PDA

View Full Version : Three Player Scenarios

Azyreth
15-06-2007, 21:45
Hello, Me and two friends have tried a few three player battles, usually a carnage type battle. But the problem is their are very few scenarios that are made for three people. I was wondering if anyone here knew of any that we could try?

16-06-2007, 02:44
best bet is make corners the deployment zone (about 12' from each side) and use objectives.

weather its a spot on the feild or randomly draw cards with objectives (kill a HQ from each side, eleminate all troops, controll 3 table quarters, or whatever you want)

rintinglen
16-06-2007, 03:06
If one of you has a markedly larger army than the others, then it can be fun to gang up on him. You each get 1000 points, he gets 2000 (orwhatever) and then go at it.
Another variant scenario that can work well 2 on 1 is bunker assault. Make a few of those bunkers that they show in the BRB, or buy some of the nifty aftermarket ones from Armorcast or Forgeworld, and one guy deploys in the bunkers and attempts to repel the onslaught of the other two. Score victory points as normal, but put the defenders dead into separate piles, one for each attacker.
A cities of death type scenario where you are each trying to capture a critical building also works well. Each of you start from a corner, equidistant from the objective, then charge for the target building, striving to take it while beating off the desparate attacks of your rivals.
Have fun!

SisterMordagg
16-06-2007, 03:12
You have to try and prevent the two on one syndrome. That's why objectives work better than straight killing, otherwise there is a tendancy to kill one person than beat up each other.

I think 505 is dead on.

Duel_Crisis
16-06-2007, 03:33
You have to try and prevent the two on one syndrome. That's why objectives work better than straight killing, otherwise there is a tendancy to kill one person than beat up each other.

I think 505 is dead on.

The other side of that is one keeps the other two weak and at each others throats and then picks off the survior...

Leonidas300
16-06-2007, 06:21
I've been playing a great three person scenario, but it's quite complex.

First you need an 4' X 8' table. This is simply capture the objective which is roughly in the middle of the table (I'll tell you why later).

The deployment zones are the corner of the table, or the long table edge.
Roll to see who gets to choose. If a corner is picked then he can deploy up to 2 feet from the corner and six inches onto the board (that's 4 feet all together). The other two deployment zones are the opposite corner on the same long table edge and the long table edge opposite the two corners. The deployment zone on the long table edge is four feet total six inches in ,centered on the table edge.

So if you got the deployment right, two players should occupy the corners of the same long table edge, and the third should occupy the long table edge opposite the two corners.

You'll need to detirmine who goes first second and third.

The objective is an arcane structure toward the middle of the table and slightly away from the long table edge deployment zone (you'll have to place the objective after the deployment zones have been picked). The objective should be equal distance from each of the three deployment zones (it works out to be about 24").

The game is simply capture the objective but here's the twist.

A player may capture the objective with a scoring unit only. It can be captured by moving onto the objective or consolidating onto the objective. Once the objective is captured all other units must stay at least 1" away from the objective unless that unit is assaulting or is in close combat with the unit which has captured the objective. If a unit that has the objective becomes none scoring then that unit must move away on it's next movement, unless it is in close combat.

If a unit which has captured the objective is assaulted and is in close combat then the objective is considered contested.

A unit which has captured the objective may use the arcane structure on it's shooting phase instead of shooting. The arcane structure summons a random greater deamon (yes you read it right).

Roll a D6. On a 1 you summon a Bloodthirster. On a 2 a Great Unclean One. On a 3 a Lord of Change. On a 4 a Keeper of Secrets. On a 5 you may choose. And on a 6 you may choose and roll again.

The deamons are deployed using the drop pod rules (they can deep strike but can't be destroyed by the scatter). Once the deamon(s) are deployed they move and act on their own turn after the third player's turn (essentially they go last). They are controlled by who ever controls the objective. If the objective is contested or is not controlled by any player, the deamons will move toward the nearest unit (that is not also a deamon summoned by the artifact), and assault (and shoot etc.) it.

Whoever has the objective and is not contested by the end of seven rounds wins. All other results are a draw.

This scenario works in a lot of ways. First of all going last has it's advantages. Such as if you capture the objective on your turn then the deamon goes right after you and your opponents don't get a chance to shoot it. You can also set yourself up to try to capture or contest the objective at the very end of the game. The two against one problem is fixed because players will be forced to concentrate on the objective simply because it's so powerfull. And also whoever captures the objective will become the natural target, but this is of course countered by the extra support the objective provides.

Well if you get a chance to try this scenario, post what you think of it. Or better yet a battle report!

16-06-2007, 15:42
The other side of that is one keeps the other two weak and at each others throats and then picks off the survior...

thats an issue the two kiling eachother has to deal with. once you add more then 2 people there will be shady business (shady being smart in some eyes)

CaptainSenioris
16-06-2007, 15:46
There was a three player specific scenario in chapter approved years back, 'battle at the camp' I think, I'll see if I can find it and put up a summary later.

Azyreth
17-06-2007, 02:31
To Leonidas300: We tried the scenario earlier today, and it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately we never had a chance to get past turn 4, and only two greater demons were spawned. (One ending up off the edge of the table and the other at the end of the fourth turn.) If I get a chance, I'll see if I can write a battle report, but I don't know if it will be worth it-lasting only four turns. I don't know if it affected the battle too much, but we played on a circle table. I believe its about 5 feet across. It actually works out very well for three player battles. Thanks for posting the scenario up!

Polonius
17-06-2007, 02:52
the vast majority of the time you're better of playing 2 on 1 than actually fighting three way. 2 on 1 games can be a lot of fun, especially if the two guys get to split one FOC, but can design their armies to work together. Classic fun.

Asi the Red
17-06-2007, 03:28
Hey ya'.

Link to a scenario brief called Carpe Ranam (http://warpstorm.net/multiplayermissions.htm).

Leonidas300
17-06-2007, 21:06
To Leonidas300: We tried the scenario earlier today, and it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately we never had a chance to get past turn 4, and only two greater demons were spawned. (One ending up off the edge of the table and the other at the end of the fourth turn.) If I get a chance, I'll see if I can write a battle report, but I don't know if it will be worth it-lasting only four turns. I don't know if it affected the battle too much, but we played on a circle table. I believe its about 5 feet across. It actually works out very well for three player battles. Thanks for posting the scenario up!

The thing is, if it doesn't effect the battle then all the better. I've allways liked this scenario because it keeps all the players concentrated on the center of the board where two on one isn't an issue.

Also I use the drop pod rules for deep striking the Greater Deamons which is that if the Deamon scatters to a point where it would be destroyed then subtract the distance scattered until it is safe for it (of course it cannot deep strike into base to base so no immediate assaults).

Also we allways seem to play with large armies (I guess that's why it works with a large table). But we have played this scenario many times tweeking it as we go. If the Greater Deamon seems too powerfull for smaller point games then you could allways go with something else (we have also used genestealers). But I've allways thought that the objective should be very powerfull, so that it keeps all the players fighting for it. In our games it is allways being contested, lots of times it's a huge brawl in the middle of the table.

GodofWarTx
17-06-2007, 21:13
that scenario would be very difficult if you were IG or Tau. The tau would be anchored to the objective, so their mobility goes away, and then they get mauled in CC.

The Guard would have similar problems.

Maleficum
17-06-2007, 21:45
the vast majority of the time you're better of playing 2 on 1 than actually fighting three way. 2 on 1 games can be a lot of fun, especially if the two guys get to split one FOC, but can design their armies to work together. Classic fun.

Very true! Very true!

One idea to add to this would be to let the two have 'secret agendaes', drawn at the start of the game, but after set-up. Ideas for these extra mission objectives could be:

1. catching a certain enemy character (either IC or 'sergeant'-equivalent)

2. catching a certain building

3. searching a certain building (spending one turn to do so, no shooting)

4. catching an allied character

5. gunning down a fellow squad, fulfilled by beeing behind the squad at end-game

6. capturing a special object

7. capturing an enemy vehicle

8. drinking the blood of, eating or sodomizing an enemy squad without the allied squads noticing (Inspired by the report of some Battle Sisters on the Flesh Tearers on Armageddon)
suggested armies: Blood Angels, Flesh Tearers, Chaos, anyone under chaos influence, perhaps using Daemonhunter Adversaries) and lastly Noise Marines and saracen inspired IG Rough Riders.

9. Planting explosives (spending a turn) that will destroy a vital objective or an important logistic avenue for your ally

10. placing a trap for your ally

Note that a lot of these ideas take into account that the alliance is quite temporary

My other suggestion is that the third player sets up terrain, choose mission (or make one up), help with picture- and note-taking, look up rules, make coffee/open beer bottles or simply watch the game while painting a squad...

This is very nice for all, and something we quite frequently do in my group.

Leonidas300
17-06-2007, 23:27
that scenario would be very difficult if you were IG or Tau. The tau would be anchored to the objective, so their mobility goes away, and then they get mauled in CC.

I've actually played this scenario with IG, and did pretty well. The trick is to have at least one unit that can move up to capture the objective. While your opponent will try to capture the objective you can sit back and blast them with pie plates. Remember non scoring units cannot capture the objective. The one game I managed to win with the IG. My tanks eventually rolled up surrounded the objective and my opponents could not get their foot sloggers even near it as they had couldn't find a way around the tanks!

Duel_Crisis
18-06-2007, 02:57

Sure you could. Drop a Tau unit off on the hill, and then have all other units support it. Its almost an old bait tactic...

Sithlord
18-06-2007, 08:55
the most easiest scenario for 3 players (and fair enough) is to take and hold. Here is what I play :
Mission Special rule :
Dusk and Dawn, infiltrate, deep strike, Reserve

setting up :
Play on 6'X4' tables.
Put the 'objective' (size 4"X4" is best) and it counts as size 3 (or WYSWYG in cities of death, try to make it as high as land raider/monolith) and impassable.
Put barricades (or something that provide cover of 4+) 6" from objective building.
Put rest of terrain as much as the players like :).

Objective:
The winner are the one who control objective building within 6" with no enemy scoring unit within 6", any other result are draw. No Vp counts.

Deployment :
mark 12" deployment zone around the tabletop.
roll dice ,highest number determine who takes turn to deploy.
All your unit may deploy ANYWHERE within 12" deployment zone, and this unit MUST be 24" set apart from enemy unit. Unit that can't be deployed because of this are held in Reserve (if they appear in late game, the location are random table edge, use scatter dice to determine this). Infiltrate unit follow as normal rules as in rulebook and do not need to take 24" apart.
Line of retreat on closest table edge.
Roll dice again, highest number decide the order in which turn the players will play!