PDA

View Full Version : wood elf cavalry

chaos100
05-06-2007, 20:27
hi

in many different posts i have seen people saying that Glade riders and wild riders are great but they seem realy weak to me so could some one tell me why people say they are good and please tell me what they are used for

cheers

Zapherion
05-06-2007, 20:52
i personally dont like glade riders, but wild riders are a completely different kettle of fish

While they seem soft they really are a kick ass fast cavalry unit and i definatly include them in my army for every battle

god octo
05-06-2007, 21:17
Glade riders are quite good as an annoyance unit: you shoot at an enemy and then use the unit to draw them into charging. You then flee the charge and then counter charge with a separate unit.

Plus they are one of the few WE units that can deny rank bonus.

pcgamer72
05-06-2007, 21:28
Glade Riders are also great for taking out war machines and generally pestering your opponent. I'm not a fan of Warhawk Riders, so I prefer to use Glade Riders for war machine hunters, while I would use Wild Riders for harder units.

Deacon Bane
06-06-2007, 01:02
If you are fighting WE, which unit would you want to take out first?

pcgamer72
06-06-2007, 04:39
Well that really depends... but as a blanket answer, I suppose I would have to say the Wild Riders because they are more expensive and hit harder.

god octo
06-06-2007, 08:34
Plus, they are marginally capable of dealing with an opponent on their own, unlike all the other WE units.

Vattendroppe
06-06-2007, 08:47
Glade riders are like any other fast cav that can shoot. Only they have ordinary bows instead of short bows (they're not lone with that though), BS 4 and don't get any penalty for M&S. So they're kind of good at marching around and shooting at anything they like. Plus they don't get any movement penalty through woods.

Wild riders don't have much armour, but they do have a 5+ ward save against non-magical attacks which help out quite a bit, they also can move through woods without penalty. With their constant str 5 and ws 5 they are pretty strong in combat, not to mention that they get fear on the first round of combat. Also, they're fast cav, and a unit that's strong in CC plus fast cav can be devestating.

Like all WE units, they're weak on toughness and armour, but that's something you cannot get away from if you're playing WE anyway.

Franco
06-06-2007, 17:53
I cant wait to use some glade riders. They cause alot of trouble, getting behind the army line and dancing along shooting and marching. That is the bonus, getting to march and shoot!!!

Dairym
06-06-2007, 22:33
Glade riders are especially expensive and fragile - more than some heavy cavalry, with only a 6+ save. In mitigation they are very good light cavalry - BS4, M9 is as good as it gets in their role. I always take the one unit, for flanking and cutting down enemy missile fire (although this will often get them killed - I find the trick is to send 2 or 3 fast units after the same target).

Wild riders are deceptively tough with get their ward save and can duke out large numbers of attacks, including a valuable strength 5 on the charge. However, as with glade riders you have to use their speed to pick your targets - they're not quite heavy cavalry, and can't take out the toughest targets single-handed. Not difficult with M9 fast cavalry of course.