PDA

View Full Version : First Fantasy List - Wood Elves

Inquisitor Engel
11-08-2005, 22:34
Well, it would appear I've been drawn into WFB once more. The new Wood Elves are just too tasty to pass up, what with my love for all things with pointy ears. This is just a list I threw together, hoping it will do well.

It's odd, as I'd experimented with High Elves, who have lots of cheap and cheerful magic, yet the Wood Elves... don't. Even their special stuff is expensive and hard to combine that well.

I don't even have names yet...

Heros

Highborn - 265 Pts
General, 2ndWeapon, Longbow, Light Armour, Shield
Stone of Rebirth
Hunter's Talon
Hagbane Arrows
Elf Steed

Attached to Glade Riders

Spellsinger - 175 Pts
Magic Level 2, Lore of Athel Loren
Glamourweave
Ranu's Heartstone

Alter Noble - 156 Pts
Alter, 2ndWeapon, Longbow, Light Armour
Sword of a Thousand Winters
Enchanted Shield
Helm of the Hunt

Noble - 142 Pts
Light Armour, Battle Standard
Banner of Dwindling
Attached to Eternal Guard

Core

11 Dryads - 156 Pts
1 Branch Nymph

15 Glade Guard - 216 Pts
Longbow, Standard, Musician
1 Lord's Bowman

6 Glade Riders - 312 Pts
Spear, Longbow, Standard, Musician
1 Horse Master

10 Eternal Guard - 162 Pts
Standard, Musician
1 Guardian

Special

7 Wardancers - 165 Pts
Wardancer Weapons, Musician
1 Bladesinger

Rare

9 Waywatchers - 248 Pts
2ndWeapon, Longbow
1 Shadow Sentinel

Casting Pool: 4
Dispel Pool: 3
Models in Army: 68

Total Army Cost: 1997

I've gone for a much more troop heavy list, but I've given my characters designed roles.

The Highborn is very much a character hunter, with the Hunter's Talon allowing him to snipe characters, ignoring normal shooting rules, and the Hagbane Arrows force models to take a Toughness test for each wound, they fail, they die, no saves allowed. Mounting him with the Glade Guard should give him some good protection (Not to mention the stone of rebirth).

He'll be made by placing the Waywatcher Noble's torso on the mounted Lord's legs.

The Alter Noble is a unit killer. With 5 Attacks, Movement and Initiative 9 and a 3+ save, a well timed strike between he and another unit (I'm thinking Wardancers or Eternal Guard) could spell doom for any unit he comes across. Alternatively, he can take and dish out challenges with a good chance of success.

The Spellweaver is, well, obviously a Spellweaver. I'll decide his role as I figure out what Spells he has...

The rest is pretty much based on aesthetics and what I intend on buying. I love the look of the Waywatchers and Eternal Guard, so they went in, I'm buying a box of Glade Guard tomorrow, and I already have the Dryads.

So... rip it to shreds. :D

Warlord Queek
12-08-2005, 09:23
It's a considerably well balanced list. But shouldn't you have some more scouts or more hard-hitting cc troops.I'd replace the eternal guard by another unit of dryads (but that's just a personal taste). Dryads do very much damage for their point cost.

Zeb
12-08-2005, 10:57
Nice list!

Just remeber that the character cant shoot if the Glade Riders march, since he isn't fast cav...

I would probably divide the Waywatcher into two separate units with 5 or possibly 6 in each unit...

Good Luck!

athamas
12-08-2005, 11:07
one3 thing i would say is you lack magical deffence... you will be able to stop.. waht 1 speel with your 3 die...

i cant remember what the heart stone does, but most 2000 point armies will be packing 6 power die and at leat 1 bound spell!

Slyracoon
12-08-2005, 11:09
It's a good list, but I've got a few things to add. First of all, your Highborn can't fire Hagbane Arrows from his Hunter's Talon and this combined with Zeb's comment makes me think it isn't really worth giving him those items. I think he would be better suited to dropping all his items for the Spear of Twilight and Oaken Armour, because that way he's got better protection and adds some extra punch to the Glade Riders' charge.

The Alter hero is one of my favourite builds for the Noble, but I usually favour a GW, the Helm and HoDA. I find this really means he can take on a whole unit himself, but it's a matter of preference. Just try out both configuarations and see which works best.

Usually I'd say two Spellsingers is vital in a 2000pt WE army to keep enemy magic off your back, but by the looks of things you don't have a lot of Forest Spirits so you aren't that vulnerable to magic. You should be okay with just one.

Other than that, it looks like a very solid list. Have fun with it!

librerian_samae
12-08-2005, 11:23
why cant the highborn combine his arrow and bow exactly :eyebrows: ?
I was under the impression that the only arrow that couldnt be combined was the HOD arrow.

I like the list, just thought I'd mention that if the mage is glamour weave he/she must be mounted on either a horse or a unicorn.

KingintheWoods
12-08-2005, 11:48
The hunters talon cannot be combined with any magical arrows (1st sentence of its item description, P.63 wood elf armies book.

Consider swapping the HUnters Talon with the Bow of Loren, this will enable him to fire 4 hagbane arrows per turn, great for killing any enemy characters that leave the protection of their units. And just as a reminder the highborn wont be able to shoot if the glade riders macrh, he isn't fast cvalary.

athamas
12-08-2005, 11:52
IMO the best combination is to give the alter kindren bow of loren, gives you more shots, then combine this with one of hte magical arrows, and you can go hero hunting, or with bodkins, armour hunting!

Xenageo
12-08-2005, 17:31
Well, it would appear I've been drawn into WFB once more. The new Wood Elves are just too tasty to pass up, what with my love for all things with pointy ears. This is just a list I threw together, hoping it will do well.

It's odd, as I'd experimented with High Elves, who have lots of cheap and cheerful magic, yet the Wood Elves... don't. Even their special stuff is expensive and hard to combine that well.

I don't even have names yet...

Heros

Highborn - 265 Pts
Stone of Rebirth
Hunter's Talon
Hagbane Arrows
Elf Steed

- hagbane and hunter's talon can't be combined, as previously stated. Also, the stone of rebirth only allows you _one_ 2+ ward save on your last wound, not an infinite amount. Better to go with the stone of the crystal mere or amaranthine brooch, or even oaken armour. Alternatively, a typical sniper-y role involves a bow of loren, arcane bodkins and amaranthine brooch.

Attached to Glade Riders

Spellsinger - 175 Pts
Glamourweave
Ranu's Heartstone

You need some dispel scrolls - i would give him two. Also, glamourweave is likely to hurt more than hinder as with it he is immune to psychology, and thus cannot flee.

Alter Noble - 156 Pts
Enchanted Shield
Helm of the Hunt

A great weapon is better than any of the magical weapons in the wood elf list, and much cheaper. It makes him a little less survivable, but if you're worried about that i'd go for the stone of the crystal mere + helm of the hunt + great weapon. (or, hail of doom arrow and helm of the hunt for pure damage.)

Noble - 142 Pts
Banner of Dwindling

I would drop the magic banner to give this guy some more protection -- annoyance of netlings for example.

Core

11 Dryads - 156 Pts
1 Branch Nymph

15 Glade Guard - 216 Pts
1 Lord's Bowman

Conventionally these are taken in 10's, and generally work better this way. However, an option to reform into ranks is nice, if expensive.

6 Glade Riders - 312 Pts
1 Horse Master

312 points for 6 GR? -- they're 24 points per model. I have no idea where you got 312 from. I would drop these down to 5 with no command (or just a musician), which leaves you with roughly 190~ points left with which to grab a unit of 6 wild riders with FC (which will be essential for flanking and general hammer roles)

Standard, Musician
1 Guardian

These are a little too small to be really useful. I'd take 16 of these and drop your glade guard down to 10.

Special

7 Wardancers - 165 Pts
1 Bladesinger

Rare

9 Waywatchers - 248 Pts
2ndWeapon, Longbow
1 Shadow Sentinel

10 waywatchers is a lot, and the champion is a little redunant when the unit hits on 2's anyway (and can move/shoot with no penalty). I would drop them down to five and either take two units or another unit of glade riders.

I've gone for a much more troop heavy list, but I've given my characters designed roles.

The Highborn is very much a character hunter, with the Hunter's Talon allowing him to snipe characters, ignoring normal shooting rules, and the Hagbane Arrows force models to take a Toughness test for each wound, they fail, they die, no saves allowed. Mounting him with the Glade Guard should give him some good protection (Not to mention the stone of rebirth).

He'll be made by placing the Waywatcher Noble's torso on the mounted Lord's legs.

The Alter Noble is a unit killer. With 5 Attacks, Movement and Initiative 9 and a 3+ save, a well timed strike between he and another unit (I'm thinking Wardancers or Eternal Guard) could spell doom for any unit he comes across. Alternatively, he can take and dish out challenges with a good chance of success.

The Spellweaver is, well, obviously a Spellweaver. I'll decide his role as I figure out what Spells he has...

The rest is pretty much based on aesthetics and what I intend on buying. I love the look of the Waywatchers and Eternal Guard, so they went in, I'm buying a box of Glade Guard tomorrow, and I already have the Dryads.

So... rip it to shreds. :D

Onto the "ripping it to shreds" part -- the eternal guard imo are less useful than more units of dryads, and a single unit of glade guard aren't going to do much alone. 2 of 10 would be optimum. It's also missing units of 8 dryads - these are woodelves strongest point, and i'd say at least 3 units of 8 were nigh on essential - dropping 4 + champion from your unit of 12 and 5 waywatchers could grab you these two more units (or at least, be very close to getting you them).

You need more hitty units - the wild rider unit you still have the points for helps with this, as would adding more dryad units. Another point with your list is that the EG and bsb don't really "fit" with everything else, which is very fast/skirmish-y and seems to revolve around guerilla tactics. It's also quite magic defense-lite, even with two scrolls added.

edit: my comments are in bold

Inquisitor Engel
12-08-2005, 17:32
The hunters talon cannot be combined with any magical arrows (1st sentence of its item description, P.63 wood elf armies book.

*Re-Reads* Oh... Damn. :( I'll go fixing this up then. :)

Consider swapping the HUnters Talon with the Bow of Loren, this will enable him to fire 4 hagbane arrows per turn, great for killing any enemy characters that leave the protection of their units.

Done and done.

And just as a reminder the highborn wont be able to shoot if the glade riders macrh, he isn't fast cvalary.

*Remembers this*

It's also missing units of 8 dryads - these are woodelves strongest point, and i'd say at least 3 units of 8 were nigh on essential - dropping 4 + champion from your unit of 12 and 5 waywatchers could grab you these two more units (or at least, be very close to getting you them).

I don't really want a Forest Spirit list, and having too many Dryads leans it too far in that direction for me. I have a thing for beings with pointy ears, not rough skin. ;)

Good as they are, I don't want to rely on a unit that a character on Dragon can destroy in a single turn.

Another point with your list is that the EG and bsb don't really "fit" with everything else, which is very fast/skirmish-y and seems to revolve around guerilla tactics. It's also quite magic defense-lite, even with two scrolls added.

I was thinking the same thing, but re-reading the list, it would appear WE don't need a BSB like other armies (Correct me if I'm wrong). So he's gone. The Eternal Guard should operate on the 'Refused Flank' idea, but switching them out for some Wild Riders might be a good idea.

I'll do some tweaking, perhaps to include some Wild Riders, although I'd rather save them for a larger game. What's the standard GT size for a WFB battle?

For now, I have some Glade Guard to buy. :)

redemptionist15
12-08-2005, 18:29
Looking at your list it looks ok, however for an elf army it is very character heavy, i would personally drop the noble.

I would also add some Scouts as well as perhaps some treekin, you don't want your expensive waywatchers march-blocking, but a relatively cheap (for elves :P) unit of scouts can do the same job. Treekin are very good at multi-tasking and would add something your opponent could chew on.

Just some thoughts.

How do you envisage the units working together, whats your overall tactical idea for the army?

KingintheWoods
12-08-2005, 22:46
Most GT's runs between at either 2000 or 2150 Pts.

Most people make a standard 2k take all comers tourny list, and if the tourny limit happens to be 2150 you can add an extra unit selected purely for 'fun' - be it models, or just because its something a bit different.

Inquisitor Engel
13-08-2005, 08:22
Looking at your list it looks ok, however for an elf army it is very character heavy, i would personally drop the noble.

I was actually thinking about dropping the Highborn, upping the Noble to Highborn and giving something fun like Daith's Reaper or perhaps Oaken Armour. Of course that means the Spellweaver gets to be general...

Decisions, decisions....

I would also add some Scouts as well as perhaps some treekin, you don't want your expensive waywatchers march-blocking, but a relatively cheap (for elves :P) unit of scouts can do the same job. Treekin are very good at multi-tasking and would add something your opponent could chew on.

I'm thinking about it. With the trouble I'm having painting my Dryads (see thread in P&T I might drop them for the time being anyway... And the Scout type cloaks do look really cool, but can't rank up for crap. :p

How do you envisage the units working together, whats your overall tactical idea for the army?

Once I collect 1000 pts worth of models, I'll figure that one out. ;) I've no idea how the army even works at this point. The part about 'overlapping leaves' caught my eye, and the ability to move and fire at regular range chances is handy indeed for the Glade Guard.

Kardon
15-08-2005, 21:48
iirc xhw and magic weapon cant be combined(?) anyway, your alter nobel should rather get either x hw or great weapon(depending on the army u are fighting agains, although in a tourney x hw should do the trick). the combo ive used is glamourweave and helm of the hunt. exelent to take out shooty warmachines or pesky mages that thinks wandering around alone is usefull. why u have given him the enchanted shield i cant understand. better with some ward then armour vs shooting. since he most likely is going on warmachine and mage hunting anyway. i used him to take out a lvl 4 mage and 2x rbts( i didnt say my oponent was clever but...) 5-6 waywatchers works nice.and elfish bsb on foot with a magical banner. he will most likely be dead in 1-2 rounds of combat. 8 dryads works better than 11. beef the eteral guards up to 16-20 unit size.

oh and take the highborn of that horse. he'll do more damage on foot with bow of loren and some kind of arrows, mage killing is for the alter nobel to do.

Crube
15-08-2005, 22:11
It's always tricky with new armies...

However, personal thoughts...

I dont bother with a BSB in a 2K list - too many points

Waywatchers - either too many, or drop them altogether, get a small unit of scouts and use the spare points elsewhere - eg Glade Guard or dryads

Eternal guard are too small - in a unit of 10m, they dont even give you + 2 rank bonus. I try for a unit of 20

I'm not convinced by the General being with the Glade Riders. Personally, I prefer him being attached to a foot unit. His Ld is generally n=much more useful in the main battle line, as is his combat prowess...

Cole
15-08-2005, 22:33
Just a small recommendation. If you're going to take the Hunter's Talon you might as well take the Pageant of Shrikes thing as well. Despite being able to target characters or whatever inside units you only get one shot with the Hunter's Talon and that's not going to do much (given armor and wounds). The Pageant will let give you an extra chance to do some damage. If you're lucky you'll be able to knock out the average wizard in one turn.

Everence
15-08-2005, 23:58
6 Glade Riders - 312 Pts
1 Horse Master

312 points for 6 GR? -- they're 24 points per model. I have no idea where you got 312 from. I would drop these down to 5 with no command (or just a musician), which leaves you with roughly 190~ points left with which to grab a unit of 6 wild riders with FC (which will be essential for flanking and general hammer roles)

This would be a bug from Army Builder. Apparently the Standard Bearer costs 90pts to field instead :wtf: .

datalink7
17-08-2005, 11:26
Please note that I have no experience at all with playing Wood Elves, and no experience playing against the new ones. However I've been playing Warhammer for 7 years and am just about to start Wood Elves myself.

Heros

Highborn - 265 Pts
Stone of Rebirth
Hunter's Talon
Hagbane Arrows
Elf Steed

I really like the Bow of Loren/Arcane Bodkins combination. Also, stone of rebirth I would replace with something that protects all the time, not just the last wound.

Attached to Glade Riders

Spellsinger - 175 Pts
Glamourweave
Ranu's Heartstone

In my opinion, taking one level 2 wizard in a 2000 point game is useless. At one level 2 instead of a level 1, you are paying those extra points for 1 extra power dice (no extra dispell dice). You are just about as easy to stop from casting spells with 4 as opposed to 3 power dice. If you don't want to go with 2 level 2's, I'd just drop this down to a level 1 scroll caddy.

Alter Noble - 156 Pts
Enchanted Shield
Helm of the Hunt

As mentioned before, great weapon is where it is at. Also, I noticed it says "2nd weapon." Did you add an additional hand weapon or is this an army builder error? If you added it, you can drop it to save points.

Noble - 142 Pts
Banner of Dwindling

I'd go ahead and make this another hitty noble to make sure the Eternal Guard wins combat in the first place

Core

11 Dryads - 156 Pts
1 Branch Nymph

Good

15 Glade Guard - 216 Pts
1 Lord's Bowman

As previously mentioned, I'd drop this down to 10 with no command or maybe just a musician.

6 Glade Riders - 312 Pts
1 Horse Master

While the standard and champion makes them more hitty, I prefere my fast cav to just be 5 with a musician. They are there to harrass more than do actual damage. Of course this is what I do with Dark Elves so it might not apply as much with Wood Elves

Standard, Musician
1 Guardian

Needs to be more. I'd try to get this up to 16 at a minimum, though 20 would be nice (these numbers can be with characters added in, so 15 and 19)

Special

7 Wardancers - 165 Pts
1 Bladesinger

Good

Rare

9 Waywatchers - 248 Pts
2ndWeapon, Longbow
1 Shadow Sentinel

Drop these to groups of 5, or even drop half (have one group of 5) and get another 5 glade riders