PDA

View Full Version : 2000 points tournament Dark Elves.

Makaber
12-06-2007, 21:05
Hello.

In my ongoing effort to make posts with a little thought and effort behind them, I'll give you a brief backgorund of what this thread is all about. I've been enjoying moderate (and highly amusing) success with my beloved Witch Elf based Dark Elf army for some time now, proving my friends initial sceptisisms to shame. Therefor, I've decided to take it to the next natural level: "Dark Stormy Knights", the annual local Warhammer tournament.

However, this presents me with a problem. The first incarnation of the list included an Assassin, which is good for a laugh in the occational friendly game, but clearly not cost-effective in a serious context. The second incarnation thus ridded itself with the Assassin liability and got a unit of Mengil's Manflayers. A lovely unit, but also one that probably won't be allowed. So, I need to come up with an alternative way of spending around 250 points, in an extremely focused list with very little wiggle-room.

The list works by merit of the incredible hitting power of the Witch Elf units. Each one cranks out 22 attacks, with poison and reroll to wound, which usually is sufficient to win against enemy infantry. Everything else in the list is there to support the Witch Elves: The Dark Riders protect against baiting and provide flank charges, the chariots and cavalry provide the range needed to put pressure on enemy units, as well as providing high(er) strength attacks against enemies too heavily armoured for the Witches to deal with.

I've come up with two drafts I'm pretty content with, so now I ask you: Which one of the following lists do you think would perform best in a tournament setting, as well as general comments and suggested fine tuning. Bear in mind that the basic concept stands, so I won't change around too much on it. Also, all suggestions concerning Reaper Bolt Throwers will be ignored.

List A: "The Hydra".

Characters:

Highborn, cold one, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, shield, Seal of Ghrond, Blade of Ruin: 257 points.

Sorceress, 2 Dispell Scrolls: 140 points.

Core:

5 Dark Riders, musician: 97 points.

Special:

14 Witch Elves, full command, Manbane: 237 points.

Cold One Chariot, spears: 97 points.

5 Cold One Knights, full command, Warbanner: 215 points.

Rare:

Warhydra: 220 points.

Cauldron of Blood: 205 points.

1996 points total.

The Highborn goes with the Knights, to generate kills. I've given him a Sword of Ruin because I suspect it should work very well with the Cauldron (where the basic Strength 4 of the Lord is less of an issue), and help the Knights in their goal (destroy armoured units).

List B: "The Dragon".

Characters:

Highborn, black dragon, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, shield, Seal of Ghrond, Sword of Might: 508 points.

Sorceress, 2 Dispell Scrolls: 140 points.

Core:

5 Dark Riders: 90 points.

Special:

Rare:

Cauldron of Blood: 205 points.

1999 points total.

In this variation, the Highborn is put on a dragon, whos mobility should suit the list pretty well. Without the character in the Cold One Knights unit, they would struggle to generate enough CR to win fights, so I've replaced them with more chariots. Stupidity should be less of an issue with four of them, and they're also practical for bait-and-swich maneouvers.

RavenBloodwind
12-06-2007, 21:45
I like both but prefer the Hydra. One consideration would be giving the cold one knights that annoying Soul Shadows standard. I've been plagued by this thing a few times. A sizable unit of cold one knights that flee from charges only to immediately rally facing their chargers ready to return the favor in their turn? Nasty.

Additionally the knights provide more variety of utility and play compared to the quad-chariot approach.

Makaber
12-06-2007, 21:55
I love the Soul Shadows thing, but SoC stuff is probably going to be disallowed as well. I don't mind, because some of the lists don't lend themselves very well to a tournament setting, but it's a shame to lose out on all the cool stuff. But the line has to be drawn somewhere.

It's really awesome on a unit of Witch Elves, because nobody suspects them to flee. Consider. Savour.

mightygnoblar
13-06-2007, 00:15
id aslo go for the hydra as it looks a little more varied and flexible, also the four chariots in the dragon list will probably hurt any soft scores that you might be getting

laughingman
13-06-2007, 01:19
Dragon list is by far more scary, but just remember repeater bolt throwers suck, stick to your guns![dice0]

T10
13-06-2007, 10:04
The Dragon.

Try it.

-T10