has a much higher density and strength.

Nice job and can't wait to see the rest.

BaronDG
16-08-2005, 21:10
I've heard once that you could mix white glue into the plaster mix for added solidity. Maybe someone has tried it?

PSD
16-08-2005, 21:12
Iv tried it, it works pretty well, solves some of the crumbling issues, only problem i found with it is that it sticks to the moulds.

As for the project, iv been ducking in and out to take a look as its been shaping up, and i have to say im very impressed. Keep up the good work. :)

Messiah
16-08-2005, 21:51
I envy you leet skillz..

Anyway.. I does look extremely good. Keep up the good work.

Wolf Scout Ewan
16-08-2005, 22:23
By the by... in the rumour section there is a link to the french release list... with dum de dum... "like water"... u know the fully clear resin.

But from what I figure u'd be spending 80 maybe 100 quid using that stuff gah.

Anvils Hammer
16-08-2005, 22:32
theres another produ..... NOT REPLYING, SECTION UNFINISHED!! *smacks hand*

Nid
16-08-2005, 22:36
I hate and envy your skillz. I'm going to kill you and make you into an Ed Gein-esque suit to wear and absorb your natural talents.

Verergoca
16-08-2005, 22:37
tsk tsk tsk... How about your vow? :)

Can you make a total overview shot of how the city looks now... All weve been seeing were loose buildings... I a Curious (note the capital) on how the looks of the city are now. :)

Also, here is the obligatory "keep on the good work"

Keep on the good work!

blue midgets of doom
16-08-2005, 23:25
not much to say that hasn't already been said, good work. your insspiring me to take on my own board biulding prodject.

Anvils Hammer
17-08-2005, 00:28
gah..
once again iver made far less progress that anticipatied, youd have thought id have learned by now but apparnetly not.
the top story is sellotaped together, but you get the idea with the widdows and cardboard archs etc

nid05, that is possible the most disturbing positive comment in this thread.. or ever, even.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/day7.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/newfacade.jpg

LordPomposity
17-08-2005, 00:39
I've been lurking in this thread, and the project's looking great!

How about a clock tower rising up over the rest of the city?

Anvils Hammer
17-08-2005, 00:43
i will incorporate a clock somwhere, probably on the cathedral, nice idea!

Gaebriel
17-08-2005, 09:18
i will incorporate a clock somwhere, probably on the cathedral, nice idea!You could make it usable as a turn marker... Like turn 1 of 12 till turn 12 of 12 (player turns)...

Anvils Hammer
17-08-2005, 10:03
thats a very good idea gaebriel.

here is half of an updated plan, gives a fairly good idea of what this bit of board will look like when finnished.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/plan2.jpg

athamas
17-08-2005, 10:05
one thing.... if you are going to have models on all the different layers...

would it be worth covering the top of each with something ferrous, so you can have a magnet on the bottom of all you bases and then the models wont slip eveything you lift the top of a building!

ml2sjw
17-08-2005, 10:11
any chance of some pictures of the board with models on it? As its hard to judge the size without a comparision

Anvils Hammer
17-08-2005, 10:13
if you are doing somthing that might result in modles falling over when you remove sections, you are NOT treating the board with the care it requires.

also, while a nice idea, its incredible impracticle to add ferrous sheets, i dont have the sheet, or the tools to cut it. and also, i dont have loads of magnets lying around.

also, there wont be that much stuff that actally requires moving modles, only moving squads in and out, once they are in a "section" of builidngg, they count as being able to fire out of any window, measuring ranges from the edge of the building, its just easier than "no you lascannon isnt by the window enoguh, lets take the roof off so we can check LOS" etc etc

EDITED TO ADD-

here you go, a shot with modles on the board and inside the buildings, though its not really light enough.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/scale.jpg

EDITED AGAIN TO ADD-

woohoo, my silicone mold rubber kit has arrived!

mirakel_jocke
17-08-2005, 13:58
Good progress I see.

I'll maybe even remove the my lasersight from your forehead... If you behave...

Very nice to see a another picture of the board with minis on it. Gives you a clue about how it will be to play on it... sort of...

/Mirakel_Jocke

ml2sjw
17-08-2005, 15:20
ok now that really good now i can tell what size it is !

Simon

Puffin Magician
17-08-2005, 15:26
Great progress, and they're turning up larger than I expected. Good thing Chimeras are amphibious!

I agree that the clock is a cool idea, maybe have a clocktower in an open courtyard as you don't usually see cathedrals with clocks on them [it doesn't seem right].

I really like the plans for the Cathedral; having narrow canals flowing under it would look pretty cool and... Venicey.

Also dig the Aribites Precinct w/ Flak Tower; steal some ideas from the beauty of a terrain piece in the Cityfight Codex batrep; gates, pillboxes at the entrance, and definitely a big eagle.

scrubout
17-08-2005, 16:44
Anvils Hammer, you never cease to amaze with your projects. I only hope I can have the same amount of passion when I create my own city fight board.

-peace out
scrubout

athamas
17-08-2005, 17:03
ahhh i see now, thats cool then!

what are you doing about water?

Anvils Hammer
17-08-2005, 17:11
water was talked aboutearlier, but to save you the trouble oflooking-

1. fill canals with approx 1 cm of plaster
2. paint plaster a mix of greens and blues, blended to be darking in the midlle and quite dark in general
3. cover in approx 1cm of reisin water effect

this should creat a really nice realistic water that looks far deepr than is it, combining the benefits of painted water and reisin water.

Iron-Father S.N
17-08-2005, 18:14
Is it necesary to have that thick a layer of plaster?
A layer that thick might get cracks when drying.

Anvils Hammer
17-08-2005, 18:26
no its not nessecary, but i would have to find somthing else to fill the gap, sand might work, i could poor plaster on top of that if i sealed the sides

Puffin Magician
17-08-2005, 19:55
2cm 'deep' water seems to thick. Would 2cm not reach too close to the 'street level'? IMO the waterline should be halfway up the sides at most.

I'd just use the resin water effect stuff over a base of masonite, painted the way you described to make it appear deeper.

blue midgets of doom
17-08-2005, 21:35
if you covered the whole board in plaster it would become incredibly heavy, u siad earlier that u wanted to take it places. also i hate to add some critisizm to this great project but my major question is the playability this baord has. as said earlier you could not use tanks. and actually getting the modles into a biulding appears difficult.

Anvils Hammer
17-08-2005, 21:43
if you covered the whole board in plaster it would become incredibly heavy, u siad earlier that u wanted to take it places. also i hate to add some critisizm to this great project but my major question is the playability this baord has. as said earlier you could not use tanks. and actually getting the modles into a biulding appears difficult.

you *can* use tanks, but they wont do very well unless they have specific advantages, for example a demolisher would kick ass on this map.

as for putting infantry in buildings, you just lift the rooves off. its not that difficult and its more that worth the extra effort.

obviosly, when a board is this packed with terrain, there will always be playability issues, but the trade off is worth it IMNSHO

and yes, it wil lbe quite heavy, as in, minimum two man lift per 2x4

Verergoca
17-08-2005, 22:23
thats painfull:)

I wonder what your parents will say when they get home... :D

Love the work! Continue that way, and youll end up with a special feature in the WD, known as "The Battle of Venexia" with mordians versus eldar....

*thinks*

Anvils Hammer
17-08-2005, 22:33
I wonder what your parents will say when they get home... :D

well basically, when they ledf to go on holiday, dad said if i havent COMPLETLY cleared up whe nthey get home, they will kick me out.

here is the unfortunatly, tragic schedual for the weeks ahead-

tomorow- get A level results, spend the rest of the day drinking
-no work on board
friday- desparatly tidy up whilst trying to paint my army up in time for carnage
-no work on board
saturday/sunday- carnage
monday- work on board
twesday- work on board
wednesday- pack for reading festival!!
(is anyone else going to readin festival here?)

get back from reading- 2 days recovery and packing
- month long holiday in europe!

so... i have two more days of work on the city, then thats it untill the 29th of september!!!

edited to add-

heres all my progress for today, yeah, one story of one building.
Ive been depressed, heartbroken and lethargic today.

my motivation will return!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/secondstory.jpg

Thoume
17-08-2005, 23:06
...wednesday- pack for reading festival...!!
Tell me if I'm wrong, but are 'Maiden playing there? I'd certainly be missing out if they are... :( :)

But anyway, back on topic. Looking very awsome so far! I'll have to wait before the extension to my house is built before I can even consider a modular table. The best I've got atm is a yellow table cloth... although there is my brother's styrofoam grass-matted board, but I can't be bothered to walk up to the shed to get it... :p

LordPomposity
18-08-2005, 00:49
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Mike Johnson
18-08-2005, 05:08
Just dont feel the need to rush it, I would hate to see dodgy parts on it just for the sake of getting it done quicker and to put up more pictures for these eagre board members. :p

lemiwinks
18-08-2005, 08:36
wow that was the longest thing i've read in my entire life that wasnt a book. 24 pages. but anyways your doing amazing. i hope it finishes good for you. im building my city table right now too. but its a ruined city that chaos has take nover so its not as detailed. everything is blown up. and its funny you had mentioned using led lights to make street lamps, i was planning on doign the same. it would be a killer effect to play it with dimmed lights so you can see the city lit up. well ill be checking back. have fun on vacation.

Barbarossa
18-08-2005, 08:57
- month long holiday in europe!

Where exactly are you going?

CaputMortuum
18-08-2005, 09:12
You have to cancel your trip!!
Think of Us, what will we do while your having fun abroad. We, that had finally found something to wait for, some reason to wake up every morning, will have to revert back to the same meaningless nothingness that you draged us out from. Think of it, first you gave us hope and now you're going to abandon us!!! :cries:

Ok, sorry, I'll stop now. To tell you the truth though, part of me was being serious. :)

Have a nice trip, you "King of All Cityfighting Terrain That Has Been Ever Built"!
You've earned it.

Caput

tzeentchgiant
18-08-2005, 16:15
Simply superb, goo to see how amazingly the idea has come to fruitition.

Seriously amazing stuff, beyond any other things I have ever seen, I want to make it clear that that is astounding work.

Also, I want your children :p (that's not a joke)

TG

Anvils Hammer
19-08-2005, 09:17
thank you all for your kind words, they are appreciated.

@thorne, yeah, 'maiden are headlining, though i most looking forward to antiflag.

@mike, dont worry i wont rush any of it :p

@Barbarossa]
im going to...
milan
venice (inspiration you see)
some otehr places
rome,
3 or 4 places in greece
instanbul,
down the coast of turkey to rhode island and then flying back, a month in total, gonna be a great trip and ill have the board waiting for me when i get back.

TracerBullet
19-08-2005, 18:40
Got thing you just got yourself a new digicam then! :D
We want lots of inspirational pictures (on Photobucket or some such site) when you get back.

EmperorsChamp01
21-08-2005, 13:08
So hows the progress going? There hasnt been much action on this site for a while so i thought i would bring it back to the top. Awaiting new pics. Oh and a great job so far.

Rabid Bunny 666
21-08-2005, 13:35
i think hes on holiday, so it may be a while

edit: my bad, Puffmag got it right

Puffin Magician
21-08-2005, 15:40
If you look at his timetable in post #230 you'll see that he's busy with the Carnage Tournament this weekend and work on the board will [probably] resume on Monday.

Have patience, and be glad I'm not working on it [there'd be much less nice things to look at].

Anvils Hammer
21-08-2005, 20:18
hiya guys, glad to see you are all still interested.

as puffin says, work will begin again tomorow morning.

carnage tornament- went very very well, ahad some awesome battles agaisnt some great opponents and actually didnt do so badly- 3 closely fought draws, 1 crushing victory against somone, and i got my ass handed to me by a nurgle player in the final round.

Gaebriel
22-08-2005, 00:59
Good! So you can proceed with fresh energy tomorrow.

And of course we're still interested. You don't know how often we all clicked this thread in the last days, hoping for a new fix, and reliving the last week... ;)

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
22-08-2005, 04:17
Hey man....i bow to you...you are a god walking among men.

Also, where are you going in greece? thats where im from, but i live in the US now. PM me with the details i might be able to help you out with some travel arrangements

Gaebriel
23-08-2005, 09:51
Well. I hope you didn't drown in one of the channels, because then we had to VDR a rescue boat and initiate a search...

Will you give us a parting shot of the board?

Anvils Hammer
23-08-2005, 10:58
ok ok ok ok.. ill do some more on the board, i was leaning toward working on my LRC conversion....

pictures up at some time later today... *groans*

Hideous Loon
23-08-2005, 11:00
NO! You must stay away from doing super-hot conversions, and continue your super-hot Cityfight Venice! Resist, mortal!

The Librarian
23-08-2005, 18:51
so... i have two more days of work on the city, then thats it untill the 29th of september!!!

Yeah, you should be shot for that, but then we won't be able to see the finished product. But don't you worry, 'cause I'll be building my own meltagun (blowdryer powered by a turbo boosted V8) and you'll be executed for heresy if the board won't be complete.

MIGHTYPanhead
24-08-2005, 07:23
i love the board so far, it is ace!

but don't rush it, patience is key

I'll be building my own meltagun (blowdryer powered by a turbo boosted V8)

OMG!!! that is sooo cool!