PDA

View Full Version : Help! I want to start a Sylvanian list....

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
09-04-2005, 05:56
....and i want to know what units i should take and why. I was really interested when i looked at the list on the SoC site. I have a (very) rough idea of what i want my army to look like:

Lord: Von Carstein vampire (obviosuly)

Heroes: Maybe some thralls? Im not too sure

Core: Three units of skeleton warriors (the levy)
A large unit of zombies (the militia)

Special: Drakenhof Guard
2 black coaches

Rare: Banshee? (i forgot if i could take this or not)

As you can see i dont have much of a clue of what i really want outside of a bunch of skellies, 2 coaches, and a unit of drakenhof guard. I was hoping someone here who has played either the sylvanian levy list or plays vampire counts could help me out here 'cause im in a bit of a pickle (im picking up the army book this sunday so no need to tell me to buy it). Thanks!!

User Name
09-04-2005, 06:04
dont know too muxh about VC but i would definatlly recomend spirit hosts... god damn etherial... beat my minotaurs in cc, but thats what makes them so usefull

taer
09-04-2005, 08:00
Ummm....I hate playing my sylvanian army, but that is because I suck at them. The only good advice I can give is

A: A Vampire lord is very important. I found that out the hard way by fielding a mere Vampire count.

B:Wraiths suck, and I like wraiths.

C: You have to take a Thrall, so might as well make him a BSB

D:Walking death kicks ass. So do spirit hosts.

And E: Black knights don't work at all without characters in them, and since your lord need to be near all the slow **** in your army, if you run these with a thrall or wight lord (or both) it makes them come into their own.

Roman
09-04-2005, 10:37
Spirit hosts suck at sylvanian army, cause they cant really have good magic protection so against armys with some magic can easily get them killed.

Also, the zombies are called levy, skeletons militia ;)

I'd say take a vampire lord and 2 thralls.
take 2-3 infantry units, Levy are cheap and nearly just as good as militia, while militia can have champions to take the challenge instead of the character thats in them, so they could be nice to have as well.

Take lots of dire wolves, make 1 scouting. Take 1 or 2 units of fell bats (depends on how many summon wolves you have, if you have alot of summon wolves 1 unit will do).

Only take 2 coaches when you also have something against cannons and stuff. So if you do get coaches, I'd recommend at least 2 vampires having summon wolves and a unit of wights with drakenhof banner.

Drakenhof guard are good, but they have little attacks, strike last. The main reason I dont take them is M4, they are slow and expensive. Experienced players will make sure these never see combat. So unless you really like them or play against relatively new players your better off spending on drakenhof templars.

Banshees are an option, and since they cant be targetted by missiles if she's within 5" of a unit (of 5 models or more) she cant be killed that easily. So although its still risky, its a risk you can take.

EvC
09-04-2005, 13:27
What if you have the book of arkhan on hand to give the DT a little movement boost? Assuming you can get the spell off, of course...

Roman
09-04-2005, 13:29
That would make them pretty fast actually (16" in one turn), but unfortunatly its easily dispelled....

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
09-04-2005, 16:18
Ill use all my other magic first then...i just think they are cool. And i dont have to use the great weapons b/c they have hand weapons too (or so i thought)

taer
09-04-2005, 17:28
Yes they do, and remember as whites all their weapons have killing blow. Bye bye unit of knights!

Alderhan
13-04-2005, 19:39
I always take a Vampire Lord for that extra magic level (the extra dispel dice).
When it comes to magic defence I haven't had any special problems against magic heavy armies. I take Earthbind on all my vampires (lord and two thralls) plus the Drakenhof Banner, the magic resistance really helps.

I'd recommend getting wolves, bats and spirit host to protect flanks, though.

Debaser
07-11-2005, 03:31
what would you guys say to me using skeletons as levy?

and does magic resistance extend to the unit the vamp is in?