PDA

View Full Version : DoW Heroes

Tuch
16-06-2007, 14:47
Can DoW heroes join the units of the rest of the army as normal? As in can I place my Dark Emissary with my Chaos Marauders? For some reason I thought there was a rule that this was not possible when using DoW but now I can't seem to find anything saying it's not legal.

Thanx in advance
Tuch

Lord Zarkov
16-06-2007, 15:51
I've heared it on the internet that there is such a rule, but IIRC I've never seen it in print, and if it's not so it is non-existant.

However bear in mind, it is a heavily debated subject on wheather you are allowed to take DOW charcters anyway so make sure you check what your local interpretation is.

Festus
16-06-2007, 17:15
Hi

You may not take named DoW characters, as those can not be hired by DoW armies. See Army selection of the DoW list.

You may hire generic DoW characters (like the Truthsayer) and those work like normal characters.

Festus

Atrahasis
16-06-2007, 17:22
You may not take generic DoW characters, as those can not be hired.

Do you have a quotation to back that up?

Festus
16-06-2007, 17:55
Hi

Do you have a quotation to back that up?
Oh, sorry, my bad. I switched the description... I edited my previous post accordingly.

Lord Zarkov
16-06-2007, 19:46
Hi

You may not take named DoW characters, as those can not be hired by DoW armies. See Army selection of the DoW list.

You may hire generic DoW characters (like the Truthsayer) and those work like normal characters.

Festus

Which is the way I read it as well, but I've seen many disagree

belgarath97
16-06-2007, 21:46
Which is the way I read it as well, but I've seen many disagree

Whats the debate, the rules for the generic characters (especially truthsayer ands dar emmisary) say they can be takeen by certian armies.

lparigi34
17-06-2007, 00:22
Ok... so Im really confused here.

Can anybody give me an example of what army can Gazhak Khan lead, just for one example...

Festus
17-06-2007, 07:57
DoW, and DoW only. (If his special rules do not say anything else - but I really am too lazy to check)

Festus

Masque
17-06-2007, 08:11
Can anyone confirm or deny if generic DoW characters (Merc Capt/Gen, Hireling Wiz/Lord, Paymaster) can be taken by non-DoW armies? Can you give me any kind of reference as proof either way?

Festus
17-06-2007, 09:20
You can include DoW characters in your armies in this game. cf. Annual 2004, p.57

Festus

Lord Zarkov
17-06-2007, 11:41
Whats the debate, the rules for the generic characters (especially truthsayer ands dar emmisary) say they can be takeen by certian armies.

I think it comes from characters being units, but IMO the BRB is fairly clear that they are, thus they may be hired accoring to the DOW rules.

Suffice to say I agree with Festus' interpretation.

ZomboCom
17-06-2007, 20:47
From Direwolf....

Q. Can Regiments of Renown or Dogs of War units be joined by non-Dogs
of War Characters?

A. No.
S. Anthony Reynolds - Warhammer Design Team

Q. Can other Warhammer armies hire non-named Dogs of War characters
(i.e. Mercenary General, Hireling Wizard Lord, Paymaster, Mercenary
Captain, Hireling Wizard) as a Rare choice?

A. No, you can't field these types of Dogs of War characters unless
you're a Dogs of War army.
S. Ian Hawkes - Warhammer Design Team

Atrahasis
17-06-2007, 20:59
Q. Does anyone care what the Direwolf FAQ says?

A. Not really.

Greyfire
18-06-2007, 01:59

Ah, the Truthsayer - last time I saw him he was working hand-in-hand with the Dark Emissary and a Brittonian Sorceress (lord level) to really wreck the game. Such happy times.

I thought I'd ready they weren't generic - but the GW army list says they still each count as a rare/hero only. Sad.

Anyone know of anything to make that combo illegal?

-=- Greyfire

CarlostheCraven
18-06-2007, 02:31
Hi

I do not have the book on hand (it is stowed away for the summer), but I believe the annual that contains the post-dark shadows Truthsayer and Dark emissary state that they cannot be on the same army at the same time, in the header before their entries.

However, there is nothing that says you cannot include either two Truthsayers or two Dark Emissaries in the same 2k list along with a wizard lord...

As for generic DoW characters, I haven't seen anyone in these parts try it, but they are a "unit", so I suppose it can be done.

Also, I do not see why they cannot join or leave any unit they like, as long as they follow all the normal restrictions.

Cheers,
Carlos the Craven

Masque
18-06-2007, 02:44
So, now that we're mostly agreed that you can take generic DoW characters...

If I take a Hireling Wizard Lord he takes a Rare choice, right?

Festus
18-06-2007, 06:38
Right. But remember that he is still a Lord, though ...

Masque
18-06-2007, 07:03
Right. But remember that he is still a Lord, though ...

Are you saying you think he takes both a rare and lord spot? If you take a special DoW unit, like Dwarfs, they only take a rare spot not a special and a rare. Since it's the same rule that lets you take a character as lets you take any other DoW unit why would it work any differently?

Rabban
18-06-2007, 10:59
Are you saying you think he takes both a rare and lord spot? If you take a special DoW unit, like Dwarfs, they only take a rare spot not a special and a rare. Since it's the same rule that lets you take a character as lets you take any other DoW unit why would it work any differently?

As far as I know most (or all?) army books specify the number of characters (not heroes) and lords. A dog of war character is definitely a character. Also, in chronicles 2004 on the dogs of war list it says (p57)

"The number of characters is the total number of characters allowed in the army, including Lords" (emphasis theirs),
although it's not clear if this is intended to refer purely to the DOW list, or all lists using them as well.