PDA

View Full Version : Single Troll Tactic for O&G

EvilIncarnate
14-06-2007, 20:26
I have been using single trolls in my games and have been getting good returns.
I had a single river troll get charged by a unit of 4 leadbelchers and after 1 turn win and broke the unit.

A thought
Since it is unit str 3 it doesn't cause panic tests for friendly units for any reason.

Has anybody else been using single trolls in their games?

bluebugs
14-06-2007, 23:29
I have not, although it seems like a good idea. Like no one would want to really focus on it because it's only 1 model, but it can pack a punch in combination with some orcs.

Cragspyder
14-06-2007, 23:31
I gotta say that situation you mention is purely a product of good luck and nothing else.

That said, Avian mentions the single troll tactic on his Orcs + Goblins Site,

http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/index.php

Sanjuro
15-06-2007, 14:01
Seems like a good way to eat up your rare slots. :)

Avian
16-06-2007, 19:53
Rare choices are there to be used up anyway and single Trolls are actually very nice for their cost. I quite often run two single Trolls, assuming I have a Ld9 general to make sure they behave.

Shimmergloom
16-06-2007, 20:38
I use to use them all the time, before I switched to two pump wagons instead.

I do think that upgrading your single troll to a river or stone troll though is a waste.

The main case for single trolls are that it's only 40pts. Cheaper than a unit of goblins. Upgrading it just makes it cost more for a throwaway unit.

sun tzu
16-06-2007, 20:54
I cant see a reason to use a single troll.:confused:

I use a unit of 3 or 4 trolls and they work well but what use is 1? ? ?

Avian
16-06-2007, 21:01
The relevant article from my website: Small Monsters Tactica (http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/tactics/small_monsters.php)

It should hopefully explain the good sides to having single Trolls.

Tutore
16-06-2007, 21:32
I recently had great success with two single trolls in a 2k battle against lizardmen. One managed to fight and after a while break a unit of salamanders; the other one killed a wounded saurus scar-vet. Both survived the battle. Other rare choices are pretty useless to me: the dull giant, the useful but unnecessary doom divers, the too-difficult-to-use snotling pump wagon.

bram kuijpers
18-06-2007, 06:56
i havent but if your gonna use one make sure it stays with your general or else pass a stupidity test on ld4

warlord hack'a
23-06-2007, 08:07
I think I will try one in my next battle, I love delaying deployment and having flexible troops and the troll gives you both (thanks once again for a great article Avian)

rastro
23-06-2007, 21:01
I use a single troll but only when i can keep my general by it.

kebabi
23-06-2007, 21:51
Other rare choices are pretty useless to me: the dull giant

How did you manage to get a "dull giant"? :wtf:
Almost a tad cliché, but how can you consider a gargantuan stuffing enemies down his pants "dull"?

On track; a single troll has a lot of potential, but there's a lot of "buts" (keeping within the general 'till hitting combat, not fumbling regeneration rolls and getting in the way of important stuff).
Of course, it's forgiving as, mentioned, it costs 40p. and doesn't cause panic...Kinda like a Pump-wagon.

I myself am getting two though, just 'cause it's too cool to pass up on :p