PDA

View Full Version : A 2,250pt. Chaos Mortals Army: Time for my own...

Cole
14-08-2005, 17:06
Ok, here's the deal. After years of playing with nothing more than my friends' armies and collectig only one or two units of that they didn't have or have enough of, I've decided to stuff my money saving ways and actually go through the whole process of buying and painting a whole army all my own. I wanted something evil. I've never been much of a "good guy" when it comes to games. Closest I get is neutral (ie. Mercenaries). I've been playing switching between regular Dark Elves and some Empire/DoW for a while now and while I like them a lot I'm kind of sick of looking at them right now. So I picked an army that's not all that common in the local area.....Chaos Mortals. We have a few Daemon Legions, a couple of BoC players, and one Tzeentch w/ Dragon Lord and MSU junkie.

Now I'm more of a fluff gamer really and so I've tried to stick to the types of armies I read about in the books. That means a General, his advisors, his bodyguard, mutants/cultists/henchmen, and some beasts.

So far here's what I've got planned:

Lord: 280pts.
Chaos Lord (Sword of Might, Chaos armor, Enchanted Shield, Book of Secrets)

Hero: 145pts
Aspiring Champion (Biting Blade, Armor of Damnation, Battle Standard)

Hero: 170pts
Level 2 Chaos Sorcerer (Hand weapon, Chaos armor, Power Familiar)

Hero: 166pts.
Level 2 Bray Shaman (Bray staff, 2 Dispel Scrolls)

Core: 283pts.
16 Warriors of Chaos (Shields, Musician, Standard bearer w/ War Banner)

Core: 155pts.
20 Marauders (Light armor, Shields, Musician, Standard bearer)

Core: 155pts.
20 Marauders (Light armor, Shields, Musician, Standard bearer)

Core: 86pts.
5 Marauder Horsemen (Spears, Shields, Musician)

Core: 86pts.
5 Marauder Horsemen (Spears, Shields, Musician)

Core: 30pts.
5 Chaos Warhounds

Core: 30pts.
5 Chaos Warhounds

Core: 235pts.
5 Chosen Chaos Knights (Musician)

Core: 120pts.
Chaos Chariot

Core: 120pts.
Chaos Chariot

Special: 64pts.
5 Gors (Additional hand weapons, Musician)
6 Ungors

Special: 64pts.
5 Gors (Additional hand weapons, Musician)
6 Ungors

Rare: 60pts.
Chaos Spawn

Total: 2,249pts.
Power Dice: 8
Dispel Dice: 6
# of Models: 110

Of course my experience with and against Chaos Mortals is limited so I tried to divide up the army into some basic groups: Core (Warriors and Marauders), Screens (Herds and Warhounds), Hammers (Knights and Chariots), and Flankers (Horsemen and Spawn). This is where you folks come in. Suggestions are most welcome, though realize I'm not a big tourny player (only been to 2 small local ones since 6th ed. came out) and tend to take what I like or will look good over what's practical (hence the reason the Horsemen don't have flails and the Warriors don't have halberds).

Cheesejoff
14-08-2005, 18:36
Looks pretty good to me, but remember Chaos Knights are the real elites of a mortal force. You should treat them like a heavy infantry unit since they can beat most infantry in a head-on fight. You might consider a champion/standard, or getting more of them, maybe even dropping chosen to save the points.

Sanjuro
15-08-2005, 10:40
I have some thoughts here, I'm just gonna write them down as they occur to me. I apologize in advance if my reply seems somewhat unstructured - it's just a reflection of my personality. ;)

Chaos Lord - He has book of secrets. Good! Give him lore of fire - this enables him to cast a D6 hits S4 fireball, which is very useful while he is footslogging it into combat. You also gain one power dice and one dispel dice. This is a very useful item for a lord. I don't know about the sword - a great weapon is almost always better for a chaos character. Not only in points effectiveness, but also since it gives you chariot killing power. Noone will charge that unit with a chariot if it contains a GW-wielding chaos loonie.

BSB Hero I suppose this character is only there because of your love for what looks good on the battlefield? A BSB can be somewhat useful in an infantry-based chaos army like yours, but to be honest, you should aim for winning combats with combined charges (chariot + ranked unit is a winner) rather than having to rely on a BSB to stick around. However, if you ditch his magic gear and give him banner of the gods, you are playing a whole different ballgame. It completely changes how a Chaos army plays - there is no longer a need to protect your flanks, since you can rely on your infantry center to stick around long enough for your killing units to move around and strike at the enemie's exposed flanks. In 2250 pts, there is actually room for the stupidly overpriced banner of the gods as well. Just a thought. You might also consider giving this guy a magic banner with a bound spell - for instance the D6 hits S4 magic missile one. Always good to pepper your enemy with magic missiles.

Sorceror A good choise. I'd use lore of fire myself. Can't get enough of those fireballs - and a chaos sorceror is one of the few wizards who can put the Flaming Sword of Rhuin spell to good use. Nice equipment too.

Bray-shaman Good choise for a scroll caddy. You have excellent magic defense and pretty good offense as well. 8 power dice and 6 dispel dice, am I right?

Warriors Here is what I would do - make then 17 strong, put the lord in there and run them 6 wide in three ranks. The warbanner makes up for the lost rank bonus, and you will get more killing power to the front. Hw/shield is a solid choise for warriors, so you don't have to be sorry that you lost out on halberds. With a 3+ save in combat, they are quite hard to dent. Still, Chaos Warriors remain one of the worst choises available to a Chaos General...

Marauder footsoldiers Excellent! These fellas are your friends there is not much in the chaos army book that can provide static CR for this cheap. Remember to always use them in tandem with a chariot and you have a winning combination.

Marauder horse Outstanding! I never play a single game of Warhammer with my chaos lads without at least one unit of marauder horse. They are superb light cavalry and have a multitude of roles to fill on the battlefield. Lucky you brought two units then! These fellas are just worth their weight in gold. Darting around flanks - killing war machines (since you lack flyers) - interrupting enemy formations - you name it, marauder horse can do it.

Warhounds Their main role is to be deployed first (giving you an idea of where the enemy will concentrate his forces), getting in the way of enemy formations and, of course, springing fanatics. Just make sure they don't cause any panic checks when they are wiped out by shooting or combat. You wouldn't want to see a unit flee due to some dogs getting hammered.

Chosen Knights You got the right idea - keep it cheap! No standard is good, this way they don't give up any additional VP when they die. I'd suspect that many opponents will just concentrate on killing your chosen, failing to realize where the true danger in your list lies (combined charges with ranked unit and flankers/chariots). And also, they ARE chosen chaos knights, so if they are ignored, they will eat up just about everything but the most solid ranked units and monsters.

Chariots They are VITAL to your army list. Without these guys and their supporting charges, your ranked units will lack much of their punch. And if you are in a real pinch, a dual charge from chaos chariots will tend to flatten most units. But I'd keep them behind, supporting the infantry. It is what they do best, after all.

Beast Herds Most will ignore them and go after the more juicy targets. As screens they are very good, but in the role of counter-skirmishers they are excellent! Your army is very vulnerable to skirmishers hiding in terrain and moving towards your flanks, march blocking you, etc. Beast herds can counter such threats, making short notice of most skirmishing units (barring the strong skirmishers in the new WE army). I say every mortal chaos army needs at least one or two of these units. If they can get around the flanks of the enemy they can also be useful as flankers, adding perhaps a few kills and a flank bonus.

The Spawn Best used in pairs, this is random fun for the whole family. I've actually had a spawn win combat against 25 or so night goblins with full command (did 6 kills). But their true use is of course for interrupting enemy battle lines, tying up units of S3 troops indefinitly. If nothing else, they are good arrow-magnets.

I think you have a good and balanced army going here, although I feel it could use a few flyers or some such. It is really a very slow army, so you need to kill war machines pretty quickly, or they will have a field day picking off slow chaos footsloggers. Furies, perhaps? Nurglings are also good for a Chaos footslogging army. Charge them into a combat where your warriors or marauders are hacking away. Suddenly, the enemy gets -1 to hit, even if they strike at your warriors. But maybe you don't want to break an Undivided theme? Also, march blockers are REALLY the bane of your army, so spare no effort in dealing with them.