PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Tyranids/ Aggressive Tau?

Getifa Ubazza
05-06-2007, 15:42
Ok heres the question. Can Attacking style armies be used Defensively and can defensive armies be used aggressively?

Attacking armies would include but not exclusively be: Nids, Orks, Khorne/Chaos.

Defensive armies would include Tau, Imperial Guard.

Im not looking for all-rounder armies, as i know they can do this. Im looking for extreme armies doing what they where never ment to, on the table top.

What i am looking for is stories of your armies doing this. I want examples of how your Nids defended a bunker from those Tau attackers or how your Imperial Guard, totally destroyed those Black Tempers in bitter hand to hand streetfights.

Hope this is a fun topic and should be interesting if we get some cool stories from it.

Thanks

tuebor
05-06-2007, 16:47
I would say that Mechanized Tau are extremely aggressive. With their Devilfish mounted Fire Warriors and plethora of suits they keep on the move and attack wherever they want to with a ludicrous amount of firepower.

Xenocidal Maniac
05-06-2007, 16:53
Absolutely. I play my Guard extremely aggressively. I stick them out in the open, have them kill as much as possible, and then sit and laugh as the unit gets waxed next turn. Who cares? They're just guardsmen! :evilgrin:

I just can't sit back and do the Guard gunline. Deepstrike FTW!

Democratus
05-06-2007, 16:54
One of the stranger things in 40K is that the Tau fluff insists that they never defend fixed positions - while their army list is idealy suited to do so.

Nids should probably defend a position by attacking the attacker. But they do have some powerful ranged units (DakkaFex, SniperFex, etc.) that can do a good job of defending a position.

The Song of Spears
05-06-2007, 17:16
You bet, 5 wound, toughness 7, 2+ save, 4+ cover save regenerating carnifex = entrenched battle cannon. :p

Thanks to lurking, nids can do the sit and shoot pretty well, and far as Tau assaulting? I dunno... maybe if they threw all their units at one enemy unit and had some kroot in there to soften the blow, then maybe... but are kroot really 'tau offensiveness' ?

Slaaneshi Slave
05-06-2007, 17:48
Who says aggressive means assaulty? Sisters of Battle are extremely aggressive, but never get into an assault (if things go to plan). Dropping 40 Fire Warriors from Fishes in front of the enemy line within Rapid Fire range is pretty aggressive, but has nothing to do with assaulting.

Perfect Organism
05-06-2007, 18:01
...far as Tau assaulting? I dunno... maybe if they threw all their units at one enemy unit and had some kroot in there to soften the blow, then maybe... but are kroot really 'tau offensiveness' ?

Kroot are pretty crap on the offensive. They really need cover to protect them from shooting and let them strike first in close combat, so they can't really push forwards effectively.

Crisis Suits on the other hand are a quite plausible close assault unit (at least against units which are weak in close combat), although most of the casualties are going to be caused by short range shooting, with hand to hand combat only being used when the enemy are sufficiently depleted to pose no serious threat.

K0tka
05-06-2007, 18:05
yes, guard can be agressive as nids can.

guard (if I would make guard aggresive army)

Doctorine: Grenadier or/and Mechanised . pack every single-Storm trooper in chimera transport with comissars and stuff (If you wanna play with style, assaulting, put flamers in chimeras ;) ).

so you will race on your foe.

nids just need lot of Fexillas (told before).