PDA

View Full Version : Orcs and gobos 1st timer, help required

eyeolas
06-06-2007, 19:13
ok, I want a sturdy 1500 point list for OnGs that incorperates both of the green wonders, and a bunch of their little red wonders.

I was thinking something like:

Orc boss
Gobo boss on giant squig
gobo boss on foot
20 savage orcs (compleatly basic unit so they are only 120 pts, which is a steel)
20 big un orcs (will have addit choppas)
30 gobos (fully tricked out, comand, fanatics, speers nd shields, nets)
30 gobos (as above)
20 archer gobos
10 spiders
2 orc chariots
2 speer chukas
squigs (please tell me which will work best with this list)
doom driver

what sort of points is this? will it do well? what would you change?

EDIT: I was also thinking of an all gobo list, something like:

gobo on squig
gobo on spider
gobo on foot
lots of gobos!! with pleanty of fanatics, lots of speers and archers. All will be 25 or 30 strong
10 spiders
10 wolves
2 speer chukas
rock lobba
squig unit (duno which either)
giant or 2 pumpwaggons (which is better?)

thanks in advance

Ninth Eagle
07-06-2007, 04:40
I'm not that experienced with O&G myself, having only recently started collecting them myself, however i would personally split the spider riders into 2 units, goblin archers aren't really worth it, drop the big'uns down to normal orcs and then buy another unit of orc boys, not too sure on the savage orcs, a little unreliable (even for orcs), but as i said I'm inexperienced with O&G myself and they may work out fine for you.

hoped that help

warlord hack'a
07-06-2007, 08:18
I love savage orcs, but do give them spears, giving you 4 attacks per front row model if soneone charges you, that hurts..

Svg orcs are more reliable than normal orcs: okay they are frenzied and have to charge anything within 8 ", but what self respecting orc would not charge anything within 8 inch? And for the rest they are more reliable: you never have to take a panic test as long as they are frenzied and for a unit with ld 7 that is a good thing!

drop the command on both gobbo units, giving them a banner is ginving the enemy a bigger chance to win the 100 vp for 'whos got the most banners' though in version 6 this was even worse as the enemy got 100 points per banner..

give all your characters a mount: they can be stuck in any normal infantry unit and gain extra protection, extra mobility and extra attacks, so i see no reason not to do this unless you want to give them GW or a magic weapon that only works when on foot.

I have no experience with the giant squig so that's up to you
split the spiderriders into two units and give them spears..

do not give the gobbo units spears: okay you might get extra attacks when charged but ws2 S3 attacks do not really cut it.. The trick with gobbo's is not to hit the enemy, but to prevent the enemy from hitting you.. shields and hand weapon give you an extra +1 on your armour save which reduces casualties. And it frees up the points from the spears to get spears from the savages, who will benefit much mroe from them..

Also, you have NO magic defence, so drop a gobbo big boss and get a shaman with a dispel scroll or two, you will undoubtedly sooner or later want to stop a spell..

as for the unit of squigs, I think squig hoppers are great, I just often do not have the special slot to spare to field them.. But a unit that can charge even hidden enemies deep inside a forest has got to be worth something..

good luck to you and remember: gobbo's are there to die, orcs are there to do the killing!

Aldoran
07-06-2007, 08:22
Give shilds or 2nd handweapon to your sOrks.
You have 4 special choises, while under 2k points you are allowed only 3, so drop one chariot.

Squigs are a matter of taste, i prefer hoppers.
Divide your spiders into two units
Some magic defence would be useful too.

eyeolas
07-06-2007, 16:15
Actually, I have seen great things happen with a unit of gobos charging with speers. With 3 ranks, standard, outnumber, musician and then kills, I have a good chance to win a combat, espeshaly with 11 attacks, even if they arent b=very good. And if I manage to break them then they will be fleeing into my fanatics which will do some more damage.

I'll see which of the squigs I like better

I thought you could take 2 chariots for one speshal choice? If not then I'll drop one.

Savage orcs are going to have speers

The second big boss was just because I would get him in the blister, but I will take him out for a shaman. Which do you think is better, gobo or orc?

Avian
07-06-2007, 16:21
Actually, I have seen great things happen with a unit of gobos charging with speers. With 3 ranks, standard, outnumber, musician and then kills, I have a good chance to win a combat, espeshaly with 11 attacks, even if they arent b=very good.
Gobbo units with spears who charge do not get 11 attacks unless you deploy them a minimum of 10 models wide. :p

thought you could take 2 chariots for one speshal choice?
Not in this edition.

I will take him out for a shaman. Which do you think is better, gobo or orc?
Does not really make a lot of difference so you can take whichever you like. Little Waaagh! is more variable in quality than Big Waaagh! spells, though a couple of them are very nice.

More: Orcs & Goblins Tactics page (http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/subpage.php?s=index_greenskin_tactics)

Heretic Burner
08-06-2007, 00:11
The second big boss was just because I would get him in the blister, but I will take him out for a shaman. Which do you think is better, gobo or orc?

The only magic an O&G player needs to worry about taking is a BSB with the totem. The O&G magic phase is absolutely dreadful, easily the worst in the game and should be avoided at all cost. Now if you are talking about a single scroll caddy well there isn't much difference between the two. Neither is going to get many spells off as a lone level 1 though the goblin scroll caddy is cheaper.

Still, at 1500 points and no lord level wizards in play you are likely better off with the BSB and keeping another big boss.

waaagh!grimgor
09-06-2007, 02:11
take out gobo on giant squig, he wont be as effective if he's not a warboss gobo, make him some type of shamen on a boar with the skull wand, givin him a 5+ armour save, make him level 2, take out 1 30man gobo unit, get some black orcs, take out a chariot to make rooom, use orc archers, thier range is longer, pretty well though, if you can get 2000pts, re-add the night gobo on the squig, and give him the sneaky skewer, the spiteful shield, the amulet of protectyness, and the tricksy trinket, i almost beat the white dwarf with him, and at that i beat Archaon with him.

eyeolas
09-06-2007, 09:12
With the BSB, do you mean the effegy of mork? because that does make alot of sence.

I love my gobo boss, he is going to be fitted out for suicide kamikaze action, and with a big handfull of attacks he can do it prety well.

I am probably going to scrap the basic orcs and make them feral or gobos. I want a sort of mountain OnG list, so cave goblins and feral orcs fits that bill, so I was thinking:

kamikaze gobo boss on squig
feral orc boss on boar
feral orc BSB with effigy of mork
feral orc big uns with speers
50:50 ratio of night goblins with speers and feral orcs with speers
feral orc boar boyz
squig hoppers
rock lobba
doom driver

more attacks with the orcs and the BSB for some anti magic-ness

Franco
09-06-2007, 12:56
With the BSB, do you mean the effegy of mork? because that does make alot of sence.

I love my gobo boss, he is going to be fitted out for suicide kamikaze action, and with a big handfull of attacks he can do it prety well.

I am probably going to scrap the basic orcs and make them feral or gobos. I want a sort of mountain OnG list, so cave goblins and feral orcs fits that bill, so I was thinking:

kamikaze gobo boss on squig
feral orc boss on boar
feral orc BSB with effigy of mork
feral orc big uns with speers
50:50 ratio of night goblins with speers and feral orcs with speers
feral orc boar boyz
squig hoppers
rock lobba
doom driver

more attacks with the orcs and the BSB for some anti magic-ness

Take a night gobbo shaman, lv 2. They come in handy all the time. Orc chariot is good, and savage orcs!!!

warlord hack'a
09-06-2007, 18:27
if you want a kamikaze gobbo put him on a wolf, give him the thing that does D6 wounds when the gobbo is killed, a 5pt dagger that gives + on strength and perhaps the triksy trinket (if these are all allowed simlutaneously), that will do the trick..

do NOT get black orcs in favor of a chariot, chariots rock! they are my favorite unit after svg orcs and fanatics.

eyeolas
10-06-2007, 13:51
The gobo boss IS on squig (sorry, I just love the converting opportunities) and he is supposed to be very cheep. He will be survivable enough to last a few turns of archers and week shooting, but will be to few points to get shot at by bigger stuff like cannons etc. I don't have the OnG book yet (next thing on my list) but I know I want the 'explodes when he dies' item. He is just a shock unit, along with the spiders and other squigs (and the big savage boar boyz!).

Are orc bullies worth it for rock lobbas or doom drivers?

warlord hack'a
10-06-2007, 19:16
if you have the points to spare yes. WHy:

1) with the orc in the unit the warmachines do not have to check for fleeing gobbo units that go past them or get destroyed nearby etc.
2) ld 7 is better than 6
3) an orc with choppa is a bit better versus fast cav although you will still be screwed
4) more crew so more shots needed to make the machine stop working.

Avian
11-06-2007, 10:37
Are orc bullies worth it for rock lobbas or doom drivers?
They are okay on rock lobbers and illegal on doom divers. ;)

eyeolas
11-06-2007, 21:28
Thanks for the responses. I posted 3 lists in the list section with a poll, so comment on them there and tell me which is best please