PDA

View Full Version : 2250 WE List First try

Rimmz
16-06-2007, 22:57
OK guys this is my first attempt at a WE list Ive been playing Hordes of Chaos for a few years now.

The idea of this list is combat avoidance I should be able to avoid combat entirely with this list and just whittle down the other army with arrow fire.

Also let me know if you think its overly cheesy or broken as well Im not entirely sure what to think in that department. In my mind its fine because of all the core units. I know other people think differently and I want to know what the think.

5 Glade Riders @ 138 Pts
Champion, Musician

5 Glade Riders @ 138 Pts
Champion, Musician

6 Glade Riders @ 138 Pts
Champion, Musician

6 Glade Riders @ 138 Pts
Champion, Musician

6 Glade Riders @ 138 Pts
Champion, Musician

6 Glade Riders @ 138 Pts
Champion, Musician

10 Waywatchers @ 248 Pts
Shadow Sentinel

10 Waywatchers @ 248 Pts
Shadow Sentinel

1 Noble @ 143 Pts
General; Spear; Longbow; Light Armor; Shield
Resplendence of Luminescents
Starfire Arrows
Elf Steed

1 Noble @ 133 Pts
Spear; Longbow; Light Amour; Shield
Asyendi's Bane
Hail of Doom Arrow
Elf Steed

1 Alter Highborn @ 265 Pts
Bow of Loren
Arcane Bodkins

1 Spellsinger @ 187 Pts
Magic Level 2;
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll
Elf Steed

Casting Pool: 4
Dispel Pool: 3
Models in Army: 58

Total Army Cost: 2148

Some of my thoughts on it. Dropping a Noble for another Slinger dropping them both to lv 1 and 2 more scrolls for more Magic Defense and picking up another unit of Glade Riders.

Was also debating about dropping 1 of the Waywatcher units for 2 more Glade Rider units. But the KB is one of the only ways I have to deal with Heavy Armor.

RavenBloodwind
17-06-2007, 04:43
Well you've certainly made a list that should be better suited than almost any other to avoid combat.

The dominant problem I see is that you have nothing (aside from an alter lord) which is actually capable of surviving a combat when one inevitably occurs. Remember you can be march blocked and your 9" move may not allow enough positioning to avoid melee. Obviously you can flee but that's a different kettle of fish.

I think you will do well to drop the champions on the glade rider units which will not be being joined by characters, and the Waywatchers as the champions in missile units are rather poor even for the relatively inexpensive upgrade. Really, a BS 6 waywatcher champ sounds really cool until you look at the S3 hit he is putting out.

The real problem I see this list having is the inability to win games. You have remarkably little shooting for an essentially shooting oriented army. Okay, this is admittedly more a movement-oriented army but you don't score many VPs in the movement phase.

You have 62 shots a turn (I think I counted this correctly including 5 for the alter lord). Unfortunately they're ALL S3 (other than the single HoDA shot) meaning you'll struggle to bring down armored troops (dwarfs in particular). Twenty KB shots a turn will do some damage over time, but won't be breaking a lot of units.

I think the army may be entertaining to play and will certainly challenge some opponents but with every trooper you have costing in at 24 pts you have a TINY army compared to what it is capable of.

With these limitations I think you'll be hard pressed to actually get VPs aside from getting some units below half their starting strength.

Rimmz
17-06-2007, 13:38
Thank you for the very constructive feedback Raven. I knew when I drew this up it was kind of weak in the teeth. After talking Theory hammer with some friends last night none of which play WE we came up with pretty much the same conclusions you just laid out :p

We discussed some combined Arms WE armies and I think I'm going to write up a list to that effect here in the next few hours (work today and so far its slow) I would applicate it if you would critique it for me as you actually seem to know what your doing and can give feedback without the "WTFBBQ n00b uR l1st suxx0rz" :D

Not having much experience playing wood elves what do you consider the prime core unit for WE? Glade Riders seem the best choice IMO but Dryads seem like they can tear stuff up pretty good as well. (however coming from chaos I don't like demon type units even ones without instability) Glade Guard seem like that would be ok if you can coax your opponent into 15" and then keep them away from them.

Once again thanks for the advice Ill see what I can do to put your advice into practice.

Leonathion
18-06-2007, 15:56
Most lists that do appear have a nice combination of combat and shooting, and the one thing that seems possible with woodelves (without having an army unable to score VPs) is twinkling the list towards a prefered choice of tactics, without leaving the original list...

Most list look something like this:

HodA Noble
BoL Alter
Branchwraith
Spellsinger

Gladeguard
Gladeguard
Dryads
Dryads
Gladeriders

Wildriders
Wardancers

Treeman
Waywatchers

This is classic, some magic, some shooting (a lot for any army but moderate for WE) and some hard hitting ccunits together with an anvil. This list is verry tweakable towards yours, but the main design for shooty, combat avoiding WE is a lot of gladeguard and a lot of treesingin'. Gladeriders are good and models great, but the speed they gain is, as said, just enough to deny your oponent VP. What of this layout?:

BoL Alter
Spellsinger
Spellsinger
Spellsinger

Gladeguard
Gladeguard
Gladeguard
Gladeguard
Gladeriders
Dryads
Dryads

Treekin <-- inevitable anvil

Waywathcers
Waywatchers

This list can put up enough fire, and a lot more on str 4, got some punch, and can totaly avoid combat by treesinging (provided you got 2 woods, preferably 3)

Good luck!