PDA

View Full Version : Monsters in Challenges and Overkill

Sabbad
10-06-2007, 13:09
Let's say my Champion of Khorne on Juggernaut is in a challenge with a Skink Brave.

The Skinks have charged, so they strike first. The Brave does no wounds.

The Champion then attacks at the next highest Initiative and murders the Skink horribly, gaining a couple of Overkill points as he does so.

Can the Juggernaut then attack the dead Brave (and potentially gain Overkill points by doing so)?

This is really important, the combat resolution here can decide who wins and loses the combat (though perhaps not in the Skink example...)

If anyone can give me an answer using a rulebook reference it would be very useful.

T10
10-06-2007, 13:56
The overkill example in the rule book kind of covers this. From this I extrapolate that a dragon (5 attacks, usually) and a Lord-level character (4 or 5 attacks, usually) score six unsaved wounds on the champion.

This does suggest that both the character and the mount gets to make all their attacks.

-T10

Sabbad
10-06-2007, 13:58
Hmmm. I used that to illustrate my point, but it's not the conclusive proof I'd been looking for.

T10
10-06-2007, 14:02
Sorry, the example states they cause 7 wounds on the champion, not 6.

You aren't going to get anything more conclusive than this: The rules do not make it clear either way. The example, however, suggests that both complete their attacks.

-T10

DeathlessDraich
10-06-2007, 15:30
Three part answer here which will generate some disagreement I'm sure :p :

1) Both character and mount fight in the challenge
pg 77
"If the character is riding a steed or monster, the mounts fight in the challenge"

2) Since attacks are resolved in Initiative order, the character will probably strike before the mount - pg 34 "...blows are struck in strict Initiative order"

3) a) If the character fails to slay the challenged enemy model, all is well and the mount attacks as usual and can contribute to overkills.

b) If the character slays the challenged enemy model, the mount *does not* get to strike and will therefore not generate overkills. - pg 32 [I]"...can fight if they are in btb ... when it is *their chance to attack*".
The exception to this occurs if both character and mount have the same Initiative.
[If impact hits slays a sole character unit, there will be no challenge but it cannot be declared anyway]