PDA

View Full Version : Armour save with Scaly Skin

TeddyC
14-08-2005, 17:54
Can i just check ive got this right in my head before i play a game with this guy......

Scaly skin save on a scar vet is (5+)

Then i give him Light armour (4+ save total)

Then a sheild (3+ save total)

Then with a hand weapon in combat its 2+ total......

(next bit im not doing but could it be done?)

If this is right I could in theory give him spawning of quetzl (2+ save total)

Then Mount him on a cold one (1- save total? 2- in combat..... meaning only S6 (-3) or above could reduce his save enough to wound him in combat, S5 shooting) :eek:

librerian_samae
14-08-2005, 17:58
Yup thats right, they can get very scary saves :evilgrin:

Avian
14-08-2005, 18:00
Remember that a '1' rolled to save always fails, even if you have an effective 1+ save or better.

librerian_samae
14-08-2005, 18:02
true but you would need a scarly high strength to reduce his save to something that could easily be failed

TeddyC
14-08-2005, 18:02
ACE! right..... against high elves this guy on a cold one might just be worth investing in!

and yes of course the nasty little '1 always fails'

Warlord Gnashgrod
14-08-2005, 18:08
true but you would need a scarly high strength to reduce his save to something that could easily be failed
Or a magic weapon that ignores armor saves. ;)

athamas
14-08-2005, 18:13
remember you cant get the bonus for Hw and shield in combat if you are mounted!

librerian_samae
14-08-2005, 18:15
really, I didnt know that, hmm oh well just giving him the enchanted sheild then :p

Warlord Gnashgrod
14-08-2005, 18:18
remember you cant get the bonus for Hw and shield in combat if you are mounted!
Is this true? Where does it say this in the rules? Would you please give a book and page number? This is a rule I'd like to see. I don't doubt you, but I'd still like to see it myself.

Festus
14-08-2005, 18:24
Hi

It is under weapon rules:

Models on foot armed with HW+Shield may add +1 to their Armour.

Festus

Cheesejoff
14-08-2005, 18:37
Yup, you only get the bonus if you are on foot. It's not that mounts are a special exception, just the bonus only applies on foot in the first place.

So your Saurus would get a 0+ save (Which is still pretty good) but remember, a roll of a 1 always fails.

Warlord Gnashgrod
14-08-2005, 21:38
Frankly, except in smaller point games maybe, I don't see any point in using a lot of your points giving your character a super-great armor save, when there's so many things that will just ignore it completely(some magic weapons, cannons, stone throwers, some magic spells, etc etc). In such cases, the points become wasted. You're better off getting a decent AS and then also getting something that will give you a Ward save as well, IMO.

Lady's Champion
14-08-2005, 21:51
Yes, hand weapon and shield only when on foot- that was a blow for my empire knights, although i USE MY LANCES MORE OFTEN NOW! (sorry capslock went on)

TeddyC
15-08-2005, 00:07
ahhh like i say... i wasnt really planning on using him like that. it was just a thought. i wanted to double checkthat first bit. I mean for 4 points to give a 2/3+ armour save cant be bad!

Flame
15-08-2005, 08:36
I would recomend it. Very few characters will ever have magic weapons (they'll mostly be packing a big axe). If nothing else, it allows him to challange somebody hard and take the wounds that he would do on his unit and save them, which allows for a better combat res.