PDA

View Full Version : Ravener Weapon Symbiotes

moose
11-06-2007, 15:05
I've recently bought four raveners and was wondering how other people equip them. I've decided i'd like rending+scything. Which is a good 40pts i think. [Note: i intend taking them in two squads of two].

But do anybody equip them with weapons?
What weapons work best? [I usually play tau/marines]
Are they worth the points - since you could field another ravener instead of 3 weapons.

Cheers.

the1stpip
11-06-2007, 15:08
I'd go with that. +1 Attack and rending are a nasty combination.

Brother-Hyuuga
11-06-2007, 15:16
Thats how I equip mine. The combination gives them a good chance at taking out infantry and armor. They also have good Ld. so they dont need to heavily rely on synapse.

Darnok
11-06-2007, 16:11
The shooting weapons are not a good choice. Tehy make them even more expensive, and you usually get only one shooting phase with them before you are in CC. So better invest in something else.

wickedvoodoo
11-06-2007, 16:52
The shooting weapons are not a good choice. Tehy make them even more expensive, and you usually get only one shooting phase with them before you are in CC. So better invest in something else.

This about sums it. Scythes and rending is enough. First time round i built my raveners with devourers as they do get an insane rate of fire, but combine their bad BS with the fact that really you want to be fleet moving them, it only took a a couple of games to work out that i was wasting points so they got ripped off.

Egaeus
11-06-2007, 17:09
I've recently bought four raveners and was wondering how other people equip them. I've decided i'd like rending+scything. Which is a good 40pts i think. [Note: i intend taking them in two squads of two].

But do anybody equip them with weapons?
What weapons work best? [I usually play tau/marines]
Are they worth the points - since you could field another ravener instead of 3 weapons.

Cheers.

Well, I have the "old" models, so when I field mine I usually use 2x Talons and Devourer (they were "stock" builds) if I am feeling like doing WYSIWYG (which I usually try to adhere to). I usually run either 3 individuals or groups of 2-3.

"Worth the points"? Not really, although I also tend to Deep Strike them since I'm more afraid of them getting shot up crossing the table. And when 3 of them pop up and unleash 18 shots on a unit (or three0, my opponent usually tags them as an immediate threat, so they can work as a good diversion if you want to take the heat off 'Stealers or Hormies.

zealousheretic
11-06-2007, 17:22
Talons and rending claws are the best option, very worth the slight increase in points. Even against lightly armored targets, rending claws still circumvent the need to roll a wound.

And I'll echo what's been said earlier; don't give them guns. Most of the time you'll want them to fleet for the extra movement, and I prefer to keep my Ravs out of LoS completely until they're ready to strike if at all possible.

Bolter Bait
11-06-2007, 18:20
Contrary to popular belief, Raveners cost eight-spinegaunts standard and are armed (no pun intended) with scytals and rending claws with no options for ranged weapons at all. ;)

Joking aside, if you're shooting with a Ravener, you're not fleeting with a Ravener and that means that it isn't up in the opponent's face where it belongs. Yes, the gun gives it something to do the turn it arrives via Deep Strike, but Raveners don't DS 90% of the time anyway.

The only time I Deep Strike with them is when I have a single Ravener and they have obnoxious tanks just sitting there plinking away. Then the Ravener shows up about 15" away, the enemy ignores it because they don't want to waste time killing a single model, and then the Ravener pops up and destroys the rear armour of the vehicle. Solves your Leman Russ/Predator problem for a mere 40 points.

It is very tempting to give a Ravener a gun, since those 3 attacks mean it could do something, but really, 6 devourer shots or 3 spinefist volleys won't make as much a dent as the melee attacks.

Cirenivel
11-06-2007, 18:31
Contrary to popular belief, Raveners cost eight-spinegaunts standard and are armed (no pun intended) with scytals and rending claws with no options for ranged weapons at all. ;)

I know.... I really don't understand where some people get it from that you can take a ranged weapons or just a pair of talons :rolleyes: :p.

Serioulsy. The only time ranged weapons are worth it, is in games with unlimited points.... and then you might even want to take some really pimped warriors instead (this takes into account that you even play unlimited points games)

Cirenivel

Egaeus
11-06-2007, 19:15
I know.... I really don't understand where some people get it from that you can take a ranged weapons or just a pair of talons :rolleyes: :p.

Serioulsy. The only time ranged weapons are worth it, is in games with unlimited points.... and then you might even want to take some really pimped warriors instead (this takes into account that you even play unlimited points games)

Cirenivel

Just want to make clear that the OP asked if anyone used weapons and I have.
Would I suggest it? No, not if you're getting the new Raveners. But mine are 3rd edition where they came out of the blister with one pair of Talons and a Devourer (no such things as thorax-mounted weapons then). So to play closest to WYSIWYG I give them two sets of Talons and the Devourer. This also tends to be when I'm playing against Imperial Guard, so the shots and the extra CC attack are actually pretty useful for slicing up squads of Guardsmen. Not the most efficient all-around setup, but it's not completely useless either. And just for the record, that setup costs 2 points less than they used to when they only got a single set of Talons.

max the dog
12-06-2007, 01:57
I've played about 12 games with a shooting Ravener and have found the gun to be a waste of points if not an outright liability. For the most part a Ravener has but two possible roles in an army; fast assault and objective taking. For a fast assault role you need to get as many attacks as possible in as fast a package as possible. In that case 5 shooty raveners cost about as much as 6 pure close combat ravenerers and shooting would force them to give up their d6" of fleet that makes them so special. For an objective grabbing mission you want a ravener to be by it'self and hide. He should not attract any attention or his points will be wasted if the enemy decides to shoot him up. They are actually pretty fragile when it comes to most shooting. Leave the shooting to the units that are actually good at it.
If you plan on making the ravener as an objective grabber then all he needs is the cheap 2xscything talons. Why waste even 2 points of rending claws if he's not going to use it anyway. I've done the mathhammer and found that rending claws aren't any much better than the extra attack that a second set of scything talons would give. But experience has told me better and I equip them all with rending claws.

Angelwing
12-06-2007, 03:45
I'll be honest. I have 6 3rd ed. raveners with either deathspitters or devourers. I havnt used them in 4th ed at all. They simply are far better at close combat than shooting.

Ravenous
12-06-2007, 03:53
Claws and Talons is the best way to go.

Ive had one of those suckers kill a 10 marine unit on many occasions.

My next nid army has 3!

lars4life
12-06-2007, 05:48
I have never used them with guns. I will say (along with most everyone else)that claws and talons are the way to go.

AngryAngel
12-06-2007, 07:38
As plenty of others have said, no guns on these guys. Their armor is too weak..and the longer they are out vulnerable to fire, the more likely it is they'll end up rapid fired to mush and be wasted points. Just get um into CC where they belong.