PDA

View Full Version : High Elf 2k List.

Dirty Job
05-06-2007, 08:02
This particular list I will be using for a tourney. I am not however looking for an all-powerful list of doom. Im just looking for something I can have fun with, something which is fluff based and something which will look amazing on the table.

Lords and Heroes-

Prince Aelethir the Lionguard, riding Xerranzen
High Elf Prince riding a Dragon
Lionguard (for stubborn and the additional +2 to armor against shooting)
Vambraces of Defense
Lance, shield, dragon armor.

Arcanist Lorec StarFall
High Elf Mage standing with a unit of spearmen*
2x Dispel Scrolls
Channeller honor

Core Units-

Spearmen*(24)
Full Command

First Silver Helms(5)
Full command
Heavy Armor/Shields
Ellyrian Banner

Silver Helms(5)
Full command
Heavy Armor/Shields

Silver Helms(5)
Full Command
Heavy Armor/Shields

Special Units-

Dragon Princes(5)
Full command
Lion Standard

Tiranoc Chariots(2)

Rare Units-

Great Eagles(2)

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Total points: 2000
Power Dice: 4
Dispel Dice: 3 (2 dispel scrolls)

Any advice on how I can tighten this list?

Dirty Job
05-06-2007, 08:50
An alternate list:

Prince Exc'llion the Swordmaster
Swordmaster Honor
Armor of the Gods
Amulet of Purifying Flame

Mage, level 2
Dispel Scroll, Ring of Fury

Mage, level 2
Dispel Scroll x2

5 Silver Helms
Full Command
heavy armor/shields

5 silver helms
full command
heavy armor/shields

19 spearmen
full command

19 spearmen
full command

19 swordmasters
full command

5 dragon princes
full command

1 tiranoc chariot

2 great eagles

total points: 2000
power dice: 6
dispel dice: 4 (3 dispel scrolls)

kiron
05-06-2007, 14:40
This particular list I will be using for a tourney. I am not however looking for an all-powerful list of doom. Im just looking for something I can have fun with, something which is fluff based and something which will look amazing on the table.

Lords and Heroes-

Prince Aelethir the Lionguard, riding Xerranzen
High Elf Prince riding a Dragon
Lionguard (for stubborn and the additional +2 to armor against shooting)
Vambraces of Defense
Lance, shield, dragon armor.

I like this

Arcanist Lorec StarFall
High Elf Mage standing with a unit of spearmen*
2x Dispel Scrolls
Channeller honor

Might as well be lvl 2 if you using chaneller

Core Units-

Spearmen*(24)
Full Command

Uh....useless....dump them, get shadow warriors to babysit your mage.

First Silver Helms(5)
Full command
Heavy Armor/Shields
Ellyrian Banner

Take war banner, drop champion and give this banner to dragon princes

Silver Helms(5)
Full command
Heavy Armor/Shields

Drop the full command here and just take musician

Silver Helms(5)
Full Command
Heavy Armor/Shields

Drop the full command here and just take musician
Special Units-

Dragon Princes(5)
Full command
Lion Standard

might want to switch the standards, drop champion, take elyrion for this and give helms warbanner

Tiranoc Chariots(2)

Already mentioned take shadow warriors for body guards
Take more chariots, you want distractions for enemy cannons from your dragon.

Rare Units-

Great Eagles(2)

Repeater Bolt Thrower
Take another RBT with extra points

Total points: 2000
Power Dice: 4
Dispel Dice: 3 (2 dispel scrolls)

Any advice on how I can tighten this list?

So sum it up, you will save about 400 points, get another RBT, 8 shadow warriors, and 2 more chariots.

luckysevens
05-06-2007, 19:39
I'd agree with most of what Kiron said, but I wouldn't necessarily drop the spearmen, maybe shrink them to 20? They're the only unit in the army with any static CR, which is no bad thing. If you play aggressively and get them forwards, the prospect of a simultaneous charge from a Dragon/unit of knights and spearmen will pose most enemy units a real problem.

They're more vulnerable to magic and shooting - but if people are blasting them, they're not blasting you're 500pt Lord+Dragon, or your hard hitting knights.

Plus, as you're not after an uber competitive list, they fit right in :) Not a mean unit, but they'll surprise you sometimes.

Also, could be a bit 'kerrazy' and fly the dragon in to the unit - a stubborn, ld 10 unit with full static CR and a DRAGON in front rank? How fun would that be!? No-one would go near it, and obviously he could still be shot, but it would certainly be a laugh :)

Dirty Job
05-06-2007, 19:54
Everyone seems to say the same things over and over when it comes to high elves, so im gonna start taking a hint from that. Here goes the list i've come up with.

Prince with Lionguard, Vambraces of Defense
Dragon Armor, Shield, Lance

BSB with Sword of Might, Armor of the Gods
Dragon Armor

Mage level 1
2 dispel scrolls

Lords/Heroes points: 583

19 spearmen
full command

5 silver helms
heavy armor/shields

5 silver helms
heavy armor/shields

Troops points: 469

5 Dragon Princes
Standard/Drakemaster

2 Tiranoc Chariots

5 Shadow Warriors

18 Swordmasters
Blademaster; Amulet of Purifying flame

Special points: 645

2 RBTs

2 Great Eagles

Rare points: 300

Total points: 1999

with this setup the BSB would be stationed with the swordmasters as well as the prince, making them one giant unit of death. Plus, the amulet of purifying flame will help ensure magic against that unit (which is really one of its few major enemies) will rarely hit.

BSB with sword of might and enchanted shield was my idea. it gives the unit an additional 3 strength 5 attacks as well as a 2+ save in combat. On the charge this unit is dishing out 6 strength 5 attacks, 4 strength 6 attacks and it's stubborn. even if I don't win combat I doubt i'll be going anywhere.

luckysevens
05-06-2007, 22:38
Whatever happend to not wanting an all-powerful list of doom? :)

I'm a bit confused about your bsb - does he have armour of the gods, or enchanted shield? Enchanted shield isn't actually legal, and wouldn't give you a 2+ save anyway....

At the moment the bsb is 3+ save with s6 - you could get the same with just a barded steed and a lance, on the charge at least. The spare points could go for a banner, or more usefully a ward save and helm of fortune.

Given all the eggs in your Swordmaster basket, you might want to think about banner of arcane protection. Both the bsb and normal standard can carry it, and it would help a lot more than the amulet - both would obviously be good. 1 level 1 with 2 scrolls is not enough against lots of armies. There a lot of spells out there that could really put the hurt on the t3 5+ save unit - one of the Chaos ones, think Tzeentch, that makes all rank and file models in the unit attack each other, springs to mind. Even a 2d6 s3 magic missile could wreak some havoc.

Dirty Job
05-06-2007, 23:21
Whatever happend to not wanting an all-powerful list of doom? :)

I'm a bit confused about your bsb - does he have armour of the gods, or enchanted shield? Enchanted shield isn't actually legal, and wouldn't give you a 2+ save anyway....

At the moment the bsb is 3+ save with s6 - you could get the same with just a barded steed and a lance, on the charge at least. The spare points could go for a banner, or more usefully a ward save and helm of fortune.

Given all the eggs in your Swordmaster basket, you might want to think about banner of arcane protection. Both the bsb and normal standard can carry it, and it would help a lot more than the amulet - both would obviously be good. 1 level 1 with 2 scrolls is not enough against lots of armies. There a lot of spells out there that could really put the hurt on the t3 5+ save unit - one of the Chaos ones, think Tzeentch, that makes all rank and file models in the unit attack each other, springs to mind. Even a 2d6 s3 magic missile could wreak some havoc.

That's why I have the amulet of purifying flame. Roll a 7 standard on 2 dice and it still only comes out to a 4.

Edit--
Also, I said I didn't want an all powerful list of doom, and then people started chiming in with all powerful tweaks of doom. There's no escaping it :/

eleveninches
06-06-2007, 11:29
The most effective HE unit i have ever fielded is:
BSB (heavy armour, battle banner)

thats +d6 combat res. stick him in a combat unit and watch him earn his points back. maybe stick him on a horse, but that might make him appear to the enemy as to much of an obvious target before you tell him about the battle banner

zakk_wylde001
06-06-2007, 11:48
To be honest I thought your original list fulfilled all the requirements you posted. I don't agree with Kiron on dropping the command groups, you wanted something visually striking and a musician on his own is not.

I'm not a fan of Dragon Princes, but they fit in with the dragon riding lord. If you can find the points, definitely add another RBT.

Not much else I can suggest, good luck!

eleveninches
06-06-2007, 11:59
im not a fan of dragons. i used mine a couple of times, and it gets shot down far too easily

enyoss
06-06-2007, 12:03
Hi.

Your most recent list is much like I would pick (although I up the Swordmasters to ~30 and Spearmen to 25 with Warbanner).

I'd have to disagree with luckysevens on the BSB though; the current build you have (Armour of the Gods and Sword of Might) is very effective. However, I wouldn't put your BSB and Prince in the same unit. Instead, I'd put your BSB in the Spearmen... with a static combat res of +5/6 (or, if you use the Warbanner, +6/7!) they can take almost any charge (and still have some decent S6 attacks in response).

Also, although Lion Guard is really useful so you don't have to worry about taking a charge, I would prefer the Swordmaster honour. It's the Killing Blow on a 4A WS7 I7 guy... it scares my opponents silly! Though I suppose if you don't up the Swordmasters to ~30 you just won't be able to take a charge without Lion Guard.

Hope that's of some use :).

Cheers,

enyoss

EDIT: @luckysevens: I hate to be a killjoy, but I don't think flying monsters can join units :).

eleveninches
06-06-2007, 12:08
with such little magic defence, you might want to get something like loremasters cloak and amulet of purifying flame on your charachters. Upgrade your mage to lv2 with seer, and choose spell#5, then once it's cast, hide your mage from sight.

luckysevens
06-06-2007, 22:00
@ Enyoss: Awww shucks, is it not? I wasn't sure, and didn't have my rule book on me, but it seemed like a fun idea - oh well :)

As for the BsB, I guess it depends what you really want him to do. For me, he'd be there to provide the re-roll, and so should be kept alive - 2+ rerollable save with a 5+ ward is a lot better than a straight up 3+ for that. Plus the added movement of the steed could let you relocate him easily to where he's really needed. But I guess that's down to personal taste (I think also I just don't like armour of the gods, or any of the SoC items, they seem a bit fake to me, and very unelvish - I mean come on, an elven lord with a lightning claw? Power armour? :))

Back to the original poster - don't give in to the peer pressure! :) I think your original lists were more fun than the updated one

Dirty Job
07-06-2007, 03:29
@ Enyoss: Awww shucks, is it not? I wasn't sure, and didn't have my rule book on me, but it seemed like a fun idea - oh well :)

As for the BsB, I guess it depends what you really want him to do. For me, he'd be there to provide the re-roll, and so should be kept alive - 2+ rerollable save with a 5+ ward is a lot better than a straight up 3+ for that. Plus the added movement of the steed could let you relocate him easily to where he's really needed. But I guess that's down to personal taste (I think also I just don't like armour of the gods, or any of the SoC items, they seem a bit fake to me, and very unelvish - I mean come on, an elven lord with a lightning claw? Power armour? :))

Back to the original poster - don't give in to the peer pressure! :) I think your original lists were more fun than the updated one

It's just so hard though when the first few posts are the equivalent of someone telling you you're wrong. :(

the first list i've tried on several occasions and only lost once (and even then it was a draw) but I never really felt it was a very strong or interesting list. Without the dragon it's a one shot pony.