PDA

View Full Version : WE vs. Characters on flying monsters

Sylass
10-06-2007, 15:28
Hi,

I was thinking about the WE army recently and how a good WE player pretty much dictates the way a game is played. That got me thinking about how an opponent would put back some pressure on the WE army.

My first thought was a character on a medium flying monster (Griffon, Manticore, Hippogriffon etc...) or even a dragon if you wanted to push it. Daemon Princes would probably work well too. Or other high mobile monsters using ground movement (Shaggoth maybe?).

How would a WE player try to counter this? Deploying a small unit of Waywatchers near by and hoping for the lucky shot? WE noble with Bow of Loren and the Arcane Bodkins?

Any other ideas? :)

Finnigan2004
10-06-2007, 15:41
I've been thinking about this as well because I recently played wood elves and found them to be very, very difficult. I'm not too sure of how to handle their control of the flow of the game, and the last time that I played wood elves with my daemonic legion (khorne) I was massacred. I think that the next time that I play, I will use an exalted daemon and a bloodthirster (nothing else could handle the treeman-- not even my daemon prince). I'll let you know if it works, but as I don't know any wood elf players (it was in a tournament) I might not face wood elves for a while.

sulla
11-06-2007, 05:27
Well, the medium sized monsters are very vulnerable to even s3 shooting and/or being charged too being only t5, no armour save. so they have to be very careful where they land near your skirmishers. Dragons are a lot better vs you but at 400-700pts, can they kill enough points of your army to make themselves worthwhile? An elf dragon for example wouldn't want to engage your high value treeman in cc because the rider would most likely be killed and even if he isn't, he can't guarantee breaking the tree in combat so leaves himself open to countercharge by dryads or wardances and all of their attacks. A chaos dragon is another story. He will probably have the hellfire sword and head straight for you treeman or treekin but even after that, can he kill enough to make back his 600+ pts? Especially if you lure him into a forest.

Lord_Byron
11-06-2007, 08:02
Hail of Doom Arrow.

Glade Guard Longbows.

Magic. (The Call of the Hunt, Hunters Spear, Beast Cowers)

Strangleroot.

Alterkin.

Woods.

Maybe even ranged spites in a pinch.