PDA

View Full Version : General and battle standard bearer

T10
07-06-2007, 16:25
I notice that there is no standard rule denying the battle standard bearer the position of the army general. A brief check on a few army book reveal that they specifically state that the battle standard bearer may not be the general (Dwarfs, Wood Elves, Brettonia) or limit the position of general to models that cannot take the battle standard (Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts).

However, the Skaven army book and the Hordes of Chaos army books seem to place no such specific limitation on the Battle Standard.

Well. I never.

-T10

theunwantedbeing
07-06-2007, 17:08
Interesting......
The book does state that the battle standard is usually somebody other than the general.
Emphasis on usually.

Seems I can take an aspiring champion as my only character,or take him as a battle standard bearer in a beasts of chaos army :P

That'll cause my opponents some confusion lol

T10
07-06-2007, 19:02
A Necrarch Vampire Thrall is eligible to act as the army general with the correct blood line power, and also appears to be eligible to carry the army battle standard.

I'm not entirely sure of the tactical value of this "easter egg". It makes for interesting "budget armies", though...

-T10

DeathlessDraich
07-06-2007, 19:03
Skaven FAQ states that the BSB rule omission is an error.

Nell2ThaIzzay
07-06-2007, 19:40
I would imagine that the BSB is intended to NOT be the general, since the text on BSB usually says "One model may carry the general's battle standard"

Arhalien
07-06-2007, 19:42
Hmm, that's interesting with High Elves though; I@C means that anyone can be the general, presumably even the BSB.

DeathlessDraich
07-06-2007, 19:44
High Elves is a different kettle of fish because of Intrigue at Court.
There is an FAQ on this as well. IIRC the BSB model is not involved in Intrigue but I may be wrong.

Arhalien
07-06-2007, 19:50
Hmm, I may need to find that. Thanks Draich

Atrahasis
07-06-2007, 19:56
The HE BSB is in no way excluded from intrigue at court, and can be the general. If you really wanted to, you could have a HE army with a BSB as the only character, but that model would be T3 W2 and worth 400+ Victory points.

T10
07-06-2007, 20:27
But it says he only can be the general if he is selected randomly, and makes no provision for having a single character.

If you have but a single character (i.e. the Battle Standard) then you "randomly select" that character to be the general on a roll of 1. On a roll of 2-6 you are required to abide by the normal rules and thus you can't "chose" the battle standard bearer to be your general.

It's silly, I think, because you seem to be allowed to put yourself the position, that at the start of the battle you suddenly cannot field a legal army.

:P

-T10

Festus
07-06-2007, 20:40
Hi

Hordes of Chaos: p.59: *may not be the Army General* ...

What do you mean? :)

Festus

Atrahasis
07-06-2007, 20:43
Hi

Hordes of Chaos: p.59: *may not be the Army General if any other type of character is present* ...

What do you mean? :)

Fixed the quotation for you.

ReveredChaplainDrake
07-06-2007, 22:08
I notice that there is no standard rule denying the battle standard bearer the position of the army general. A brief check on a few army book reveal that they specifically state that the battle standard bearer may not be the general (Dwarfs, Wood Elves, Brettonia) or limit the position of general to models that cannot take the battle standard (Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts).

However, the Skaven army book and the Hordes of Chaos army books seem to place no such specific limitation on the Battle Standard.

Well. I never.

-T10

The rulebook simply states that BSBs tend not to be Generals. However, there are some cases (at least one I know of) where this is not the case. The example I'm thinking of where this is not the case is the quintessential Slann w/ Army Standard. However, this is merely a Slann thing, as Scar-Vets cannot be both be BSBs and Generals (and Oldbloods cannot be BSBs at all), nor can Skink Heroes in a Southlands list. Those are all the BSBs I know of though.

Vogon
07-06-2007, 23:40
There are also a few special characters who are both General and BSB Gorbad for one.

Cheers

Vogon

Festus
08-06-2007, 15:36
Hi

Fixed the quotation for you.
My HoC book has two entries, following two distinct bullet points, in the sidebar on p.59.

First about the BSB, in 4 paragraphs. The second of those say that the BSB may not be the Army General, even if he has the highest Ld in the Army.

After those 4 paragraphs, there is another bullet point with the sentence you just quoted in English.

I don't know about you, but my German HoC Book certainly disallows the BSB from being General very explicitly.

Festus

Atrahasis
08-06-2007, 15:47
I don't know about you, but my German HoC Book certainly disallows the BSB from being General very explicitly.The English book carries no such restriction.