PDA

View Full Version : Armies that do very well at 1k pts?

RobbiP
06-06-2007, 01:39
I want to start a small WHFB army (~1k) but I'm not sure what list I wana start... my main opponent is going to be a dwarf player and the army I'd prefer would be magic-heavy.. some ideas I considered are VC Zombie horde and Chaos Slaanesh-magic-heavy list... any good? All suggestions and comments appreciated!

/Robbi

Aelyn
06-06-2007, 01:55
Frankly, I'd say that if you're mainly going to be playing 1000 points against Dwarves, heavy magic is not the way to go. Most Dwarf players consider the Master Rune of Balance invaluable, and that means that you need two level two wizards just to have a power pool equal in size to their dispel pool. Expensive for the game size and not exactly reliable.

If you're sure you want to go magic heavy, I'd say Tomb Kings. They're one of the hardest armies to defend against magically simply because they have a reliable volume of spells.

That said, Tomb Kings are not very good at all in 1K. The best armies in smaller games are the ones which have a good combination of maneuverability, speed and hitting power. For these reasons Wood Elves and Lizardmen are very powerful in smaller games.

RobbiP
06-06-2007, 10:56
Hmm.. one thing that caught my eye from WE are dryads.. they're strong yet skirmishers, which means lots of flanking and whatnot. It also reduces the Dwarven shooting phase. For a list I'd consider several squads of dryads, maybe a treeman, a bow-armed lord who'd hide in trees, maybe even a mage. Would this fare ok in 1k pts?

Regarding lizardmen.. since skinks are the 'mainstay' of the lizzie host.. maybe a "skink" force armed with lotsa skinks, salamanders, some kroxidors, and the hero slot with skink priests. It'd be a very shooty army with heavy counterattack potential. Any use?

/Robbi

eleveninches
06-06-2007, 12:18
I play dwarfs at 1000 points. Pure gunline ;)

I can say that the most difficult thing to play against at this level is SKIRMISHERS. Go fo a wood elf or skaven SKIRMISHER army, and you are sure to tear any gunline to pieces

zakk_wylde001
06-06-2007, 12:19
Hmm.. one thing that caught my eye from WE are dryads.. they're strong yet skirmishers, which means lots of flanking and whatnot. It also reduces the Dwarven shooting phase. For a list I'd consider several squads of dryads, maybe a treeman, a bow-armed lord who'd hide in trees, maybe even a mage. Would this fare ok in 1k pts?

Regarding lizardmen.. since skinks are the 'mainstay' of the lizzie host.. maybe a "skink" force armed with lotsa skinks, salamanders, some kroxidors, and the hero slot with skink priests. It'd be a very shooty army with heavy counterattack potential. Any use?

/Robbi

I've put up 4 1k Wood Elf army lists in the Army List Forum if you want to check them out, they might give you a bit of an idea (even though they still need some tweaking and aren't specifically "traditional" WE lists). To fight Dwarves at 1k can be a very hard to beat I've found, Wood Elves can be VERY effective against them, but you need to sample the Darf army first to be able to get an idea of it's limitations and chances to exploit it.

ReveredChaplainDrake
06-06-2007, 13:10
Southlands Lizards is the best low-cost list I've ever seen. All those Skinks with poisoned Short Bows, Salamanders, and Terradons are incredibly potent, and 3x Lv2 Skink Priests w/ Tepok, some Power Stones and a Diadem of Power in there somewhere will rule the roost in the magic phase. That's 10 Power Dice without the Stones. So long as you don't miscast terribly, all the Forked Lightnings, Thunderbolts, and Comets will reduce any other 1000-pt army to dust.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
06-06-2007, 15:36
I'd say Empire would be best at 1k. They just seem to work. Although thats using a captain and the rest troops (or at least what I had in mind) so magic heavy would really fit there.

RobbiP
07-06-2007, 08:56
Alrighty... I've kinda narrowed my choices down to

-Brettonians: An all-knight Mousillon themed list
-WE: All forest sprite
-BoC: Chariot heavy list
-Lizards: Skink+Krox heavy list

I've avoided Empire because the only style I'd ever play them as would be gunline, and that doesn't look particularly fun esp. against Dwarves. How viable are armies of (almost) entirely skirmishers?

/Robbi

Sauron90
07-06-2007, 08:59
As said above WE with all forest spirits is extremly deadly in 1000 points. For Me I use a list with elves too becuse I like friendly games. (But I do throw in the Treeman).

eleveninches
07-06-2007, 12:27
I am a dwarf player who often plays 1000 point games, and I HATE playing them against wood elves (forest spirits) armies. :( Other skirmisher-heavy armies will do well also, making their artillary (cannons and bolt-throwers) practically useless.

e.g. skaven, woodelf (forest spirits), skinks

Wadders
07-06-2007, 22:29
Skaven

why.... nasty, cheap shooting
plenty troops (still have the same leadership because of the rank bonus)
Engineers with warp lightning
Variety of cheap choices...

fubukii
08-06-2007, 06:42
i agree with skaven

Dranthar
08-06-2007, 12:25
Night Goblins. :D

Gunlines would only be able to kill so many and you'll severely out-number them, making it much easier to pull off flank charges. A combination of nets and hatred helps even the odds in combat vs. dwarfs, and squig hoppers make excellent skirmishers.

They also look cool, which is a huge bonus IMO. :cool:

Whistler
08-06-2007, 14:57
Beasts.Having core,cheap skirmishers able of winning combat's is quite nice,backed with mino's and chariot and maybe a unit furies.then throw in a decent Wargor or maybe a bsb with Vit totem and let the slaughter begin :evilgrin:

Rightnow
08-06-2007, 15:37
I'd say Empire would be best at 1k. They just seem to work. Although thats using a captain and the rest troops (or at least what I had in mind) so magic heavy would really fit there.

I second Empire. Empire can truly be nasty at 1000 points. If your Dwarf opponent want to fight you will out number him and can get on his flanks, if he wants to sit back and shoot you can do that as well and claim table quarters.

Empire is a great army because it scales up so nicely from a 250 point warband to a 3000 point epic army.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
08-06-2007, 15:53

sorry i did it again. what I meant to say was that heavy magic wouldn't fit there. such a small mistake can change the meaning of the whole thing :rolleyes:

Baron Von Rotten
09-06-2007, 04:07
I would have to play O+G at 1000 points. So much variety. All you need is a General and a BSB. After that, you can do whatever theme you like..... (speed, shooty, hitty, etc).

For VC, the Army of Sylvania is the only way to go. At 1K, you can't take a Vamp, and Necromancers are a liability as your general. Might as well take a Von Carstien Thrall (spellcaster with FDEA) who can kick butt in combat...........

BVR

gerrymander61
12-06-2007, 03:11
I'd say skaven make a quite powerful 1000 point battle. In small games, Engineers are the way to go magically both in pure damage output and in price. They lack reliability, but you can get 3 for a comparably low cost with far more destructive power than other races. Or, you can get 2 and a chieftan general, giving your units effective ld9. Skaven also have cheap skirmishers that are quite effective, though limited by the mainstay rule.

Alathir
12-06-2007, 03:19
Bretonnia can field a surprisingly scary amount of knights at 1000 points and I've had quite alot of success with them at this size. You can field 3 full lanceheads of 9 knights and a unit 3 Pegasus Knights.