PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Strigoi Tournament Roster

JDman
06-06-2007, 01:05
Hello everyone, I just got back from the Vegas GT playing imperial guard and decided that I wanted to get back into fantasy. I want to play a Strigoi list and I am looking for suggestions of something that will do well for tournament play. Below is the first list I made it has a combination of what models I like plus some tactical thought. This list has two big blocks, a couple fighty characters, some grave guard, and plenty of small flanking, warmachine hunting, regiment absorbing units.

In this army I like to use the Tank/Flank strategy, let my units absorb charges, and then flank using what ever is neccessary or nearby. The etheral hosts hold off units for a turn or two and bats for taking out warmachines.

Characters - The Count and 1 necromancer enter one unit, the other necro enters the other unit of zombies, and the wight lord goes along with the grave guard.

Preliminary Suggestions - Spirit Hosts, is three too many? Could two work instead of three, by doing so I can increase the amount of hounds and perhaps add some grave guard and/or other units.

2000 Pts - Vampire Counts Roster

Strigoi Vampire Count, Level 2 Upgrade; Hatred;
Curse of the Revenant, Iron Sinews 315pts

Necromancer Level 2, Upgrade; Book of Arkhan 125pts

Necromancer Level 2, Upgrade; Dispel Scroll 125pts

Wight Lord, Heavy Armor; Shield, Sword of Kings 91pts

38 Zombies, Standard Bearer 238pts

39 Zombies, Standard Bearer 244pts

7 Ghouls, 56pts

7 Ghouls, 56pts

7 Ghouls, 56pts

5 Dire Wolves, 50pts

6 Dire Wolves, 60pts

20 Grave Guard,
Standard Bearer; Champion, Heavy Armor, Shield Banner of the Barrows 329pts

3 Fell Bats 60pts

3 Spirit Host 195pts

Total Roster Cost: 2000

zakk_wylde001
06-06-2007, 11:08
I've never been a huge fan of Spirit Host, my armies have never found a use for them. Maybe drop a base and add a Doom Wolf for each unit, the extra attack with a small frontage I usually find critical for this unit. Take out a Grave Guard (with a Wight you'll have a unit of 20:p) and add a musician (might not be all that useful in your eyes, but they can help). Other than that I think it's a solid list and I really like it, good luck!

M_M
06-06-2007, 12:21
I am not a undead player but i have seen how most of your units work

lose a grave guard like zakkwylde001 said, and use the spare points for the wolves
3 spirit hosts will do the job you want them to, i am unsure if 2 will be as effective, sure they still can hold most things off for a turn but 3 is a good size that should hold off for 2 turns at least

but other than that i can't see any major weaknesses

Lord Khabal
06-06-2007, 12:35
You should put the ghouls units in 9 elements, because of their low leadership (with 7, if you kill 2 you must test!!!) and eventual panic tests. And put the wight lord on a barded nightmanre.
Personally i'm not a big fan of zombies... rather use skeletons. But you can allways add more latter on so it's up to you.
And buy a banshee...

JDman
06-06-2007, 15:23
This is a sort of revised list, increasing the ghoul units to 9 each, lowering zombie units by 4 guys or so and dropping 1 grave guard.

As suggested, dropping the one grave guard is basically like free points, and dropping a few zombies got me 6 more ghouls so my units had 9, thus making them test when they lose three guys instead of two.

So far Im liking the look of this list, but im unsure if ill need another unit of zombies to make it work well.

2000 Pts - Vampire Counts Roster

Strigoi Vampire Count, Level 2 Upgrade; Hatred;
Curse of the Revenant, Iron Sinews 315pts

Necromancer Level 2, Upgrade; Book of Arkhan 125pts

Necromancer Level 2, Upgrade; Dispel Scroll 125pts

Wight Lord, Heavy Armor; Shield, Sword of Kings 91pts

35 Zombies, Standard Bearer 220pts

36 Zombies, Standard Bearer 226pts

9 Ghouls, 72pts

9 Ghouls, 72pts

9 Ghouls, 72pts

5 Dire Wolves, 50pts

6 Dire Wolves, 60pts

19 Grave Guard,
Standard Bearer; Champion, Heavy Armor, Shield Banner of the Barrows 316pts

3 Fell Bats 60pts

3 Spirit Host 195pts

Total Roster Cost: 1999

Gimp
06-06-2007, 15:45
My friend takes a a Wraith on a nightmare (no barding) and then gives him the Obsidian Amulet. So the only things that can hurt him he has a +4 ward save against and if its magic an extra despell dice. He then uses him as a terror weapon going around scaring enemy units.

You could also take a Thrall and give it batform. Put him in a unit then as soon as you get within 20 inches of the enemys warmachies charge him and kill them all.

By the way I would usually use Spirirt Hosts but if its a Tournament there will be lots of magic Wood Elves I would not take them.

JDman
06-06-2007, 16:46
I really like the Spirit hosts on paper, but they are fragile to magic, Ill probably try them out a game or two against my wood elf friend.

I really like wraiths, however I just cant seem to find a way to include them in my army, two necromancers seem like a must, and the wight lord with sword of kings is grand, ill probably try out a few games swapping out the wightlord with either a thrall or wraith, its just banner of the 3+ hit, plus 5+ killing blow is just so nice.[dice0]

Rabban
06-06-2007, 23:46
I really like the Spirit hosts on paper, but they are fragile to magic, Ill probably try them out a game or two against my wood elf friend.

Don't bother with spirit hosts against wood elves, almost all of their units that you'd want to hold up have magical attacks, add the magical bows, and treemans ranged attack to this and you've got one very dead eathereal unit.

The only thing they're any good for is dealing with wardancers and waywatchers, not really worth effort.