PDA

View Full Version : Tomb King's 2000 Tourney List TK, IB, LP, LP

Esco Thomson
18-06-2007, 17:12
This is the latest incarnation of my 2,000 point list. I've decided to go against the grain a bit, and keep the Icon Bearer around for a bit longer. So any suggestions should please keep that in mind. I'm mainly looking for a little feedback and any minor tweaks or changes, nothing too major, as I have been able to achieve about a 75% win ratio with this list. Without further ado, here it is:

Characters
Tomb King(General)
Chariot, Flail of Skulls, Collar of Shapesh, Brooch of the Great Desert
Icon Bearer
Armor of the Ages, Vambraces of the Sun
Liche Priest(Hierophant)
Cloak of the Dunes, Hieratic Jar
Liche Priest
Skeletal Steed, Staff of Ravening
Character Total: 753
King joins chariot unit containing the BotUL. Banner helps to offset any transfered wounds via collar. Icon Bearer joins the unit of TG and is equipped in an attempt to offset the lower toughness and survivability in comparison to a TP. I also made sure to include the SoR and the BotUL to have two bound spells to help cover for the lack of an incantation. Standard setup for Hierophant and other priest with mounted liche joining Light Horsemen.

Core
3 Chariots
Standard Bearer, Banner of the Undying Legion
3 Chariots
5 Skeleton Light Horsemen
Core Total: 355
I had been rolling with a larger chariot unit for quite some time, but in testing I found that I rarely needed the look out sir roll, nor was able to get all models into contact. Horsemen generally follow the general's unit to provide additional incantation support.

Special
19 Tomb Guard
Champion, Standard Bearer, Icon of Rakaph
5 Carrion
Tomb Scorpion
Tomb Scorpion
Special Total: 582
TG provide a very maneuverable block of static CR. Slower moving then most of the force, but they are quite resilient. Will usually start with both Hierophant and Icon bearer in the unit, with Hiero flying out when opportunity arises. Carrion and scorpion are pretty self explanatory, march blocking, war machine and mage hunting, as well as crossfire for the carrion.

Rare
Bone Giant
Screaming Skull Catapult
Rare Total: 310
BG does what he does best, runs up with the army and charges any small units, or runs in for a combined charge. I've never had any of these spectacular turns I read of with him, but overall he has proven to be reliable and a valuable asset. He almost assures to draw shooting to him, which can sometimes be a blessing. SSC shoots skulls...I make sure to be careful not to risk scattering into my forces, has only happened to me once, and I plan on keeping it that way.
Army Total: 2000

forgottenlor
19-06-2007, 07:47
Its a balanced list. I might consider swapping out the brooch of the great desert for the chariot of fire.

TheDrugLordX
19-06-2007, 16:51
Not too fond of your list, would prefer to make it more offensive (less infantry, more chariots) or more deffensive (less chariots, more infantry) but as you only wanted to make minor tweaks, I got a couple of good suggestions for you:

1) For your kings unit; the flail of skulls is one of the best items in the TK magic item arsenal. However, the low WS of the TK (or not low, but average) means that you won't be able to use the flail to 100%. IMO the Icon of the sacred eye (+1 to hit) is a lot more worth than the Banne of the undying legion. Your kings unit is supposed to hit hard first turn, and kill as much as possible. Against characters, your king wreck havoc with +1 to hit and causing double wounds. Against infantry, challange the champion and observe as you crush him with a +5 overkill to combat resolution.

2) Your icon bearer is not a combat hero, but you have equiped yours like one. Even with the chosen items, he'll be killed against most enemies. If you want the icon bearer, I suggest giving him the Banner of Hidden dead. Summon forth your light cav unit to block enemy threats or threaten enemy flanks, I assure you he'll be more worth his points this way.

Hope you like the ideas. Cheers

pcgamer72
20-06-2007, 02:24
Well, it's definitely a different list, which is always a good thing. Most lists tend to be either very offensive or defensive, but you have elements of both.

Why no Skulls of the Foe on your Catapult though? I would suggest dropping a Carrion for this, but you might plan on using them for Crossfire? However, they only have to take one wound to eliminate that possibility, and with only some parts of your army being fast, they might see some fire.

AMCSteel
20-06-2007, 02:57
Icon of hidden death with the light cav is definatly a smart idea, just make sure your icon bearer doesn't die before he can use it. The brooch is definatly needed since you are limiting your magic/dispell, with using a slot for an Icon Bearer. Though I might think about taking DrugLord's sugestion here to, and putting your King in the Chariot of Fire (I know flamable king, flaming chariot :) But I would drop the Hieratic Jar and and the Brooch there if you do that.

I run a bone Giant and a SSC as well (without skulls of foe as well), though neither ever perform that well for me. The giant kills more usually, but nothing near his 220 price cost, and the catapult misfires about every other turn. I might if you consider using a casket, like I am considering, but since you have less priests, this might not work out so well.

I think your list is pretty solid, and will just require playing to figure out what changes to make, since many people's play styles differ greatly.

And if you can find the points, I greatly recomend giving your second Chariot team the Mirage standard. Especially when fighting wood elves or other shooty armies. It helps get them across the field of battle without losses. I would almost recomended it for your TK's Chariot squad, but the reasons for the Icon of R, are quite good as well.