PDA

View Full Version : Making the dreaded 1000 point TK list

Caligula
07-06-2007, 16:42
Hey again all, I hope nobody's missed me too much as I haven't posted for a while;)

As the title of this thread states, I'm looking at making a 1000 point Tomb Kings army to start me off. I know, I know....Tomb Kings are rather...limited at 1000 points, and from what I've gathered most folks on here would advise against playing them at such a small points level. Pah! I choose to ignore such nay-saying, and I'm going for it.

So, that said, what do you more veteran TK players think is absolutely vital in a 1000 point army? I'm not expecting my small TK force to be almighty(...yet), but I'm looking to at least put up a reasonable fight until the army is grown a little.

So, please share with me your ideas on how to make a servicable 1000 point TK army. Thanks.

Caligula
07-06-2007, 16:57
Perhaps to get the ball rolling and whatnot, I'll share my current idea for a decent little 1000 point army.

Tomb Prince-
Great Weapon
Light Armour
Shield
Chariot
Golden Eye of Rah-Nutt
Chariot of Fire
@203pts.

Liche Priest-
Cloak of the Dunes
Neferra's Plaques of Mighty Incantations
@165pts.

20 Skeleton Warriors-
Shields
Light Armour
Standard Bearer
@190pts.

12 Skeleton Warriors
@96pts.

6 Skeleton Heavy Horsemen
@96pts.

3 Chariots-
Standard Bearer
Banner of the Undying Legion
@165pts.

Tomb Scorpion
@85pts.

TOTAL-1000pts.

Thoughts?

Skyweir
07-06-2007, 17:09
I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I did play with 1000 pts Tomb Kings for some time, and though it is a bit limited, it is very possible to win with it.

Your list looks nice, though I would perhaps drop the Heavy Horse for more archers (warriors with bows). Archers are more effective in small games, and the Tomb King's ones are deceptively usefull.
The Heavy Horsemen however, has never been very good for me. But mileage may vary.

One other thing to. The Golden Eye is nice, but I find that most cannons or other warmachines will bring the chariot down regardless of immunity to the "one hit kills" str7 rule. If you fear cannons and plan on putting you Prince in a chariot unit, you might consider swapping the banner of the chariots for the Mirage Standard and leaving the Golden Eye behind. That will protect the entire unit with a wardsave that will essentialy be as good as what you get from the Eye.

Of course, if you fear strength 7 in close combat, that is another matter entirely.

Caligula
07-06-2007, 17:16
Great, thanks for the response, Skyweir!

I'm a little unsure about even having my Tomb Prince on a chariot. Would it perhaps be wiser to have him on foot?

rinto_tinto
07-06-2007, 18:46
Put your Tomb Prince on foot, on a chariot he will be a bit of a 1 hit wonder (from the impact hits) which is never good for a general, its one of those only-do-this-in-2000-points-or-more things (sorry) as he can be useful in a chariot but he will be a flimsy general.

greendan
07-06-2007, 21:56
try something like this...maybe...

tomb prince 108pts
+great weapon, hand weapon, light armour & shield

liche priest 140pts
+dispel scroll or hieratic jar

skeleton warriors (20) 190pts
+hand weapon, light armour & shield
standard bearer

skeleton archers (20) 160pts
+bows

chariots (3) 120pts
chariots (3) 120pts

carrion (3) 72pts

screaming skull catapult 90pts

i like to try and keep characters cheap but effective which i think a prince is with minimum upgrades.
chariots are good anyway but in smaller games a combined charge with them can be devastating.
two largish blocks of fear causing infantry is better than one and the archers can pump out up to 40 shots a turn (have the prince join them to save the priest incantation for useful things)
carrion for warmachine killing and march blocking.
and the catapult because its not too shabby.
its a pretty much all round army i guess.
hope that helps. :chrome:

Be Afraid
07-06-2007, 22:42
i would drop the archers to 2 units of 10

Nickn
08-06-2007, 00:10
if this helps heres my list

Priest Cloak of the dunes hieratic jar 160

liche priest despell scroll 140

tomb prince GW 104

19 skeleton warriors standerd 162

10 archer 80