PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts lizardmen - 3 or 4 Saurus Characters?

EndlessBug
06-06-2007, 10:31
Ok, so I love Saurus, especially as we can make them anti magic slightly for just 60 points we can have 5 Dispel Dice (80 pts for 6 if I go 4 chars). There's 2 lists however, I'm debating between the use of 1 Saurus Scar Vet and 3 Terradons and 5 chamelion skinks basically.

Here are the lists:

LIST 1:

LORD
Saurus Oldblood
- Blade fo the Revered Tzunki
- Glyph Necklace
- Shield
- Light armour
- Tepok
- Quetzl

HEROES
Saurus Scar Veteran
- Cold One
- Scimitar of the Sun Resplendant
- Itzl
- Tepok
- Shield
- Light Armour

Saurus Scar Veteran
- Great Weapon
- Charm of the Jaguar Warrior
- Quetzl
- Tepok
- Shield
- Light Armour

Saurus Scar Veteran
- Great Weapon
- Gleaming Pendant of Chotec
- Quetzl
- Tepok
- Shield
- Light Armour

CORE
10 Skinks
- Blowpipes
- scouts

10 skinks
- Javelins and Shields

20 Saurus Warriors
- Full Command

19 Saurus Warriors
- Full Command

SPECIAL
3 Kroxigor

5 Saurus Cavalry
- Full Command
- Huanchi's Blessed Totem

RARE
2 Salamanders

Dispel Dice: 6
TOTAL: 2000 points

LIST 2:

LORD
Saurus Oldblood
- Blade fo the Revered Tzunki
- Glyph Necklace
- Shield
- Light armour
- Tepok
- Quetzl

HEROES
Saurus Scar Veteran
- Cold One
- Itzl
- Tepok
- Shield
- Light Armour

Saurus Scar Veteran
- Great Weapon
- Gleaming Pendant of Chotec
- Quetzl
- Tepok
- Shield
- Light Armour

CORE
10 Skinks
- Blowpipes
- scouts

10 skinks
- Javelins and Shields

17 Saurus Warriors
- Full Command

19 Saurus Warriors
- Full Command

SPECIAL
3 Kroxigor

5 Saurus Cavalry
- Full Command
- Huanchi's Blessed Totem

3 Terradons

5 Chamelion Skinks

RARE
2 Salamanders

Dispel Dice: 5
TOTAL: 1996 points

I'm favouring the 2nd list atm as it has so much more disabling power for war machines and other such nasties that could spell disaster for my Blocks of elite infantry. The Gleaming Pendant is a must, i love this item. and I know, I don't have the JSoD in the 2nd army :eek: but I chose the nasty 17 strength 5 attacks and 6 strength 4 on the Cavalry instead.

M_M
06-06-2007, 12:50
I like list 2

lose the chameleon skinks as skink scouts are just as effective and you can get more

get another 1-2 cold one riders and bump both saurus units up to 19 with the points

ReveredChaplainDrake
06-06-2007, 13:02
Looks like there's somebody besides me who likes the Quetzl & Tepok spawning combo. I've heard that taking this many spawnings on your Saurus Heroes can crank up their points ridiculously high, but IMO, the benefits outweigh the cost. (Especially seeing as how cheap the Spawning of Quetzl is on a Hero.)

IMO, JSoDs really aren't that fun or surprising. If you have a decent amount of skinks and other fast skirmishers (in your case, Chameleons) you should be fine. Most of the danger of JSoDs is the 360-degree LoS and march blocking. Due to always being outnumbered and not denying rank bonuses, JSoDs are practically useless at breaking large foot blocks, but they are pretty good at smashing into big, tough units like wounded Dragons or Knights. JSoDs also make good Generals because, while Saurus don't really care for the inspiring presence of an Oldblood, Skinks do.

Also another opinion, Tepok is great, but I'm more pessimistic about magic defense. I never go without at least one Lv1 Skink w/ 2x Dispel Scrolls, or sometimes even two if I'm fielding a Slann. It only takes one good Pit of Shades, Comet of Casandora or Invocation of Nehek to ruin your day, and stopping them instantly (short of the unlikely Irresistable Force) is invaluable.

EndlessBug
06-06-2007, 13:13
M_M - I LOVE Chamelion skinks, and I know everyone says that normal skinks do a good enough job but I'm a bit stubborn in that area, If I can afford them i'll take them. I would like to bump the Saurus up to 20 but I don't know where the points would come from. Likewise on the cavalry (the saurus scar vet is with them so it is a 6 frontage) 1 more would be nice but I feel its more of a luxury. Thanks for the advice, know where I might be able to get the points for the extra few saurus?

ReveredChaplainDrake - Glad to hear another fan of the most amazing spawnings given to us! JSoD's are so nie for chariot destroying! but little else like you say, I'm glad you back me up on the decision to drop it from the 2nd list. I would go for a skink priest, but i'm trying to avoid it in this army, besides I'd have to drop either the salamanders or terradons for it and I'd rather keep em.

EndlessBug
06-06-2007, 13:16
ok so I'm now thinking this:

Change:
Saurus Scar Veteran
- Cold One
- Itzl
- Tepok
- Shield
- Light Armour

to:
Saurus Scar Veteran
- Cold One
- Curse-Charm of Tepok
- Spear
- Itzl
- Tepok
- Shield
- Light Armour

bump the 17 saurus to 19.

what do you think?

rinto_tinto
06-06-2007, 16:06
What's a JSoD?

EndlessBug
06-06-2007, 17:04
Jaguar Saurus of Doom:

this bad boy:

Saurus Scar Veteran
- Great Weapon
- Charm of the Jaguar Warrior
- Quetzl
- Tepok
- Shield
- Light Armour
(normally with sotek instead of Tepok)

so usually it has a 18" charge range with 5 strength 7 attacks, just a nice little surprise for those chariots.