PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to buying models?

Annubis
13-06-2007, 03:02
Anyone ever buy models just to buy them? I have like 3k of BA, 80 not painted, a little unassembled. Second is my Tau at about 1400 which I was planning on making my primary army at one point. Then I talked to a guy who wanted to trade my Tau for orks, so I bought some ork stuff. Deal fell through so I went back to Tau. NOW, I found my Ork 'dex and am thinking about getting up to like 1k-1200 points. That does not even start to count my Fantasy. Anyone else ever do this?

Vic
13-06-2007, 03:03
Guilty. Took me 15 years to get my box of RT Beakies painted up and flocked.

Dribble Joy
13-06-2007, 03:06
If I had the money I probably would.

SamaNagol
13-06-2007, 03:09
Sometimes I do.

I really shouldnt.

SupremacY
13-06-2007, 03:11
sigh* talking about buying models, Does ANYONE know someone willing to sell a squad of 10 BA DC with Jump packs, awesome paint job to?? lol yeah im addicted to

Drogmir
13-06-2007, 03:12
happens whenever I buy box sets.

Gaius_Baltar
13-06-2007, 03:17
Well, I have tonns of IG infantry unbuilt and unpainted. 3.5 boxes actually...
Well, one I baught because I neede more infantry, one was at boxing day at a rogue trader, one was durring an auction at the local GW for $32, and one was from a battleforce I won in a GW tank conversion contest.

liquiddream78
13-06-2007, 03:39
Yup, I have this affliction also. I spend most of my money on figs or anything to make them better. Right now I have 2500pts of Necrons, 3000pts of Tau, seven Blood Bowl teams, 800pt High Elfs and I am going to buy some SM for a Imperial Fists army I want to build up.

It gets real bad when I am at a store with the wife and I look at food as possible terrain features.

scarvet
13-06-2007, 04:02
Check my sign, thank good Oz doesn't have good price on models and I dont have a credit card yet

Ubercarp
13-06-2007, 04:09
I've managed to get my addiction in check, at least until I build and paint everything I have. I did pick up the BGB today though...

Tyra_Nid
13-06-2007, 04:14
Yep, I have this problem. What makes it worse is that my affliction extends primarily to FW stuff at the moment.

I have to force myself away from eBay and forum Buy/Swap/Sell areas.

RedShirt
13-06-2007, 04:16
I would say that I am....the 3000+ points of Dark Eldar, 4000+ pts of Dark Elves, and the 2500+ pts of Grey Knights unassembled (or opened in most cases) in my closet speak for themselves (and the soon to arrive models for my planned Blood Angel army just scream out my addiction that much louder)

BARON SAMDI
13-06-2007, 05:11
i have a + 3200 point tau battlesuit army and i am buying two forge world super heavy imperial tanks and a chaos warhound titan or a feral titan

cleansingfury
13-06-2007, 05:24
Oh god please someone help me... Every chance I get, I get something new, thats why I bought assault termis, but dont have a land raider yet. Same reason I bought my first 20 guardsmen, they looked cool...

BARON SAMDI
13-06-2007, 05:26
sort yourself out and save some money for some BIG spending (it is always good to feild a warhound)

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> <)
the bunny strikes again

Dark_Element
13-06-2007, 05:34
Where do I start:
40K -points values
5000+ of Dark Eldar (2500 painted)
4000+ of Orks (1000 painted)
3000+ of Blood Angels (2000 painted)
1500+ of Thousand Sons (500 painted)
4000+ of IG (1500 painted)
2000+ of Necrons (1200 painted)

Fantasy - points values
3000+ of Dark Elves (1800 painted)
2000+ of Orcs (700 painted)
2500+ of Beasts (100 painted)

So boxes and boxes of unpainted mini's.

I just love building and modding - painting is sooooo much more tedious.

-DE

Corporal Chaos
13-06-2007, 05:35
Guilty. I buy them because I like to build them and paint them on occasion. I just like to collect model paint play.:eek: :cool:

Alessander
13-06-2007, 05:39
I never spent too much money on new models, but i'm guilty of buying a stuff off ebay and from local game store consignment cabinets.... buying a LOT of stuff. I have no problems with older models.

Zealot
13-06-2007, 05:41
I have this tendency to think of a really interesting army idea, purchase said army, and then think of another interesting army, purchase said army, think of an interesting army...

So yeah, I have around 500 points of Skaven painted, and then 10,000+ points of Skaven, Tomb Kings, Dwarfs, Eldar, and Witch Hunters unpainted.

Luckily, I have been able to keep myself in check as of late. No big purchases so far this year. *knocks on wood*

But I am really interested in starting a Tyranid army...

SanguinaryDan
13-06-2007, 05:51
Yup. Every time I start a new army I come up with an idea for something for my Blood Angels. How the heck working on Tau gave me the idea for a Baal Predator conversion is completely beyond me. Then again I've had the same problem with Grey Knights, Iron Hands, Eldar, Chaos, IG and Armored Company. Do I really need 22 IG tanks (all but the 4 Chimera have at least some Forgeworld on them)? Probably not. ;) But that's not going to stop me from picking up a Macharius next week. Hmmm, I wonder how it would look in BA red?

cleansingfury
13-06-2007, 05:59
What is the best way to not buy models? And dont say dont bring any money or dont make money and be poor...

Ghilleman
13-06-2007, 06:27
I have "new army syndrome". At least I'm already treading the path of WAAAGH! so when the new codex comes out ,it won't be a total waste (money wise),

spaint2k
13-06-2007, 06:49
What is the best way to not buy models? And dont say dont bring any money or dont make money and be poor...

Get married.

Steve

cleansingfury
13-06-2007, 06:52
Get married.

Steve

If you are 15....

Spacker
13-06-2007, 06:56
Get married.

I tried it, doesn't work. I think I've spent more on 40k since I got married than in the previous 20 years! Damn FW!!! :p

Logarithm Udgaur
13-06-2007, 07:04
My name is Logarithm, and I am a recovering 40Kholic.

If you are 15 and do not want to get married yet, try a girlfriend, they tend to drain the pocketbook nicely.

cleansingfury
13-06-2007, 07:09
My name is Logarithm, and I am a recovering 40Kholic.

If you are 15 and do not want to get married yet, try a girlfriend, they tend to drain the pocketbook nicely.

Another problem, the girls I want to go out with are hot, are in band (which I am in), totally love me and if I asked would say yes, but are going to another school next year. So with 8 days till end of school year the girlfriend is not possible. Any other good ideas?

Remember during summer I want to buy more cause I have so much time...

Griffin
13-06-2007, 07:13
It's terrible - I wanted my chaos to be my main army, so bought a few hundred points, started painting, then started the Iyanden Ghost warriors, 3000+ points later a quarter of it unpainted, I start tyranids, 500 points later more eldar and now I;m looking at more stuff again.

*sigh* atleast we have something lasting from our addiction

*goes to drink paint and sniff glue*

Spacker
13-06-2007, 08:17
Don't think of it as an addiction! To me, it's an investment - not only do I get the joy of hoarding figures that I like, but I can be reasonably confident that 20 years down the line a lot of them will still be worth something, and for my box of "special stuff" I can be pretty confident that the second hand price will be way in excess of the original buying price (my Sgt Centurius, still in blister, that I bought at GD UK 98 for 5 is proof of that ;))

75hastings69
13-06-2007, 08:23
I do it all the time, I have 1000s of minis around the house unpainted MIB etc. and even more on the way.......

clovis
13-06-2007, 08:27
Get married.

Steve

I'm married! and the addiction didn't stop:p Everytime i go to the store i have to buy a box of Tau, CSM or SM. i CAN'T HELP MYSELF:cries:
So when i come back home i keep saying to my wife that i got lucky and won something at the store(i know lying is bad:eek: )

Crippler
13-06-2007, 08:32
I think I full into that catergory, but I am really trying to make the effort to get most of these items painted, check out my sig!!!!!

Harry
13-06-2007, 08:38
Hastings...Likewise..... 1000's.... More minis than anyone could paint in a lifetime. And still collecting. Girlfriends and wife even children have little impact on my addiction.

On a different point.

@Cleansingfury. You have a few short years to cram in as many pretty girls as possible. These are the memories that will keep you warm at night when your older. Ask. Some of the best love affairs of my life lasted less than 7 days. Now stop mucking about on the internet and get to it. :D

Brother-Hyuuga
13-06-2007, 08:44
I might be lucky that my job pulls me around the world. I have other things to spend money on and since i dont have many games the urge to keep buying things is smaller and smaller. Once i finish the Lizardman and that Tyranid army...

Darkseer
13-06-2007, 09:08
There's any easy way to stop buying stuff. Keep thinking how much of it you have to paint.

I'm sick of painting these damn things...

dblaz3r
13-06-2007, 09:33
well since I have been out of the hobby for quite a few years I now find myself overwelmed by the magnificence of the models available and spending alot of money as well. How can I not go into a store and come out with something to please my wallet gremlim. 4500 pts of dark angels and i just spent 600$nz on tyranids today. and thats just since january. I need a job pronto, my savings are disappearing fast.

Spacker
13-06-2007, 09:39
I think I full into that catergory, but I am really trying to make the effort to get most of these items painted, check out my sig!!!!!

Is that it?

Dark Angels ~ 9000pts
Eldar ~ 9000pts
IG ~ 13000pts (inc 6000+pts AC, 3000pts Airborne, the rest being DKOK and SL)
Chaos ~ 4000pts
Daemonhunters ~ 4000pts

And I have 1 SM terminator, 3 squads of SL, and about 10 CSM that I consider "painted" by my hand, with a further 3 squads of marines, 2 squads of Kasrkin, and a smattering of other figs painted that I got off ebay. The rest are either bare, undercoated, or have a rough base coat (camo on the tanks).

:p

dblaz3r
13-06-2007, 09:43
Is that it?
I think we have a winner

Spacker
13-06-2007, 09:50
I've been collecting 40k stuff on and off since 1989, but I only started IG 2 years ago (damn ebay, I kept talking myself out of it and then a load of tanks and Steel Legion starting appearing!). When I restarted 40k a few years ago after taking a break I had about 3000pts Marines and 2000pts Eldar, so I think I've spent quite a bit recently ...

Some of those points costs are boosted by big stuff though - Armorcast Baneblade, Shadowsword, and Macharius for my IG, Warhound Titan for Chaos, Vampire Raider for Eldar :)

Axel
13-06-2007, 09:52
I am a miniholic. I easily have 4k, not of points but of minis around, though the majority of them are (heretically) not GW. These do not, however, count the 400 Gretchen or the 1k of Warzone plastic soldiers. Talk about storage....

The boyz
13-06-2007, 10:02
When I was younger, I used to have the problem of buying stuff just for the sake of buying it. Particularly when it came to new releases or if I saw a miniature that I liked the look of. Now I am a fair bit older, I know longer, really, have this problem. I tend to just buy what I need and then try and get that painted before I buy something else.

Darnok
13-06-2007, 10:08
Anyone ever buy models just to buy them?

Yes. That's how I got half my collection. :D

Enderel
13-06-2007, 10:16
Hi all,

My names Enderel and I'm addicted to buying models as well. *waves*

6MM Epic is my main guilty secret with around 110,000 pts worth of various Imperial and Squat armies at NetEpic point values.. Mostly unpainted some even still in blisters and on sprue..

40k is the next stumbling block with around 9k Eldar (mainly unpainted) and 7k Chaos (all painted bar a terminator lord!)

I've just start Fantasy battle as well (Dwarfs) and have got 3k or so of them now.. (All painted)

So is this the start of a support group miniholics anonymous! :D

Harry
13-06-2007, 10:36
My name is Harry and I'm a miniholic and a Dwarf addict.

Is that it?

Dark Angels ~ 9000pts
Eldar ~ 9000pts
Chaos ~ 4000pts
Daemonhunters ~ 4000pts

Is that it! :D

I think we have a winner

You are kidding?

This bloke hasn't even begun to defile himself.
When you start talking about 1000's of minis rather than thousands of points then you have a problem. :D

rkunisch
13-06-2007, 10:52
Well, it is out of the question they I am addicted. I try to only buy the most important minis lately, but I am still buying more minis than I finish painting. Without saying, I still got ambitious plans...

And no, marriage does not change things. Even having children does not change the situation much (only that you got much fewer time to paint those minis) either.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Bloodknight
13-06-2007, 11:16
I always overspend and theres basically no month in which I do not buy figures.
I have a complete unpainted 3500P Dwarf army in the closet and a lot of unpainted stuff for the other 5 armies :)

Lindworm
13-06-2007, 11:24
I tend to just buy what I need and then try and get that painted before I buy something else.
That's the best thing to do I think. I bought a big (small compared to what everyone else here is saying) space marine army two year ago as a summer project... and, well. Two year later I am getting into it! But I realised I lack standard marrines and had to go out and get a tactical and devastator squad. But because all my marines have their special weapons I'll need more :(
Although when you live in the sticks it feels a waste to manage to visit the games workshop without going away with a little kit of something. It was a Tau Stealth Suit squad and some dice last time...

Crippler
13-06-2007, 11:48
Is that it?

Dark Angels ~ 9000pts
Eldar ~ 9000pts
Chaos ~ 4000pts
Daemonhunters ~ 4000pts

And I have 1 SM terminator, 3 squads of SL, and about 10 CSM that I consider "painted" by my hand, with a further 3 squads of marines, 2 squads of Kasrkin, and a smattering of other figs painted that I got off ebay. The rest are either bare, undercoated, or have a rough base coat (camo on the tanks).

No that is just what I have created army lists for, I also have Eldar, Dark Eldar, SW, DH and a Dwarf army that I have not even looked at. I also reckon I have about another 10k of space marines for my Ultras that I have not added yet, as I wanted to wait till I had painted them, then add them to my army!!!!!

But lets not get into the I have more than you eh!!!!

Mine are also a lovely shade of grey, well most of them anyway.

In fact I am not only addicted to stuff I am addicted to buying full stop, I have a 1k+ of dvds, that same in Records, PC/PS2 Games, 3 pc's etc....

Good job I am paid 300 a day to accomadate it all ;-0 I really need a shrink!!!!! If I stopped buying all this stuff, in a few years I could be a millionaire!!!!

Check this thread out to show it's true ;-) http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1646870#post1646870 nearly a thousand pound spent on cases for all the models!!!!!!!

Killgore
13-06-2007, 12:03
model buying addiction is a major problem

I did a head count of all my spacemarine models and I'v got anouth for the entire Ultramarines 2nd company and about 1/2 the 1st company and nearly 1/3rd of the 10th :O

but its so tempting to buy 2 boxs of Deverstators what am i going to do! i dont even collect spacemarines anymore

polomarko888
13-06-2007, 12:07
same here my bits box is hugge started skaven and IM DROWNING IN RATS GODDAMMIT ARGHGHGHGHG

so yeah not good.

Harry
13-06-2007, 12:11
No that is just what I have created army lists for, I also have Eldar, Dark Eldar, SW, DH and a Dwarf army that I have not even looked at. I also reckon I have about another 10k of space marines for my Ultras that I have not added yet, as I wanted to wait till I had painted them, then add them to my army!!!!!

But lets not get into the I have more than you eh!!!!

Mine are also a lovely shade of grey, well most of them anyway.

In fact I am not only addicted to stuff I am addicted to buying full stop, I have a 1k+ of dvds, that same in Records, PC/PS2 Games, 3 pc's etc....

Good job I am paid 300 a day to accomadate it all ;-0 I really need a shrink!!!!! If I stopped buying all this stuff, in a few years I could be a millionaire!!!!

Check this thread out to show it's true ;-) http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1646870#post1646870 nearly a thousand pound spent on cases for all the models!!!!!!!

For a man that does not want to get into I have more than you...

...that is a pretty good effort.

I was cracking a joke mate!!! Hence...:D I wasn't trying to be-little (sp?) you collection. Just hint at how bad things get to all the youngsters who don't 'Just say No'. My post was just a bit of fun. You may have read too much into it.

300 a day. Really!!! You must be a very special human being. A millionaire. WOW!

I won't bother checking you link.

That sort of thing does not impress me much.

spaint2k
13-06-2007, 12:26
Apparently someone didn't like my heroin joke. I suppose I should have added a disclaimer that I don't really advocate the use of drugs and that drugs are bad and in fact would NOT make a good substitute for buying toy soldiers (although it really might be cheaper in the long run). I would also like to say that heroin is not a legal substitute for GW products in ANY jurisdiction.

I find selling old models really helps - both in eliminating the guilt of having massive amounts of unpainted models lying around, and in eliminating the guilt of buying new ones (after all, the money I spent last year and partially earned back this year is pure profit, and gets ploughed right back into new figs).

Steve

Crippler
13-06-2007, 12:47
Apparently someone didn't like my heroin joke. I suppose I should have added a disclaimer that I don't really advocate the use of drugs and that drugs are bad and in fact would NOT make a good substitute for buying toy soldiers (although it really might be cheaper in the long run). I would also like to say that heroin is not a legal substitute for GW products in ANY jurisdiction.

I find selling old models really helps - both in eliminating the guilt of having massive amounts of unpainted models lying around, and in eliminating the guilt of buying new ones (after all, the money I spent last year and partially earned back this year is pure profit, and gets ploughed right back into new figs).

Steve

But surely you would never be able to claim the same amount of money back that you have spent? Unless they where still boxed or on the sprue???

spaint2k
13-06-2007, 13:05
But surely you would never be able to claim the same amount of money back that you have spent? Unless they where still boxed or on the sprue???

Ahem. Stop trying to destroy the illusory world I've built for myself. :)

Steve

Crippler
13-06-2007, 13:17
lol Thats one of the reasons that I have like LMA Manager 2004,2005,2006 and 2007, never going to play the older versions again, but I know I will never get back the same money for them so I horde!!!!!

Angelwing
13-06-2007, 14:19
The thought of my wallet screaming puts me off buying models (must pay those bills first!)
However, if i see something i really like, i buy it.
I also have rather too many tyranids, and still have a few bits to pick up to complete the collection. And then new stuff will be released......;)

Spacker
13-06-2007, 14:29

For really old figs, where I might have paid say 3.50 for 2 or 3 figs in a blister, selling them for more than that is pretty easy in most cases. It's even better for the limited edition stuff - as I pointed out, the Sgt Centurius I bought for 5 new will fetch way more than that, I've recently seen them go as high as 60 for one in a blister. Even easier is to make a profit on my Eldar Aspect warriors - most of them I got free with a WD sub (yes, FREE!, back when GW used to do decent incentives for a sub).

As I got a lot of stuff off eBay, I'm quite likely to get most if not all of what I paid out back as the models are becoming more in demand. Given that a squad of 10 legion of the damned from GW MO, right now, is 56 how much would you be willing to pay for them? I paid 20 for my squad, so even if I sold them for 50% of current RRP I'd be in the black.

The 2nd hand 40k market is pretty good, if you bought most of your stuff years ago or bought it second hand already. It especially helps if you buy large lots - I got 7 IG tanks for 60 in one auction, parted out I'd have no trouble getting 10 to 15 for each of them as they're all in good condition (and the ones that weren't have been stripped and rebuilt ;)). Also I've picked up rarities as part of larger lots - like a 2nd Sgt Centurius who cost me a paltry 3 because it was thrown in with a B5 spaceship and the photo wasn't great, but it was enough for me to realise what it was :evilgrin:

Egaeus
13-06-2007, 15:30
I don't buy them "just to buy them"...there's always a reason...typically that they are going to be part of my army or build a unit that I can use with my army. But since I haven't painted anything in quite a while it does feel like I'm just "buying to buy", my latest purchases being a Dark Angels Battleforce and Ravenwing Battleforce (when my Marine army uses the Black Templars rules!)

Captain Micha
13-06-2007, 15:31
We play warhammer 40k... tell me, how can you play it and -not- be addicted to buying new minis?

*has plans to get that megaforce soon... and more assault termies... yes more. oooo and maybe a sky ray, or a second monolith... or maybe start up my ig.... *see what I mean? *L*

Annubis
13-06-2007, 16:39
I started marines back in 95 I believe, fantasy before that. I had the 2nd edition box, bought all three marine codexes. Settled on BA over DA and SW. Then shortly after here comes 3rd ed. I traded the Dark Eldar to a friend for his box set marines. I have almost all of my BAs assembled, cept a few rhinos a friend of mine sent me. They're all base coated red or black(DC), Assault squads are missing heads, termies arms are painted, devestators weapons are painted. I move back home after college and all the people I know play marines. I hate marine on marine games. So that's when I took up tau. Then my best friend and his wife send me all of there stuff:
4K Skaven
4K orcs and goblins, 1/2 of it in boxes
3k Chaos Dwarves
Eldar Battleforce
4 rhinos, demolisher, assautl squad or 2, DA dread, about 8 termies
GORKAMORKA BOX SET!

So i was really bored one day and put all the gorkamorka stuff together and that's when i got the itching for orks. So, I bought the Dex and my Warboss, then got 3 bikes for 20 bucks off ebay, 2 buggies for around 30, a box of stormboyz fairly cheap.

Now, they guys I am going to be playing with are SM, DA and crons. Now i have the itching to buy orks again after seeing some of the stuff in the painting forum. How do I stop the urge to keep switching gears on armies ARRGGGGG!

It's comforting to know I am not alone=)

lvyoda
13-06-2007, 17:50
Wow, this is a great topic. I really have this same problem. I have been off ebay for 1 day. My hands are shaking as I type this. It is always the first thing I do when I get to work. Bartertown and the ebay. I have to delete things out to keep my watch list under 100. I have a huge problem with buying things.

We do a mega battle every May. Minimum of 2-2000 pt lists. Last year I did 3 Tyranid Monstrous creature lists (4 tyrants, 18 carnifex, genestealers, broodlord). This year, I was doing Iron Warriors (it got postponed until the fall). I was working on 2-2000 pt lists (18 oblits and 8 defilers).

I don't just buy, I buy crazy amounts. I did the same w/ flames of war. I ended up with 60 russian tanks and 40 german tanks, just for a one day demo game. I just spent $300 on Vor stuff. I mean, the game has been out of print for 15 years and nobody plays it. I still don't know why I bought it.

My GW addiction only goes back to 1999. In that time, I have bought, painted and sold so many armies I don't even remember them all. I have only been back in GW hardcore for about 4 months and just completely painted my deathwing/ravenwing army for the LVGT. I am currently working on:

Death guard - actually not alot of stuff. I am working on buying/trading for a huge lot
Lost and the Damned - have 50 mutants (plague zombies) and working on more, tons of traitors, 2 tanks, sentinels and spawn
Lysander Wing - full list, lysander, 5 squads w/ fw shoulder pads, scouts and tac. marines
Generic marines - 30 assault marines, tac. marines, scouts, 40 termies (that I know I can't use)
Templars - 3 lr crusaders, termies and tons of troops
Iron Warriors - wow, lots, 18 oblits, 8 defilers, vindy, predator, basalisk, lr, bunch of troops
Emperor's Children - full army all w/ sonic weapons, fw dread, daemonettes and mounted daemonettes
Cadian Drop troops - about 100 plastics
Catachans - again, not too much, about 100 plastics and 30 or so metal special weapons
eldar - working on a mechanized list w/ maxed out wave serpents and falcons
tau - again, working on a mechanized list w/ maxed out devilfish, suits and hammerheads
Ogres - tons of bulls, iron guts, hero's, giant and fw rhinox riders
Empire - working on a huge gunline
Dark Elves & Cult of Slaanesh - I just traded for a ton of dark elves. Cold one riders, mounted daemonettes, warriors, witches, shaded and dark riders. On a side not, this is my 5th time working on Dark Elves. They were my first fantasy army. I buy them, start on them then sell or trade them. They get closer to being complete each time. Maybe this time I will be able to finish them up.

I have working on blood angels/flesh tearers, orks (I had probably 6000 pts plus armorcast gargant and 2 epicast stompas all of which I sold last year), 2000 pts of painted grey knight (pure gk w/ 2 fw dreads again which I sold last year), IG, Space wolves, Beast of Chaos (which I sold and then rebought from the same guy), night goblins, Orcs (which I literally had $6000 worth in retail and was actually offered a car in trade), chaos so many times it's sick. I had a sweet mechanized sisters list, immolators, rhinos, special excorcists all w/ the sisters extra armor, 60 sisters, serephim, bunches of the cultist guys (again, I sold this off last year).

I have actually only played a handful of games in the last 2 years. 5 games at the LVGT (oops, I forgot to mention my Dark Angels) and 1 mega battle game last year. Other than that, it's basically been probably 5 years since I played on a regular basis. We have a good group of guys and a regular place to play, but I just was into collecting not playing (or even painting for that matter).

The worse part is there are 2 people our group who probably have waaaaaaay more than me. We are know as the Lords of Excess for a reason I guess.

Rick

Harry
13-06-2007, 18:14
Now were talking! Now this is a man with a problem! :D

Hi Rick, your amongst friends. Pull up a seat and thanks for sharing. :D

rintinglen
13-06-2007, 18:47
Get married, get a girl friend, get a real job. All of the above are time sinks of the first order, to which I might add get addicted to a new computer game.
My own addiction, for which I am going through white knuckle withdrawal is Space Marine Scouts. I currrently have 109 painted and several yet to feel the brush.

lvyoda
13-06-2007, 18:49
Yeah, I am going through withdrawls. I need my ebay fix. I deleted out all my watched items yesterday and paid the last person I owe money to. Must save money and stay away. I wish I could block myself from there.

Lindworm
13-06-2007, 19:14
Anyone ever buy models just to buy them?
I really want that new wraithlord model, because it looks so cool. So perhaos when I have painted and assembled more of what I have, I could allow myself such a luxuary.

ork bork tork waaaagh
13-06-2007, 19:32
oh my god ive bout things for every 40k army nearly and i dont even play fantasy but i buy it. im addicted so bad. ive got sprue lying about and regularly find pieces of guns in the bottom of my feet lol.

Templar Ben
13-06-2007, 19:34
I am not addicted. I can quit anytime I want.

Hlokk
13-06-2007, 19:43
My best friend Al has 400 Space Marines, 400 guardsmen, a crapload of chaos stuff, a massive empire army, loads of tau and loads of other stuff and he never stops buying. The lads at GW York must love him. :eek:

the1stpip
13-06-2007, 19:43
At the moment, I have very little money, so it is doing me a favour in one sense, as I have to paint up what I already have.

Problem is, I want to get on with my IG, LatD and C Dwarf armies, but I know I have to finish my old armies first...

victorpofa
14-06-2007, 00:18
I recognized my addiction months ago. I check ebay daily. Sad but true.

2500+ Points of Necrons mostly painted.
3000+ points of Space Wolves mostly painted.
2000+ points of Orks mostly bought pre-painted off ebay.
2000+ points of Dark Eldar - Nothing is assembled or painted.
1500+ points of Dark Angels - Army Box and DA Battleforce
1000 points of Blood Angels (Leftover marines and Jump Troops repurposed to take advantage of the new WD codex).
2000+ points of Ravenwing still on sprue (3 Battleforces plus 6 more bikes, 2 landspeeders, Chaplain on Bike, and Sammael on Jetbike).
2000+ points of Eldar - Army Box, Old Battleforce, and 30+ Harlequins (one new box and many classic ones).
~500 points of Tau (Crisis Suit, 12 Firewarriors, Ethereal, and Kroot Shaper)
~500 points of Tyranids (Battle of Macragge 'Nids and Old One Eye)
~500 points of Chaos (4 Khorne Juggernauts, 8 Berserkers, 3 Sorcerers, and a Lord of Change)
~150 points of Imperial Guard (Chimera, 2 Sentinels)

I will be unemployed for the summer so I will be giving my glue and paints a workout and I have enough to keep me busy for years :cool:

Lord Cook
14-06-2007, 01:09
mI did a head count of all my spacemarine models and I'v got anouth for the entire Ultramarines 2nd company and about 1/2 the 1st company and nearly 1/3rd of the 10th :O

That's only about 180 models. It's when you have enough for the garrison of Cadia that you need to start worrying.

This thread must be GW sales marketing heaven. The amount of money they must have earned from just a small handful of people...

chiffmonkey
14-06-2007, 01:19
heh i love it that however addicted you are, there are people in FAR deeper. I tend to get cool conversion ideas for my one rhino on a daily basis. i reckon if i did a cross section it would go BT, BA, UM, BT again, DA, WE, GK, IW, UM

BARON SAMDI
14-06-2007, 02:26
im losing too much money from fw and gw that i could just scream im over $2500 already

chaos0xomega
14-06-2007, 20:44
2500 points of Necrons(ALL PAINTED! Just needs some touching up!)
3000 points of Tau(300 pts painted)
3000 points of Tyranids (250 pts painted)
1500 points of Eldar (none painted)
5000 points of Ogre Kingdoms (none painted)
2000 points of BFG Imperial Navy(none painted)
4000 points of various chaos (none painted)
120 points of IG armored company (none painted)
500 points of Witchhunters (none painted)
200 points of Airborne Guard (none painted)
200 points of Warmachine Khador (none painted)
150 points of WHFB Dark Elves (none painted)
And then there are various bits and pieces for another 4 or 5 40k armies... at least

I've finally conquered my 'buying disorder', more or less. Actually 40k did it for me. My bank account is down to only what some 200 dollars, I need to get a job...

One_Second_of_Insanity
15-06-2007, 00:44
I think i have it under control at the moment. i have a commitment not to buy anymore until it is all painted, of which is sadly a lot of models.

Tyranids- about 6000pts (1200 painted)
Deathwing-2500pts (all newly assembled and none painted but that will change very soon with tale of 4 painters)
Eldar-2200pts (none painted)
Tau- 1200pts (500 painted)
Orks- 1000pts (400 painted)

i have been clean since January

it should keep me busy for some time to come especially that i have over 150 gaunts to paint.

studderigdave
15-06-2007, 01:10
ive BEATEN the addiction. i used to troll ebay and btown for hours looks for a reason to start a new army. if i snagged an army for cheap i bought it on a whim, i did this for 10+ years, but after see that im NEVER gonna paint all of them i sold off half of my models, forced myself to only have 3 40k armies and 3 fantasy armies and to paint them and be done with it. now i have my nidz, 90% of my deathguard and 75% of my orks done. mu ogres and demo legion are done and i have 50% of my lizardmen done.

next year i plan on buying a few models to paint cuz i just want to paint them, but no more armies for me.

Khaardun
15-06-2007, 10:37
I got the problem of buying so much stuff, I got:

750 points of Night lords unpainted
500 points of Thousand sons unpainted
500 points of World eaters unpainted
1500 points of Black legion partially painted
1000 points of word bearers partially painted
750 points of iron warriors unpainted
500 points of emperors children unpainted
500 points of death guard unpainted
500 points of alpha legion partially painted

so yeah, and with the new chaos codex on its way, I need to get these models done before I can carry on.

Darkseer
15-06-2007, 10:41
After a massive overdose, it looks like I'm not buying any more armies.

Just need to finish what I have....

chromedog
15-06-2007, 12:03
I have a cure for it. I have a wife, and no job. Not from lack of trying. Someone posts a vacancy and 3000 people turn up - whether they are qualified for it or not.
She is a lovely wife, though. Gets me to paint up a figure for her every now and then. Gives me a monthly stipend to spend on models & stuff like paints, glue, etc. Some months are tight, and I get nothing, I haven't bought anything new in over 6 months (and only some 2nd hand stuff at easter.).

I've restricted myself to putting together and painting what I've got. I should have around 9-10,000 pts of marines when I'm done. I already have 8000pts+ of eldar (a lot of both armies are RT era stuff).

chaos0xomega
15-06-2007, 18:43
I promised myself not to buy anything new(aside from bits) until everything I have now is done(being assembled). I have yet to master up the courage to put up with painting it all.

Lindworm
15-06-2007, 18:49
You lot should try painting on the sprues, then assembling. I swear that it takes less time, feels less exhausting and although it requires a bit of touching up at the end - it looks really good.

DalekSek
15-06-2007, 19:25
Yes i'm afraid i am addicted to buying models! i currently have two Warhammer army deal boxes full of models waiting to be undercoated. 10 leman russ's on my desk, the warhammer buildings set and about 12 boxs of various types, Dark Angels & Ravenwing box sets. just bought sum more stuff from FW, and i know i'm getting a Chaos Warhound 4 xmas as well! It's my goal to have one army of both 40k and WF. i'm almost there. just missing High Elves, Dark Elves, Hordes of Chaos, Vampire Counts. and Orks and Dark Eldar. I just can't stop! They torment me! And i think my Tyranids are moving around at nite as well.

WilhelmRochRedDuke
15-06-2007, 20:07
< holding candle>
Hello My name is Tom, and I'm an addict..

Here is how I have limited myself... I can't buy more armies until I have the case to store them in.. and of course I just bought the huge army transport case.. WITH WHEELS!!..

I have 4 armies. 2 fantasy and 2 40K - so I have abou 5,000 pts Vampire counts and 3K Brettonnia and I have 3,000 withhunters and I'm building my IG army 2,000 pt list. Drop troop army - Forgeworld will enjoy my business.

BARON SAMDI
15-06-2007, 20:13
ifind that i am addicted to buying models my 5000 pts armys can show that

chaos0xomega
15-06-2007, 20:41
You lot should try painting on the sprues, then assembling. I swear that it takes less time, feels less exhausting and although it requires a bit of touching up at the end - it looks really good.

Yeah, it seems like it's harder to me. By painting on the sprue, you aren't painting the area where the piece and the sprue meet, meaning you have to repaint that part, plus the part that gets shaved away when you clean it. Not only that, but many pieces need some greenstuff work in order to get a nice clean flow to the model. This cannot be done without removing the pieces from the sprue.

That and the glue kills the paintjob IMO...

I just remembered something else I'm addicted to. Talking about 40k online instead of actually building and painting my stuff.

Right-o then, Im off to try to break this addiction.

cpt.skara
15-06-2007, 20:59
**lifts hood back off of head**

"fellow lodge members, i to am addicted to this wonderous hobby. how addicted........ i cant say.........how many armies........i cant say........how much do i own........i cant say....... how much i really painted...... i cant say"

**puts hood back over head and receads in to shadows"

ok really:
ig DKok 3000pts :wtf:
eldar 2000pts
marines 2000pts
chaos 2000pts
tau 1000pts
forgeworld collection:yikes:wtf: !!!!!!!!!!
titan, eldar titan, gorgon,baneblade, eldar scorpion II, 3 thunderbolts, t-hawk, and t-hawk transporter, imperial fortress, orca, arvus, valk, hellhound, destroyer, 3 russes, 2 DKok siege guns, eldar nightwing, malcadon on order.

lets just say my wife didnt rip my head off because most of it i bought befor i got married.

Azyreth
15-06-2007, 21:36
Unfortunately, I do alot of the time. Right now I'm trying to get all my stuff painted, but now I've gotten what seems to be too much. Hopefully I'll get it all done eventually. (Of course after finishing the Tau megaforce I just purchased :p )

Stahlgeist
15-06-2007, 21:38
Guilty as charged...

The only time I have to work on my minis is when I have insomnia, unfortunately. :cries:

superknijn
15-06-2007, 21:46
I almost ended up buying Typhus, even though I don't like the disease theme of the Death Guard and surely am not planning on ever fielding him. Why did I almost buy him then? His huge scythe that was the primary thing I saw behind the plastic!

The same almost happened with Dark Elve Death Guard. Some model blisters just look so damn inviting :cool:

victorpofa
16-06-2007, 00:25
I just remembered something else I'm addicted to. Talking about 40k online instead of actually building and painting my stuff.

Sheepishly raises hand. "Me too."

Right-o then, I'm off to try to break this addiction.

Good luck. I hope to break the cycle this summer when I will have July and August free to catch up on my anime collection, play some of the video games I have accumulated over the past 7 years, and work on my models. Not necessarily in that order.

skavenguy13
25-06-2007, 02:22
I have probably about 15K points in all. Only some skavens and about 15 O&G models are painted. I can't even make a fully-painted 2K army.

I purchased a grey seer and 6 globadiers just last month. I should buy another OK bataillon shortly.

The "don't buy anything before you have already painted that much" isn't exactly working... except for my OK, hopefully!

I should be painting... :(

chaos0xomega
25-06-2007, 02:49
Heh, I just got done building three Ogre Kingdoms battalions, I still have to greenstuff/customize them a bit, and then I'll probably start painting them next summer.

Hopefully college will afford me an opportunity to get stuff done. I plan on bringing one or two squads worth of stuff with me, painting them, bringing them back and exchanging them for some other stuff, etc. etc. until I cleared my workspace.

max the dog
25-06-2007, 03:29
Yeah, it seems like it's harder to me. By painting on the sprue, you aren't painting the area where the piece and the sprue meet, meaning you have to repaint that part, plus the part that gets shaved away when you clean it. Not only that, but many pieces need some greenstuff work in order to get a nice clean flow to the model. This cannot be done without removing the pieces from the sprue.

That and the glue kills the paintjob IMO...

Painting on the sprue is one of the best ways to get a good and detailed paint job done very quickly.
Here's a few of hints to painting on the sprue;
1 Use it mostly on horde armies where a perfect paint job isn't nessasary on every single model.
2 Clean the part off as much as possible until only 1 small sprue bit is holding it on. It's best if it's a section that will be hidden when glued.
3 Use a superglue accelerant to allow you to reduce the amount of glue needed to attach the parts.
4 Plan your painting ahead in detail so you know exactly what part will be attached to what before you paint anything.

scarletsquig
25-06-2007, 05:43
I've painted catachans on the sprue before - they were even painted to a reasonably high standard (ink wash and 2 highlights). It can be excellent if you're not too fussy, and apply a bit of lateral thought to the process.

Just clip off the bits you won't need, flick a file around the rest to remove the mould lines, spray and get to it - you'll be amazed at how much quicker it is.

It's also good for spray-basecoating models using different colours.

Here's an example using orks:

1. Spray the whole sprue white (roughly)
2. Spray the sprue dark green, mainly concentrating on the arms and heads.
3. Paint the arms and heads, then take them off the sprue.
4. Spray everything that's left on the sprue black
5. Drybrush the guns and metal plates, take them off the sprue
6. paint details on the black-shirted body, clip it off.
7. Only the legs are left now, spray them dark brown!

Follow that process of selective undercoating, and the army will get finished pretty quickly.

It also has the benefit of keeping the basecoat neat, since the point where two different parts on a model meet is often the same point where 2 different colours meet when you're painting it.

If you've got a huge army, you can even employ "sprue-dipping" as a properly industrial method of painting.

Picture this - tyranid army sprues - spray white, spray yellow , dip them all in brown shade, clip off sprue.

You could then neaten them up with yellow after they're assembled, pick out the armour plates in black, and there you go - decent looking nid army in no time at all :)

cleansingfury
25-06-2007, 06:35
Just used this method to help out a buddy of mine to paint 20 gaunts in under an hour! They were unassembled...

We had an hour because he had to leave and was just going to leave the stuff at my house. We both started making close combat gaunts and just tore through them using zap a gap and the zip kicker. I lost half of my finger but we assembled them all in 30 minutes. Yes it was about 3 minutes for each of em and we each did around 10. So we had 30 min to paint em. He didn't have a real paint scheme ready so I decided to help him! We used blue primer on all the models for the base coat, and then we took a can of black primer and ever so lightly applied quick spurts to only the front of the model. It gave them all a nice black freckled look on a dark blue coat. The eyes were painted bright red and a little blood work on all the claws. The spraying took about 15 minutes total cause it was a large and easy thing to do because it was quite literally spray 5 at a time. The blood took us the rest of the time... It was a very nice and fun project, we forgot to take pictures though...

Alright so after that great story!

I know I have already posted but, I am so addicted that I got grounded after repeatedly being told not to buy more models and bought another box of cadians... WOO HOO I AM ADDICTED!!! So like... some one help me?... Please?

No so since I last posted here, like 2 or 3 weeks, I bought:
2 boxes of cadians, a dread naught, a box of heavy weapons teams (the 3 in one thing), basilisk and a few other small things for my marines...

dr.oetk3r
25-06-2007, 07:38

It's true. For some reason it really helps me paint SM eyes.

Zealot
25-06-2007, 07:58

I think this is directly related to the addiction of buying models. Those of us who fall victim to what you describe find all sorts of cool new ideas on WarSeer and other websites, and then purchase the models to make some of the ideas a reality. But because we spend more time online than with our hobby supplies, we end up coming up with another interesting idea and buying models for that BEFORE we've even touched our last purchase!

Sucks...

Darkseer
25-06-2007, 08:19
Just finished my chaos and already I'm looking for a new army.....*sigh*

a-w-a
25-06-2007, 11:33
My wife calls me "obsessed" rather than "addicted" - I'm not sure which of those is the lesser of the two evils though I tend to think of myself as perhaps over-enthusiastic.

Most of my acquisitions have been fueled by a dream of staging campaigns or large extended battles and being able to provide all the figures required. I am still a fair way off having completed collecting to meet the needs of the scenarios I have planned.

To give some idea of the scale of my over-enthusiasm

Battle Fleet Gothic fleets so far total around 70,000 points
on the 40k front well ...
1200 Imperial Guardsmen (figures not points)
80+ Items of Imperial Armour including 6 FW Super Heavy Tanks
12 FW Imperial Aircraft (Marauder, Valkyries, Thunderbolts etc...)
3 companies Space Marine and 1 of Grey Knights
and silly amounts of Necrons, Tyranids and Tau

In the future I hope to stage one heckuva battle :p

El_Phen
25-06-2007, 12:40
My friend Neil beats anyone I've ever met. At its worst in excess of 40,000pts worth of Chaos 40k. About 20,000 of this is Black Legion. I'll try and dig out some photos of it. I thought my 12,000pt marine army was big. I cried when I saw it all. I swear he has a sickness or something. He's moving house soon so has gotten rid of more stuff than I've ever owned and is down to a mere 20-25,000. I know I've mentioned this before but in the big game I played in last year it was 40,000 points per side. 3 people provided the Imperial side (Guard, Marine (Black Templars, Space Wolves, Ultra Marines and my DIY chapter), Sisters and Daemon Hunters) Neil provided the Chaos side by himself and left stuff at home too.

Incidentally, we've both been collecting for over 15 years (I started properly about 1990, him about 87 or 88). Scary how stuff bulds up over the years.

El_Phen
25-06-2007, 12:42
My wife calls me "obsessed" rather than "addicted" - I'm not sure which of those is the lesser of the two evils though I tend to think of myself as perhaps over-enthusiastic.

Most of my acquisitions have been fueled by a dream of staging campaigns or large extended battles and being able to provide all the figures required. I am still a fair way off having completed collecting to meet the needs of the scenarios I have planned.

Dude, we should talk.:D Surely there's some sort of support network for people with advanced addictions like ours?;)

Darnok
25-06-2007, 12:58

Hell, that's not even obsessed, that's sick, even for the standards of a totally addicted hobbyist. :D

zbeam
25-06-2007, 13:15
lets see some photos to back up these sad, sad claims...

whos got the most dusty unpainted collections sitting there? hehe

SwordsofChaos
25-06-2007, 16:33
I usually make sure to assemble and paint everything I have before I buy anything new.

Greatoliver
25-06-2007, 17:45
Okay, I admit it - I haven't read the six pages of replies before this. But six pages! I find it really funny how posts like these are made and everyone who sees it can relate to it and thus the post number goes through the roof... :)

I usually make sure to assemble and paint everything I have before I buy anything new.

I applaud your large amount of will power and self control! :p

I would like to be like SoC but I'm not. I've got a 1,500 - 2,000 point mech Tau force at different stages but I can't be ersed to paint them as I don't like painting tanks that much (nice army choice! duh!) so that's a vital flaw. SO now I plan to buy a cheap IG army with no tanks. Huh.

Actually, I believe this is what women gte with clothes. I don't want to be offensive and stereotypical in a bad way but I think the feeling of "more More MORE!" is the same feeling. You know, 10 pairs of shoes = 10 boxes of unpainted scouts... Anyone want to provide rebuttal? :rolleyes:

cleansingfury
25-06-2007, 17:51
Actually, I believe this is what women gte with clothes. I don't want to be offensive and stereotypical in a bad way but I think the feeling of "more More MORE!" is the same feeling. You know, 10 pairs of shoes = 10 boxes of unpainted scouts... Anyone want to provide rebuttal? :rolleyes:

Great thanks... my mom just about grounded me again for using that...

Most of my models are on the process of being painted. I have 4 flippin marines with bolters that are unpainted. Most of my special weapons are unpainted, my 2 lascannons are unpainted, and my tank is unpainted... along with some other stuff...

I guess it helps that I don't have a job so can't get much money to spend!

Greatoliver
25-06-2007, 18:24
Great thanks... my mom just about grounded me again for using that...

Are you grounded for using that argument more than once or being grounded again for saying that for the first time? If you catch my drift...

Slaaneshi Slave
25-06-2007, 18:30
I just bought two Titans just for the sake of having two Titans. I'd say I am addicted. :D

Lindworm
25-06-2007, 18:46
"Obsessed" sounds far more volentary than "addicted". ;)

I just bought two Titans just for the sake of having two Titans. I'd say I am addicted.
Hell no, who wouldn't want two titans for the hell of it if they could afford it?

cleansingfury
25-06-2007, 18:58
Hell no, who wouldn't want two titans for the hell of it if they could afford it?

I agree!

@groundoliver That was the first time I used the argument! She said that shoes and models didn't compare in the slightest...

Greatoliver
25-06-2007, 19:18
@groundoliver That was the first time I used the argument! She said that shoes and models didn't compare in the slightest...

Say to her Greatoliver thinks you're wrong!

I am still firm in my belief that WH-players + Warhammer = Women + Clothes, shoes, perfume, jewelry etc... ;)

cleansingfury
25-06-2007, 19:29
I agree great but my dad stepped in and gave me a choice! Since I haven't had my room clean for some odd 2 years... it was first a year due to off and on wow playing then marching band and now 40k... I AM A NERD!!!

So the choice, get my room done by saturday, which is totally possible, and he will buy me a load of stuff for my armies! Like a lot of stuff!

Slaaneshi Slave
25-06-2007, 20:19
I'm a messy bastard, and it takes me 10 minutes a week to keep my room in order - including cleaning my bathroom and dusting/hoovering, so why not just keep it in shape?

cleansingfury
25-06-2007, 20:36
Cause I am a lazy bastard... to clean my room I need to get a couple tons of clothes to good will, throw a load of stuff away, vacuum up the plastic shavings from every where, clean my closet that when I open the door stuff falls out...

See why I don't clean? It will take forever!

Greatoliver
25-06-2007, 22:29
Huh, if only I got models for cleaning my room...

Clean man clean! You need those models!!!

Leonartes
26-06-2007, 02:34
im going to advance the cold turkey rehab method for not buying gw stuff.
that mainly rotates around working as a head bartender, sleeping working and drinking take up most of your life, and when you do have free time, you normally find your hands are so cut and ruined or your so tired you never get chance.
iv just re sprayed 11 years worth of blood angles to make a new chapter, half of which is half hiding in the boxes i packed them in when i first moved, and some are in my flat mates nid boxes.

im going to say he's addicted, we once played a game on a 6'- 12'- board, and his genestealers took up half of it. without terrain, or any spaces for the units.
its that kind fo time you wish you had control of orbital barrages
*sigh*

cleansingfury
26-06-2007, 02:42
I just about begged to have a thunder hawk as a reward for my room getting cleaned... it is like half done... they said, you are doing a good job on cleaning, alright show us what you want... few minutes later after FW loads, "OH MY GOD NO!!!"

I was sad... and then started to itch... then started to itch worse and worse, touch a shower continued to itch... pulled out an unassembled bike that I had hiding... assembled it, stopped itching...

Is that like really bad or what? I am still cleaning my room and it will be done tommorrow as long as warseer crashes again so I can't get side tracked by it...

Zealot
26-06-2007, 03:46
I think a new thread may be in order; a thread where people publicly vow not to buy another miniature for a certain period of time. A geek's 40 days and 40 nights, perhaps?

Kulgur
26-06-2007, 05:47
No, no I don't leave unassembled minatures lying around...
*spots his stack of Orks sprues and buries them under some handy codexes*
*shuffles half-assembled Exorcist, behind handy coffee mug*
*puts half a box over some errant Dark Eldar*
Nope, no unfinished models here :)

To be honest, I will never field an unpainted model. This is because I know that if I DO, I will never touch it with a paint brush :(

cleansingfury
26-06-2007, 06:25
Check out my new thread!
It may sound really stupid but it should help us with the problem of unfinished stuff! Like kulgur with the exorcist behind the coffee mug or the orks under those codexes, or maybe those dark eldar hidden beneath a box?

Foxx5
19-08-2007, 23:46
Ya, I think I do have a little addiction, I have just started getting into warhammer about a month ago and already i have:

commander
closecombate term
term librairian
chaplin
whirlwind
prediator ann
land raider crusader
rhino
forge world vindicator
scouts w/sniper
calgar w/honor guard
assault squad
techmarine w/servitors
2 dreadnought

and I have on order:
megaforce set
2 devestaor squad
scout squad
term chaplin
term captian
terminator squad
close combat term squad
venerable dreadnought

im lucky to have finished painting all except my honor gaurd, and term librarian, but probly be overwhelmed when my order comes in. I played my first real game yesterday and won, we played a 1500 cleanse game it was a blast

dave38x
19-08-2007, 23:51
guilty as charged. my record at the moment is a chaos biker i bought three years ago. he is undercoated and thats it. as far as impulse buying goes, i often do it for the painting challenge.

@ Foxx5: you have no comprehension of how this is just the beginning. soon you will see the new adeptus mechanicus battleships, think they are cool and by one. i know i did :p

Slaaneshi Slave
20-08-2007, 00:07
If you enjoy it, there is no such thing as too many models. :p

@ Foxx5: you have no comprehension of how this is just the beginning. soon you will see the new adeptus mechanicus battleships, think they are cool and by one. i know i did :p

There are Adeptus Mechanicus Battleships..?! *goes to check*

You lie! :p

Konrad Curze
20-08-2007, 01:05
The problem comes down to Time Vs. Cool models available. The number of cool models far outweighs Time available to complete them. Sigh...

ChaosMaster
20-08-2007, 01:11
Anyone ever buy models just to buy them? Anyone else ever do this?
Absolutely! Welcome to the hobby! ;)

dave38x
20-08-2007, 20:33
i do not lie, most sincerely. they are cool.

Slaaneshi Slave
20-08-2007, 20:50
I was joking, I meant that they aren't on the FW page. :p

Kulgur
20-08-2007, 21:20
I've got it bad recently. I don't even have 1,500pts of Witch Hunters and I bought the Tau boxset (the smaller one thank God) I've painted all of ONE model of that and now I'm eyeing up the Necrons.

Help me! I'm a student damnit I can't afford this!

Xenocidal Maniac
20-08-2007, 21:23
Whoah.

Concerned parent mode on

I know we're making light of it here in this thread, but it sounds like some of you truly do have addictions. And I don't mean that in a good way. I'm not talking about people who have a couple thousand points of this and that - I mean if you've got boxes and boxes and boxes of unopened stuff, if your spending interferes with being able to pay for essentials, if it damages relationships with your family members, etc etc, you truly do have a problem, and you should seek help.

I am being serious here, and I am honestly not trying to be judgemental. Who knows. Maybe I am taking it too seriously because I actually am a recovering alky, but I think a few of you should take a step back and re-evaluate this whole thing.

jackveneno
20-08-2007, 22:29
let me go through al;l of the thngs that i have:

3200 points of marines 30% not painted
2200 points of eldar only 3 models fully painted...
2500 points in bretonnians
1500 chaos nurgle (fantasy)
and i have a couple of other armies in the works, by the way i started in the hobby 3/4/06 so i am really addicted.

almost forgot, i have 2000 points in BFG eldar and a nurgle blood bowl team.

boogle
20-08-2007, 22:32
I much prefer putting the stuff together than painting, but that is my finiky nature more than anything else

floyd pinkerton
20-08-2007, 22:32
That's a very good point there, Mr. Maniac.

Well, I've actually started sorting out all my GW stuff. I began at about 6pm on saturday and I'm still at it. I keep finding stuff I never knew I bought (including an army of FW Tau Battlesuits :)) and I haven't slept in my bed since as it's covered in stuff:D

boogle
20-08-2007, 22:34
To be honest i've only ever fully painted (by fully painted i meant to gaming standard) 2 armies in nearly 20 years (IW and Elysians), the rest have been built and part painted, or built and primed, or just built

Putty
21-08-2007, 02:23
i was playing wood elves when i brought the chaos knights boxset and archaon because i wanted to make a diorama.

than i realised the models really rock and didn't make the diorama and started a chaos army instead.

now i'm itching to finish off my 3k army with the purchases of 2 boxes of warhounds and the very expensive hellcannon.

thank god i have finished buying the units needed for my 3k black templars army....

let me see what else i need to stop buying anymore models...

7 wardancers
1 treeman
2 boxes of warhounds (20 warhounds)
1 hellcannon
30 chaos warriors (2nd hand ones, they are on the way)

that shopping list is prohibitedly expensive... i'm still getting flashbacks from buying that (only) plastic dreadnaught for my BT army...

dcikgyurt
21-08-2007, 02:30
I'm not addicted to buying models, I'm addicted to improving my army. They just happen to look the same in a bad light. :D

Foxx5
21-08-2007, 02:39

Hey where can i see or buy this, I dont know anything about this im a noob, help please:evilgrin:

clarkdobbs112
21-08-2007, 07:57
I've got about 2500 points of IG, and I'm building a warhammer orc and goblin army to 2500. I also have a few souvenir figures from previous armies (about a dozen models, a mix of tyranids and orks). Used to have other stuff, but as other posters have mentioned, when I'm not using an army, I try to sell it (usually profitably) to pay for different models (and clothing, and school books, and food, etc).

My real addiction, I think, is the internet. I waste so much time on forums like this...

And I agree with this "Maniac" character - from what I've read on this thread, some of you people are spending an unhealthy amount of money (not to mention time) on this stuff. There's nothing wrong with the hobby as a whole, but when you're spending 10-20k on toy soldiers...

Crippler
21-08-2007, 08:43
See this log for addiction

http://warseer.com/forums/science-fiction-project-logs/85498-small-dkok-army-but-expensive-science-fiction-painting-logs-14.html

Myself, T-Hawk, Spacker to name but a few poor souls!!!

Rick_1138
21-08-2007, 09:21
i have too much stuff, but its just because they are shiny and i want them.

I have an eldar army deal, pretty much still in the box, an almost completely painted BA army, a wood elf army, pretty much painted, the new chaos army deal i get on saturday, and about 3000 points of Tau, of which 2 squads and a tank are painted.

Will i probably buy more still?

You betcha, its a hobby and i like to have the shiny things, and i will get through it eventually!

Lord Malorne
21-08-2007, 09:26
lol...i have just bought a dwarf army deal, battallion box set an extra cannon and the new heroes...made the heroes and thats it...got them a week ago...oh why did i buy them in one go!

Crippler
21-08-2007, 09:43
I have several large armies, all in the lovely shade of grey, however they are all built up, the ultramarines are the only ones I have painted at the moment, although working on the DKoK now.

spaint2k
21-08-2007, 09:44
guilty as charged. my record at the moment is a chaos biker i bought three years ago. he is undercoated and thats it. as far as impulse buying goes, i often do it for the painting challenge.

Ha! I've got figs that haven't seen as much as an undercoat since I bought them 20 years ago.

Steve