PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen: 2000 pts for general use

ReveredChaplainDrake
11-06-2007, 13:26
While this list is technically for "take all comers" lists, I informally expect to fight a lot of Wood Elves, Vampire Counts and Empire.

Saurus Scar-Veteran (General) w/ Sacred Spawning of Quetzl, Sacred Spawning of Tepok, Great Weapon, Light Armor, Shield, Charm of the Jaguar Warrior: 153 pts

My standard JSoD, I'm quickly memorizing the setup.

Saurus Scar-Veteran w/ Sacred Spawning of Itzl, Sacred Spawning of Tepok, Cold One, Spear, Shield, Light Armor: 141 pts

Just a spear-swinging Scar-Vet. I don't really need anything fancy. Just a lot of attacks and a fear-causer for not a lot of points.

Saurus Scar-Veteran (BSB) w/ Sacred Spawning of Itzl, Sacred Spawning of Tepok, Cold One, War Banner, Hand Weapon, Light Armor: 185 pts

Another CO rider, but this one carries the standard. This gives the guy a 2+ save without even needing a shield, and he adds +2 CR just for sitting in the front rank.

There's not a single Lord-level character in here. I find that Lizard Lord-levels (Slanns, Carnos, and even just plain Oldbloods) are too expensive for anything lower than 2250-pt games.

Lv1 Skink Priest w/ 2x Dispel Scrolls: 115 pts

A single scroll caddy, because I can't imagine 2000 pts pulling out a ton of magic. Who knows? I may actually get off a Celestial Shield or even a Thunderbolt of my own. But his main role is being a walking Dispel Dice generator, and making sure that no big spell goes off without Irresistable Force.

18 Saurus w/ Full Command: 246 pts

18 Saurus w/ Full Command: 246 pts

By joining my two Saurus on COs into these units, they effectively turn into 20-strong fear causers, and the BSB's unit gets a static CR of 7!

10 Skinks w/ Javelins & Shields: 60 pts

10 Skinks w/ Blowpipes & Scouts: 70 pts

I'm keeping my Skink count pretty low nowadays. One thing I've learned about Skink screens is that they really don't work against anybody with a brain. Cannons ignore them (or blast right through them), guns using Artillery dice or magic missiles that auto-hit (eg Forked Lightning) decimate them, and any unit on a hill can see right over them and shoot in 2 ranks to boot. I have Javelins and Shields for the Kroxigors, and a Blowpipe unit to shoot and march block on a flank.

15 Saurus w/ Full Command & Spawning of Quetzl: 240 pts

I always have one Quetzl Saurus block. They're just so tough, even against shooting. I had a thought to use Tepok Saurus instead, just to get the 7th DD, but I think 6 should be sufficient, and Quetzl is just about the most useful Saurus block spawning there is (outside Tlazcotl).

3 Kroxigors: 174 pts

Everybody has their staples. I just can't shake the expression on my opponent's face from my last game when I used Kroxigors to charge Dryads through not only a marsh, but friendly Skinks.

5 Terradons: 175 pts

US5 (barely) flyers that run aruond, throw poisoned Str4 Javelins into people's flanks, and can actually take a single casualty and not need a break test. They also chase off enemy skirmishers and march inhibitors with a beautiful 20" charge, just to get 'em out of my hair. And besides, you practically have to be US5 to do anything of impact in this game.

3 Salamanders w/ 9 Skink Handlers: 195 pts

I've used 2 salamanders before, and I've noticed that, most times, Skinks tend to die terrible deaths when targeted by enemy fire of any kind, no matter how inaccurate, leaving the Salamanders on their own for the most part, often subjecting them to some useless role where they won't do anything of consequence but amuse the opponent. And for sallies in CC, Skinks are a liability to the Sallies' CR. Plus, it always helps to outnumber with US15 (total) Fear-causers whenever possible.

gerrymander61
11-06-2007, 23:57
This list is beautiful. Moreso because of the blocks of saurus. People tend to go skink crazy because admittedly, they are good and fun. Good magic defence. One thing you're missing is protection on your flanks. Yes your units are tough as hell but one flank charge could send it all to hell and back again in a hurry.

ReveredChaplainDrake
12-06-2007, 13:03
This list is beautiful. Moreso because of the blocks of saurus. People tend to go skink crazy because admittedly, they are good and fun. Good magic defence. One thing you're missing is protection on your flanks. Yes your units are tough as hell but one flank charge could send it all to hell and back again in a hurry.

I'm aware of the problems of outmaneuvering foot blocks. However, in a 2000-pt list, can I generally count on a handful of Skinks, some Terradons, some Salamanders, and a JSoD to block the opponent from doing anything sneaky like march-blocking or setting up flank charges? (I'd imagine this would work against anything short of a flying Lord-level character, Pegasus Knights, or some hard fast cav, if there are any.) The idea is generally to run up a single flank so as to not have to worry about guarding multiple flanks.

Also, now that I think of it, how would I deal with large, mondo-expensive Lord-level characters, like Bloodthirsters and Dragons? I'm not so much worried about Terror, as they need to be US21 Terror-causers at least to faze my unharmed non-quetzl Saurus blocks.

soultaker87
12-06-2007, 13:36
This looks like a pretty good list, only thing you could put in is a magic weapon, if the guy you are fighting is VC and he use spirit hosts. if you want to keep the same set up for one of your heros then give him venom of the fire frog which is cheap and gives your hero poison and magical attacks. Just a suggestion, I had it happen to me twice soo now I either take two skink shamans or a magical weapon.

nyahuma
15-06-2007, 04:18
Yeah, I have to agree with soultaker, a spirit host can be a pain in the neck and a cheap magic item can really help with that. I think it is a very solid list overall. In fact I may have to stel it :) I especially love the trick of using the characters to make the units immune to fear - sure to become a staple.

I love skinks, but I see why you have cut down on them here. Really, they are best used in large numbers (I generally take around 60) or (almost) not at all. On the other hand, they are the thing to take out uber monsters - I manages to drop a vamp lord on a dragon in 2 turns using massed skink firepower. Ditto with a pair of giants.

The only unit I have an issue with are the terradons. They are nice, and I see their role in this list, but I find that the combo of speed and poor leadership means that they exit the battle early and often. Still, I have used them in groups of 3 and maybe that was too small to be effective. When in doubt I tend to just fall back on more skinks :)

ReveredChaplainDrake
15-06-2007, 14:16
Yeah, I have to agree with soultaker, a spirit host can be a pain in the neck and a cheap magic item can really help with that. I think it is a very solid list overall. In fact I may have to stel it :) I especially love the trick of using the characters to make the units immune to fear - sure to become a staple.

Heh, yeah, I saw somebody pull this trick with using a Cold One Scar Vet in a Temple Guard squad to effectively replace the Totem of Prophecy, as well as greatly increasing the unit's fighty powers. However, I don't like Temple Guard because of the whole forced-to-run-with-the-Slann thing, and the weirdness leading up to the infamous 2nd rank Slann BSB debate.

The only unit I have an issue with are the terradons. They are nice, and I see their role in this list, but I find that the combo of speed and poor leadership means that they exit the battle early and often. Still, I have used them in groups of 3 and maybe that was too small to be effective. When in doubt I tend to just fall back on more skinks :)

That's why the JSoD is the General. Saurus don't need a Ld8 General. The Skink Riders do. Also, another bit of fun, since the Skinks' and Terradons' statlines were combined, technically the Skinks are throwing Str4 Javelins, which I find somewhat amusing.

gerrymander61
16-06-2007, 04:04
Bane head dominates lordly characters, at only 15 points too! Also, when people get those huge chars, they tend to want to protect them. So in you come wielding your blade o' realities and that's all for nothing. Double wounds that ignore wardsaves and have -2 armor modifier. Even with all that, your JSoCharacterKilling is still quite cheap compared to other godlike characters. Against big tough monsters, throw your skinks at them. What you have is a lot of poisoned shots against one (often large) target. Works quite well.