PDA

View Full Version : Land Raider effectiveness

Valo
13-06-2007, 05:13
Hey guys,I've been using my LRC as a transport for my Blood angels HQ and honour guard lately and found that its a fantastic transport,but i want to know what the regular LR is like as both an assault transport,troop support,and as a tank hunter.......is it really worth me taking it as a tank hunter?can it lay down enough supressing fire in the the shotting phase to thin out the enemy line so i can have an effective assault.

Here's what I'm throwing out of the LR into the enemy,Company captain with bolt pistol and power fist,2 marines with power fists,a tech adapt(artificer armour,power weapon)and a sanguinary priest,one vet with a bolt pistol and CCW along with 3 death company marines.

Martin

15-06-2007, 05:44
well the regular one can do a lot of tank hunting but then it wontbe an effective transport. cause you don't want to move

a predator with 3 lascannons would be better suited for sole tank hunting. however I suggest the predator with las canon turret and two HB sponsons so you can move 6 inch and still shoot

Valo
15-06-2007, 06:56
A land raider can move up to 6" and still fire it slascannons can it not?

Leo
15-06-2007, 07:18
yeah, the Land Raider can, after moving up to 6", still fire one of its Lascannons with its regular BS and the other one with the machine spirits BS of 2.
Of course there isnŽt much point in sitting in a Land Raider if it doesnŽt move 12". Those Infantrymen could move 6" on their own.
When moving 12" you wonŽt fire your weapons however so youŽll invariably end up not using half of the stuff you pay for.
Flexibility will only get you so far.
Add to that the Land Raiders weakness to some of the weapons out there and you get too much liability for my taste.
The only army that should use the basic Land Raider are Demonhunters. Space Marines have much better stuff at their hands. A Predator to shoot with and a bunch of Jump Packs for the bonus movement (for your Blood Angels that is).

Another problem is its mixed weapons loadout (Lascannons and Heavy Bolters) so that usually one of them is wasted since you cannot fire at different targets anymore.

One_Second_of_Insanity
15-06-2007, 07:58
I use my landraider in my deathwing as long range anti tank and as mobile cover for my terminators, even if it get destroyed it still provides a good staging point.

gitburna
15-06-2007, 12:09
hmmm, you've got a real expensive HQ in there. I have to say that an HQ like that really needs top be in something that will just unleash them into the enemy at shortest possible notice.

I dont think that your expensive HQ is going to mesh with your plans to use the lascannons of the landraider, to be honest.

An alternative would be a squad of normal marines x10, armed with bolters and nothing else [the sergeant aside] They'd be cheaper than the HQ of Doom and would still be deadly because of their numbers when they arrived at their target. Ignore those who say they might as well go on foot if they are only going 6 inches a turn and think of all the heavybolters and plasma weapons which wont be able to hurt them. So to sum up, slow moving landraider transports do work, but i personally dont think that a high value low numbers unit like your HQ will be at its best inside it.

Count de Monet
15-06-2007, 14:10
Regular Land Raiders are a generalist tank in (generally ;) ) generalist armies, for the general who likes generality.

:wtf:

They're not the best value in transport options. They're not the best value in AT options. They are good at either role, and have extra advantages (immune to S7 and under weapons, assault ramp). If you've filled up your HS slots but want something else, take it as a transport option for a squad that can. If you've got an open HS slot and want some more flexibility in a take all comers list, toss it in. If you're making a finely-tuned specific list where all bases are already fully covered, don't bother.

Mouse_NJ
15-06-2007, 14:43
I've always felt the LRC is the best option for transporting troops when your considering a LR option. The regular LR can't hold as many models, and can't fire all the weapons on the move like the LRC. In edition, the assault ramp/frag option on the LRC makes it that much more a better option as you can assault straight into cover and strike at the same intiative. Lastly, you have to consider the role you want, do you want it to tank hunt or transport? If your thinking Tank hunt and transport 5 terminators I'd say LR, if your thinking support the infantry unit inside like an honor guard, LRC as you really want to be able to shoot everything on the move.

Valo
15-06-2007, 18:59
In all honesty the only reason I'm even think about using it right now is due to my insanely bad luck with predators.......This is not one word of a lie...every game i have ever played my pred is gone at the end of teh second turn......and most of the time it doesent even get a chance to shoot,weather its destroyed first shooting turn or stunned/immobalisied,I just want to use something that can be immune to anything strength 7 or under....And as for using it as a transport........generally speaking in a blood angels army if you see a rhino racing across the table towards your squads.....you tend to shoot at it with everything you have....and as we all know rhino's arent the most durable.

Bboy
15-06-2007, 19:25
The LRC is great, maybe slightly overpriced but still a good option.

Regular LR are overpriced by about 50 pts. They pay for everything they get but can only do one thing at a time and are very big targets. Even 14 armor only protects against so much.

For other options you can hide the predator, move it six inches and still fire the one of the guns. Rhinos work fine as long as you have alot of viechals including mutiple rhinos on the table and you give them smokelaunchers and extra armor.

Unless you are playing an IG gunline, then you just give everything a jumppack and charge.

W0lf
15-06-2007, 20:06
Take two predators.

one with all lascannons. one with autocannon 2 heavy bolters.

Its the same price (basically) and is better for fire power.

Id only take a land raider if i wanted to drop the 2 preds and free up another hvy slot.

Valo
15-06-2007, 20:17
I'm pulled in both directions......i love teh preds...but have no luck with them.

Just reading through the rules for transports and aparently i can't mount 2 squads in a land raider.........i ha dthought that you could as long as there was room for them to fit.

W0lf
15-06-2007, 20:25
no you cant.

and the best way to use preds is to hide them behind terrain so they cant be seen at deployment. Then move the 6" on your first turn and fire.

Use terrain to limit the ammount of AV pointing in their direction.

Karhedron
17-06-2007, 22:46
Remember, Predator Lascannons are going in up price (buth turrets and sponsons) in the DA and BA codices. This means you can bet they will also go up in SM redux. As a result, the lascannons on the regular LR will look better value in comparison as they have not changed in price.

shutupSHUTUP!!!
17-06-2007, 22:56
When I used to use a land raider, it spent the first two turns hurtling towards the enemy, soaking up fire and disgorging it's troops straight into combat, then it would often spend the rest of the game stationary using its lascannons.

The fact that it wasn't a dedicated tranposrt and anybody can ride in it saved a few squads too, because the land raider could go pick them up and the enemy might not be able to damage the land raider once the squad's inside.

It was Necrons that finally put the nail in the coffin of the land raider for me though. It need to come down in price by at least 20 points.

They originally added the cool machine spirit rules to the land raider to make up for the fact that it just wan't worth the price tag, but like with terminators (who got a 5+ invulnerable save to make them more attractive) the freebie didn't address the actual issue that prevented them from getting used.

MrBigMr
17-06-2007, 23:19
I'm a bit on the edge at the moment on the Land Raider. I'm currently building a SM army and depending on how the terminators are treated in the new codex redux (if they're down to 1 HW), I might exchange my terminator squad for a land raider for my HQ and use it as a basic tank.
I've already spent all the Heavy Choises (Devastators, Whirlwind and Vindicator), so I can't have a universal Land Raider.

What about the Prometheus? 4 TL HBs and 2 storm bolters. Plenty of fire down on your enemies. Might not take down tanks, but everything else is in danger.

Valo
18-06-2007, 05:22
i love the Prometheus,but I really need something that can take out some tanks....and honestly....spending 250 points on something that can't take down another tank is a poor choice if you don't have any other tank hunter in your army(like me trying to work in the 1000 point range)