PDA

View Full Version : Starting Dark Elfs, Need Info

Snoozer
12-06-2007, 18:46
So a friend of mine is probably going to start collecting a warhammer army quite soon, because... well I told him to do so... anyway, he really liked the look of the Dark Elf miniatures (which ARE really good looking), but I was wondering that when the Dark Elves get looked into after the High Elves (presumably) what models do you think are going to be re-made?

Aslo he won't be buying a whole army at once, but slowly building it unit by unit, so what do you recommend starting with?

I just have a feeling that when the dark elf miniatures get re-made they get plastics to all the units that my friend spend a lot of money building with blisters :skull:

:D

Valkyrie
12-06-2007, 19:12
corssairs, some chars, and.... some cavalry...

anyway... I wanted to say that u shouldn't really 'persue' someone to collect that army, because it looks cool. instead let the lose and check out what there are, and what is available... anyway... gd luck

TheWarSmith
12-06-2007, 19:16
As far as new models that would probably be coming out, I would THINK:

Cold one knights
warriors
corsairs
dark riders

GW is really trying to push all core choices into plastics to keep down the price. Really anything in the DE line is up for grabs, because their models are REALLY old and some of their metals are in dire need of remakes into plastic.

Snoozer
12-06-2007, 20:26
anyway... I wanted to say that u shouldn't really 'persue' someone to collect that army, because it looks cool.

I didn't tell him to collect a Dark elf army, I just told him to collect 'a' army, he chose Dark Elfs after reading most of the army books and looked at all the miniatures (it took him months :P)

But anyway do you guys think Corssairs, are better core troop choice than Spearelfs, and what do you think about Xbow's

Count Zero
12-06-2007, 20:50
its difficult to know what models will be replaced at this stage.

you can almost certainly put dark riders at the top of the list. a remake of the current plastic warriors in probable, corsairs are likely to be redone too, this would make the entire current core selection plastic. The reaper bolt thrower will probably be redone which would enable you to make the best part of a battalion.

Of the current model range i would feel executioners and black guard are the most likley to remain unchanged. COKnights always seem to be redone. the witches could be in for a remake too. A few people think that the chariot will be rdeone.

I have no idea if the hydra or other 'big' models will be redone. Malekith probably will if he remains in the book.

Count Zero
12-06-2007, 20:54
But anyway do you guys think Corssairs, are better core troop choice than Spearelfs, and what do you think about Xbow's

at the moment spear elves are better due to lower cost for a main infantery block choice and ar better suiated to a defensive role. Corsairs are good flanker units with the 2 attacks per model and improved save v shooting.

both are useful in the army depending on who you are playing against or your tactics.

kyussinchains
12-06-2007, 21:27
I just hope they dont touch my beloved executioners... or just cast them up in plastic, if they are planning it I'll have to buy another 30 of the current models before they get altered!

sigur
12-06-2007, 21:43
As others mentioned before, it's likely that at least all the core choices are turned into plastic. On the other hand, your friend won't be able to avoid those units as well as Repeating Bolt Throwers.

The current miniatures of the DE range are beautiful. I'm not sure if they could do similarly amazing miniatures in plastic. So go ahead, friend of Snoozer, get some nice Dark Elves.

Just a little question on the side; which army are you going to start with Snoozer?

Snoozer
12-06-2007, 22:38
Just a little question on the side; which army are you going to start with Snoozer?

I have about 2.500+ points of Orcs and Goblins, and my brother has something like 1000 points of chaos (khorne), mostly beasts with few mortal units also, so those would be his main opponents.

edit: the reason I asked for help isn't because I'm new to Warhammer, it's just that I have never played against Dark Elfs and have been away from the hobby for over a year, so really don't know the latest rumors concerning what are going to be re-made :p

sigur
12-06-2007, 23:09
Considering you and your brother are already experienced players with quite new/strong armies, I have to mention that Dark Elves are a wee bit hard to win with, especially for beginners.

A neutral shade of black.
12-06-2007, 23:59
The penultimate DE starting force is two units of warriors (assembled 20 with shields, standard and musician + 12 with shields and musician so it can double up as a melee unit by reforming), five dark riders (crossbows and musician) and a character. From that, your friend can add shades, cold one knights, chariots, RBTs, etc. - either way, he has a solid core; and when he goes MSU, that unit of warriors can simply be split into two units of ten (he'll have to replace the standard with a musician, but that's not much of a problem).

Holy Crap! Manticores!
13-06-2007, 00:14
So a friend of mine is probably going to start collecting a warhammer army quite soon, because... well I told him to do so... anyway, he really liked the look of the Dark Elf miniatures (which ARE really good looking), but I was wondering that when the Dark Elves get looked into after the High Elves (presumably) what models do you think are going to be re-made?

Aslo he won't be buying a whole army at once, but slowly building it unit by unit, so what do you recommend starting with?

I just have a feeling that when the dark elf miniatures get re-made they get plastics to all the units that my friend spend a lot of money building with blisters :skull:

:DFirst off, I will always reccomend starting an army in small chunks, say 500 pts at a time. With DE, you can never go wrong with Warriors and Dark Riders. They're Core, you'll need them regardless.

I don't know which models will be re-made, but honestly, aside from the Hydra, the current range is pretty sweet. If they can out-do this range, I'll be impressed.

A neat trick if you or your friend don't mind spending a little time, get some Glade Riders (box of 8 plastic kit, $35) and some green stuff might be an alternative to the $10-12 DR blisters, although it will take some time and effort.
at the moment spear elves are better due to lower cost for a main infantery block choice and ar better suiated to a defensive role. Corsairs are good flanker units with the 2 attacks per model and improved save v shooting.

both are useful in the army depending on who you are playing against or your tactics.Corsairs have some uses, not the least of which is as a missile screen, plus the two hand weapons make them potentially nasty on the charge.

TheWarSmith
13-06-2007, 02:01
I just hope they dont touch my beloved executioners... or just cast them up in plastic, if they are planning it I'll have to buy another 30 of the current models before they get altered!

I would HIGHLY doubt executioners would go plastic. They're some of the sexiest metal infantry models out there. Why do you think they're called sexecutioners? rules wise I'd expect a change, but that's not what this thread is about.

ashc
13-06-2007, 08:38
GW is really trying to push all core choices into plastics to keep down the price. Really anything in the DE line is up for grabs, because their models are REALLY old and some of their metals are in dire need of remakes into plastic.

As long as the plastics don't look crap.

Dark Elves have some of the most beautiful metal models in the entire warhammer range.

Ash

druchii7
13-06-2007, 10:17
I never use corsairs. only one unit, with one of the "two" standards

Glorfindel
13-06-2007, 10:42
I'd go with some basic warrior units a bolt thrower and a hero + sorceress or something; the basic warrior sprue give you nice extra bits you can use to convert stuff; If your friend is a handy bloke he might buy some glade riders and convert them to dark riders with the extra bits from the warrior sprue. For the warrior either spearelves or rxb warriors can come in handy, if you buy 2 boxes you can make a units of 20 spearelves and a unit of 10 rxb (you have two bodies left for converting stuff) This gives your friend the opportunity to use both and know what he wants in the future + those core units always come in handy. If he wants corsairs he might wait until new ones come out although I like the current ones, so maybe a small flanking unit of 10 would be nice. I think the metal range of the DE are very good looking so if your friend has the means in money I'd go for it :)

(people worry about the prices but metal models retain their value over time while used plastic is of no value anymore, if you ever wanna sell your models the metal ones will give you back some of your money, the plastic will be for the garbage can)

On a sidenote, I really hope they resculp the hydra. The handlers look really cool but I don't really like the hydra model.

maze ironheart
13-06-2007, 12:00
I would say they would make a noble or high born plastic kit and make the dark riders plastic and update the dark elf worrior box so their are 20 in a box and give it a battallion.I hope they get a release date soon because I to want to play with the dark elfs because i like the look of them as well.

Count Zero
13-06-2007, 12:04
isnt it more likely the DE warrior box will come down to 10 rather than up to 20

Col. Dash
13-06-2007, 12:29
Lol I am the other way around, I never field warriors unless its a much bigger game than I normally play and I need the points, in which case I have 30 crossbowmen painted and ready. Dark riders and corsairs are where its at, they are the archtypical DE units. I wouldnt think they would redo COKs this time around or the reaper since both were just redone last go round and look beautiful as is. Warriors and corsairs even though they were redone, I wouldnt be surprised to see some new ones, especially plasstic corsairs. DR I fully expect to be redone in a similar vein to glade riders. Hopefully we will get a better looking dragon and hydra, not that I use either since both look like crap currently. I agree with the above, hopefully they leave the executioners and black guard alone as they are two of the most impressive looking model types in the game as is.

Snoozer
13-06-2007, 18:15
Thanks for all the input, I have to give him all this info and he can then choose for him self how he wants to begin his army.

Thanks again

sigur
13-06-2007, 18:20
You're welcome Snoozer. I deliberately didn't post what units your friend should get first so he could work it out himself. Just for the sake of completeness, I'll post a link to the greatest DE- (and army specific) forum around: druchii.net (www.druchii.net)