PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Waepon.

BLloyd607502
11-06-2007, 15:58
What is your favorite weapon in the Mordheim system and why.
Mines either -
The ax negates light armour and is very cheap (Gromril ones negate heavy armour.)
or the sword breaker
"I attack your vampire with my young blood."
"Are you using a sword?"
"...yes"
*Clatter*
"Hit!"
*Clatter*
"Right I parry and...
*Clatter*
"You need to buy a new sword. Now, My turn."
"..."

Mouse_NJ
11-06-2007, 18:24
The good old reliable crossbow when in the hands of orc characters. For some reason, Orc characters have decent BS, so giving them a crossbow early on and putting them in a building makes them incredible and helps them advance really really quick. Plus when people charge in they are fighting T4 orcs who will soon be t5. As a defensive weapon its the best!

As a skaven player I can't explain how nasty the poisened blades became in the hands of an assassin. After leveling a little, lets see I poisen you on a 5-6, and then can critical you on a 5 or 6 and i have 5 attacks... do the math as armor is non-existent in mordheim.

Dyrnwyn
11-06-2007, 22:21
Swivel Gun, hands down. Sure, it's one per Pirate Warband, but once a gunner Lads, that thing becomes really dangerous. Especially if you roll as many skills as I do. Last campaign my Swivel Gunner had Eagle Eyes, Hunter, Trick Shot, Sprint, and Scale Sheer Surfaces. That cannon was nasty. Only ever blew up once too.

Stella Cadente
11-06-2007, 22:36
Ranged: toss up between longbow, or crossbow
Close combat: Sword, or spear

Catferret
12-06-2007, 03:38
A brace of Duelling Pistols.

1. Look cool! Very stylish and a sign of prowess and rank.
2. Accurate ranged attack. Good Strength.
3. Captains hit on 2+ vs most henchmen, or 3+ vs Heroes, while in H2H. That's invaluable.

FeetOfClay
12-06-2007, 21:43
I've always liked duelling pistols, crossbows and swords, partly because of the look of them. You can also imagine some monster charging at a guy with a pistol, while he calmly pulls it out, aims, and pops the creature right between the eyes, for it to collapse aty his feet.:evilgrin:

Lander
13-06-2007, 02:55
A brace of Duelling Pistols.

1. Look cool! Very stylish and a sign of prowess and rank.
2. Accurate ranged attack. Good Strength.
3. Captains hit on 2+ vs most henchmen, or 3+ vs Heroes, while in H2H. That's invaluable.

I agree with Catferret.

Fastforward rlz
16-06-2007, 07:07
I would have to say the Brazier Iron. Makes for hilarious games. I usually give one to my warrior priest

high lord yeurl
16-06-2007, 21:10
great claw hands down

Getz
16-06-2007, 23:40
The humble Hammer, stunning stuff on a 2-4 is brutal when you have Strike to Injure...

My Reiklanders had a Young Blood armed with two hammers and the Strike to Injure and Lightning Relfexes skills. Combined with his I4 he bodyguarded my Captain then if anyone tried to charge his boss he intercepted them and left them on the floor for the cap' to finish... :evilgrin:

Dakkagor
16-06-2007, 23:59
the blunderbuss. 3 in a hencmen group, give them clubs aswell and use them aggresively.

BLloyd607502
17-06-2007, 08:38
Okay, I just Cannot disagree with a bunderbuss. Their ace.

MadHatter
27-06-2007, 07:55
Dagger! they are cheep and can be just as effective as anything costing more. Otherwise I like Bows and Magic.

Inquisitor Konig
07-07-2007, 00:22
My favorite is the Blunderbus but in the hands of a Dwarf Engioneer!!!
Range 20" Bitches!

Khorghan
15-07-2007, 01:23
Brace of dueling pistols

TKitch
16-07-2007, 21:34
eshin fighting claws.

add AoSD and you're golden.

False_Keraptis
25-07-2007, 23:54
Shield. Yep, I know it's not the best choice, but no self-respecting dwarf is going to dual-wield unless he's a slayer.

Sizzling Gromril
27-07-2007, 20:23
The blunderbuss. I under-estimated it once.... Everybody's dead now.

Inquisitor Konig
28-07-2007, 08:14
The blunderbuss. I under-estimated it once.... Everybody's dead now.

you forgot to add that 6" engineer range;)
p.s. good choice

Sizzling Gromril
29-07-2007, 11:22
you forgot to add that 6" engineer range;)
p.s. good choice
I said to myself: "What idiot is going to pack his men so tightly into a line and let a blunderbuss rip through them?"

Well, I was that idiot. :p

savage_&_proud_of_it
05-08-2007, 20:49
i take two spears to give me plus two attacks when i get charged you can do it its evil...

Catferret
05-08-2007, 21:18
i take two spears to give me plus two attacks when i get charged you can do it its evil...

No you can't. Check the updated rules.

Bugtor
11-08-2007, 05:52
I've got to stand up for the crossbow on this one. Range 30 and S4 are just savage - especially when S3 bows seem to bounce of ogres, orcs, and dwarves!

Inquisitor Konig
11-08-2007, 07:36
why is the handgun soooo bad?

liggu
22-09-2007, 06:18
my faviroute weapon combo is from my marienburger warband, the captain has the look of a 17th-18th century duelist, with a sword and a dueling pistol, a long sleek stylised barrel and grip, and a fencing style rapier sword, it looks mint.

NeonWraith
22-09-2007, 12:34
I'd say the crossbow.

I mean, yes, handguns are nasty and all but there's hardly any armour in Mordheim so they're a little pointless. Thus, crossbow ftw.

commandergabriel
28-09-2007, 15:28
My favorite weapon is the hammer. I'll usually have, at least one member in my warband, armed with 2. If you can't get a OOA then your odds of keeping your opponent down and extra turn is golden.

McMullet
28-09-2007, 16:08
In close combat, I'd go for the hammer - it's cheap and effective. Add a sword when being used by heroes and you have a nice mix of offence and defence.

For shooting, Duelling pistols are indeed nice, if a tad pricey. Blunderbusses are great the first time you use them, but regular opponents will soon get the message and stop lining their troops up. ;) I like longbows as they're pretty cheap, and being able to move means you can get away with using your marksmen for close combat (accept it, they're going to get +1 S or +1 A for their first advance... :p). Crossbows are probably the best ranged weapon though; they're long ranged with good strength, and well priced.

ThisnameIsNotPermanent
28-09-2007, 16:22
i have to say that my favourite weapon, above anything else, warhammer world, or real, is the sword. one of the most versatile weapons you will ever come across me thinks....:skull:

Boehm
28-09-2007, 17:58
Favorite weapon depends entirely on the situation ...ofcause that said, there are some weapons who are simply just supperior to others ei. Longbow vs. Shortbow ...

Gromril Hammer - cheap to buy just 12gc and with concussion & -1 armor

Ithilmar Spear - not quite so cheap, but +1 ini is really handy w. a spear !

Crossbow - excellent weapon for a guy with mediocre BS / M ...(since they wouldnt be able to hit anyway if they moved!) ei. such as dwarves.

Longbow / Elven Bow - excellent weapon for guys with high BS / M ...ei. such as elves.

Double handed weapon - excellent choice for a guy with 3+ attacks and strongman skill ...or alternatively a guy with 2+ attacks who is just used to take out downed charecters.

As I said ...all weapons have thier uses ...depending on the character and the tactical use of the character ...ei. is he a forward "linemen" meant to intercept/be charged instead of your more vulnerable heroes ...or is he standing back ready to countercharge ...not to mention who do u expect to fight against ?!?

holmcross
16-05-2009, 09:30
Two words: Sigmarite Warhammer.

Absolutely disgusting when paired with Strike to Injure and/or Mighty Blow. All but insta-death versus undead and daemon models to boot.

All for 15 GC. Steel Whips aren't nothing to sneeze at, either.

mweaver
16-05-2009, 14:32
The Siggie warhammer is about the best melee weapon going, but the question is about favorite weapons. I'd say for me it is the dueling pistol for reasons others have given. It is an extremely effective weapon for shooting and in melee, and you can make some cool-looking models with them. Speaking of which, the pistol arms in the pistolier plastic box work really, really well as dueling pistols. They are horse pistols, so they have long barrels, and are more slender than the Mordheim (Empire militia) pistols.

I do like a blunderbuss or two in a warband. Half the time they wimp out completely, but every so often you mangle a warband, and people tend to remember it - and big horde warbands are not as effective when they have to spread out.

I also like the elf bow, just because. And swords are classic.

Askil the Undecided
16-05-2009, 15:55
The Gromril dagger purely because it's utterly pointless.

mweaver
16-05-2009, 16:18
Well, sharpen it. Your guys need to spend less time whoring and drinking between trips into Mordheim, and more time taking care of their kit.

I'm pretty sure I put a gromril dagger on a treasure list for one scenario...

Askil the Undecided
16-05-2009, 19:22
Oh come on. Sharpen it? That was a setup that could have begat comedic gold.

holmcross
17-05-2009, 00:33
Is it legal to wield two Illithmar weapons to get +2 I?

For example, two Ilithmar maces to get +2 I.

Considering that would only cost 18 gold, it's hard to believe. It would then just be a case of getting the right availbility rolls.

mweaver
17-05-2009, 00:51
We've always figured that the ithilmar weapon only gives you +1 initiative with that weapon.

Ghod
17-05-2009, 01:11
Ranged Combat
Crossbow: My witch hunters never leave home without them
Dueling pistol: Just plain cool

Close Combat
Sword: Just plain cool and parry attacks is always fun
Mace: Simple, cheap and very effective

Honourable mentions
Hockland long rifle
Fighting claws

holmcross
17-05-2009, 01:31
We've always figured that the ithilmar weapon only gives you +1 initiative with that weapon.

Hmm, so if you ran two of the same weapon, both ithimar, you'd effectively have +1 I on all your attacks (base attacks + extra for a 2nd CC weapon)

Much more reasonable, but that's still pretty cheap for an extra I in CC.

Askil the Undecided
17-05-2009, 11:21
Read the description closely

"...grants it's user +1 Inititive in colse combat"

The weapon counts as normal, the wielder gains +1 I in combat.

So in theory yes you can take a second Ithilmar weapon and gain another +1 I, unless of course you take the most stubbornly obtuse possible reading of the rules and claim Ithilmar weapons grant only +1 I no matter how many you are using.

mweaver
17-05-2009, 15:33
Yes, a literal reading says that two ithilmar hand weapons would grant +2 Initiative; we choose not to play it that way. I suspect that our version is what was intended, but that isn't how the rule reads literally.

danny-d-b
17-05-2009, 16:15
on henchmen- clubs, I don't want them killing stuff (thats what the hero's are for) so have the henchmen club someone then have the heros stab you with swords and so on!

Askil the Undecided
17-05-2009, 17:21
How exactly does one strike with different wepons in different inititive order when dual wielding?

mweaver
17-05-2009, 17:59
Well, we rarely use ithilmar weapons, and when we do the +1 initiative often doesn't matter. But let's assume an I3 guy (A) with a normal axe and an itilmar sword is fighting an I4 guy (B). There is a roll-off, and the A guy wins. So it would go A strikes with ithilmar sword, B strikes with his weapon(s), then A strikes with his axe. Not particularly complicated, and it avoids the weirdness of the rule that says because A's sword is really swank, he also strikes faster with his axe.

Askil the Undecided
17-05-2009, 19:14
This system works fine until you consider the case of an Ithilmar weapon dual wielded by someone with more than one attack.

Seeing as dual wielding works by making a single attack with one weapon and then the rest with the other.

What if A wanted to use his Ithilmar sword to make his two attacks rather than his axe because his opponent wasn't weaing armour (thus the axe having no extra effect) he'd have to strike with his Axe at I3 before he could make his two I4 Ithilmar sword attacks.

Thus an "Ithilmar weapon grants the wielder +1 Inititive in close combat" rather than counting that particular weapon at +1 I.

mweaver
17-05-2009, 20:51
"What if A wanted to use his Ithilmar sword to make his two attacks rather than his axe because his opponent wasn't weaing armour (thus the axe having no extra effect) he'd have to strike with his Axe at I3 before he could make his two I4 Ithilmar sword attacks."

??Why would he have to make the axe attack first?

Askil the Undecided
17-05-2009, 23:42
Because the combat system is set up so you make your first attack with one weapon and the remainder with the other.

In my example "the remainder" are I4 whereas the single attack preceding them is I3.

In short "grants the wielder" does exactly what is says and behaves in the same way a magic spells with the same wording. If things were intended your way the wording would be "attacks made with this weapon" as per the cutting edge or Gromril rules.

mweaver
18-05-2009, 00:06
Me: "Why would he have to make the axe attack first?"
Askil: "Because the combat system is set up so you make your first attack with one weapon and the remainder with the other."

Yes, but you choose which weapon you want to make the multiple attacks with. See the online handbook, page 19:

Some maniac warriors carry two weapons, one in each hand, so they can rain a flurry of blows on their enemies. A warrior armed with two one-handed weapons may make 1 extra Attack with the additional weapon. Note that this is added to the total of the warrior’s attacks after other modifiers, such as frenzy, have been applied. If he is armed with two different weapons (sword and dagger, for example), he will make a single attack with whichever weapon he
chooses, and all others with the remaining weapon." [emphasis added).

So, logically, he would choose his multiple attacks for the ithilmar sword and his one attack with the axe, so in the hypothetical example above it would be A's attacks with the ithilmar sword, B's attack(s), then A's attack with the axe.

Askil the Undecided
18-05-2009, 09:50
Making a weird two turn combat needlessly complicating the combat and roundly ignoring the letter of the rules.

Do you not think it would have mentioned it if it was the only case in which a model splits his attacks to be both before and after his opponent's?

"Grants the wielder" does exactly what is says and behaves in the same way a magic spell with the same wording. If things were intended your way the wording would be "attacks made with this weapon" as per the cutting edge or Gromril rules.

mweaver
18-05-2009, 12:12
"Making a weird two turn combat needlessly complicating the combat and roundly ignoring the letter of the rules."

We can handle it, and yes.

Askil the Undecided
18-05-2009, 14:20
Fair enough, I'm fine with your way as long as your happy with it.

I won't play it that way and don't believe it's what the rules say or intended but it's cool we're all intelligent beings here.

Keller
19-05-2009, 17:20
My favorite weapons?

Ranged:
Crossbow: Powerful S4, great 30" range. Perfect for someone climbing to snipe enemies with.
Normal Bow: Only S3, but can move and shoot quite nicely. Cheap to boot. Great for a mobile warrior/band who wants to augment its power with a little ranged superiority.

Combat:
Hammer: 2 Gold for extra stun chance? Yes please. Nearly all of my warriors get 1 hammer.
Rapier: Not super effective, but I just really like them. Perfect for my poncy-Marienburgers, aristicratic Vampires, or gentleman Witch Hunters. A luxury, but I prefer them over regular swords.

Overall Favorite Weapon:
Dueling Pistol or Brace for faster shooting. Hit hard, gives you a nice ranged attack, added bonus to hit. The only drawback is the lack of a parry, which can be corrected w/ a sword.

Thornz
20-05-2009, 05:03
Blunderbus .... owwww

Rytter
20-05-2009, 08:35
Hi all,

There are a lot of these weapons I can't find in my rulebook. Are they released through town cryer? And is there any way to find them online?

Regards Rytter

Ultimate Life Form
20-05-2009, 08:42
Yes, it was in Town Cryer. You can download them here. Happy searching. Thanks again Svenn.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197091

Or you could take the easy route and look here...

http://www.mordheimer.com/articles/master_equipment_list.htm

spetswalshe
20-05-2009, 16:20
For Skavenses - sharp bits and fightin' claws and stabby, stabby knives. For Mercenaries and Merchant Caravans - crossbows and a nice, heavy sword for when cash is short and they boys are looking like desertion.

whiskeytango
20-05-2009, 20:02
cant beat the club. Its the 2nd cheapest weapon, and has an arguably better effect than even a sword, which costs more than 3 times as much. However, my favorite armament is a rapier and brace of dueling pistols, because that combo has "class" written all over it.

mweaver
20-05-2009, 20:06
Style is important.

whiskeytango
20-05-2009, 20:10
agreed. Oddily enough, i've never played as marienburgers.

rain9441
20-05-2009, 21:17
Throwing knives are one of my favs. 3 of those beasts at strength 4 with no modifiers can get ya quite the bang for your buck. It's a great addition to a melee specialized hero who can't charge because all you need to invest is one skill (even BS 3 is plenty good).

mweaver
20-05-2009, 23:11
I have only recently (last year or so) run a Marienburger warband. They are pretty fun. I even painted up one of those poncy Foundry Renaissance Ogres for their ogre bodyguard henchman.

Lord 0
21-05-2009, 02:24
For my Marienburgers:
Double-barrelled hunting rifle for ranged. Excellent for shooting past screening henchmen. Bit pricey though, so not seen on the field as much as I would like.

Duelling pistol and Ithilmar Rapier for close combat because, as has already been stated, that combo is pure class.

mweaver
21-05-2009, 03:56
You had to mention an Ithilmar rapier, didn't you? Now my Marienburger captain insists that he has to have one.

Lord 0
21-05-2009, 09:15
Oh, not only Ithilmar, my friend. I saved the hilt from the jeweled sword* and attached the the hilt to the ithilmar rapier. What *I* have on my Marienburger captain is a jeweled ithlilmar rapier.

* Jeweled sword and dagger: (55) Overturned Cart, result 5-6.

mweaver
21-05-2009, 18:04
Would you stop that! You're upsetting Captain Nagy.

Keller
21-05-2009, 19:27
Throwing knives are one of my favs. 3 of those beasts at strength 4 with no modifiers can get ya quite the bang for your buck. It's a great addition to a melee specialized hero who can't charge because all you need to invest is one skill (even BS 3 is plenty good). Actually, it'd be 2 skills for most heros, since precious few warbands have access to throwing knives. Its a shame, I really like them too, but seldom bothing taking Weapons Expert, or whatever the devil the skill name is to allow all missile weapons.

For my Marienburgers:
Double-barrelled hunting rifle for ranged. Excellent for shooting past screening henchmen. Bit pricey though, so not seen on the field as much as I would like.

Duelling pistol and Ithilmar Rapier for close combat because, as has already been stated, that combo is pure class.
Yikes! A double-rifle would cost what? 400 GC?

The Ithmar Rapier does sound very nice! A Gromil one wouldn't be bad to negate the +1 AS it gives.

I really do need to paint my Marienburgers some time. They did well enough in their campaign to deserve that...

mweaver
21-05-2009, 23:07
We tend to forget about the +1AS the rapier gives; I don't know why. We don't use them all that often, though.

Lord 0
21-05-2009, 23:48
You probably forget about it because it so seldom means anything. With S4 from a level up and +1S from a diving charge (Scale Sheer Surfaces and Acrobat helps here) and even +1 from Dark Venom from time to time, you can just punch through the tiny amount of armour most people have anyway.

That being said, I must admit with the house rules we have for shields and the experimental new prices for armour more armour is turning up in the field. Not that it matters, the combo is still too cool to abandon for a mere +1 to the armour save.

The double-barreled hunting rifle costs 300 gc, so it takes a while to get. Makes very good use of Superior Blackpowder though. Double-barreled pistols are 30 gc.

mweaver
22-05-2009, 00:17
Never bought any of the double-barreled weapons. Our campaigns always seem to break up after six to eight games or so, by which point the more successful warbands are just reaching the point when they can start buying some luxury items. I don't think any of my warbands except for one dwarf band have ever hit maximum size, either.

Lord 0
22-05-2009, 00:26
Oh, I had a 75 gc ruby that my captain wore around his neck for +1 to rare trade rolls. I think it would look nicer mounted in the pommel of the rapier and perhaps some more stones for the scabbard...

Special message for Captain Naggy: Ner ner, ner-ner ner :p.

mweaver
22-05-2009, 03:51
Can't hear you, la la la la.