PDA

View Full Version : How have Skaven changed in 7th edition?

Stingray_tm
11-06-2007, 07:50
Until now i was playing Skaven in sixth edition. My main opponent plays Dark Elves. After looking into the new rules without any experiences with the 7th edition it seems, that my Skaven list versus his DE list got really worse.

I am using

Clanrats (no changes there, i have always been playing 5 models wide)
Slaves (now i have to buy more or lose the rank bonus earlier. I was going for the 20 Slaves formation)
Rat Swarms (more fragile)
Skirmishers (slower and i think they no longer negate enemy rank bonuses)
Weapon teams (now can be shot at more easily)
Warlock Engineers (now have to be hidden inside units)

My enemy uses
Witch Elves/Executioners/Spearelves (now can kill more stuff because of 5 wide regiments)
Charriot (no changes there)
Bolt Thrower (no changes there)
Repeater XBows (no changes there)

So my feeling is (but i could be wrong), that Skaven got nerfed a bit. Any thoughts of Skaven players?

forgottenlor
11-06-2007, 07:56
I think the weapon teams, which were earlier considered somewhat abusive are affected the most. On the other hand, playing 5 wide is a great advantage for you over the dark elves, simply because your opponent needs to use much more expensive units to get the static bonuses to combat resolution, while our units are cheap and don't really loose out so much. Consider with executions that each rank used to cost 44 points and now costs 55 points. I.e. each static combat bonus from rank bonus now costs 11 points more. I don't think the one extra attack the executioners gets really makes up for this.

Grudgebringer88
11-06-2007, 07:59
"Skirmishers (slower and i think they no longer negate enemy rank bonuses)"

Skirmishers never negated rank bonuses in 6th edition. Meaningless to know now, but I had to point it out.

Tastyfish
11-06-2007, 08:01
Also, Skirmishers didn't negate ranks in 6th edition anyway. How wide are your opponents units? From what I've seen of most dark elf players (myself included) 6 tended to be the norm far as frontage for witchelves, corsairs and executioners (occasionally just 5). Other than boosting his frontage to 7 there shouldn't be any change in the number of models he can bring to bear since models touching at the corner of their bases count.

Stingray_tm
11-06-2007, 08:04
He usually had/has 5.

Tastyfish
11-06-2007, 08:14
So yeah, he's actually not benefited at all from the new rules since 5 wide would have been able to get all models fighting against anything 3 20mm bases wide and upwards.

The changes to the stupidity rules are one of the best things for the dark elves (moving their cold ones at a predictable rate and not affecting them in close combat).

maze ironheart
11-06-2007, 08:54
Until now i was playing Skaven in sixth edition. My main opponent plays Dark Elves. After looking into the new rules without any experiences with the 7th edition it seems, that my Skaven list versus his DE list got really worse.

I am using

Clanrats (no changes there, i have always been playing 5 models wide)
Slaves (now i have to buy more or lose the rank bonus earlier. I was going for the 20 Slaves formation)
Rat Swarms (more fragile)
Skirmishers (slower and i think they no longer negate enemy rank bonuses)
Weapon teams (now can be shot at more easily)
Warlock Engineers (now have to be hidden inside units)

My enemy uses
Witch Elves/Executioners/Spearelves (now can kill more stuff because of 5 wide regiments)
Charriot (no changes there)
Bolt Thrower (no changes there)
Repeater XBows (no changes there)

So my feeling is (but i could be wrong), that Skaven got nerfed a bit. Any thoughts of Skaven players?

They might get an update on their book to work with the new rules like weapon teams have to be in the uints.

Torr
18-06-2007, 21:20
I think that the changes 7th edition gave skaven balanced them in the average game. To be competitive in tourny I don't see the 7th edition skaven army being good without being "cheesy"

fubukii
18-06-2007, 22:00
id hate to break it to you but you should not have much trouble zappin those dark elves with your skaven force. You will out number him by insane amounts, and your troops dont have a much worse statline then his (-1ws and -1in?) all for about half the cost of his troop?. Dark elves like all elves have no armor and are toughness 3 which means spells like warped lightning (2d6 str 5 hits) totally devestate his units if not cripple em. not to mention having access to the best redirecting units in the game (slaves). Im sure you will do fine vs your dark elf rival if you play your cards right