PDA

View Full Version : Help with Empire

Maynard
08-06-2007, 13:39
Hey guys I've recently purchased a load of Empire miniatures (when I left working for GW) but I've never played them and although I love the fluff and models I'm not quite sure how to start them off, I basically need help with army composition at 1k then 2k points.

I have a lot of infantry(let's say 80 assorted types for now swordsmen spears halberds), 30 flagellants,30 Teutogen Guard(greatswords),10knights,3 priests,2 wizards.

All help appreciated!

Hywel
08-06-2007, 14:11
Without going into too much detail, I'd advise starting off with a pair of 30 man state infantry blocks with detachments (you may wish to go for a unit of 20 greatswords/flagellants instead of another 30 man block), a 10 man missile unit, an artillery piece, a knight unit and a general, battle standard and wizard.

I find these to be the units that I pretty much always use and form the core of an empire force at any points level.

Maynard
08-06-2007, 14:14
Without going into too much detail, I'd advise starting off with a pair of 30 man state infantry blocks with detachments (you may wish to go for a unit of 20 greatswords/flagellants instead of another 30 man block), a 10 man missile unit, an artillery piece, a knight unit and a general, battle standard and wizard.

I find these to be the units that I pretty much always use and form the core of an empire force at any points level.

I don't really like the warmachines too much and God knows I don't want to buy any more stuff right now! But I might include a traditional one like the cannon when I get to 1.5k or 2k.

Elcampbello
08-06-2007, 15:05
Build your units as swordsmen, (30 of 25) and the remainder as halberdiers. Flagalents and greatswords are awesome, knights are good if expensive.

Hywel
08-06-2007, 15:12
I don't really like the warmachines too much and God knows I don't want to buy any more stuff right now! But I might include a traditional one like the cannon when I get to 1.5k or 2k.

I commend going with what you like and fully encourage you to do so. However, do bear in mind that a great cannon responds to so many threats that nothing else in your army can adequately confront. Chariots and large monsters are the main culprits that can really ruin your day.

Cannons are not a prerequisite of victory, but they certainly make it a bit easier to obtain. :p

Rightnow
08-06-2007, 15:33
Looking at what you have there here is what I recommend for 1000 points:

For characters just a WP with the Holy Relic. He gives you Ld 8 and a dispel dice. Most people don't have a ton of magic at 1000 points and with the points you save by only taking one character you can fill the board with troops.

Then take two to three units of 25 state troops with 6 man fighting detachments. The detachments are 3x3.

Take 2 units of 5 knights with a musician. You can upgrade one to inner circle. Put the WP here for a powerful unit.

I'd take a unit of flagellants.

I know you don't want to buy anything else, but you HAVE to get a cannon. Look on eBay. Empire cannons go cheap all of the time. You should be able to get one for $15 easily.

Remember that the Empire is a semi-horde army. At 1000 points you can have 80-100 models on the board which is where you want to be.

Come visit www.warhammer-empire.com for a really great site with friendly people. :)

Think about adding some x-bowmen next and don't spend too many points on characters. Characters are not the strength of the Empire. Numbers, some shooting and combined tactics win the day. Hand gunners are better as detchments and x-bowmen are better as a large unit. (15-20)

Maynard
08-06-2007, 16:45
I commend going with what you like and fully encourage you to do so. However, do bear in mind that a great cannon responds to so many threats that nothing else in your army can adequately confront. Chariots and large monsters are the main culprits that can really ruin your day.

Cannons are not a prerequisite of victory, but they certainly make it a bit easier to obtain. :p

Cool! Thanks for the info, now onto trying to write a viable army list!