PDA

View Full Version : 15 a side

sagittar slaith
08-06-2007, 12:33
i was thinking, after doing a quick one on one battle against my brother, would it be possible to do a huge game of inq28? i mean, like, 15 men a side. would it be doable, other than the time restrictions, and the size of the board.

any advice or ideas would be appreciated

monkey child
08-06-2007, 12:40
One problem I could see you having is just trying to keep track of things, I think it would suck a great amount of fun trying to remember everything thats going on. Why not start of with Necromunda type rules then once you reach a certain number of losses you could switch over to INQ rules at a number thats more manageable.

precinctomega
08-06-2007, 13:38
I ran a game in March that had 29 characters in it (about 12 players). It was the culminating slug-fest of a day-long campaign and I was feeling nice, so a fair few players made it to the final show-down who probably shouldn't have, but there we go.

Anyway, it took an hour to do four turns.

The main problems were the number of players - each player had 2-3 characters, so really only got to do something for a couple of minutes each and got bored when they weren't active. Bored players is a bad thing.

There was also a lot of me shouting "Oi!! It's your turn!" at people.

R.

Xisor
09-06-2007, 04:24
One of the others will have a link for it (a cursory search on my part didn't reveal anything), but there are rules out there for 'Grunts'. Essentially just streamlined rules for characters you don't really care about. Y'know, zombies, nameless henchmen, redshirts etc.

The cunning thing about these is that
1- Since you don't care precisely where, how and how much they're hit, just how badly, as an end result, shooting at and by these characters is quite straightforward. Similarly, stats are usually a nice 'round number', eg a 5 or a 0.
2- It allows you to play with a couple of characters you do care about (Like Inquisitor X, his fresh eyed idiot savant Y who can hardly wield a toothbrush, let alone a gun and hired bodyguard tech cultists Z) can be the ones doing all the neat cinematics, whilst only the 'grunts' are there as interesting background rather than protaganists.

Of course, you *could* do this with a 15 Inquisitors each (Conclave gone wrong, perhaps?), but only care enough about one or two of them to use them as central protaganists whilst the other Inquisitors are relegated in their statistics somewhat.

That's one of the excellent benefits, IMO, of the 'grunts' idea as a bolt-on to the Inquisitor System. It reinforces the 'Movie' narrative to your games. Whilst it would be proper and not lazy to care in detail about *all* the characters, some folks just can't be bothered! Like me!

Sarison
09-06-2007, 09:11
we play with Grunts, fodder, meatshields, goons, what have you, and the GM controls them. they get to claim three actions, only ever perform one or two of them, and have stats around 45.

for the most part, they dont do much except give the other characters targets, but sometimes they mob weaklings. the largest problem with these guys having to keep track of their injuries, so most of the time if they get serious injured (ie anything that -1 speed or worse) we just say that they spend the rest of their actions as if they failed thier nerve test and never let them recover. if anyone ever stumbles across the hole they inevitably find themselves curled up in, they usually get the Emperor's Peace. or in the case of the bolt gun or powersword wielding Inquisitor, the Emperor's Pieces. (its a verbal joke, say it out loud if you dont get it)

Sabbad
10-06-2007, 15:06
15 a side games are a bad idea.

I would never include more than 20 models in a game of Inquisitor, and to be honest that's really pushing it.

precinctomega
12-06-2007, 09:16
Grunt rules can be found in Architecture of Hate Part One, from the SG website.

R.