PDA

View Full Version : A Poll.....for a Poll!

Mad Doc Grotsnik
13-06-2007, 22:30
Bizarre huh?

Anyways. As you can see, above this message is a Poll, about, well, a Poll. No, not a Pole. Twonk. A POLL. A vote...yes, now your on the right track.

Anyways. Gav has asked us Net Weirdos what GW can do for Veterans. And I've had a stonking idea, which I felt (being all about humility and that) was so great it deserved it's own thread.

Lots of people knock GW for their half arsed polls (yes, that word again! Thats what, 6 so far, including the title. Not bad eh?) on their Website, which essentially don't contain a negative reaction, flying neatly in the face of no vote being a wasted vote theories.

Anyways. Hasbro also have consumer polls (number 7, yay!) on their website for Fan Choice Star Wars figures, which have lead directly to the release of some rather spiffy, otherwise overlooked figures.

So why not ask GW, very kindly, if they could adopt such a thing for Models? Be it the Gamesday Model, or even a random Plastic kit, by getting us consumers voting, they also get our attention, and, theoretically, our money. After all, if you've pestered/wished for something for ages, you far more likely to buy it when it does come to fruition.

So, essentially, they put up a list of what, 5 possible plakky kits for development, and then whack up a poll (thats 8 now...common word I guess. Or is it just this thread?) asking us gamers which one we'd really really like.

This could lead to the eventual release of things like Savage Orc plastics (please God, Gork, Mork, Bork and any other deity listening!) or even plastic Wyches, if they do one poll for Fantasy, and one poll for 40k (10....is the magic number!)

So, vote vote vote!

Delicious Soy
13-06-2007, 23:08
Call me cynical but wouldn't they go for stuff already pegged for production? In order to have a poll, they need a set of things to vote for. Who is going to come up with them? Its not like they can peruse their forums to figure out what the people want, because, well, they closed them.

It'd be a case of: what do you what released?

1.Ork trukk kit?

2. Ork boyz?

3. Warboss?

4. Ork warbikes?

Nevermind have all of the above! It ork release time anyway!

Mad Doc Grotsnik
13-06-2007, 23:10
Well, they might do, but ideally, it would be kits they want to do at some point, like Savage Orcs (come on...I mean, they are Orcs, and a Core choice, sun addled, and IN METAL WHICH MEANS I CANNOT DO MY SAVAGE ORC ARMY AND ARE NOT EASILY CONVERTED FROM OTHER SOURCES!)

Oh, and if your polling, please post a comment!

violenceha
13-06-2007, 23:42
I voted the last option as I feel it is the most likely of the three and there was no option involving haggis.
If it were actually for the release of things like Savage Orcs( which i also want) then yes that would be great.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
13-06-2007, 23:44
Jobbies to you then!

I still think it's something we could put to GW as an idea. I know it would be a once a year thing, but it would put them back in contact with the players again.

violenceha
14-06-2007, 00:10
What exactly is it they use as market research at the moment?

Mad Doc Grotsnik
14-06-2007, 00:12
Buggered if I know. Seriously. I really do not know.

What I can tell you though, is that this whole 'Evil MArketing Execs' is a load of twaddle.

But, yeah. Not a clue. This is pretty much a freebie idea for them!

Charax
14-06-2007, 00:26
Listen carefully, I shall say this only once.

All polls, petitions, letters, phone calls, sexual favours and sky-writing with the intention to dictate, suggest, change or influence any aspect of GW business practices simply will not work. Not ever. This is GW, after all - they'll put up a poll asking what you want released and then fiddle the result so it shows what they were going to release anyway.

Nice idea, perhaps you should suggest it to a company that gives a damn?

Batwings
14-06-2007, 00:27
Correct.

There are no Evil Marketing Execs. at Games Workshop.

Well, not since they sacked the last one.

Templar Ben
14-06-2007, 02:55
There is a difference too in Hasbro (WotC) and GW in terms of the production runs. I have Star Wars Battles (great game btw) and it is a completely different type of model. I don't know that it would be cost effective for GW to do something like that without it being based on preorders since they can't take the risk for making a plastic mold that won't sell.

If it is going to be in metal then they lose a bit of the margin.

Perhaps it being resin so the detail is captured but that would be a FW type thing and people are happy with FW.

Shadowseer Crofty
14-06-2007, 12:38
I voted option 1, its a good idea, though chances of them listening are pretty low. can you elaborate on this about gav asking net wierdos stuff (or if a linky is possible then link me).

Mad Doc Grotsnik
14-06-2007, 13:09
The thread is on this very sub forum....

I'm not saying they will definitely listen, but surely it's worth their consideration.

Sureshot05
14-06-2007, 13:57
Great idea MDG,

It could just be e-mail the model that you wish was produced as well as the plastic idea. Whilst I think that it is a great idea the only problem i would state regarding this is
"We want a plastic Valkyrie"

My personal preference of course!

So Gw make one, release it, charge 80 for the kit (pure gedanken here, not speculation or what i would expect). At which point, I think "hmmm, not really worth it" and whilst I am stoked to see the kit, don't actually buy the kit.

The other possible flaw is that you would see even more space marine loving than there is already! And that could be to the detriment of the hobby.

Now, I'm just being critical to point out the two possible flaws, but I still think that this is a brilliant idea and think the negatives out weigh the positives. After all, there are some kits that people have been clamouring for ages to see (whats that tank called, erm...
waneslade? Can't be that important :p) and a poll could help guide people in the right direction.

Ideas if such a thing were allowed - only one top item per army
(i.e to prevent: 1) Space Marine Devastor with tassles, 2) Space Marine Devastator with a slightly bigger left foot, 3) Space Marine Commander with Tassles and slightly bigger left foot...)
It to be a top ten, with ALL GW's games included in the same poll. Lotr, Wh, wh40k, epic, mh, necro, inquis etc.

Finally, Votes should also be limited to on per ip address or something to reduce spammage.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
14-06-2007, 14:03
I think the way to go with it would be to stick to Core and Troop choices for the start, and take it from there.

Sooner or later, I think it's safe to assume most stuff will be in plastic anyways. The poll idea is simply so GW know what the gamers are crying out for, and thus, what will get them a lot of money. For example. Savage Orcs are considered unpopular, as not many people use them. Which is false logic, as I'm sure a plastic kit would see them far more popular all of a sudden..