PDA

View Full Version : Is Ambush Broken?

kris.sherriff
07-06-2007, 14:23
Hi have just started a campaign and after a bad start managed to pull it back to 3-2 to me. I then decided to spend a campaign point to select Ambush and chose a small game.
So for my 100 points I get 8 helblades opponent gets 75 points so took three thunderbolts and sets up within 12 inches of the center of the table. I then look at where he has set up and deploy on any table edge.

In turn one I shot down two of his three thunderbolts turn two he has to disengage. I can't see this coming out any other way, I even thought about how it would affect different races and I struggle to find a way for the defender to win this mission.

So what are your views, have you played it, did you win as the defenders and I am talking rubbish, or is it horribly unbalanced?

okri_the_blue
08-06-2007, 01:12
our gameing groupe has found any mission in which one force has more point's then the other as extreamly hard for the side with less point's to win, i think the side with more point's has won every one of them. so yes it can be well worthwhile picking missions and or rolling as the attacker.

Victor Romeo
01-07-2007, 17:44
Try playing the mission with the ambusher having 75% of the points of the defender. This makes a lot more sense. The ambusher has an early advantage but as the game progresses this is cancelled by the greater numbers of defenders.

As for the other misions with points disparities; the defender knows where the attcker is trying to get to. this does make his job a lot easier.

okri_the_blue
02-07-2007, 09:58
i've always thought having the initative was a bad thing. something the attacker "wins" automatically in the first 3 turns. The position is an edge for the attacker but is recoverable,the point's difference is the the big thing though, i'm yet to play a game where the side with less point's has not been completly smashed.

Slekith
02-07-2007, 11:11
Maybe those scenarios where two unbalanced forces fight is not intended to be winned or lost but rather test the player with less point against the odds.

orangesm
02-07-2007, 14:06
I think this may require a Q&A - I agree with Victor here - it does not seem right that the attacker out guns the defender. I suppose the defender could try and set up a wagon wheel - but I dunno if that would help much.

mageboltrat
02-07-2007, 15:05
Couldn't you just start high and power dive for the first few turns?

orangesm
02-07-2007, 16:17
You could, especially against a lower thrust enemy. Really the defender has to figure out some way to divide the attacker into smaller groups get a few kills and then leave as soon as practical. I would say any defending aircraft that become seriously damaged need to try and disengage immediately. It is an ambush afterall - the point for the defender is to get out as fast as possible.

Ambush comes up once when two offensive squadrons go at it.

The attacker may mass up his forces in which case the defender will have to try and break them up some how (the hard part) and then go after a group - get some kills expending as much ammo as possible or getting clipped and then head for home. The defenders goal is to lose fewer aircraft/points of aircraft to being shot down than the defender and keep the VP close enough so that he can disengage at a time of his choosing - giving the attacker the win. If the attacker loses say 50 points of aircraft (defender gets 50 VP), but the attacker managed to clip a bunch of the defending aircraft (attacker gets 60 VP), but not kill the defender wins in my opinion - the attacker now has to decide whether or not to replace their loses using the campaign point they earned or press on without reinforcements.

kris.sherriff
06-07-2007, 13:42
Couldn't you just start high and power dive for the first few turns?

Wouldn't work as the deffender sets up first and then you get to look at where he has set up and set your stuff up.

orangesm
06-07-2007, 15:07
So the hardest part is that the Nightwing/Hell Blade are fast enough to get within range one turn 1 probably in a tailing position if you run straight.

I guess the best strategy would be for the defender to turn into the attacker (7/8) right away. Try and get any kills they can, attempting to survive and then run for the table edge, survival is probably more important than victory in this case.

Kris.sherriff - you are playing Chaos and your opponent is playing Imperial. Best he can do is turn into you preferably gaining altitude to head up to 9 to rocket boost to get off the table. For you in this situation you could send a few to try and get a kill while the rest could run.