PDA

View Full Version : space hulk vs space hulk

ghost21
16-06-2007, 20:23
when space hulk came out origanlythere was a timer element in the second one this was removed

do you prefer the first one or the second?

KITS AND BITS
17-06-2007, 01:05
played space hulk hundreds of times , including in stores and never heard of a timer element ,are you sure it was space hulk ?

MasterModakai
17-06-2007, 01:42
There was a time limit to the Marine players turn when Space Hulk was released. You had to make you decisions in a finite amount of time, if you didn't, you were SOL. Added a nice pucker factor to the game, made the it edgier knowing that you had to make a decision right then and there and live with the consequences. It was removed in later revisions.

I'd have to say that even thought the timer is a bit of a PITA, it made for good games. If GW were to ever re-release SH as a board-style game, I hope they reintroduce the timer.

Casarez
17-06-2007, 02:38
played space hulk hundreds of times , including in stores and never heard of a timer element ,are you sure it was space hulk ?

The 1st Edition had a timer. My buddy and I play with it every time. We like the element it adds.

Brother Loki
17-06-2007, 14:00
Definitely the timer added to the game. It really made the marine player feel up against it. I never understood why they removed it from the 2nd ed.

KITS AND BITS
17-06-2007, 16:31
well sounds like i missed out , i always played genestealers or traitors when the rules came out ,i hope they do as planned and re-release it with plastic tiles ,the game was so atmospheric it was unreal for a board game ,i also played aliens board game which was very similar in alot of ways .
strange that i cans spend a year painting an eldar army and not worry about loosing any games with them but if i played a game of space hulk i was paranoid about loosing any of my 5 man squad

rkunisch
18-06-2007, 10:08
I also liked the timer. Usually it was plenty enough time for the Marines. I never understood why they removed it.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Patriarch
18-06-2007, 12:09
The timer was in 1st edition only, and only applied to the marines. The stealers were supposed to have superhuman response times so they didn't have the same time pressure, also their tactical decisions were much easier (do we send models down this corridor or this one?).

The marine times were set at around 1 minute, plus 30 secs per sergeant, an extra 30 secs for a captain, and an extra 30 secs for having any psykers.

The timer added a huge element of tension, but to be honest I preferred having time to think through marine tactics, so we usually didn't bother with it.

And 1st edition was superior in every way to 2nd with the exception of the Terminator models!

BlackViper
19-06-2007, 08:31
Love the timer - in my opinion it MAKES the game, adds to the pressure and claustrophobic feeling. I hear they took it out in 2nd ed, but I've never played that.

Always thought the turns were a little long though. I think it's about 3.5 minutes for a 5 man squad with a serge...

Ophidian
19-06-2007, 09:15
Again, I thought it was incredibly atmospheric. It's especially great as the time goes down as Sergeants (etc) bite the dust - the little grunts getting progressively more freaked out...

Catferret
19-06-2007, 16:59
The timer was a great element. You really went out of your way to protect your Sergeants and Captain. The Captain was awesome anyway. Best to keep him alive. IIRC Traitor Termies also had a time limit. Think it was in Space Hulk Companion/Compendium(?).

Dwarf Supreme
21-06-2007, 16:45
I too prefer 1st edition with the timer. I don't recall ever running out of time, but the time limit did make the game more tense for the Marine player.

Grimshawl
05-07-2007, 19:14
1st edition was definitely superior, the timer added alot to the game. Space Hulk is definitely a great board game. I heard Jervis said there arent any plns to bring it back now tho?

mattjgilbert
06-07-2007, 10:07
1st ed was by far the best, whether you used the timer or not.

Pacific
09-07-2007, 22:11
Yeah I agree, I played 1st ed. to death, and my interest in 2nd when it was released only lasted a coupleof weeks.

Im not sure if it was just a case of experiences never being the same 2nd time round, but im sure the lack of a timer contributed to that.

CRasterImage
10-07-2007, 22:21
I like the 1st Edition's sustained fire rules compared to the 2nd Edition's nerf'd sustained fire rule + overkill rule.

In a nutshell: 1st Ed. sustained fire rule states that a Terminator can keep improving his chances of hitting with each shot fired, as long as he doesn't perform any other actions. In the 2nd Ed. rules, the feature is the same, except it is limited to only 1 level of improvement. After that 1st bump in accuracy, it stays the same from then on.

I feel that the 1st Ed. version is tactically superior. It limits randomness by giving the Terminator the option of spending everything he has, to kill that one pesky 'stealer.

To compensate for nerfing the sustained fire rule, the 2nd Ed. added the concept of "Overkill Fire" where there is a chance that a single bolter attack might kill two 'stealers instead of one. 2nd Ed. rules are too random for me.

However, I don't really like the flamer rules for either edition. 1st Ed. flamer rules would be good, if the area of effect wasn't so arbitrary. The rule is based on a single piece of map section. Which can be 1 square or as many as 9 squares. Very arbitrary. Something like "area covered by flame equals any square within 3 steps of the target square. Squares blocked by doors are not included" would be better.