PDA

View Full Version : Army of choice statistics?

VigdisVZ
14-06-2007, 16:36
Hey

Oldie player here thinking about taking up playing again! So I had this question, how does the ratio look like now regarding how many players prefer what army! Im guessing there still is a pile of space marine players dominating the list, but does anyone has an idea (or even polling data) about what percentage of players use X army. Locally/globally doesnt matter, all info is interesting.

Second question. 4th edition. Whats new? Whats cheesy and whats cool?

Thanks in advance!

MrPickles
14-06-2007, 16:47
I don't know the specific data, but space marines are still number 1. As for 4th edition, though I started in it, I can still comment. Vehicles are not as good, you can not assault after firing a rapid fire weapon, no more assaulting the same turn after disembarking from transports, and mobility is where it is at now. Cheesy? Rending and min/maxing. 'Nuff said.

Armies that have 4th ed. codecies include:

Tyranid
Space Marines
Black Templars
Tau
Dark Angels
Eldar
Chaos (Coming in September)
Blood Angles (Update in White Dwarf)

Orks are rumored to be after Chaos.

Ktotwf
14-06-2007, 16:53
You forgot that Guard has a 4th edition Codex.

MysteryGilgamesh
14-06-2007, 16:54
Hey, I'm in mostly the same boat, heh. I just got back in a month ago.

Marines are definately still most played. Other than that, all I can give is the local breakdown.

In my area, not counting Marines, I've got a good amount of Tyranids, IG, and Chaos players, with a few Tau (which I just began playing myself), 2 Ork players, 1 SOB/WH guy, 1 Eldar, and 0 of the other forces.

Marines are pretty much all custom Chapters using 'nilla rules or traits. No DA, SW, UM, BA, etc, which surprised me.

MrPickles
14-06-2007, 17:42
You forgot that Guard has a 4th edition Codex.

No, Guard has a 3rd edition codex "with 4th edition in mind".

Feor
14-06-2007, 18:51
From what I've seen in my area Marines dominate followed by Tyranids with Chaos, Guard, and Tau fighting for a distant third.

But I'm hardly familiar with the whole community around here, that's just what I've seen.

And Pickles, you did forget that Blood Angles have half a 4th edition Codex (with the other half out next month)

Irondog
14-06-2007, 19:53
Marines are pretty much top of the heap in numbers. I don't know the exact percentages, but I know a guy who took Orks to the Las Vegas GT. He was one of 4 Ork players in a field of 160 players. His opponents were Chaos (Alpha Legion), Space Wolves, Black Templars, Ultramarines, and Eldar. So 80% MEQ armies. That's about right in my area as well.

samiens
14-06-2007, 20:18
Well, I'm a stalwart from 2nd ed so I'll do my best. I'll list the armies in theorder of popularity as I know it.

1. Space Marines

Pretty obviou. Unlike 2nd ed they're very flexible and truth be told no 1 if you want to build the most powerful army- much to exploit. However, new DA and BA are very 2nd edition. Marines play most effectively as a cheesy gun line. Play DA if youwant to use tactics and the other marine variants BA, SW and BT for variety and a more assaulty army.

2. Chaos

Possibly even more cheesy than marines but about to go quite 2nd ed from what I've read. Not much changed really as they're soon to move away from legion specific armies that bizaarely became prevalent in 3rd ed.

3. Tyranids

Huge and assaulty as you'll remember them. Fast in general but beware Carnifexes are severely weak compared to 2nd ed.

4. Tau

Tau are a new army based on mobile fire power. Awesome at what they do but terrible in assault. The best shooting army.

5. Eldar

These guys are practically identical to how they've been since the olden days. psychic powers are toned down in 3rd and 4th ed but Eldar still rule the roost.

6. Imperial Guard

Same as ever, huge number of troops and tanks. Only marginally effective as a drop force, the worst army effectiveness wise in 40k if you ask me. Vehicles are much weaker now btw.

7. Orks

Big and ugly, the oldest codex without an update and hard to use nowadays. same as ever really. lots of attacks in cc.

8. Inquisition (daemonhunters [grey knights] and sisters of battle)

2 seperate armies. Sisters are weaker marines with odd acts of faith (wierd special actions) to make up for it. Grey Knights are very cool looking but hard to play and model for model the smallest army in general.

9. Dark Eldar

Probably the best army in 40k but due for an update. Lots of firepower speed and the best shock assalt troops in 40k but very rare- which helps them win. Generally considered awful models.

As for statistics. Well, at a guess 70% of armies you'll face will have a 3+ save, 75% will stand and shoot.

Note- you'll hear the word Rending a lot, its considered very cheesy in defiance of statistics...

Hope that helps a bit.

VigdisVZ
14-06-2007, 20:22
Thanks for the info guys.

What strikes me as odd is that eldar seems to have fallen back to a really low rating since I was active. Back then they used to be very common.

samiens
14-06-2007, 20:28
they're not that low really, just supplanted by the others- but you still see a few. OOps- missed necrons by the way, think the termnator... they're quite popular too round about where Eldar/Tau and Nids are

The Song of Spears
14-06-2007, 21:04
Around here Chaos, Space Marines and Imperial Guard are by far the most populous

oh and here are a few warseer polls to help out

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80080

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69170&highlight=army+poll

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76122

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73792

I am sure there are a ton more.

Anyhow.

I can say that as to the places i have played, the most rare armies are Orks and Eldar and Dark Eldar

ColonalKlink
15-06-2007, 05:30
I got to say those stats are quite encouraging (SP) looks like Imp Guard players are on the rise :)

"War what is it good for....?
"Wargames apparently"

VigdisVZ
15-06-2007, 06:11
Thanks for the information!

Eldar seems to be more in the middle from the above linked polls. Orks on the other hand... what happened to them!?! Maybe they'll get a boost when the codex comes?

I sort of like the new look for the orks, they are more mad-max like instead of all that weird tribal indian things that GW was trippin' on when they released 2nd ed orks.

Right now I have enough models to field a small eldar-army and a small space marine-army. But if i decide to start playing again, im probably going to start a new army to get a fresh start. Right now I'm sort of between Sisters and the orks because of the ecclesiastical possibilities of the sisters and the modding possibilities of the orks. Whats the general acceptance on own orky vehicles modded from real world plastic models? Im not going to go for any tournament, but just local play if i can find a club.

I'm also pleasantly surprised that 4th edition continues along the lines of 3rd. 2nd ed was silly. I remember my friend and I had a game where I played Eldar and he Space Marines. His souped up 2nd ed commander took the full firepower of my whole army for 4 turns without coming close to buckling. Those were the days!

cailus
15-06-2007, 07:21
At the peak of 40K at my club, the split was follows (includes secondary armies):

All Space Marines: 11 armies, 37%
Chaos: 3 armies, 10%
Imperial Guard: 4 armies, 11%
Ork: 1 armies, 3% (my army)
Necron: 2 armies, 7%
Dark Eldar: 1 army, 3%
Tau: 3 armies, 10%
Eldar, 2 armies, 7%
Tyranids: 3 armies, 10%

Recently 40K has really slumped though in favour of fantasy so the number of 40k armies has dwindled considerably:

All Space Marines: 7 armies, 41%
Chaos: 2 armies, 12%
IG: 0 armies.
Ork: 0 armies (I refuse to play Orks until the new codex is out)
Necron: 1 army, 6%
Dark Eldar: 0 armies
Tau: 2 armies, 12%
Eldar: 2 armies, 12%
Tyranids: 3 armies, 18%

If one removes secondary armies (i.e. armies rarely fielded), then the 40K element at my club is as good as dead and Marines dominate:

All Space Marines: 5 armies, 50%
Chaos: 1 army, 10%
Necron: 1 army, 10%
Eldar: 1 army, 10%
Tau: 1 army, 10%
Tyranids: 1 army, 10%

Ianos
15-06-2007, 08:05
Back when the GW forums where still up the moderators had provided something like 65% MEQ armies and 35% all others. MEQ(marine equivalents) armies are space marines, chaos marines, daemonhunters, sisters of battle and necrons. But what you will mostly encounter is space marines followed closely by some chaos marines and a few necrons here and there. Then come tyranids and tau who are increasing in popularity and in the bottom of the food chain are eldar, imperial guard and orks.

So if you want to differentiate, pick a non-MEQ and more likely xenos race. If you want to be mainstream pick some type of marines who despite their rarity in the fluff they are the most common force in the real gaming world.

VigdisVZ
15-06-2007, 08:15
Back when the GW forums where still up the moderators had provided something like 65% MEQ armies and 35% all others. MEQ(marine equivalents) armies are space marines, chaos marines, daemonhunters, sisters of battle and necrons. But what you will mostly encounter is space marines followed closely by some chaos marines and a few necrons here and there. Then come tyranids and tau who are increasing in popularity and in the bottom of the food chain are eldar, imperial guard and orks.

So if you want to differentiate, pick a non-MEQ and more likely xenos race. If you want to be mainstream pick some type of marines who despite their rarity in the fluff they are the most common force in the real gaming world.

In spite of this would a sisters army be considered unique?

One_Second_of_Insanity
15-06-2007, 08:29
yes, depends if you want pure sisters or witch hunters though.
if that is an army you are interested in then i would head on over to the tactica witchhunter thread in the tactics forum. lots of good people over there.

VigdisVZ
15-06-2007, 08:35
yes, depends if you want pure sisters or witch hunters though.
if that is an army you are interested in then i would head on over to the tactica witchhunter thread in the tactics forum. lots of good people over there.

Yeah, reading the tactica now :)

The end result would be a sisters-only army, but I may have to add in some of my odd space marines until i get enough lead on the table.