PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid Harridan

moose
15-06-2007, 20:44
Another post about FW tyranid models got me thinking. I've always liked the Tyranid Harrdian model: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/bugswarm.htm
It's a beautiful model, and i think it's very fluffy in relation to nids.

Does anybody know its battle uses? I currently dont have the imperial armour books - and i like the idea of it flying around with gargoyles. I don't use gargoyles but maybe with a model like harridan accompnying them they could be more fun and effective!

Cheers

Dreachon
15-06-2007, 20:48
I haven't used mine yet, though it is a gorgeus model and it's big, the pics on the FW site don't give a clue as to how big it really is.

moose
15-06-2007, 20:56
The gargoyles look very small on the pictures, so ermmm how big is it then?
It does look massive!

Lostanddamned
15-06-2007, 21:00
Wowzers, I inspired a thread...

Dreachon - you say you own one. Knowing what I know of Forge World resins and looking at that model I can't help but think that it would be a total nightmare to own - constantly falling over and breaking, so I ask you - How well balanced is it (not in gameplay terms)? Or does it require a bigger base?
Also - What did you do with the big resin "stick" that holds it up, in terms of painting, I would have possibly built a capillary tower around it, to a few centimetres below the body, to disguise it a bit.

I have to say it does look very good when it is carrying its "pregnant" load of gargoyles, I can imagine it swooping overhead and turning the sky black as the Gargoyles detach.

If you have the money to afford one, including transport and rules - go for it, its beautiful.

Dreachon
15-06-2007, 21:06
Actually it's well balanced, the small arm you get with the model keeps it nicely on the table and the table get's some pushing from time to time, mounting it on a larger base will definetly prevent it from falling.
Sofar I'm keeping him on his resin stick untill I can come with a nice way of making him a custombase in which the resin stick will be disguised as a tree.

If you have the 232 to efectively use it (Anphelion Project + Harridan, has free postage as over 200) I would go for it.

Sadly I do, and a trygon, hierophant, both hierodules so I can go gargantuan creatures galore.

moose
15-06-2007, 21:13
How is it supposed to be used tactics wise? Do the rules allow it to be effective?

It was either this or some mieotic mines...bit of a difference in price!

Capslock
15-06-2007, 21:17
It's kind of a combination Valkyrie/Marauder. Tough, slow, decent fire power and it drops clutches of gargoyles all over the battle field.

Dreachon
15-06-2007, 21:19
Plus it can seriuosly disrupt your opponents turns.

orangesm
15-06-2007, 21:23
Are you asking for Tactical use in 40k? or in terms of Background? In 40k I think like most flyers it would be difficult to use effectively. It seems that it is suppose to transport Gargoyles close to a target disgorge the Gargoyles and then provide them with some direct heavy weapons support (how I would use it in Epic/AI). Now this working in 40k is probably difficult.

moose
15-06-2007, 21:34
Are you asking for Tactical use in 40k? or in terms of Background? In 40k I think like most flyers it would be difficult to use effectively. It seems that it is suppose to transport Gargoyles close to a target disgorge the Gargoyles and then provide them with some direct heavy weapons support (how I would use it in Epic/AI). Now this working in 40k is probably difficult.

yeah thats kinda of what i wask asking! i only play 40k/fantasy!
anyone else think it's uses are limited in 40k?

Cheers!

orangesm
15-06-2007, 21:41
That being said it may prove useful for 40k: Apocalypse.

Bregalad
16-06-2007, 00:43
Can someone give the dimensions of the model in inch/cm ?

Feor
16-06-2007, 02:31
Sofar I'm keeping him on his resin stick untill I can come with a nice way of making him a custombase in which the resin stick will be disguised as a tree.

Why not just drill holes in the resin stick and stick branches in it? Or is resin hard to drill?

onnotangu
16-06-2007, 02:45
Why not just drill holes in the resin stick and stick branches in it? Or is resin hard to drill?

hard to drill easy to sand

Angelwing
16-06-2007, 03:01
the harridan has a metal pin running the length of the resin stick. I wouldn't advise drilling it!!
I mounted mine on a bigger base. Its slightly weighted to one side, and I dont trust it on its own base.
Pictures of mine can be found in my user gallery: www.warseer.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1700&cat=500&ppuser=16277
Tactics, well you can shoot the biocannons or attack in close combat. Combat is best against tough tanks, saving the cannon for squads. Dropping off gargoyles is useful for objective snatching, but beware: template weapons fired at the harridan effect all the gargoyles too!
Also, remember the harridan is always a reserve. Its a lot of points that may turn up too late in the day or perhaps not at all!

Bolter Bait
16-06-2007, 04:49
Beautiful model but crap rules. I'd love to get one and scare people with it but never actually use it in a game.

Basically, you pay about as much as for a Baneblade, but instead of getting something that can take objectives, engage multiple targets, actually KILL things, and doesn't automatically give the opponent 500+ points at the end of the game (as a flyer, it always ends the game either destroyed by enemy fire or off the board; in a VP game, this sucks), you get a Str 10 Large Blast that arrives from reserves and might show up again turns later.

In other words, you get a more accurate Inquisitorial Lance Strike for seven times the cost without the benefits of ordanance. Or you can make two MC melee attacks (guess who doesn't get +1 attack because it doesn't make an assault move...) that might kill an odd vehicle or two.

Tactics, use a Harridan the same way you use an Inquisitorial Lance Strike: Don't. And this is coming from a loyal Tyranid fan.

The only real good thing about the Harridan is that the Gargoyles you can pay the points to give it don't take up any FA slots in your FOC. They share the detachment with the Harridan. So you could have fun with a "Darken the Skies" themed Tyranid list with a winged Tyrant, two broods of winged Warriors, four broods of Gargoyles and three Harridans.

gLOBS
16-06-2007, 12:39
Now mind you it can make 2 CC attacks instead of shooting. Say your opponent left a IC in the open or on the outskirts of a squad. Move Harridan into btb and if 1 hit connects it can instant kill anything T4 or lower with its S8.

Say opponent has a Bombard or other nasty tank that didn't move this turn. Harridan swoops in autohitting with 2X 8+2d6 armor pen hits. Generally enough to even severely wound a warhound.

Angelwing
16-06-2007, 14:50
... and doesn't automatically give the opponent 500+ points at the end of the game (as a flyer, it always ends the game either destroyed by enemy fire or off the board; in a VP game, this sucks)....

Never noticed this before. The harridan would count as a non vehicle unit thats off table- full VP's!
Does this count for flyers? Cant find anything about it in IA4.

Anyhow, the dimensions: length 17 inches approx, height (including stem and base) 10 inches approx and wingspan 15 inches approx.

Bolter Bait
16-06-2007, 20:18
Never noticed this before. The harridan would count as a non vehicle unit thats off table- full VP's!
Does this count for flyers? Cant find anything about it in IA4.The IA rules unfortunately do not take into account being off the table. This is an oversight and it doesn't just penalize Tyranids. Take for instance an immobile vehicle that doesn't have a Trojan (I think that is what it is called) to pull it. If you're playing an Escalation mission, that vehicle can never show up and gives the opponent full VP.

Same goes for all Flyers. They can only end the game either destroyed or off the table, this also gives full VPs to the opponent. Mechanical Flyers have it slightly better, since they can often can land on the battlefield or remain in play by hovering. Tyranids have none of those options despite the fact that Harridans are mentioned/rumoured to sometimes slither like snakes along the ground.

Using a Harridan is nothing but a poor investment tactically. I'd rather spend a similar amount of money and 300 more points to field a Heirophant, for at least its rules are usuable and if it ends up giving the opponent full VPs, the enemy has actually earned them instead of just getting them for free.

Chaos and Evil
17-06-2007, 01:30
Some flyers, like the Vulture, Valkyrie, Thunderhawk etc, have the option to land.

chaos0xomega
17-06-2007, 01:35
Wow.... so how the hell is my aircav guard army supposed to win? All my squads are in valkyries!

Cleutin
17-06-2007, 01:47
Wow.... so how the hell is my aircav guard army supposed to win? All my squads are in valkyries!

Engage the VTOL hover mode on the last turn, it's a gamble but if they don't get shot down you're laughing.

and more O.T. theres a lovely story about a Harridan taking down an Elysian air-field in IA4 if you want an example of background Harridan uses.

Angelwing
18-06-2007, 02:13
Flying vehicles are quite safe. I've noted that under vehicles on the VP chart it doesnt say 'off table' as one of the conditions. As long as your aircraft is undamaged or has weapon destroyed it doesnt give away VP's.
I believe its an oversight when the harridan rules were created. Its very easy to overlook.
Although yes by RAW, they give away the vp's whatever happens, I cant believe thats what the writers were thinking in the design for the harridan. There would be very little point in fielding the thing beyond 'its a cool model'.
I think a quick discussion with your opponent is called for on this one.

BlackViper
18-06-2007, 11:00
The other thing I'd note is that unlike other flyers, infantry don't need to roll 6s to hit it.

Bolter Bait
18-06-2007, 11:46
The other thing I'd note is that unlike other flyers, infantry don't need to roll 6s to hit it.
Oh, right, the reason why Tyranids weren't in Aeronauticus Imperialis or whatever it was called. Our flyers are slow are so slow that infantry can shoot at them with the only disadvantage being that the Harridan would be treated as being 12" further.