PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a Talabheim warband

FeetOfClay
08-06-2007, 10:59
This is my Talabheim (using Reikland mercenaries rules). I have a bit of background for them, ill write it later, when I have more time:

Captain (60)
Dagger (0)
Sword (10)
Buckler (5)
Bow (10)
Helmet (10)

Champion (35)
Dagger (0)
2-Handed Weapon (15)
Bow (10)

Champion (35)
Dagger (0)
Axe (5)
Hammer (3)
Bow (10)

Youngblood (15)
Dagger (0)
Hammer (3)
Sword (10)
Bow (10)

Youngblood (15)
Dagger (0)
Sword (10)
Buckler (5)
Bow (10)

4 Marksmen (100)
4 Daggers (0)
4 Crossbows (100)
4 Maces (12)

Total (498)

I would appreciate any advice or tactics anyone has to offer.

Deng Ham
08-06-2007, 11:30
I'd do two things with that list.

1: Divide the marksmen into groups of only one model. Thus you have a bigger chance og getting "that boy got talent". And let's face it. You want as many heros as you can get. More dice on exploration and so on.

2: Cut down on equipment. Henchmen don't need more than a daggar and an axe. At it'll give you cash to get more wariors. After all, more warriros = more attcks and bigger chance of wining combat.

As for shooting, I'd give it to heros. So that they can stay hidden and dont get killed.

FeetOfClay
08-06-2007, 12:02
Is it really worth giving expensive xbows to youngbloods and champions?

Deng Ham
08-06-2007, 12:32
I woud not have xbows in the beginning. If you can afford it. And still get the total of 15 warriors in your warband. Then I by missile weapon and give it to the captian, and champions.

FeetOfClay
08-06-2007, 16:49
Ok, cheers. How about this:
TOTAL 499

Captain (60)
Dagger (0)
Axe (5)

Champion (35)
Dagger (0)
Axe (5)

Champion (35)
Dagger (0)
Hammer (3)

Youngblood (15)
Dagger (0)
Club (3)

Youngblood (15)
Dagger (0)
Hammer (3)

5 Individual Warrior s (125)
Daggers (0)
Daggers (10)

5 individual Marksmen (125)
Daggers (0)
Daggers (10)
Bows (50)

FeetOfClay
15-06-2007, 14:21
I guess I'll just stick with my first one, then.

Fastforward rlz
16-06-2007, 07:13
I like the first one better. For me I play more true to the fluff. If my hero goes down in a swirling mele it's better than him living while hidding every game. Play the way you want to play, It's not always about winning

FeetOfClay
18-06-2007, 07:45
I have to say I agree, Fastforward

FeetOfClay
18-06-2007, 17:14
Oh, and here's (most of) the background that I promised a while ago:

Self imposed Captain Josef was a sergeant in a unit of Talabheim halberdiers when they went with the army on a campaign in Lustria. Unfortunately, the commanders underestimated the difficulty of obtaining any precious artifacts from the jungle, and the strength of their guardians. Although the campaign was a success, and many of the soldiers who survived left with gold and gems, the army suffered enormous casualties, leaving some units with as few as only 1 or 2 men left in them. Rather than slowly rebuild these units, filling them with unskilled conscripts, they were disbanded, with the now ex-soldiers gifted with a small portion of the gold captured from the campaign to help them get by.
The now civilian Josef squandered a good portion of his newfound wealth on alcohol, women and gambling, in a drunken spree around the streets of Talabheim. When he finally came to his senses, he had little over 500 gold crowns left, and no more beer. When he was fixing the latter, in one of the many taverns on the outskirts of Talabheim, a very wealthy looking, but also strangely familiar, man walked through the door. Only when the man sat down next to him and greeted him like an old friend did Josef recognize the stranger, it was an old friend from the army, Niko, a skilled, but very arrogant, young halberdier who served under him, and one of only 4 living members of their unit. He told Josef how he was hired as a mercenary in a warband heading for Mordheim, in the North-East. He told of how he quickly rose in the ranks of the band, helped by his skill, and the untimely demise of their leader at the hands of a skaven assassin.
After his friend had left, Josef prepared to leave for Mordheim, keeping about 500 gold Crowns to hire as many of his old army buddies as he could.

Captain Josef
Champion (I've got nothing yet for him)
Champion Otto
A Middenheimer who found his way into, and became a sergeant of, the famous pikemen unit, the Wall of Blades. He is a devout worshipper of Ulric, and as such prefers to use large hammers, and is rarely seen without his wolfskin cape or lucky wolfs head charm.
Youngblood Stefan
The son of Otto, he is almost a polar opposite of his father. Where is father is a large, gruff, devoutly religious man, his son is a slight, intellectual boy, and as close to an atheist as possible in a world of active gods. His father brought him to Mordheim to teach him to fight, and to his delight, Stefan has found a great enjoyment for it.
Youngblood Lars
Was the charismatic and much loved Major of Josef’s section of the campaigning army, he was brought low by a chameleon skinks poisoned dart, that left him in a fevered coma for weeks. Although he has survived the worst of the poison, it has left him as a mere shadow of his former self. He is now a paranoid, jittery wreck of a man, trying to regain his former glory in Mordheim.
Marksmen

Catferret
19-06-2007, 00:59
Nice work on that background FeetofClay. Looks like you have really put some thought into it. Nice to see the Youngblood profile representing something other than an inexperienced kid. Good touch.

Fastforward rlz
19-06-2007, 16:57
Yeah that sounds very good. At first it seemed like you were going to do a lustria campaign but it worked out nicely.

FeetOfClay
21-06-2007, 18:52
Thanks, but quite alot of it was just spur of the moment, like Major Lars.
Oh, and BTW, how do you think up names for your characters?

Khorghan
15-07-2007, 01:36
Background sounds good