PDA

View Full Version : Pursuit of the table

Tarax
12-08-2005, 08:54
What happens if you charge a unit, which chooses to flee and subsequently moves of the table? Your full charge moves is still enough to catch the unit and your normal move will keep you on the table.

Is it a failed charge, because the unit fled of the table and is no longer reachable?

Can you choose to make your full charge move and pursue off the table or to make your normal move and stay on the table?

Do you have to make your full charge move as you can catch the fleeing unit?

Any suggestions?

peteratwar
12-08-2005, 08:59
I would think that as there is nothing allowing you to make a restricted charge, then you make the full charge move which would destroy your opponent. If you then go off the table as a result then you return on your following turn.

T10
12-08-2005, 09:31
The most appropriate way to deal with this is to treat it as a failed charge.

Once the fleing unit is off the table it is removed. Since it is no longer there there is no way the charging unit can reach it, hence a failed charge.

-T10

ironduke
12-08-2005, 09:36
similiar question. If you unit persues or overruns off the table and its the last turn. Do you count them as destroyed for purposes of victory points?
I don't think it so but I fought someone who pulled this trick out of the hat against me. I overrun off the board and my opponent blocked off their entry point with a unit meaning they couldn't come back on the board. :(

gortexgunnerson
12-08-2005, 10:06
I hope you firmly inserted his largest model up his own **** and never play him again.

And No if you pursue/overrun off the table in the last turn you do not count as destroyed

peteratwar
12-08-2005, 10:06
If you are doing the pursuing then no you do not lose the unit and your opponent does NOT gain any points.

AS to your opponent playing the trick of placing a unit where your went off thus trying to deny you entry, is a non-starter. You come on at the point closest to where you went off if the exact sport is blocked.

ironduke
12-08-2005, 10:39
thats what i thought. It was a long time ago and i packed up and stopped playing when it reached this point.

Crazy Harborc
12-08-2005, 23:49
I pursue and capture that unit standard IF I catch the unit. If they out distance my unit's max distance, it's a "normal/single move distance move because of a failed charge. Always try to catch them when they go off the board, IF you want that 100pts for the captured standard.

Festus
13-08-2005, 07:33
Hi

You can't get that standard if the unit chooses to flee for several reasons:

1. You don't get a standard for destroying a fleeing unit. Only for breaking them in Close Combat.
2. You cannot in any case outdistance them. Although maths tells you that you should get to the unit 2" or so off the table, the unit is not in the game anymore by the time you start your move.

Crazy Harborc
14-08-2005, 01:13
Hiiieeee.......Opps, I did miss that one big time didn't I? (NO answer needed ok) I was only thinking about right after they break.

Yeah, they are already out of the game :confused: Oh well, better to find out here than on the field.

By the by, you and Sylass have made me look real smart, when I remembered one of your's or his answers.

eldereth
14-08-2005, 09:37
And to make things even more complicated: what happens if you play breakthrough, and in the last turn, one of the units of the player who has to break through (ie. get as many units in the opponents deployment zone) pursuits of the table in such a way that they would normally reappear in the opponents deployment zone, hence get the victory points. (boy, what a sentence, anybody still following? no? great! ) Of course, because it was the last turn and the unit doesn't reappear on the table and is in theory not in the opponents deployment zone. Does the player get the points for that unit being in the opponents 'deployment' zone?

Festus
14-08-2005, 11:00
Hi

Nice one that :)

I'd say: Yes, as the unit has managed to reach the enemie's deployment zone rather intact, which obviously is the aim of this set of victory conditions.
It might (*not able to check, but there may well be any hints*) not be by the exact letter of the rules, but it certainly is by its spirit.

Greetings
Festus

PS Harboc- thx

Major Defense
14-08-2005, 13:34
And to make things even more complicated: what happens if you play breakthrough, and in the last turn, one of the units of the player who has to break through (ie. get as many units in the opponents deployment zone) pursuits of the table in such a way that they would normally reappear in the opponents deployment zone, hence get the victory points. (boy, what a sentence, anybody still following? no? great! ) Of course, because it was the last turn and the unit doesn't reappear on the table and is in theory not in the opponents deployment zone. Does the player get the points for that unit being in the opponents 'deployment' zone?

I would say no because in a regular game that unit, while not counting as destroyed, does not get to count as occupying the table quarter it left from. In a Breakthrough game it should be the same?

Festus
14-08-2005, 14:36
Hi

I see a Braekthrough as what it is called: A Breakthrough through the enemy lines.

It certainly is better if the unit pentrates even more deeply into enemy territory, in this case even behind the enemies lines, no?

IMO the scenario's fluff makes it clear that the whole point is breaking through the defender's lines to reach the ships behind.

Greetings
Festus