PDA

View Full Version : Minimum sized squads

Griffin
13-06-2007, 07:05
Last nights while painting a new squad of Chaos marines for my Black legion army a thought came to me.

1. Most people complain about combat squads because of the rigidy (either 5 or 10 marines).

2. Alot of people say they don't mind only having a single special weapon as long as the squads are variable in size.

I allways thought that People didn't like combat squads because it took away 2x special weapons squads or 6 man lasplas. Allso it has been mentioned to death that you can not take advantage of the Razorback 6 transport spaces (which to my mind is a command squad + hero, or combat squad + hero config).

What if they made it so you could have any number of marines in a squad from 5+, but only got your second weapon choice once you had ten men in a squad.

So people could keep their 6,7,8,9 man squads, although I never see 7,8,9 men squad fielded anyway.

Personally I hope they keep it so that chaos gets it's second heavy weapon choice at 8+ marines.

Anyhow - my thoughts on the subject, personally I'm a huge fan of the new Dark angels rules.

HiveFleetEzekial
13-06-2007, 13:53
Just one insy wincy, tiny little flaw in any argument for thinking that chaos might ever be affected by combat squads.

They're Chaos! They don't follow the Codex Astartes (which is what 'forces' combat squads) that was put forth by guileman(sp?) at the end of the HH. Besides that, they'd have no need to adhere to any further limiting 'order of numbers'. Their gods already dictate to them what numbers are best, though they can choose to ignore that as well.

Griffin
13-06-2007, 14:05
I know they don't follow the codex - but GW will probably implement something similiar for game balancing reasons. Besides a undivided force wouldn't usually have any reason to stick to the gods favoured numbers.

Maleficum
13-06-2007, 15:38
I play chaos.

I have used squads of 5, 6, 7, 8, 9?, 10, 11, 12 and 14.

8 is by far the most popular (that I have two 8 strong, powerfist-AC Berzerker-squads do help), along with 7 (as I have and use a lot of my converted, awfully painted plaguemarines.)

Verying squad sizes do give the army less of a cockie-cutter feel (I am very guilty of cockie-cuttering and am also very cheap with upgrades), and mosttimes the squad size is adequat for it's purpose(es). Having a strong 8#marine strong squad shielding two 6#marines squads is in a way tactical. :)

I don't always load up on Special and Heavy Weapons, I've been known to use none, though I usually try to include Asp Champs. with either a PW or a PF, sometimes I add chaos hounds.

The DA player (that has used C:SM use mostly 10#marine strong units with pure bolter fun, occasionly a missile launcher and Devastators with 4 missile launchers, mostly 10#marine strong, but i've witnessed him having 4xML and only 5 devastators.

To sum up: I'm not that sure the 6#marine las/plas is all that strong, as we have always used a decent amount of terrain.

nightgant98c
14-06-2007, 01:22
I love it when my opponent fields minimum squads, since it makes it alot easier to wipe them out in a sungle turn. I do like the idea of allowing larger squads to take additional special weapons, though.

chiffmonkey
14-06-2007, 01:29
but surely two 5 man squads is better that one 10 man squad?

BARON SAMDI
14-06-2007, 02:51
I dont know why you would want small squads the bigger the better

dr.oetk3r
14-06-2007, 02:54
More scoring units on the board and it splits the enemie's fire power.

200th post, woot

Dribble Joy
14-06-2007, 03:42
I use min max RL git mobs in my 1k bad moon list. The thing is that I use them not as troops (my 'ard boys and nobs mob do that), but as fire support, they sit at the back and plug rokkits into stuff. Eight rokkits a turn tends to scare a lot of people. At 65 points a mob they are cheap and tend to draw more attention than they deserve.

BARON SAMDI
14-06-2007, 03:48
again why would anyone want a small army if GW wants to expand it needs big and I mean big armies like mine 750 pts of tau battlesuits 350 pts of firewarriors and path finders (I even made a XV8 variant for path finders)
1230 aprox pts vehicles making an aprox 2330 pts army, why small think big. (And green stuff.)

goblinmedics
14-06-2007, 08:00
They're not saying small armies.. they're just saying taking 2 5-man squads is better than one 10-man for the same points.

Griffin
14-06-2007, 08:06
Actually what I was getting at is that Players moaned about 5 OR 10 man squads. They wanted to make them variable in size, I thought that was purely because they wanted the smaller than 10 man las/plas or six man double plas squads or whatever.

Zedric
14-06-2007, 09:33
You were pretty much right.

Some people try to claim it's against the fluff in order to disguise that reason, but we all really know how it works. ;)

Sir_Turalyon
14-06-2007, 09:40
I expect if Marine squads were "5-10, heavy weapon only for max size squads", most people would be taking 5 strong squads with special weapon... Come to think of it, if squad had to be 10 strong to have heavy weapon, I would prefere combat squads over variable squad size; this way firing heavy weapon immobilizes only five marines, not all ten.