PDA

View Full Version : Naming your models...

Icarus
05-06-2007, 16:12
Ok this is a real noob question, but I've just finished painting up my first gang, and I was going to print their names on the bases. But it occurred to me that over the course of the campaign I may buy new gear or something for a particular model, and I don't really have the time right now to convert models each time one of my guys gets a new pistol. Therefore it might be easier not to name them at all, and just put in a different model as the same guy when his gear changes.

So I guess my question is a) How often in a normal campaign can you expect to have to change the gear on a model?

and b) Do you name your models in this way and does it cause any problems?

Pure fear
05-06-2007, 16:48
It doesnt really matter as a little bit of paint can cover the name so you can re-write it, or swap them around. If your gang has multiple models with the same equipment, like my scavvies, then naming the bases is very useful.

Oh and you can expect to change the equipment about every other turn but most of the time it wont be drastic, but it depends on what you want and how much income you get.

Ancientsociety
05-06-2007, 19:59
A- It really depends. If you're ultra-fanatical about WYSIWYG, the you can expect to be changing at least one mini after every 1-2 games. If you're a bit more laidback and/or campaigning with friends, expect to change out or convert one mini per major weapon purchase/bionic/skill upgrade, which is usually about one every 4-5 games.

B-I'll usually just write the first initial of the mini on his/her base.

Icarus
05-06-2007, 20:48
Thanks guys, thats good to know. No I'm not fanatical about WYSIWYG, altho obviosuly its important, so I guess I'll go ahead and name them. As pointed out, its not too difficult to change names or limit conversion to absolutely necessary.

Eazy-O
05-06-2007, 21:02
As far as A) goes, i'd pretty much agree with Ancientsociety. In a reeeaally laid back campaign, you wouldn't even convert a major upgrade. :)

As for B) i just remember which is which... If you have the same equipment, at least pose/paint them different and maybe model some details that make the mini unique. Also, if you can't remember you can just write those details on the roster.

KaldCB
05-06-2007, 21:52
write a number on the back of the base, and write a number on your roster.
makes it easy to find out what model you use.

Pure fear
05-06-2007, 23:13
Just out of interest, what is your gang and what names have you chosen?
I find this kind of thing quite interesting.

BTW. Those are some nice deathwing KaldCB!

Icarus
06-06-2007, 00:27
My gang is a Delaque gang. I named the Leader after myself and the rest are named after gun-toting heroes from various films, tv shows and computer games! :)

The gang members are known as Raynor, Mal, Marv, Freeman, Animal Mother, Pyro, Cpt Jack, Neo, Leon, Hicks, Korben, Dutch, Goodspeed, Crichton and Garibaldi.

(Note I have more models than in my current gang seen here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73265), but hopefully all will get a look in at some point.)

Catferret
06-06-2007, 01:07
I tend to paint a number underneath the base and mark the roster sheet beside the name.

I do make a point of naming everybody in the gang. I take names thet appear in songs or album titles or even the artists themselves. Seems to have kept me in good stead so far.

Ancientsociety
06-06-2007, 02:45
As far as A) goes, i'd pretty much agree with Ancientsociety. In a reeeaally laid back campaign, you wouldn't even convert a major upgrade. :)

That's true. I remember when Necromunda first came out (first minigame I ever bought and played) my friends and I played the entire summer with only the plastic Orlocks and Goliaths that came with it. By August, some gangers had multiple bionics, rare weaponry, and tons of skills but they were all the vanilla gangers!

Fun times....

ScooterinAB
06-06-2007, 05:04
To be terribly honest, I don't think I have ever converted a model past gang generation (but that was back when I had no money, and you couldn't mail order anything).

In Blood Bowl (at least in the last box released), you are given a series of number decals. The idea is that you number the players like a sport team, and place them in the right place on the numbered roster sheet.

gitburna
06-06-2007, 09:49
i dont really name my gangers on the bases.. But i do on the roster. Certain gangers will nearly always get the same model, my B.A. conversion for instance... And likewise Conehead. They clearly cant be anyone else, so they always get shotguns. Otherwise i will switch models around during the campaign. I also came up with an idea of blue tacking equipment to the models bases when i couldnt model it to the figure. So after a few campaigns i have an "equipment box" full of painted items which i aquired during the games, and which i then blu-tack to a base if i get a similar item [for instance i have a boltgun with red-dot laser sight and a chain-axe combat attachment.]

The alternative is that you have to keep converting your models inbetween games...

Angelwing
06-06-2007, 13:38
i go with numbering the bases. easy to change around on the gang sheet.
names, usually named after celebs of the hour or film/novel characters. An odd few are named after mates.

Pure fear
06-06-2007, 14:13
My scavvies are named after various computer game characters, book characters and film characters.

My Boss is called Shrike, the two scalies are called Venom and Nemesis(deceased...), then there is Dogar, Jaren, Four Eyes, Ourok, Zorn and Spike.
I may have to steal that idea Gitburna... yeeessss...:evilgrin:

Phyros
06-06-2007, 17:45
I usually just paint numbers on the base and reference them on the roster.

As for names....no one starts out with a name in my gangs except the Leader. Models earn their (nick)names based on game actions and perfomance. Like if a guy constantly drops grenades and they scatter back to him, he mght get the name "Shakes". Or if a guy ends up with a leg wound, he might be called "Gimpy" or "Stumpy".

Names earned that really add character and bring back memories of how they got them. And you can tell the stories of how they got that name too.

Pure fear
06-06-2007, 23:16
Or if a guy ends up with a leg wound, he might be called "Gimpy" or "Stumpy"

Lol if the PC guys read this they would go mental, although that is quite a cool way of doing things, it would be the same in real life i would imagine.

Guy joins gang wanting to forget his past, no one knows his name. He shoots a few people in the knackers and Nutcrackers born!

EDIT: Or even "Knackerwhacker".... *gets coat*

colmarekblack
10-06-2007, 17:27
In relation how does one name spyrers? do you just simply call them by their suit name? (Orrus, Jakara etc) or would you call them by their family name

Daredhnu
10-06-2007, 17:58
give em titles like duke & baron and combine that with house names for something like this.

Duke Hennrich Catallus
Baroness Kitana Ty

stuff like, atleast that's what i would do.

Eazy-O
11-06-2007, 21:41
As for names....no one starts out with a name in my gangs except the Leader. Models earn their (nick)names based on game actions and perfomance. Like if a guy constantly drops grenades and they scatter back to him, he mght get the name "Shakes". Or if a guy ends up with a leg wound, he might be called "Gimpy" or "Stumpy".

Well everybody has a name, you can add nicknames later. That's how we did it, anyway. :)

colmarekblack
13-06-2007, 19:22
Randy "Hulk" Ko'iron- Orrus
James "Nightwing" Ty- Yeld
Lily "Angel" Ty- Yeld
Leela "Swift" Cattallus- Jakara
Buddy "Grimstalker" Ran Lo- Malcadon

My names for my campaign spyrer gang, came up with whilst watching the poker.

nightgant98c
13-06-2007, 23:19
I don't like painting the names on the bases, as you might use them as different guys in a different gang later.

Zedric
19-06-2007, 07:14
So I guess my question is a) How often in a normal campaign can you expect to have to change the gear on a model?problems?
In a similar note, has anyone considered pinning and magnetizing hands/arms/weapons? Or better yet, done it?

It seems like in a game like Necromunda, it'd be WAY easier than conversion - I'd LIKE to be a stickler for WYSIWYG, since I'm such a visual person, but it seems woefully impractical.

Quin 242
19-06-2007, 14:13
Most Necro models are metal and that makes arm swaps with magnets a little more difficult. Would work ok for Goliath guys if you used Catachan arms tho..

Some arms are close to the body and would be near impossible to make swapable.
The newest models look like they'd be fairly swappable tho...

bosstroll
03-07-2007, 14:21
Ive used the numbers on the base method aswell.

Even though my delaque have had the same names for about 8 years now :)

My spyrer team doesnt use names, they have a designation, build up of 2 letters, a dash and a number. The first letter denotes the *type* of spyrer, C = Orrus, Q = Yeld, V = Malcadon and R= Jakara. The 2nd letter and the number are randomly thought up by me.

My current kickass Orrus, for example, is called CX-19

colmarekblack
03-07-2007, 15:35
Nah Spyrers are to few in number not to be given names. I give them first names, a nickname in the middle and then a last name (one of the noble houses). For example:

I call my Orrus, Randy 'Hulk' Ko'iron

My Malcadon is called Buddy 'Grimstalker' Ran Lo

and my Jakara is called Leela 'Swift' Cattallus

I did have a Yeld called James 'Nightwing' Ty but he got captured and killed.

Icarus
04-07-2007, 12:55
Ive used the numbers on the base method aswell.

Even though my delaque have had the same names for about 8 years now :)

My spyrer team doesnt use names, they have a designation, build up of 2 letters, a dash and a number. The first letter denotes the *type* of spyrer, C = Orrus, Q = Yeld, V = Malcadon and R= Jakara. The 2nd letter and the number are randomly thought up by me.

My current kickass Orrus, for example, is called CX-19

I did something a bit similar in the end. All my guys are named, but they have callsigns rather than regular names. That way models can be switched easily with just an amendment to the roster. Hence the guy with codename 'Mal' is switched to codename 'Pyro' once he gets hold of a flamer.

Zeke1973
30-07-2007, 18:56
My old Spyrers gang was called "the Headhunters" and the names of the members were:

Ironfist (Orrus)
Deathclaw and Shadow (Malcadons)
Stormwing (Yeld)
Banshee (Jakara)

In my opinion, cool names similar to superheroes. :cool:

On the other hand, my Escher ladies in the gangs "Bloodsisters" and "Wildcats" have names like Mariah, Donna, Britney, Lil' Kim and so on, based on famous female pop/rock/rap stars. :)

Wilger
03-08-2007, 15:13
Well my enforcers are all named after cops from the series 10-8.

Allways in for naming the models do it in all the games i play.

AnkhAngel
04-08-2007, 01:01
My group and I tended to just use the models as we'd made them before starting the campaign.
As far as naming we just wrote a number on their bases and named them on the gang roster.

I play Escher and my last gang were called:

Petal “DAVE” Petunia - (She was the heavy and I'd greenstuffed rather OTT muscles onto her, so we decided she was a guy in drag).
Kerrigan - My leader
Lola - Ganger
Mona - Ganger
Cleo - Ganger
Alexis - Ganger
Zahira - Ganger
Kiko - Juve
Jade - Juve
Kai - Juve

Cpt. Drill
04-08-2007, 23:32
To save having to convert models I tend to equip people with what they should spend most of the campaign with... and just expand your gang instead of re-equipping everyone!

My gang was a Pit slave gang!

Leader: The Driller Killer
Techno: Dimitri
Slave: Brains
Slave: Kaiser Girl
Slave: Old 'armless
SLave: The Jackle
Slave: Andrew the Andriod

Venomizer
17-08-2007, 11:57
In relation how does one name spyrers? do you just simply call them by their suit name? (Orrus, Jakara etc) or would you call them by their family name

to name my spyrers I came up with nicknames that other gangers would potentially give them

the last team I used a couple of years back:

The Manticore Collective

'Bull' - Orrus
'Nightstalker' - Malcadon
'Bone Grinder' - Orrus
'Shadowbound' - Malcadon

I'm tempted to buy all the Spyrers and get back into Necromunda again

ZomboCom
17-08-2007, 23:34
I still mourn my gantg's great hero - John Matrix.

LordOfDarkStuff
17-08-2007, 23:59
I name most of my gangers using random names I have thought of, or along some general theme. I also can use the model to help make a name. Right now I have a Goliath Gang with about 20 gangers, so there are alot of fun names. Some of the better ones are:

Glorm the Conquer - Juve
Tea Master - Juve
The Paper Crane- Juve
Buffet Bill- Ganger
"Grill" Omaley- Heavy
The Bird Man - Ganger
Mr. Giggles- Heavy

The Birdman is a favorite in my gaming group, he is a crazy old man who collects birds. He is armed with a lasgun, and also has an old battle wound. Whenever he isnt fighting, it has something to do with his birds. He wears a bird nest as a hat.

Mr. Giggles has a heavy bolter, and he wears a jester's hat. Hence the name Mr. Giggles.

As for WYSIWYG, I try and stay with it, but it can be hard when you have 10 juves all with laspistols. I try and use the same models every game, so can associate certain models with certain gangers.