PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Repercussions

Kadris
13-06-2007, 18:14
I'l not sure where to post this as i didnt see a general gaming for all games forum, and i did a search for something similar to this and found nothing.

After viewing the post on "pet hates" and seeing a couple where someone damaged thier models I began to think, "whats an appropriate action to this?"
I realize that this kinda of occurance may not be common place (at least not where I am) but it got me thinking none the less.
I have only played a few games and with someone elses army to get a feel for the game. However, I am currently making my army (i'll prolly make a log for it when im further along) and while most people at my local store dont really paint thier army, unless slapping on some cheap paint to give it color counts, I take alot of time painting and assembling/converting mine.

So I guess the jist of this thread is, what would you consider an appropriate reaction to various inappropriate behavior before, durring and after games? And the behavior im speaking of is anything from verbal insults to vandalizing or destroying your stuff even by accident.

Llew
13-06-2007, 18:25
If someone broke something of mine by accident, a lot would depend on how they reacted to it. If they were apologetic, I'd be nice about it and ask them to be more careful. If they acted like it was no big deal, things would be tense.

If they intentionally broke something of mine in a fit, I'd be banned from that gaming site, since I would deliver a massive and ruthless beating that would enter into the realm of legend foreverafter.

Just because we play a kid's game doesn't mean you get to act childish without repercussions.

TheWarSmith
13-06-2007, 18:46
It depends on the level, and intention of the break.

If somebody accidentally knocks your plastic custom conversion to the floor then accidentally steps on it, compensation is probably due.

However, if somebody accidentally knocks it to the floor, and his head falls off, you can just fix that. might be a pain, but that's part of gaming with your figs.

Basically, if it was an accident and can be reasonably fixed, it's no biggie.

If somebody did it intentionally, I'd bring attention to the store manager(if you're at a store).

Vattendroppe
13-06-2007, 19:02
I would like to say that you shouldn't play with anything you cannot afford to lose. Or at least not play it with strangers, rather with people you know (and hopefully trust). Or try not to keep it around table edges and stuff, the chanse of it beeing damaged to a point where no repairing will fix it without leaving the gaming table seems quite low.

I know if I personally should wreck a miniature that someone had spent a soul in making (not literally, although I suspect that's what pox have done) I would never ever show up at that store/local/whatever again. I wouldn't have the guts to face the shame. And if I did, I would glue my hands together behind my back. Maybe the shame alone is punishment enough? But I guess it's also down to what kind of person were talking about.

Someone that intentionally brakes others miniatuers should go to hell and never come back.

the1stpip
13-06-2007, 20:20
You breaka my men,
I breaka your noze.

the1stpip
13-06-2007, 20:21
Maybe that was a bit harsh. But if it was intentional through having a fit, then my previous post stands.

Hlokk
14-06-2007, 17:28
To be honest with you, insults can be meant 2 ways. You could be having a bit of a laugh with the guy and its not meant seriously, in which case have a laugh and insult him back.

I've been insulted seriously only a few times while playing. Most of them got a "stop being a prick and shut the ***** up" with prolonged eye contact or "I f*cked your mother" which usually does the trick of shutting them up. Failing that, a "go ***** yourself" and a move to pack your models away will solve the situation. I really wouldn't recommend resorting to hitting people. If your fighting over toy soldiers, you really need to have a word with yourself.

As far as breaks are concerned, the best approach is probably to try and fix it first. Most breaks are easily fixable. Better yet, get the klutz who broke the model to fix it for you.

However, one thing to be VERY careful of is if a small child breaks your model. I have had this happen to me twice, and both times the breaks were serious and couldnt be fixed properly. I quite reasonably asked the childs parents to foot the bill. What you need to avoid is said parent going "well little billy will save his pocket money until he can buy you another". This is unaccpetable because, lets say its a 40 model that breaks. That means you could be waiting 2-3 months for the money for it. Why the hell should you have to wait? Get the parent to give you the money and insist the child pay them back.

fhelvie
14-06-2007, 20:08
I've been fortunate in that the few times someone has reached to touch my models, I've seen them. I immediately tell them to kindly not touch my models as we have a game going on, but they are welcome to look. Had something been broken, but was fixable, I'd tell them leave us to our game, and they can use the table after us (subtle hint to go away). If it wasn't fixable, I'd ask them to pay for it and get the store manager involved.

Regarding insults, if you're joking, then expect a joke about your mom. If you're serious, looks like the game is over cause I don't waste my time with tools.

fhelvie
14-06-2007, 20:10
I've been fortunate in that the few times someone has reached to touch my models, I've seen them. I immediately tell them to kindly not touch my models as we have a game going on, but they are welcome to look. Had something been broken, but was fixable, I'd tell them leave us to our game, and they can use the table after us (subtle hint to go away). If it wasn't fixable, I'd ask them to pay for it and get the store manager involved.

Regarding insults, if you're joking, then expect a joke about your mom. If you're serious, looks like the game is over cause I don't waste my time with tools.

fhelvie
14-06-2007, 21:56
*deleted by user*

Lord Anathir
14-06-2007, 22:07
Ive had a friend drop a unit of my dragon princes on the floor....they all broke. And they werent purity sealed.

I wasnt even that angry. He did by accident anyways. I was busy reading his 300 book anyways :D

L192837465
14-06-2007, 22:22
i had the sad misfortune of clumsiness at my local store where i knocked an open box of almost *all* converted and painted models to the floor. i swear it went so silent the music stopped playing.

luckily nothing was broken, and i would have gladly gone outside for him to beat the **** out of me, but it was an accident, and he learned not to put a box of minatures precariously on a padded chair.

given, if this had happened to someone else, i'd have surely be down about $400 dollars. lesson learned: watch where you put yer *****!

and with trash talking: i've been known to be the loudest person at a tournament, but not just with my opponant. i'll have trash talking sessions from across the room. its great! but if someone looks me dead in the eyes and insults me, my army, my guitar, or my girlfriend, its throwdown time, and i know everyone in that store would be holding him down.

no amount of anger should spark a hateful remark. its a game played for fun. yeah, theres days i have ****ty games and feel bad/pissed off about my army, but then i usually turn that into retaliatory remarks about the chastity of ones mother and her influence on my gaming that day.

lesson: its a game people, treat it like one!

the1stpip
14-06-2007, 22:52
Don't get me wrong, I like to talk the talk, but if it is someone I don't know, and who doesn't know me, then I don't.

When I said I would hit them, it is assuming they intentionally broke your models cos they stropped. Accidents happen to everyone.

mooze
15-06-2007, 00:37
I had a kid (18-19 yrs old) drop my rather well painted archaon which broke in half. He is borderlide retarded and, other than handling other people's things a bit too much, is only a little annoying. I told him not to worry about it and just be more careful in future. (Then I kicked his mother in the crotch and teabagged hid dad.kidding) He has been super careful forevermore. It is just a model and just a game after all. Now my target rifles would be another matter entirely...

theunwantedbeing
15-06-2007, 02:26
Minor breakage...fine,so long as you apologise.
Major breakage..you will be repaying the damage somehow.
Purposeful breakage...your not going near my models or getting to play here again,and if the damage was major your repaying me on the spot,even if we have to walk to a cashpoint.

Overt_Spy
15-06-2007, 03:44
I'd have to say my sentiments are similar to most other posters. When it's an accident, it's no problem. Even big breaks I really wouldn't mind, i'd think it'd just would give me more practice converting and sculpting by repairing it.

I mean, i'm a tall guy, tall guys are very clumsy, i'd hate it if everytime I bumped into something or accidentaly broke it someone started screaming.

If it's a purposeful defacement of my stuff in any way, then i'd get Muay Thai on their asses. Honestly though, if it was a fit of temper on the other players part, i'd walk away, refuse to play with them again, and probably talk to whoever is hosting the game, and get them kicked out, because there is no excuse for throwing any kind of tantrum like that. Generally though i'm really non confrontational, to get me to react would require some serious offense, which i'm likely not to get (being 6' 6" and 200 lbs tends to persuade them away from trying to start anything)

cleansingfury
15-06-2007, 04:07
Here is what to do:

Level 1: They are mishandling your minis
You ask them to stop doing what they are doing, throwing your minis in a large pile, handling them by the model and not the base and so on. If continues go to level 2. Some people even skip the nice request and go straight to level 2.

Level 2: Severly abusing minis, or being dicks
After asking to stop mishandling minis they keep doing it, this is when you can get mad at them for continuing. Explain your reasons here and maybe give em a dirty look befor they touch your mini, NOTE: YOU SHOULD HANDLE YOUR OWN MINIS! Sorr bout caps but it was important.

Level 3: Broke something on accident or just was still touching minis
Unless they are apologetic about breaking mini yell at them, they broke a mini for gods sake! A piece of plastic that costs a couple bucks for 1! You worked hard on that thing and they broke it! Yell go for it! Get them kicked out.

Level 4: They broke multiple mins/ being dick
If they do not apologize and/or have broken multiple minis yell have them kicked out of that club and demand replacement of your item that was broken! If they break it they buy it! I just had a guy buy me a new box of 5 space marines, I mainly play 40k, cause he broke a guy when he dropped a lascannon on it and did not act apologetic, he bought the box no prob, then apologized, hence the box of 5.

Handle your own minis people, keeps threads like these from being needed...