PDA

View Full Version : Two 2000 Point Dwarf Armies: One Anvil, One Not

That Guy
08-06-2007, 06:28
I've had Dwarfs on the mind recently and I was thinking about how feasible an army with/without the Anvil would be. So I've come up with two lists. The presence of the Anvil makes them quite different.

List 1:

Dwarf Lord [226]
Gromril Armor, Shield Bearers, Rune of Stone, Master Rune of Krag the Grimm, Rune of Snorri Spangelhelm, great weapon

Thane [117]
Gromril Armor, shiled, Rune of Cleaving, Rune of Fury, Rune of Stone

Thane [140]
Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Cleaving, Battle Standard

24 Warriors [241]
Hand weapon, shield, full command

24 Warriors [241]

23 Warriors [232]

10 Thunderers [140]

15 Slayers [165]

1 Cannon [125]
Rune of Forging

1 Grudge Thrower [105]
Rune of Penetrating

1 Organ Gun [120]

1 Gyrocopter [140]

Total: [1992]
Dispell Dice: 4

Here the idea is that I use my firepower and Slayers to make it a very bad idea to come down the flanks, hopefully funneling my opponant into my generously sized infantry blocks, complete with decent (thought not overpowering) characters. Only 4 DD here. I just didn't see anything I would want to take out in favor of a Runesmith.

List 2:

Runelord [323]
Anvil of Doom, shield, Rune of Stone

Thane [117]

Thane [140]
Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Cleaving, Battle Standard

24 Warriors [241]

24 Warriors [241]

10 Thunderers [140]

10 Slayers [143]
Musician, Standard, Giant slayer

10 Miners [160]
Full Command, Steam Drill

1 Cannon [125]
Rune of Forging

1 Grudge Thrower [105]
Rune of Penetrating

1 Gyrocopter [140]

1 Organ Gun [120]

Total: 1995
Dispell Dice: 7

This list is definately more mobile. The Miners are there because paired with the Anvil they're irresistable to me. I had to ditch one of the big blocks of infantry, which I'm not too happy about, but I can live with it. The tactics will be largely the same with this list, but the Miners and the Anvil add an extra element of flexibility, and I can't take the charge as well since I'm down one really strong character and one really strong infantry block. A problem I see with both armies is that it's all anvil and no hammer. But it's Dwarfs, so I guess what do you expect? This list is definately a worse Anvil: Down one big block and lacking the Leadership 10.

So what do you all think? Are both armies horribly flawed? Is one idea significantly better than the other? I'm open to all ideas.

EndlessBug
08-06-2007, 15:40
I'd go for list 1 personally, although it's seriously lacking the Dispel dice as you've said.

a few changes I'd make to it are:

Drop:
Thane [117]
1 Warrior [9] (your lord takes up 2 points anyway so it'll still look neat and tidy)
3 Slayers [33] (2 ranks of 6 should be fine)
+8 points you have left over
(giving you 167 points)

With these points take:
Runesmith (147)
gromil armour, shield, MRo Balance, Ro Spellbreaking

shields on the thunderers

the +1 WS rune for your BSB (most light infantry hit him on 5's, other heroes usually on 4's)

TheDarkArg
08-06-2007, 16:46
I'm going to second what EndlessBug said regarding a lack of anti-magic power in list one. The runesmith w/MRoBalance is almost essential since it gives you an effective 7 dice (6 in your pool and one less in theirs).

I'd disagree with giving the BSB a +1WS rune, there are just too many WS4 basic troops running around for that to be very useful. Or at least there are in my gaming group. I'd personally put the Ro Snorri on his weapon rather than cleaving, because then you'll be hitting practically any non-character on 2s.

Slayers typically work best in 2 ranks, so you can either take 10 or 12 and save some points. They are a speed bump and flank holder, you're not taking them to win with CR.

Once you start playing with the list I would also reccomend trying out the rune of accuracy on your grudge thrower. Same points, but helps you hit more often with it rather than uping the strength. But thats a matter of personal preference and at no pts difference you can swap back and forth at whim.

I'd also consider upgrading one of your units of warriors to a unit of longbeards. The extra ws and str can be exceptionally helpful, hitting most infantry on 3's, wounding on 3's (or 4s vs orcs/chaos) and the extra -1 sv mod. You'd probably need to cut down on the size of some of your units to scrap up the extra points, but it would make for a much harder front line unit.