PDA

View Full Version : Foundation Paint Problem

Drogmir
13-06-2007, 01:32
Am I the only one who find that if you open up your foundation paints completely. a gathered excess on the top of the lid begins to loosen and falls all over your desk?

Before I thought my bottles were leaking but now I open them up half way just to get paint.

Did any body else have to do the same :confused:

scarletsquig
13-06-2007, 02:07
It sounds like the usual ongoing saga of GW's paint pots not being very airtight or useful, despite new types being constantly released.

If they looked at the problem in a logical fashion, they'd realise that their very first range of round paint pots were the best - completely airtight, relatively easy to open, does the job.

Ever since the nightmare of the screw-top pots, I've been transferring all my paint into the old pots.

You can still buy the exact same empty pots from coat d' arms:

http://www.coatdarms.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1237&osCsid=7356a49f1c6304c7bea7a8f3498f048b

If the foundation paints start to dry up, they're going to be kinda screwed.. more pigment = more graininess and lumps.

Nurglitch
13-06-2007, 02:23
Vallejo paints come in handy-dandy pots with integral dripper that keeps the paint in and makes dispensing it much easier.

spaint2k
13-06-2007, 02:42
I had a horrible accident with a Vallejo bottle just last night actually. The dripper part was stuck to the inside of the cap, and as I unscrewed the cap I completely unscrewed the dripper from the bottle as well. I didn't notice and tipped the bottle to my "palette" (an old blister pack) and half the bottle of paint gushed out everywhere.

Steve

violenceha
13-06-2007, 03:06
Am I the only one who find that if you open up your foundation paints completely. a gathered excess on the top of the lid begins to loosen and falls all over your desk?

Before I thought my bottles were leaking but now I open them up half way just to get paint.

Did any body else have to do the same :confused:
No, it's not the paints, you must be in the wrong hobby!:D
I must agree, haven't been happy with GW paints since the original citadel ones. And yet still I use them....... there's something wrong with me.

Drogmir
13-06-2007, 03:18
lol, Oh well. The Foundation Paint do make for brilliant Dry brushing though!

KITS AND BITS
16-06-2007, 19:33
i have checked and the foundation paints actually have a clip on the back of the hinge, if you open it fully it will click and the lid will be at an angle so the paint in the lid will stay in the lid in like a little well or if you half open the pot it will stay open and the paint will drip back into the pot because the lid had a longer scoop than the black lidded paints , they are actually really well designed posts , i think the other paints will get the same treatment in due course .
on a side note they do dry brush really well and they also air brush well too .
vallejo are very good also , do tend to seperate quicker that gw paints though , i have put ball bearings in to my vallejo to get a better shake going on !

violenceha
17-06-2007, 00:13
ah, so they do, thanks Kits for pointing that out, I would never have noticed.

New Cult King
17-06-2007, 03:07
I really don't like the new Foundation pots - the paint itself is great, but the lids are very badly designed and remind me of the old 2nd Ed pots. For me, I have to constantly scrape dried paint out of the clip on the lid just to prop it open, and I find the lids leak terribly anyway...

Ah well, the paint is excellent for base coats either way.

The game is afoot
17-06-2007, 07:24
Thats what you get when you go for the cheapest common denominator made in China (read the label) paint pot option.
They should have kept to the original Cote d'Arms paint pots.

KITS AND BITS
17-06-2007, 10:43
Thats what you get when you go for the cheapest common denominator made in China (read the label) paint pot option.
They should have kept to the original Cote d'Arms paint pots.

have you even read the post ?, the pots are great you just need to know how to use the pot ,if you use them right they are the best pots on the market .
and the original cote darms paints pots had problems like lids snapping on opening and spraying the contents everywere because they could be a bitch to open .

seriously the foundation pots are great , dont take my word for it try them , find the clip on the hinge and see how well designed they are its got two settings ,you can have lid paint drips back in the jar or paint stays in the lid like a well (good for watering it down) plus the box set comes with a pallete

Cypher
17-06-2007, 11:16
The problem is that the paint pools on the underside of the lip, and the centre of this pool is actually behind the edge of the rim. Basically either let the paint drip back in after opening, or just run your brush over the underside of the lip, to avoid the pooling.

If the lip was another 5mm longer, it wouldnt be an issue though.

KITS AND BITS
17-06-2007, 11:23
The problem is that the paint pools on the underside of the lip, and the centre of this pool is actually behind the edge of the rim. Basically either let the paint drip back in after opening, or just run your brush over the underside of the lip, to avoid the pooling.

never had this happen ?is it all the pots or just one ?

ashc
17-06-2007, 11:55

This is absolutely true.

I thought GW, P3 and Cote D'arms were all using the same paint pots anyway, considering the paint is all manufactured by the same company (Cote D'arms).

Ash

Destris
17-06-2007, 12:00

QFT. Happens to me too.

D.

PS: @ Kits and Bits: Could you possibly work on your grammar a little? You're giving me a migrane. If you're dyslexic or something I'll let you off though. :)

Wintermute
17-06-2007, 14:57
This is absolutely true.

I thought GW, P3 and Cote D'arms were all using the same paint pots anyway, considering the paint is all manufactured by the same company (Cote D'arms).

Ash

P3 and Cote D'arms are made by HMG Ltd in Manchester. Citadel Foundation Paint is made in Shanghal and the rest of the Citadel Paints are made in France.

Templar Ben
17-06-2007, 15:54
So will they keep that silly rubber top to Foundation sets only? I really hate those tops.

The best ones were the old school tops that didn't have a pop top and instead were screw off only lids.

KITS AND BITS
17-06-2007, 17:44
QFT. Happens to me too.

D.

PS: @ Kits and Bits: Could you possibly work on your grammar a little? You're giving me a migrane. If you're dyslexic or something I'll let you off though. :)

i am as it happens, but thanks for making me feel bad and pointing out my flaws to the community , maybe you would like to boot me in the nuts a few times while im on the floor ?

New Cult King
17-06-2007, 17:47
The best ones were the old school tops that didn't have a pop top and instead were screw off only lids.

I had serious problems with the paint gluing the screw lids to the pots. I like the current, normal non-foundation pot lids.

Wildkard
17-06-2007, 17:56
I had serious problems with the paint gluing the screw lids to the pots.

Quoted for truth...I lost count of how many pots of chaos black and skull white screw tops I had to throw out!

But I do have to say that the original flip lids where the best (the ones from the tall round pots), but the foundation lids are certainly better than the flip lids on the normal paint pots which just result in paint dripping all over the rim and turning into a spongy mess when it dries!

The game is afoot
17-06-2007, 19:53
Citadel Foundation Paint is made in Shanghal.

.... and thats not all thats going to be made in China if GW can hang in there for long enough.;)

The game is afoot
17-06-2007, 20:31
,TGIA's jumped into a completely unrelated painting thread spreading anti GW sentiment about foundation paints and his statement is completely without evidence.

Here is what I wrote.. verbatim.

"Thats what you get when you go for the cheapest common denominator 'made in China' (read the label) paint pot option.
They should have kept to the original Cote d'Arms paint pots."

How is this spreading anti-GW sentiment, and how is it lacking in evidence.
GW has gone to China to get their products cheaper than anywhere else.
Some folk are having problems with the lids getting a thick crust on them.
End of story...
I think you have issues with me.

Destris
17-06-2007, 20:40
i am as it happens, but thanks for making me feel bad and pointing out my flaws to the community , maybe you would like to boot me in the nuts a few times while im on the floor ?

Boot you in the nuts? Sure, why not. :eyebrows:

As I said, if you're dyslexic, it's no problem, read my post properly before having a go at me. It was a friendly statement, nothing more.

If you want to chat more, PM me.

D.

Bolter Bait
22-06-2007, 20:44
I haven't had the drip yet but when I opened up my new box, several of the jars ALREADY had dried paint crust built up in the lip of the lids and, I repeat, they were straight out of the sealed boxed set.

*sigh* Although apparently other people think that flip-top jars are a good idea, since the P3 line is in them as well. At least my local Hobbyworks just started offering empty Vellejo bottles so maybe I can transfer the Foundation paints over before the dry up in 6 months.

The game is afoot
22-06-2007, 21:41
I haven't had the drip yet but when I opened up my new box, several of the jars ALREADY had dried paint crust built up in the lip of the lids and, I repeat, they were straight out of the sealed boxed set.

OMG !!! :eek: thats out of control.

grickherder
22-06-2007, 21:51
*sigh* Although apparently other people think that flip-top jars are a good idea, since the P3 line is in them as well.

None of my p3s have any problems. The flip top is made of a soft plastic that seals well and doesn't really form any sort of crusty bits.

Now GW's fliptops, aren't they are hard plastic that paint sticks to easily? Doesn't that mean that as soon as there is a little bit of paint on them, there'll be a problem sealing?

Shocking that it was light that right out of the sealed package though.

My favorite two paint brands are the P3 paints and Reaper Master Series. I also have a large amount of Vallejo. I do appreciate the dropper bottles but like the soft flip tops as well. I have never had any use for GW's paints since they switched from Coat D'Arms.

Bolter Bait
23-06-2007, 02:54
The current Citadel paints have a hard plastic top, the Foundation paint lids are slightly softer (but not rubberery, just softer). Though some of the colours don't actually seem to want to stick to the lid. I went through and painted on a little dab of each colour on the little protruding "bubble" on the top of the lid and half the colours creeped back to the center and didn't stick evenly. Hopefully, this means that the hanging trough won't get too gunked up shortly after I start putting them to heavy use (to paint my new Cryx starter group *laughs*).

Mahwell Skel
25-06-2007, 13:13
I bought my first pot yesterday so have had no chance to use it yet.

I do however have loads of pots from 20 years ago that still have workable paint. My review of GW pots through the ages:

Citadel Colour Era late 1980s

The lip does not drip and holds just enough for what you need. Now the metallic ones are knackered as the metallic bits seem to group together on the sides leaving a blueish clear is liquid in the centre.

The smelly primer is dead as is the white. Incidentally the foundation paint I bought has a whiff of smelly primer!

The ink pots were nice also for just a drop at a time.

Screw tops

Stuck together. I am a roleplaying/wargames geek. I do not rip phone books up with my bare hands and therefore cannot get into these pots any more.

Black flip tops

Ok but the lip holds too much drips and dries quickly.

I am with some other posters as IMO the first was the best.

Charax
25-06-2007, 14:00
I have a good mix of paint pots, at least one of each type of GW paint except foundation, as well as a P3 Cryx set.

My favourite so far is either the P3 set or the GW hard plastic flip-tops. My experience of both is rather good, although the GW ones tend to dry out very quickly, and about half of mine have seperated into a clear oily gunk and a paste-like pigment. Not that that's a bad thing (the pigment-paste is great for mixing or drybrushing)

I have nothing but good things to say about P3, far better than any GW paint I've used except for Chaos Black, which is the best undercoat I've used.