PDA

View Full Version : 1000 point Wood Elves army

Caligula
09-06-2007, 21:27
Hey there again, everyone. I just thought I'd like to share my current idea for a 1000 point WE force, and get some constructive criticism. Here it is...

Wood Elf Noble-
Great Weapon
Light Armour
Alter Kindred
The Helm of the Hunt
Hail of Doom Arrow
@156pts.

Spellsinger-
Level 2
Calaingor's Stave
Dispel Scroll
@175pts.

10 Glade Guard
@120pts.

10 Glade Guard
@120pts.

5 Glade Riders-
Musician
@129pts.

8 Dryads-
Branch Nymph
@108pts.

5 Wild Riders of Kurnous-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Wild Hunter
War Banner
@191pts.

TOTAL-999pts.

Thoughts?

The Anarchist
10-06-2007, 18:29
Over all a nice list, however i think it might suffer seriously aganst any combat dominated army :S

i might recomend plumping up on the number of dryads and Wild Riders. also some hard learnt advice with very similar noble hero type, be carefull with charging him into units he seriously risks getting chassed down if looses a combat, so remember to use him in conjunction with units.

hope this helps.

god octo
10-06-2007, 20:19
At low points values, WE don't tend to do well. I would try to focus on tougher units, so that have to be less protective. to do this, I would drop 1 archer unit and add another 8 dryads. They are incredibly cheap and very good, and with T4 and 5+ ward save, very survivable.

Apart from that, I think that your list is a good one.

maxthegeek1
11-06-2007, 01:11
I would try and make some points for an extra unit of 8 dryads, one doesn't seem enough. Maybe you could lose some magic items? Oh yah and i think you should get rid of the champion on the wild riders.

joske
11-06-2007, 01:18
if you're not too keen on alters, i would suggest taking horse mounted noble with same items and LA,spear&shield... put him in a GR unit and you get another hammer/flanking unit... drop champion on dryads and with spare points take 6th WR... think it comes to 1000pts sharp :)... god octo made a good point also... so loosing a unit of archers for another dryads might be a good idea... then you would have 2 tough/multi attack units and 2 fast/hard hitting flanking units with some missile support... you can take 2 more archers or nymphs for both dryad units if you feel you need them with remaing points...

Caligula
12-06-2007, 14:42
Great, thanks for the advice everyone. I'll look into making some changes...

popisdead
14-06-2007, 22:54
looks good, the Wild Riders is pts heavy. i usually just take 5 with a musician.

The champion for one, is a waste of points. Also they can't flee, if that unit gets caught in a charge that's 100 free VP you're giving up. just if someone happens to get an 18" charge range unit near them.

I'd drop the useless command on them and take a great eagle.

Caligula
21-06-2007, 18:46
Okay, I've worked the list around a little(well, a lot in some cases) and this is what I've come up with. Note that I haven't removed the command from the Wild Riders at this point, because up until now they've been working like a charm. We'll see what happens though. Regardless, here's the new list.

Wood Elf Noble-
Great Weapon
Light Armour
Alter Kindred
The Helm of the Hunt
Hail of Doom Arrow
@156pts.

Branchwraith-
A Cluster of Radiants
A Pageant of Shrikes
@115pts.

10 Glade Guard
@120pts.

10 Glade Guard
@120pts.

5 Glade Riders-
Musician
@129pts.

8 Dryads
@96pts.

8 Dryads
@96pts.

5 Wild Riders of Kurnous-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Wild Hunter
@166pts.

TOTAL-998pts.

That Guy
21-06-2007, 19:49
I think the second list is a big improvement, mostly because I didn't think that the mage in the first one was going to do much anyways. Yes, Treesinging is fun, but at this points level the mage was nearly a fifth of your army. Droping him for the Dryads and another combat character I think was a good call. This list looks balanced, effective, and fun to play. And you even have the Pageant to help take out mages. I'd prefer a Great Eagle, to be honest, but then you'd also have to drop at least part of the Wild Rider command, which you don't want to do, or the Hail of Doom arrow, which would just be silly.

So, to reiterate: excellent list.

Caligula
21-06-2007, 22:20
Great, thanks for the moral booster and thoughts, That Guy! I'm really liking the look of the second list myself, and see it as an excellent staging point for a larger force.

Thanks again, That Guy. I'm off to buy some models;)

Caligula
21-06-2007, 22:34
Ah, the models are ordered and on their way to my doorstep:) Now, does anyone have some suggestions on how I could expand this army for say the next 500 points?

god octo
22-06-2007, 09:11
Well,for the next 500 points, I would try to get a tougher Forest spirit into the army, either in the form of a Treeman or a unit of Treekin. Some more movement wouldn't hurt either, so possibly as unit of warhawk riders, an Eagle or another unit of glade riders.

Caligula
22-06-2007, 14:19
Okay, thanks for the advice, god octo. I'll look into making a 500 point addition and post here to see what you think.

EvilGenius1
27-06-2007, 22:28
I was thinking of using almost EXACTLY the same list, the only difference being I'm not using the Wild Riders. Instead, I'll porb use Waywatchers or Wardancers.

enyoss
27-06-2007, 23:08
The second incarnation of your list looks nice :).

Regarding expanding your army, I'd agree that treekin would be a nice addition as they would provide you with a tough combat unit.

I'd also recommend a unit of eternal guard as, again, they fulfill a role that isn't covered in your existing list. They're a bit harsh on the cold hard cash front though!

I'd advise against a treeman at such small points values. They are very powerful at smaller points (particularly at <2000pts where your opponent won't have a Lord to help deal with them) and as such you may get a bit of flak for fielding one. Probably better to buy the big guy when you have enough to leave him out if you want.

Cheers,

enyoss