PDA

View Full Version : the campaigns - fixed?

elmak the fallen angel
08-06-2007, 11:11
in every campaign the 'good guys' always win
am i the only one that thinks this is rigged?

Cherubael
08-06-2007, 11:17
Before you start making accusation of rigging, consider how many Space Marine players there are than any other 40k army. In the campaigns, 'Evil' is already outnumbered.

Although i will grant you that i heard rumours of the Armageddon campaign being fixed, although this was apparently due to staff members not being able to cope with the amount of results and just made them up instead.

Iracundus
08-06-2007, 12:15
Chaos won Eye of Terror campaign. So much for "every campaign"

Aegius
08-06-2007, 12:19
I will agree with chrubael here. Think of how many marine players there are out there. The last campaign was mainly decided by victories, not defeats, with the sheer amount of marine on marine games out there, it's a bit of a no brainer who was going to win. Fixing campaigns takes too much time and effort that just isn't worth it.

Varath- Lord Impaler
08-06-2007, 13:09
Alright, 13th Black Crusade. Chaos Wins, The eye of Terror expands and eats up numerous space marine and Imperial Guard Homeworlds. The Chaos legions then move forward, take Mars, then Terra and keep the Emperors body alive and chained.

Because the Warp is pure energy, the Emperor lievs on, but he cannot move, cannot speak. All he has to speak to are daemons.

Now, Warhammer 40k has ended. Please send back your armies to GW they will send you a small coupon in return.

Thank you for playing.

*** Perhaps Rigging the campaign results is a good thing?

Kargush
08-06-2007, 13:44

By a lousy margin. And ever campaign it seems the victor gets in with a mere handfull of percents over the loser. Only exception I can think of was Storm of Chaos. Heck, GW can't let either side win too severely, it'd mess up the balance in the hobby if Chaos had won every game in the 13th Black Crusade, or the Orks had overrun Armageddon completely. As it is, both sites are just balanced enough to offer lots of games set in a background of perpetual war.

A neutral shade of black.
08-06-2007, 13:55

Oh, yeah. Sorry if not everyone remembers, but since it had no impact on the fluff whatsoever, you know... :rolleyes:

*** Perhaps Rigging the campaign results is a good thing?

No, it isn't.

You either run campaigns and say that the outcome will influence the fluff, or you run them and say it won't. You don't run them, then rig them so that you can write the fluff you want to continue selling overpriced models. It may be good for short term business, but it builds bad business relations.

Captain Micha
08-06-2007, 14:55
yes, they are rigged. And no it is not a good thing.

Also, this zero impact on the story arc thing has got to go. I hate dues ex machina stories.

E-Dog
08-06-2007, 16:52
Yes I think they are, fantasy ones too.

incarna
08-06-2007, 17:39
It really comes down to quantity. There are more marine players than any other player out there. Iíd go so far as to say there are more marine players than any TWO other faction players combined.

There is a second issue which isnít often discussed and that is the submission of results without actually playing the game. If we assume 20% of every faction submits bogus results than the 20% of bogus marine players significantly outweighs the 20% of any other faction (or 2).

It is my belief that it is the bogus results that have dictated the outcome of every campaign. It is also for this reason that I donít bother playing in campaigns or submitting results.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
08-06-2007, 18:21
2 sides. Good and Bad.

Which means one or other will win. Given infinite games (or a high volume) and statisical chance comes into it's own, meaning a draw is the inevitable result.

GW games, rigged by mathematics!

crashbang
08-06-2007, 18:52
okay guys, these campaigns are always going to be narrow. why? because thousands of people play them!! ten people play a game, 5 on each side. if one side wins 3 of the games thats a 60/40 ratio, so pretty desicive.
but with thousands, the scores will even out, just like possesion stats usually even out in a football game. but this is thousands. all different playing circumstances, armies etc, not everyone uses the typical army, and never will. so there are not going to be descisive victories. chaos won eye of terror, and there have only been armaggedon and ichar before that. so its 2-1 basically ( i dont count medusa which had multiple sides all of which had different scales of victory)
so no i dont think its rigged.

Nidhogg
08-06-2007, 18:57
i agree, my basic problem is how unwilling GW are to ever make any definate fluff moves.

I have high hopes for the Nemisis Crown, it will be interesting to see if it means the end of the Empire and the Dwarves "special" relationship.

the1stpip
08-06-2007, 22:14
You can't blame GW for possibly 'rigging' the campaign. As has already been said, if Chaos won Eye of Terror by a large margin, then it would be 40k over.

I also believe it comes down to statistics. The more results, the more chance for an average result.

At least in Medusa V, and hopefully in Nemesis Crown, it is not such an earth shattering event, and so it doesn't really matter if one side wins decisively or not. In Medusa V, it was only ever going to be a fluff victory (Imperial won, then Dark Eldar, and No'Akai(?) was still killed by Asdrubael), and in NC, one race will probably get a special character with the nemesis crown.

During the fantasy Albion campaign, the winners (DE and Dwarfs) got a couple of extra magic items, nothing to really upset the balance of the game...