PDA

View Full Version : Same spell twice on the same unit-possible?

Kerill
15-06-2007, 11:27
The rules don't seem to say this is impossible depending on how you view the "cancelling spells" section on p110. But if, for example:

Unit of tzeentch knights with the blasted standard cast yellow fire. Chaos lord of tzeentch with unit also casts it. Now a unit may only count 1 ward save but would the opponent need to dispel two yellow fire spells to get rid of this unit's ward save?

Or for another example two wizards cast the bears anger on the same model (of course bonuses ony count once but does it now need to be dispelled twice?).
In the first case in particular, although the spell covers the same models it is cast at seperate targets (the standard casts on the unit and the lord casts on himself but also covers the unit).

Rabban
15-06-2007, 11:39
This is perfectly legal, and all the combinations you listed do nothing, some are quite powerful. For example 2 shades of death (shadow list) will make a unit cause terror. Or two curse of years (from the necromantic list) will hurt a lot. Of course these are both unlikely as they require two different wizards to get the spell, be in range and successfully cast it.

Saben
15-06-2007, 17:03
Warhammer 7th edition FAQ, page 5, sub-heading Magic:

Q: If the wizards in my army cast a spell like the Bear's Anger or the Flaming Sword of Rhuin multiple times on the same model, do their bonuses stack up?

A: No, these bonuses are not cumultative (as these spells add their bonuses to the model's base Characteristic), so there is no point casting multiples of them.

Emphasis mine.

Nowhere does it say that your opponent has to dispel a remains in spell twice if you cast it twice on the same unit. That just seems to be your own assumption, but there's nothing anywhere that'd support that idea. The quote I referenced says there is no point in casting the same spell twice on the same target. You're splitting hairs to say the Lord is a seperate target, when he's with a unit if the spell covers the unit he is with then I wouldn't really say he's a seperate target.

Atrahasis
15-06-2007, 17:22
That FAQ only applies to spells affecting characteristics.

Kerill
16-06-2007, 05:25
Even for the bears anger there is no "point" casting them twice because "the bonuses are not cumulative"- doesn't say you can't cast it twice on the same model.

So a nurgle sorcerer could cast the pestilence in a unit several times too. Nasty.

Vattendroppe
16-06-2007, 09:06
It's perfectly legal, yes. Although I dunnoi how often it's necessary.