PDA

View Full Version : the outsider sighted?!

Damokles
12-08-2005, 16:37
just found that one (http://uk.games-workshop.com/necrons/flash-map/1/) on the uk GW site,

now have a closer look at the little picture titled "deep scan image capture" left from the centre of the map, looks like a dyson-sphere to me, so maybe the outsider is closer than we think...

what do you guys think?

fsssh
12-08-2005, 16:48
It says 1.04 AU for diameter, I thought the Outsiders Dyson sphere was bigger than that - I heard about 2 AU??

athamas
12-08-2005, 16:51
this agian... [sorry it crops up everso often]

the dyson sphere is the correct size, [we are 1 AU from the sun.. funny that...]

so its 2AU across..

yes that is where we belive the outsider is hiding...

Chaos and Evil
12-08-2005, 16:55
If it was the correct size it would be 1AU Radius, not 1AU Diameter, unless the sun inside is a lot less powerful than our own sun.

malika
12-08-2005, 17:00
Didnt he get out of his sphere during the EOT campaign, there was some newsletter about some god of madness right?

fsssh
12-08-2005, 17:02
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

I found this quite useful, - as for the Outsider - I hope so, I like painting C'Tan - but closer than we think - I suspect not.

Wraith
12-08-2005, 17:03
If it was the correct size it would be 1AU Radius, not 1AU Diameter, unless the sun inside is a lot less powerful than our own sun.

You forget Necron's and their technology are a fair bit more resiliant than Human biology so the inner surface of the sphere needn't be so far away.

Also there's other evidence else where that the Outsider is active presently e.g.

The following is taken from the latest EoT Newsletter.

Raiders
The implacable warriors of the Necrontyr have been sighted across the Thracian Primaris system, and initial reports suggested they were fighting towards the same common goal as the Imperium's defenders. In recent battles however, the situation has changed, and the deadly weapons of the ancient race have been turned upon the Imperium. Though none can fathom the aims and objectives of the Necrontyr, some believe they can only be acting upon the capricious whim of a truly mad god.

malika
12-08-2005, 17:04
Well quite some time ago there were all these rumours about the C'tan being released for Battlefleet Gothic.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
12-08-2005, 17:45
You know, I still don't see where this whole Dyson sphere thing comes from.

All the Codex says is that he was locked away by the other C'Tan

Wraith
12-08-2005, 18:08
Acutally the codex described the dyson shpere and the red star inside it in the fluff relating to the heretical tech priest Cortswaine.

Ornithoticus
13-08-2005, 16:33
whats the outsider?

Wraith
13-08-2005, 17:22
The Outsider is one of the four C'tan left in the galaxy, he's quite mad after the Eldar Laughing god played various mind games with him resulting in the Outsider eating many of his brother C'tan. The Outsider is dangerous enough to be one of the two C'tan deemed too powerful to be represented on the table top.

Currently he resides in a dyson sphere, draining the energies of a red star, there's hints in the codex he's quite active which has support from the fluff released in the eye of terror campaign talking about necrons acting on the whim of a 'truly mad god'.

The Eldar are quite afraid of him as their myths and legends say he'll be back for revenge one day...

Sakura
14-08-2005, 15:39
Whats a Dyson sphere and who is the outsider?
Is that like nightbringer or something?
and is a dyson sphere a planet that was built around a sun and has planets in it?

Thats what I think at least.

Uhmm, also, where did that come from? who invented the dyson sphere?

athamas
14-08-2005, 15:54
a dyson spere is a masive constructed world ~1AU from the sun that has the surface on the inside...

the potential population support is almost unlimited...

as are the resources required to build it!

Phunting
14-08-2005, 16:06
who is the outsider?
Is that like nightbringer or something? Err see the post before yours!

who invented the dyson sphere?Freeman Dyson, hence the name! Check here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere) for more details.

athamas
14-08-2005, 16:22
the internal surface area is about 2.8x10^17 Km^2...

for reference earth surface are is 507x10^6 Km^2...

so its about 550x10^6 times more space.....

500 million times more space than the earth....

Marty D
14-08-2005, 18:05
maybe people are taking the 'mad god' thing to literally

i mean, in EOT - the necrons 'seemed' to be acting randomly at first, when in fact they were striking very important targets

such as the those metal pylons on cadia and stuff - didnt the necrons help defend them?

Cheitan Shadowless
14-08-2005, 19:21
we are 1 AU from the sun.. funny that...
AU = Astronomical Unit. The very definition of an Astronomical Unit is the distance between Earth and the Sun, e.g. roughly 150 million kilometres.
So it's not really much of a coincidence. ;)

Chaos and Evil
14-08-2005, 19:41
A Dyson sphere of 1AU diameter around a red giant would... well... don't red giants have a tendancy to get larger than 1AU diameter anyway?

Chaos and Evil
14-08-2005, 19:44
AU = Astronomical Unit. The very definition of an Astronomical Unit is the distance between Earth and the Sun, e.g. roughly 150 million kilometres.
So it's not really much of a coincidence. ;)
You're mixing diameter with radius.

This sphere is half the diameter of the Earth's orbit, too far inside the danger zone to be a life-supporting sphere, but then, if it's a Necron sphere supporting life isn't exactly the priority.

erion
15-08-2005, 09:56
A Dyson sphere of 1AU diameter around a red giant would... well... don't red giants have a tendancy to get larger than 1AU diameter anyway?

It's not a red giant -- it's a red dwarf star.

x-esiv-4c
15-08-2005, 15:11
It would be nice if they actually did something with this fluff...

Gavmo
15-08-2005, 22:49
Would the mad god be the one who is the Dragon? I know nothing about Necrons.

Tastyfish
16-08-2005, 00:20
Dragon is still sleeping after his wounding by Vaul, but there is no mention of madness (any more than traditional megalomania). Anyway - his warriors are much larger than normal necrons and utilise more lightening based weaponry rather than Gauss. Whether this means his warriors are of an older or later design I have no idea.

Wraith
16-08-2005, 07:00
Would the mad god be the one who is the Dragon? I know nothing about Necrons.

No, rather the Outsider fits better (as he is insane).

Dragon is still sleeping after his wounding by Vaul

There is no fluff which states the Void Dragon was wounded by Vaul.

Brusilov
16-08-2005, 09:51
In fact, to be precise, there is no fluff that indicates that Vaul fought the Void Dragon, the story ends when Vaul goes off with his talismans, looking for the C'tan.

Tastyfish
16-08-2005, 10:00
There is no fluff which states the Void Dragon was wounded by Vaul. Given the pride of an immortal star god, I think wounded is more likely than just ran away and hid. Of course that's if Vaul and the Dragon actually exist at all...

Gavmo
16-08-2005, 12:53
Is most of this fluff in the Necron book? Cause if it is, I may have to buy it tomorrow...

Tastyfish
16-08-2005, 12:55
Well, a lot of it is but a lot also was in the WD - the Vaul and the Dragon bit, and the Outsider and the Halquins bit posted earlier.

Gavmo
16-08-2005, 12:56
Of course that's if Vaul and the Dragon actually exist at all...

Uuhh, in the 2nd ed codex:Eldar there were story's about Vaul. His 100 swords and fighting Khane and such. And since he was the Eldar "smith god," I reckon he existed.
And if he had fought the Dragon, then he would have won as he is mentioned doing stuff just before "The Fall."

Tastyfish
16-08-2005, 13:01
The 100 swords story is slightly altered with respect to the Necrons now, forgot that one there was also a fight between Khaine and the Nightbriner story in the WD.

There are complications with the stories - supposed warp gods walking the material plane, not to mention that these are legends. I know loads of stories about Thor or Zeus. Doesn't mean they are real. Course I think that Vaul from the eldar myths did exist during the time of the War in Heaven, but its still debatable. There is a lot of contradictions in the legends now, particularly over when stuff happened (Khaine going mad, the Gods being restricted to the heavens, the forging of the swords etc)

Gavmo
16-08-2005, 13:17
Well the forging of the swords would have been late in the timeline as Vaul's final sword was the one he fought Khane with. The same sword that Khane took off him to fight Slaneesh with.

Hmm, but then there could be a gap between Vaul getting beaten and Khane fighting Slaneesh. So therefor the swords may not have been forged late in the timeline.

Didnt Khane go mad when Vaul stole his "woman?" Her name was Iyiesha or something like that?

Tastyfish
16-08-2005, 13:57
Khaine went mad because his essence had been corrupted with that of Nightbringer's necrodermis after it exploded when he defeated him, so that Khaine then was tainted with the aspect of the Reaper from then on. However Khaine fought against Nightbringer alongside Eldanesh (and the other one, Ulthanesh?) and a band of Eldar heros using the 100 swords Vaul forged for him, however as one was a fake one of the flanks was slowly knocked back until C'tan and God were the only ones left.

Khaine also went mad after Isha, the mother goddess (though it might have been the Moon goddess) predicted that a mortal eldar would be his downfall - he goes on a ramage and eventually Asuryan steps in and bans gods from the material world.

Gavmo
16-08-2005, 14:18
Is this the new fluff? Cause I thought Slaneesh killed all of the Eldar gods bar The Laughing God as he hid behind Slaneesh.

Tastyfish
16-08-2005, 14:23
Slaanesh doesn't appear til millions of years afterwards, but yes it is from the new necron inquisitorial files that appeared in the WD.

There is also a bunch of odd minor gods floating around who are mentioned as fighting the Yngir such as falcon and wasp according to 3rd ed Eldar codex, the Yngir being the Eldar name for C'tan

Ruuku
16-08-2005, 19:51
Well if the Outsider is ever deemed fit to get a model and become a part of the game then it should come at the same time as the Harlequin Codex if there ever is one :cries: .