PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings List, Good or Bad?

Silver Dragon Flame
14-06-2007, 10:07
So, I played several opponents last week using a list I thought was good but I crashed and burned, big time. So before burn my dice in my newly built shrine, I thought I should put the list here for evaluation...

It is a slightly themed list after the Liche High Priests fluff. Hence the amount of swarms and some items;

Nebtawi Paniwi, Master of the Dunes 330 ///
Staff of Ravening, Cloak of the Dunes, Collar of Shapesh,

Tomb Prince Kenopi 174 504
Chariot, Chariot of Fire, Light Armour, Spear

Suten Ahnu, the Scribe 165 669
2x Dispel Scroll

Anok Sabé 160 829
Dispel Scroll, Enkhil's Kanopi

19 Tomb Guards 283 1112
Full Command, Banner of the Undying Legion

20 Skeleton Swordsmen 205 1317
Full Command, Light Armour

3 Tomb Swarms 135 1452

Tomb Scorpion 85 1537

3 Ushabti 195 1732

3 Chariots 150 1882
Banner, Musician

10 Light Horsemen 140 2022

Screaming Skull Catapult 110 2132
Skulls of the Foe

14 Skeleton Bowmen 112 2244

Small note: The dispel scrolls were used due to the massive amount of magic coming from some opponents, as a Tzeentch player.

So, apart from eventual tactical flaws from my side, is the list catastrophic?
I think it should work pretty good. Am I wrong?

All comments are appreciated.

Deceiver_666
14-06-2007, 12:14
Nebtawi Paniwi, Master of the Dunes 330 ///
Staff of Ravening, Cloak of the Dunes, Collar of Shapesh
>>> this guys items are all for different playstyles. the staff means you need to get close to the opponant for it to work, the cloak is to put your spells where you want them and to keep him out of trouble, and the collar is for when you are expecting to be wounded, and are near your own troops.
Id suggest running him with the cloak of the dunes, mighty plaques and a scroll or 2. keep him out of sight of the enemy as much as possible

Tomb Prince Kenopi 174 504
Chariot, Chariot of Fire, Light Armour, Spear
>>> personally, i dont like putting my general in a chariot, as if he and his unit gets bogged down in combat, he will die to CR. However, in a chariot, he still needs some surviavibility. id add the collar here.

Suten Ahnu, the Scribe 165 669
2x Dispel Scroll
>>> with the scrolls on the hierophant, give this gut the staff of ravening and put him on horseback

Anok Sabé 160 829
Dispel Scroll, Enkhil's Kanopi
>>> not a fan of the kanopi, but vs. magic heavy armies i guess it could be useful

19 Tomb Guards 283 1112
Full Command, Banner of the Undying Legion
imo put the prince here. if not, boost the unit to 20, so its atleast at full fighting potential

20 Skeleton Swordsmen 205 1317
Full Command, Light Armour
>>> drop the champion, they are worthless

3 Tomb Swarms 135 1452
i only ever run a maximum of 2, as they either have something to hunt or not, and 2 do the job fine

Tomb Scorpion 85 1537
>>> good

3 Ushabti 195 1732
>>>good unit, but id suggest running them in a unit of 4. then they have enough hitting power and survivability to be useful

3 Chariots 150 1882
Banner, Musician
>>>not sure about this, possibly drop the command, or put the undying legion banner here, and give the tomb guard the icon of rakaph

10 Light Horsemen 140 2022
>>> way to many in one unit, they are a distraction unit, and cant hit hard in CC, and will crumble quickly. either drop to 5, or plit the unit in half and run 2 units of 5

Screaming Skull Catapult 110 2132
Skulls of the Foe
>>> always good

14 Skeleton Bowmen 112 2244
>>> 14 is a strange number. imo, drop 5 of the light horsemen from above, and bulk this unit up to 0. then they can reform into a decent fighting block when the enemy gets close enogh

Silver Dragon Flame
14-06-2007, 13:59
The hierophant is the very character the army is based around. The staff and the cloak will remain there. However, the collar could change.

As for the general on a chariot, I usually play chariot heavy armies with King Phar in point. Therefore, ridden princes come naturally.

When it comes to champions, I strongly disagree. Why? Well, imagine your opponent charge you with a monster-ridden character or something else that has a hoard of attacks (Met a bloodthirster last week for instance). If this is the case, he will surely be able to whip up a huge amount of kills, perhaps enough to win the combat aswell as killing five-six models. This is where you challange him. He will still get the same amount of VPs since he gets overkill, but I will lose one model instead of six which leaves me with more lambs when it comes to crumble.

The reason I have only three Ushabti is easy; I only own three and the local game store hasn't gotten their latest shipment yet. It will change to four.

I've noticed that my Chariots lack the necessary power to beat most of my opponents around here. Therefore, a banner for the extra VP and a musician for them draws feels necessary.

2x5 Horsemen is a real good idea. It wouldn't take up any more restrictions and hightens their versatility. Thanks for the advice.

2x 14 Bowmen usually works for me. 14 models seated on a hill carrying a liche priest has no problem reforming to three ranks would it be necessary. That way, the carry three VP at the beginning of combat.

CarlostheCraven
14-06-2007, 14:04
Hi

I am afraid I disagree with Deceiver on many things, although we do hold some common ground.

The High Priest you have is a fantastic build, especially given the way that the 7th edition targeting rules work. You bolster your magic phase, the combination of the cloak and collar allow you to operate close to your units and if you start gettign sniped by table top spells and the like you still have a chance to live.

I also prefer my prince on foot. I tend to give him the golden ankhra and a great weapon. Defense and low-cost punch.

The Kanopi is meant for a prince... priest have scrolls, but I guess it really doesn't make any difference.

Regarding your two fighting block, I always run with at least 25 - you are not playing Vampire Counts here - you must start big to have the outnumber with fear effect. Also you cannot afford to be down on ranks in combat with undead.

Champions (and all other command models) are always worth it in tomb kings combat units - if you read the raise spell for TK they are always the first model raised when you heal the unit. This can potentially give you protracted challenges against uber foes, saving your prince and keeping your rank bonus in tact.

I am even stingier with tomb swarms than Deceiver - I only ever use one base - one base can take care of just about any warmachine crew (except perhaps dwarfs and especially the hellcannon).

I also prefer 4 ushabti.

You do not need command on the chariots - with only three of them in the entire list, they are a support/area suppression force, even with a prince in a chariot of fire.

The light horsemen are indeed useless (at their point cost).

Regarding your rares - you want either two catapults OR two bone giants, not one of each. The catapults are simply amazing. Lately, in order to tone down my list, I have been playing with two bone giants instead - alone they suck. As a flanking unit they are quite good - US6 is very nice. Two of them playing together against Cav is amazing. 5 unstoppable attacks is okay, 10 of them is so, so good.

If you opt for two giants you will have to do some cutting, starting with the fast cav, which should put you very close.

If you opt for two catapults, you should be able make all the changes recommended easily.

Cheers,
Carlos the Craven