PDA

View Full Version : Too many tanks?

squilverine
12-06-2007, 15:43
I am a huge fan of the stuff that forge world produce, and regularly check their webpage for new models. However despite being an imperial guard player and a self confessed "tread head" I cant help but think that forge world are releasing a disproportionate ammount of imperial tanks whilst other races are getting nothing. What do you think?

Bookwrak
12-06-2007, 15:50
Forgeworld gets to do whatever Forgeworld wants, and IIRC, the 3rd Edition Imperial Armour was prefaced with something along the lines of, 'I loooooove me some tanks, and so now here are the tanks that I love."

Meanwhile, there's still plenty of other stuff. DKoK, Tau suits, tyranid rippers, nests, gargantuan creatures, flyrants, demons, aircraft, mutants, oh my!

bertcom1
12-06-2007, 15:54
Tau got stuff that was good enough to become codex units.
Orks get models for battlewagons where previously there were none.
Eldar got a Wave Serpent long before GW made one.
Tyranids get models for some units that GW don't make.

None of the Imperial or Chaos stuff has made it into the codexes, has it?

Imperial stuff is easy to design within the same theme of Imperial designs of big boxy things. Other races aren't as easy to design for.

There might be a lot of Imperial tanks, but how many of them do things a Leman Russ can't?

VanHel
12-06-2007, 16:36
*smacks the original poster* You can never have too many tanks!

jahorin
12-06-2007, 16:43
As the previous post says, you cannot have to many tanks! That's why there's a mechanized doctrine :)

Vogon
12-06-2007, 16:58
I think the telling thing is that all the books are called “Imperial Armour”. Each book has a nice big section of Imperial equipment and then a few of one other race. So for those that play Tau and Tyranids there’s probably no new stuff coming for a very long time as these books have now been done and resources have been put on to chaos and Aeronautica Imperialis

For us fantasy players things are even worse. The only thing that’s coming up in the foreseeable future is the Lord of Change and that’s a 40K/WHFB crossover anyway.

I personally don’t subscribe to the “they make what they want” vision of Forge World as in chatting about possible fantasy releases I was told the sculptors would love to do some more but they’ve been told to work on Aeronautica and The Siege of Vraks books and models by those in charge.

Cheers

Vogon

Templar Ben
12-06-2007, 17:23
Perhaps they meant FW will do what FW (as a company) wants not what some sculptors want.

Brother Loki
12-06-2007, 17:26
Yes, I think its pretty much they do what Tony Cottrell and Warwick Kinrade want. Forgeworld is largely their baby.

Destris
12-06-2007, 17:29
The sculptors basically get to pick what they want to do next.

If Tony and Warwick like it, then off they go.

D.

Gaebriel
12-06-2007, 18:17
Forge World is run by Trackheads, who are especially in love with everything WWI and WWII, if I recall the editorials correctly. So naturally they design most things around Imperial Guard/Humans who wage that kind of warfare subplanted into the 41th millenium.

Forge World is largely able to do what Forge World wants (ie not following the GW schedule), and they don't need to bring things for every race in equivalent numbers. The freefor all changes slowly with the Forge World themed books, but they won't make models just because >insert race here< didn't have any so far, but only because someone had that great idea.

Templar Ben
12-06-2007, 18:35
And they make a lot of money doing it that way. It works well for them because they need the smaller production runs since resin casting isn't the same as injection molding.

selfconstrukt
13-06-2007, 04:32
I would love to see more Tau vehicles. How about a Crisis suit with a smaller version of the Ion Cannon!

But then again, I don't play much, just paint the models, and Forge World makes some very detailed and challenging models to paint.